SB alert jingles

Started by gaggedLouise, August 03, 2016, 03:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

All of a sudden I'm getting "cling-clang" sounds, sometimes several times a minute. At first I didn't get where they came from, then I realized that they are most likely the alert sounds generated when people enter or exit the shoutbox. And what's strange is, they are heard even when I'm not actively following the SB (=haven't clicked with the cursor on the reply-to-SB line in the last few minutes). Hpw can I turn those alert sounds off, and without turning off all audio in the browser?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Vekseid

Well there's no audio in the embedded version. If that's what is making noise, something else is triggering it.

On the fullscreen there is a little mute button on the bottom right.

gaggedLouise

It looks like it's some other trigger...but I'm fairly sure it's from E and perhaps triggered by the SB. I just went in and muted the sound with that button, not sure if it's going to work though.

edit: still getting those sounds.

Oniya

If you have multiple tabs open - do any of them have the little speaker icon visible on them?  I know with Firefox, I can mute individual tabs (handy for playing tower-defense games while listening to YouTube videos).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

There is a "mute sound on this tab" option, but it doesn't look like that's the solution.

See, I realized these sounds don't have anything to do with the site, not even with the browser - as I'm getting the same "boing" sound even right after the machine's been started up, when only the desktop is up. It's the same alert sound as when a usb stick is moved in and out of a port, but it seems to happen in an irregular way when the mouse is getting moved about , with the cursor (and the mouse is usb connected). At one point I actually got a quick error message saying "can't recognize the new USB device" but it disappeared before I had time to look into it further. Maybe the mouse is getting a bit old (been using it for at least five years)? But I checked both the mouse and all default USB disk places on the control panel, it says they're all functioning properly and I'm not having any real trouble with the mouse. I don't normally have any usb stick plugged into one of those ports as a steady thing.

Oniya

Could be something like that - I have a USB printer that will randomly 'initialize' for no apparent reason.  I don't always have my headphones on, so I don't know if it does the 'boing' every time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17