Dungeons & Dragons. You know you want it.

Started by Eurus, January 19, 2011, 01:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eurus

Call me crazy, but lately the itch to DM again has been growing on me. And D&D 3.5 is what I know best. Now, I can't guarantee that anything will come of this - it depends in great part on if anyone else is actually interested, and also if I can avoid any RL drama sapping my motivation before anything even gets started - but I figure it's worth a try, right? I have at least two ideas right now - more, really, but only two that are even slightly solid. So I'll throw them up, along with any others that form, and see what if anything gets attention. And hey, if you have an idea of your own that you've been wanting to play,

Note that I'm perfectly fine if you're clueless about D&D but want to give it a try - most of the needed material can actually be found legally online (hooray for open game licenses!), and I'll provide any help you need. If on the other hand the general consensus is that a given plot would be better off unhampered by the mechanical aspects of D&D, so be it, I'm not wedded to the system. Without further ado:

What the World Owes Us
You may not be a bad person. You might have been quite noble, had circumstances allowed. Or perhaps you're simply a Lovecraftian horror that despises all life with the heat of a thousand suns. I don't judge. Regardless, you have somehow reached the end of your rope. You are done rolling over, done being powerless. There are legends, rumors of power beyond imagining for those with the courage to seek it and the resolve to wield it... a wild dream? Yes, but it is of such dreams that change is wrought. And these creatures who travel with you? Well, they're certainly useful - this is not a job for one man - and who knows? Perhaps if you get along, there may be room for them in your world when you succeed.

(A variant on the classic quest for power and glory. Adventures are already violent hobos with disturbingly relative ethics, why not drop the pretensions? Whether you learn to trust and cooperate with your partners and decide to work toward a common goal or wait for the best time to stab them in the back is up to you - just be sure that if there is any serious backstabbing going on it's later rather than sooner. Need to have enough time for y'all to get to know and loathe each other and form your alliances, right? Questions of ethics and your impact on the world will definitely come up - a sociopathic monster or two is fine by me, but it might be more entertaining in the long run to play a simply misguided, frustrated, narcissistic or determined-to-the-point-of-blindness character with room for development. Almost any character concept would be at least considered, and probably somewhere from three to five characters would be ideal.)

A Snowball's Chance
Hell is not just an allegory, a threat, or a comfort imagined by those hoping for justice in the next life if not this one. It is a very real place, and its claws reach far. Countless men have been damned and destroyed by even fleeting association with it, and woe betide the man who actually manages to outwit a devil, for they are infinitely patient, clever, and vengeful. No sane man would dream of associating with it. So what manner of madman would dare invade it?

(Yes, a campaign in Hell itself. The Nine Hells, to be precise, although it's perfectly fine if you don't know what the heck that means. Unlike the last one, I'd be expecting some party unity here - I adore personal sideplots and diverging goals and will be happy to facilitate them, but backstabbing is likely to end you up all alone in a place you really don't want to be. As for your actual mission, several ideas are possible - maybe you're trying to steal the contract that Asmodeus tricked the gods into signing eons ago giving him dominion over damned souls and the ability to lead them into corruption? Or perhaps you're simply trying to free a soul wrongfully damned, or retrieve your own after losing claim to it in some way. Maybe you all have entirely different goals, and need to work together to accomplish them. Options are limitless.)

Nooblet

I've had no experience, sadly, with D&D, but I'd be willing to give either storyline(Or any other that comes up) a try if you dont mind doing a little explaining :D
You can never be to young to die, but you can be to old to live. Might as well enjoy life while you can.

Cruxy

You stupidly cool person. I read through your introduction thread and I think if I were ever to play D&D on this site, it would HAVE to be with someone like you. I've table-topped a bit before, but I think it might have been just before 3.5. I do own a copy of the 3.5 player's handbook I believe... so I should be pretty cool to get-down. I think your second idea is imaginative, but the first one would make for much more fun as far as characters and play and whatnot go. PM me if you ever get (approved first I guess) enough replies to your postings to justify starting this up.

Eurus

Quote from: Cruxy on January 19, 2011, 12:54:41 PM
You stupidly cool person. I read through your introduction thread and I think if I were ever to play D&D on this site, it would HAVE to be with someone like you. I've table-topped a bit before, but I think it might have been just before 3.5. I do own a copy of the 3.5 player's handbook I believe... so I should be pretty cool to get-down. I think your second idea is imaginative, but the first one would make for much more fun as far as characters and play and whatnot go. PM me if you ever get (approved first I guess) enough replies to your postings to justify starting this up.

Oh my, you flatter me. I'll definitely let you know if this gets up and running.

sleepingferret

As one of the resident D&D addicts, I may throw my hand in for this as well.

Mercutio

I'm so down for this. Name the time, name your preferences, I'm there. I love D&D to death.

Are you thinking there's going to be class/race restrictions, homebrew, etc.? Keep me posted; I'd love to participate.

DGblitz

If this is something you're still interested in, I'm game. Pretty experienced with 3.5
...I'm working on it; I'll have one when I'm able to put some thought into it

DG's ONs & OFFs

Dragoon

Same here, I'd be interested. I'm in a 3.5 group at my college. Actually several. lmao.

vyttor

Newcomer raises his hand to show interest.

Totally familiar with 3.0 and 3.5, and loved the first idea.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I am sworn by the Oath of the Drake
----------------------------------------------------------------

Grunt777

I'm down.  I've been playing DnD for a while.  I've played through EVERY version, and have the most experience with 3.5 :)
Like Dead Or Alive?  Hate Dead or Alive?  Just want to beat on something's head until you hit tonsils?  JOIN US AT, DEAD FANTASY!

Mayakterra

I'm a DM of 6 years myself. Just say the word and you've got a player ;)

SomeGuy

Well, it looks like there's plenty enough players already. But I'll throw my hat into the ring for either. Got a pretty good number of character ideas floating around, which would play out in an interesting fashion with the settings.

vyttor

It looks like the author of the original post has gone MIA, however...
-------------------------------------------------------------
I am sworn by the Oath of the Drake
----------------------------------------------------------------

Grunt777

Supercede him!   If he doesn't show after a few more drops.
Like Dead Or Alive?  Hate Dead or Alive?  Just want to beat on something's head until you hit tonsils?  JOIN US AT, DEAD FANTASY!

vanTheMad

I too, would love to throw my name into the ring on this one, I've been a DM for a few years now and 3.5 rocks. I'd love to do the first storyline too, I've got a good character in mind, too.

MassAtk330

I would also love a participate in this. Im currently learning how to play the 3.5 rules as i am self ttaught T_T(hard) and slow going with tit . i also have the 3.5 books.

Shadow Goddess

Ala Rai Sen

Are you still recruiting for this? I'd be interested if you are.

Miroque

If recruiting.. <raises hand> colour me intrested.

Grahzn

I would verily like to join, I have experience mainly with support and melee classes, though I suppose slapping together a caster wouldn't be to much work for me either.

Drunkentarget

I'm new to the forum but an old hand at 3.5, I'd imagine capacity has already been reached for interested parties but I figure I might as well post in the off chance others drop off.
the Snowball campaign sounds awesome, though that just might be the paladin of freedom in my brain champing at the bit to go beat up some devils.

Genbu83

3.5 is great, though how do you feel about Pathfinder?

Altair1983

I would be interested in this as well. I love to play in a nine hells campaign it has been so long!

TiaMaria

Barquel

It seems like this may be a dead horse, but if it isn't and if anyone is interested in some other 3.5 project, I will throw my hat into the ring.
“A little she strove, and much repented,
And whispering, ‘I will ne’er consent’ — consented.”