Computer Freezing

Started by yugi006, August 17, 2014, 02:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yugi006

So I have a problem with my netbook freezing. This mainly happens when I am doing something that involves sound like watching a video or something even like mumble. This happens randomly and can last for a few seconds to a few minutes. Sometime the sound freezes and you hear a buzzing noise. Sometimes you hear that with sound going really slow. Sometimes there is no sound.

I have check around and some say it is something with the driver. This never happened when I had wired internet. This started when I got wireless internet. Could the internet be the problem?

I recently got a tablet and so far this has only happened twice on it when watching something. So it to s rare on my tablet.

Any solutions?

Mercurio123

Since it sounds like, even though it may be rare, you experience the same issue on two different devices, both on wireless. that it may have something to do with it.
Are you experiencing the problems on your netbook when you have wireless turned off? Obviously this will prevent you from using the internet but if you get the sound issues mainly when you are streaming from the net it may well be that your wireless connection is a bit on the flakey side.
On low bandwidth moments audio can hang or become malformed.
Usually the best way to prove things is to rule them out so don't use the net on your netbook for a bit by turning off wireless, play a game on it, maybe some music and see if you can replicate the problem. If not and you turn internet back on and you start experiencing the same issues again you have a good chance that your wireless connection is indeed the culprit.

If however you get the same problem then it sounds like you may need to update the drivers for your soundcard.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Nowherewoman

You don't say what netbook you have, Yugi006. Some of the earlier Acer Inspires were known for having funky wireless issues- but this doesn't sound like that, honestly. It sounds like a driver or sound h'ware problem.

Couple of other things to test:

turn off your onboard sound in the BIOS , and see if the problem persists.

as Mercurio said, definitely be sure you have the most recent manufacturer drivers for sound and 'net both. In fact, for everything, because stuff synergizes oddly some times.

Logitech makes a pretty cheap USB wireless sound & headset combo- IIR, I paid less than 30 bucks for it when I upgraded my desktop vidcard and suddenly had no slot space for a standalone sound card. Turn off onboard sound, plug in the USB stub, it should auto-recognize, and see if you have the same issue.

Does it happen if you stream from an optical drive, like a DVD?
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

yugi006

My netbook is an Asus Eee. Don't think it matters much. It's only rare for my tablet. It occurs much more frequently on my netbook. It not only does this at home. I've tried it on the school's wireless network where I work and sometimes it freezes up on me too so I doubt it's an internet problem especially since other computers in my house don't have that problem. I'm in the process of trying to get my drivers updated. Some of the drivers I'm unable to download for some reason. Gives me errors.

I can try turning off my wirless as well as the onboard sound but there is no guarantee that my computer will freeze as it is random.

I'll check out the USB wirless sound thing you mentioned.