One on One Story

Started by Aviva, June 29, 2010, 05:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aviva

I am hoping to start a rather gritty perhaps Victorian or Medieval era story.

I have the idea of something criminal based.

There is currently no plan to turn it into a romance but open to leads and seeing where the story goes. 
Back from a very long break.

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Chrystal

Sounds intriguing. What did you have in mind?

And yes, I'm stalking you... ;)

JK. Tell me to bugger off and I'll go bother someone else.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Aviva

*Laughs.*

Ah but while you are stalking me, I am stalking you so that would lead us to running in circles and bumping heads..... :P

I got the idea from watching "From Hell." Though not as extreme as the crimes in that film go.

Perhaps a investigator trying to track a criminal down?

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Chrystal

Hmmm... Mutual stalkage! Yum!

*suddenly realises that sounds a lot ruder than was intended*  :-[ Lucky we're both girls...?

Um, anyway, yeah... I haven't seen that film, but a medieval or Victorian crime drama sounds interesting.

Do you have a preference? Personally I have a strong leaning towards the bad girl, but if you prefer that role I will happily take the cop.

Also, what level of realism were you after? Medieval can mean fantasy, or it can mean genuine Middle Ages stuff with no magic or mythical beasts. And of course Victorian can include Steam-Punk.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Aviva

*Laughs.*

Be my guest and take the bad girl role.  ;)

I have lots of experience in playing the Medieval fantasy role due to my time on NWN so for a change try Victorian times as I have a draw to that era.

Going to do a little bit of research as I would prefer to play a female and believe women could not work at that time so may have to try and pass her off as a male. May be interesting. As long as you do not mind that of course.

On and Offs

Story Ideas

woegman

Much as I'd hate to intrude, a Victorian or pseudo-Victorian setting is something that's hard for me to resist - if y'all decide you might like a third party playing, I'll humble throw in my hat.

As far as women working at the time, it would have been very rare...however, don't forget that the most powerful person in England at the time was Queen Victoria, a monarch by her own and not through marriage.  The suffrage movement was also in full swing at that time, with many a noble woman lending her hand and support to women's rights.  There is also some precedence for a woman working in a man's field where the outcome of her work wouldn't be known.  Female writers and journalists often published using their initials instead of their full names, to grant their work a level of respect that they wouldn't otherwise be afforded.

Just some thoughts to help you along - I hope you both have an excellent game together!

Chrystal

Women did work. Florence Nightingale being a noteable example.

It's just that the jobs they could do were very restricted.

May I suggest making your character into a sort of Victorian ere P.I.? A female Sherlock Holmes, if you wish? Conan-Doyle actually laid the foundations of modern investigative police work with his novels (a bit like Roddenberry laid the foundation for much technology we see today). Also, the Suffragette movement was just getting started. It would be almost impossible for a female investigator to be taken seriously by the police, which gives you a pretext for doing the investigation.

If you want a "full time" job for her, you could go with a teacher at a girl's school...

My other idea is to have your character know mine, but not know at first that she is the criminal. Maybe an ex pupil?

Hi woegman. Maybe you can be the bumbling PC Plod, or Inspector Corner of The Yard? Hee hee!

Incidentally, the last RP site I was a member of, I had a couple of Victorian RPs going, but totally different stories.

woegman

Ah! That's it!!!! If you'll have me, of course...I could play Aviva's "beard"!  A blustering, clueless, daft fellow, an actor perhaps, that is the "detective", while she plays the part of "assistant" whilst actually being the brains of the whole shebang? It's a thought :D

Aviva

*Finally gets in later than normal looking voer the posts and smiles warmly.*

I like all of those ideas personaly. Let two become three as it were.  ;)

Who would like to begin?

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Chrystal

Um... Well as I'm the cause of the scenario so to speak, I guess that would be me?

Just out of interest, do you guys want character info posts, or just jump in with a description?

Um... A crap. Now this is why I've been asking people what they would name things: I am so bad at thinking up names for RP threads!

I'll give it some thought and see what I can come up with.

Aviva

If you wish to have character info posts to gets us into the swing may be a good idea.

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Chrystal

Too late! Hunting The Cat. Not sure if that is what you were expecting, but....

Oh I've kind-of left it open as to country. I'd prefer England, but this is Aviva's RP.

Aviva

*Laughs* That title is rather irionic I have to say.

Tine to go take a peek.  England is the place for me. :)

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Chrystal

Hey, did you notice, we acquired a fourth? Kathy's fence. Actually he did it rather well!

Aviva

Aye I noticed and aye that he did.

On and Offs

Story Ideas