Iranian-Americans say history is at hand

Started by The Overlord, June 18, 2009, 02:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omniferious

QuoteWhich is a rarity in the Middle East.

No, it's not. People are constantly finding ways to try and stand up to the tyrannical theocracy of the Al-Sahd family in Saudi Arabia, which has been propped up by the US government for nearly sixty years. Before Al-Qaeda was trying to take down the USA it was trying to destabilize the decadent, repressive Al-Sahd regime, before it realized that it was fruitless to do that while the military Goliath of the US armed forces was stationed in every country in the ME and had been for over five decades.

Those tribesmen who kidnap people in Yemen all the time? They're trying to gain freedom and stand up to a corrupt regime. Sure they're kidnapping Westerners like me to do it, but they're still standing up to a corrupt regime.

Just because the way a lot of Middle Easterners pursue freedom is violent doesn't mean it's not valid.

Zakharra

Quote from: Omniferious on June 27, 2009, 07:57:47 PM
No, it's not. People are constantly finding ways to try and stand up to the tyrannical theocracy of the Al-Sahd family in Saudi Arabia, which has been propped up by the US government for nearly sixty years. Before Al-Qaeda was trying to take down the USA it was trying to destabilize the decadent, repressive Al-Sahd regime, before it realized that it was fruitless to do that while the military Goliath of the US armed forces was stationed in every country in the ME and had been for over five decades.

Those tribesmen who kidnap people in Yemen all the time? They're trying to gain freedom and stand up to a corrupt regime. Sure they're kidnapping Westerners like me to do it, but they're still standing up to a corrupt regime.

Just because the way a lot of Middle Easterners pursue freedom is violent doesn't mean it's not valid.

I doubt most of the 'freedom' fighters in the ME are wanting real freedom like what we have in the West. Given the history there it's extremely likely that it would end up being the same old tribal/religious government that has no real freedoms except for those who are in power. ie, MY boot is now on your neck.

Iran seems different because it's mainly the youth of the nation protesting (Iran has a huge youth population (under 30), and they do know about the outside world and know their votes were subverted. They seem to want to join the modern world unlike a good pdortion of the ME.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Trieste on June 27, 2009, 01:42:01 PM
Someone didn't remember his logical fallacies. Circumstantial ad hominem: just because the current party in power is different from the previous one does not automagically mean that everyone in support of the current administration is against/hateful of the previous party.

Please to going back to drawing board and trying again, thank you.

If my post did not describe your thoughts on such matters, you need not be concerned.

Trieste

Faulty debate tactics are everyone's concern, for they are serious business.