A Big F*#% You to Safeway, Dole, and Chiquita

Started by Valencia, June 13, 2011, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Since the commentary in here seems to be getting a tad incivil, let's keep it polite, or the thread will be taking a breather.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Valencia

http://stoptarsands.org/
http://forestethics.org/tar-sands

http://stoptarsands.yolasite.com/

@Jude: That is what you feel inclined to think on the subject. Have at. I will agree to disagree. But before you say that GMO is completely harmless to the body, check it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html

@Zakharra: Considering that GMO wasn't the original topic here, I think I can say whatever I'd like on the subject, as can you. The reason why I emphasized 'spiritual' was to indicate that it had no basis in scientific fact to begin with. Your criticism is redundant. And being a complete stranger to me I hardly think you can be the one to judge my emotions. Nuance is definitely lost over text-based communication.

@Oniya: My brother is a type 1 diabetic, and I have never once gotten on his case about where his insulin comes from. If you expect me to be all or nothing for all GMOs, I must apologize but I'm not that much of a fanatic. I certainly hope no more of my immediate circle requires any of what you mentioned. Not because that would require me to come down on them about GMOs, but because I want them all to be healthy. And the shady company I'm referring to throughout my statements on GMO has been specifically Monsanto.

I refuse to eat anything GMO, period. I've been allergic to soy my whole life, which I'm now looking at as a blessing. And I've eliminated corn-based anything from my diet as well. There are many other options out there.

Neophyte

I have to say this argument is silly. GMO leads to organ failure in rats...but the GMO's that we eat as humans don't have enough bad things in them to kill us, just like if you left a rat next to an xray machine for about the same amount of time it would take for us to get an xray, the rat could obtain cancer. GMO's make it so that we aren't starving or dieing in the streets because we have enough food to fuel our country.

Plus, the Huffington Post is silly in my opinion. I don't ever believe what I read there unless someone else posts it first

Valencia

Quote from: Neophyte on June 15, 2011, 06:05:10 PM
GMO's make it so that we aren't starving or dieing in the streets because we have enough food to fuel our country.

GMO's are not mutually exclusive to that. There has been plenty of corn and food grown without them being GMO. And we still have the availability to grow more. We have the ability to grow enough food to feed the planet, every last one of us. It's just that there are many hindrances by those who make profit out of the current and tragic situation we are in, and who in turn said profits to see that laws protect their damaging means of business.

Zakharra

Quote from: Valencia on June 15, 2011, 06:18:12 PM
GMO's are not mutually exclusive to that. There has been plenty of corn and food grown without them being GMO. And we still have the availability to grow more. We have the ability to grow enough food to feed the planet, every last one of us. It's just that there are many hindrances by those who make profit out of the current and tragic situation we are in, and who in turn said profits to see that laws protect their damaging means of business.

The problem is GMOs let us grow a lot of food, fast. It also lets us grow foods that can survive in environments that they might not have been able to before, to have added vitamins and minerals that they didn't before. They can also have built in protections against diseases, fungal infections and parasites that 'natural' crops don't have.  All of which helps feed people and expands the variity of food avalible to eat.

Back on topic;  Unless there is a way to know exactly what diesel and gas was made from tar sands, I don't think it's feasible to boycott the companies.  All of the named ones do business all over the world. They very likely get their fuel  from many different companies depending on the location of the ships, trains and trucks. Since the tarsands are located in Canada, why not boycott businesses there that use the fuel? The smaller businesses there would feel the impact of a boycott a lot more than the large companies you named in your op.

Jude

QuoteBut before you say that GMO is completely harmless to the body
Well, the good news is, I didn't say that and I'm not going to.

There are some genetic modifications that we could make to food that would be definitely harmful (for example, trying to isolate the genes associated with toxicity in various poisons and splicing them with potatoes), so it isn't at all rational to say that GMO is always completely harmless to the body.  However, if done responsibly, there is no logical reason to believe that all forms of GMO lead to negative effects.  The study you linked is simply one piece of evidence that one particular instance of genetic modification is bad for rats.  That is not sufficient evidence whatsoever to conclude that GMO is bad as a whole, it's a technique that can be applied responsibly or irresponsibly.  Furthermore, animal to human testing is not always generalizable and that's one exploratory study that needs replication and further extrapolation.

If you look at the study that you quoted itself rather than reading politicized summations, you'll find that their authors actually agree with what I have been saying word for word practically: 
QuotePatho-physiological profiles are unique for each GM crop/food, underlining the necessity for a case-by-case evaluation of their safety, as is largely admitted and agreed by regulators. It is not possible to make comments concerning any general, similar subchronic toxic effect for all GM foods.
It seems apparent to me that you've bought into a lot of fear mongering and paranoia spread by activists and polemics and barely skimmed the surface of the research in this area.  If you'd like to learn more, please check out:  http://www.biofortified.org/

Caeli

Everybody, stop.

To those wishing to discuss GMOs: If you wish to start a fresh topic debating GMOs and the benefits or consequences of consuming them, you are welcome to continue the debate there.

To Valencia: You have been repeatedly asked for unbiased sources. This means articles or studies published in peer-reviewed journals. If you continue to make claims and slander companies without backing them up with specific quotes and statistics  from said unbiased sources, this thread will be locked.

Discussions in P&R are held to a higher standard because of the nature of the topics; if you cannot meet those standards, then you should not be posting here.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Valencia

Unbiased sources...... Well, since even the term 'unbiased' can't really be plied in order to satisfy the masses, apparently, I will no longer make the attempt.

Trieste

Not entirely sure where you've 'plied' the term unbiased and whatnot, but whatever the case, you've been asked multiple times to supply the source of your info about a) the refining process, and b) Safeway, Dole, and Chiquita. Later, it was made clear that Greenpeace is not an acceptable source given its history of deception.

I've personally searched through peer-reviewed sources, and I know at least two others have done the same, and have found nothing to substantiate what you're saying. So, the responsibility is yours to back up what you're claiming. If you can't back it up, go make a rant about it or something. Don't bring it into a forum that's been set aside for discussion and debate. It's not a personal attack so much as a requirement that you don't say things without being able to support them.

Noelle

Valencia, I understand you're probably frustrated, but you have to understand that nobody here is shooting down your sources just because they disagree -- they're telling you that not all sources are created equal. Research isn't as simple as typing in a few key terms on Google and plucking out the ones that say what you want them to say. Not all sources are reliable -- and people here in this thread are telling you that because research can be dishonest. Look at the whole anti-vaccination scheme; the guy was shown to be a fraud, admitted to being a fraud, and yet there is still a sizable group of well-intentioned parents who are potentially harming their children because they've bought into the wrong information.

It's not an attempt to make you look stupid, it's an attempt to promote intelligent discussion from credible sources so that we all might have a better understanding of the truth, and not some organization's spin on the subject from either side of the issue. If this isn't something that appeals to you or you can't be bothered to do research and would just prefer to rant, I think the Bad and the Ugly section might suit you better.