Location, Location, Location

Started by AutumnRain, December 29, 2012, 04:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutumnRain

This idea isn't fully fleshed out yet, but I wanted to post it and get input as it developed.

The story revolves more around a location than characters or their stories. I'm going to make an example that wouldn't be used, but makes the point: Imagine little kids with a club house. They come and go, sometimes together to play a game, sometimes just one or two to see who is around, or even just to hide. Its a sanctuary from the world. Stories happen there, but they bleed over from the outside as well, and a lot of each persons individual story happens away from the club house.

So I'm thinking, something like that. Diverse characters with a common place, maybe a really neat lake in the mountains, a river bend in a park, and old empty house near a college campus, a hotel or a spa or a bar, whatever. If people are interested we can pick a location and then start designing characters. I'm thinking of this being a "realistic, modern" story, but if people want another time or something supernatural/fantasy/scifi, I'm ok with that.

Also, I have no experience with large scale group roleplays like this, so if anyone wants to tell me this is a stupid idea, please go ahead, I'd rather know if it will be a failure early on. Or if anyone has somewhat more constructive suggestions, tips, whatever I'm happy to take those too. You can also tell me I'm brilliant and beautiful.

AutumnRain

So, based on an idea from Lovelygirl, I've more fully developed this idea.

Camp Whatsitcalled (name suggestions welcome, I'll think of something eventuall) was a popular summer camp for years. Up in the mountains, surrounded by trees, with a lake or a river (leaning towards lake, but flexible). Cabins in multiple quads (different age groups, different genders, although I'm undecided whether it was a coed or single gender camp), fire pits, main lodge, old basketball courts, soccer fields, etc. Everything you could want in a summer camp.

Except about 4-5 years ago the owner got sick and couldn't manage it, couldn't afford it, and it shut down. Its been empty ever since. More recently there has been talk of selling it, and rumors that a big conglomerate will buy it and turn it into a vacation resort. This may be its last summer before being bulldozed.

I want this to somewhat less character dependent. You character might only come up to visit memory lane one weekend and then disappear. Or come up every Tuesday night while she's in the nearby town on business. Your character may bring a sleeping bag and spend a few weeks, even the summer.

I'd like a variety of characters. Can be multiple ages, the camp was open for a long time. Don't have to be former campers, could be a spouse having heard all the stories, or a drifter/squatter taking advantage of empty buildings, also if people would like to play couples, friends, etc, having some pre-existing connections would be great, even if its old camp friendships rediscovered. Can even cycle multiple characters per player if you want

I'm considering my character being the young daughter of the owner.

Any thoughts on the camp or characters?

azzmeister89

this sounds like fun, i'll play the son of a camp counselor who's come to put some of his parents ash's at the camp or something like that

lovelygirl

Love to play a prior camper that was nerdy  and bullied, and has become a successful broadway director. And pretty hot to boot, lol.
Slowly getting back to posting

Ons &Offs
A &A's updated 3/27/16 UPDATE Very Important!

Kirinis

I'll definitely toss my hat into the ring.  I'm thinking of playing a local boy who drove in the food and supplies to keep the camp stocked during the season.  Since then he's attempted a career as a professional athlete before having a career-ending injury that's left him with a constant reminder.

Photo

great idea, you have my interest.

two things to say, I have dozens of characters for this already, so I'll spare you any details for now, as I don't know which story I'll end up going with. The other thing, this is how almost every playwrite must begin when starting a piece. Because, sets can't change at the drop of a hat like they can in a movie or a book. On stage, it takes minutes to adjust the set, therefor, you oft have characters running around as if the audience was stuck in one place, forced to watch whatever happens to enter that set. Refer to Henrick Ibsen's play: Dollhouse.

There are places like this where I live, they're creepy.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA