Amazing Recipe for those with a Sweet Tooth: Better than Sex Chex Mix

Started by LilFaerieAimee, February 14, 2012, 04:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilFaerieAimee

Ok...  So it's not really better than sex... unless your sex life rivals Mother Superior in St. Agnes Cathedral, but I made this recipe today and it was really easy, and really amazing!  However I changed up some things and I will note the changes.  If you make this recipe and change things up yourself, I would love to hear!

Ingredients:

8  cups Chocolate Chex® cereal
3/4  cup packed brown sugar
6  tablespoons butter or margarine
3  tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4  teaspoon baking soda
1  cup Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, MINI size (I used Reese's peanut butter chips)
1 cup MINIATURE marshmallows
1/2  cup caramel bits (found by the chocolate chips in the baking aisle -- or chop up regular caramels) (OMITTED- caramel flavor would overpower)
1 Tbsp heavy cream (OMITTED)
1/2  cup MILK chocolate baking chips (or more if you're a huge chocolate fan) (I used semi-sweet for an extra flavor complexity)
1/2  cup vanilla (white) chocolate baking chips (OMITTED, chips would not melt properly)
1 tsp coarse sea salt (OMITTED- Used a 1/3 bag popped butter popcorn- just get buttered, movie butter is too greasy and chocolate will not stick.  For extra fun I used the newly re-released colored popcorn...all you 80's kids would get me... it adds a nice texture and salt component to it)
-1 bag M&Ms

Steps:

-Into large microwavable bowl, measure cereal; set aside. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil.

-In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, butter and corn syrup uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until melted and smooth. Stir in baking soda until dissolved. Pour caramel mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave on High 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Spread on cookie sheet. Cool 10 minutes. Break into bite-sized pieces. (I did not break apart then)

-Make sure Chex mixture is cool to the touch (so candy doesn't melt.) Evenly sprinkle mini peanut butter cups candy and miniature marshmallows over Chex mixture. (This is when I sprinkled popcorn and marshmallows)

-In small microwavable bowl, microwave caramel baking bits and cream uncovered on High about 1 minute or until chips can be stirred smooth. Use a spoon or fork to drizzle over snack. Repeat with milk chocolate baking chips. Repeat again with vanilla (white) baking chips. Quickly sprinkle coarse salt over all while candy drizzles are still wet.  (Here I melted the chocolate and drizzled like normal.  I omitted the white chocolate, and melted the peanut butter and layered over the popcorn and marshmallows.  Get a good drizzle so it all sticks together.  As previously stated, I omitted the salt because the popcorn gives a more thorough salt taste.)

-Refrigerate until set. Break apart and store in tightly covered container. Perfect for gift giving!

I will edit and add a pic when it comes out of the fridge!