New Retro tabletop-esk game

Started by kasen03, June 02, 2005, 12:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasen03

I would like to start a new game.  I come from a tabletop, and as an homage to the games I would propose to play a game going back to the golden age of RPG's.  Knowledge of the rules of course is not required, as this will be more a rules lite game then hard-core tabletop.  From the results of this poll I will be (hopefully) setting up a game, and looking for a small group of players.

I hope to see some interest!

Oh..BTW..everyone gets 2 votes.  Just so we have more of a number to draw from.  Plus.as you note..no D&D. I'm going more obscure systems here ;)

Ciao!

tcost

Especially for this venue, I would suggest Victory Games' James Bond 007 game.
I prefer justice to irony.

kasen03

I guess there isn't much interest in this afterall.

I'll be taking the initative and starting up a small closed game.  I do invite others to look in, as well look at some of the source material (dontcha love it when EVERY since source book and module is availble on the web?) as in a months time or so, I'll be starting an open game.

It's going to be using the Star Fronties ruleset (probably all three varients.. since there are good aspects in each) and be a mixture of the standard tabletop space opera (explore strange new worlds...kill strange new aliens) mixed with adult themes. (interspecies with aliens?)

More into to follow

Spookie Monster

Hi! Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. I'm always in favor of playing classic tabletop games - I love Star Frontiers, Top Secret/SI, and so on. I lament the current climate, which often seems to be, "Should we play D&D or VtM?" Not that there's anything wrong with those two games... there are just so many more options! Boot Hill! Gamma World! Talislanta! A superheroic game! A homebrew! Anything! ^_^

The bad news is I don't think I'd work out well with the game you're planning: frankly, I've been just itching to play a villainous rapist in a GMed game, and, because I don't have a lot of time to post right now, that's the type of character I intend to next invest post-time in. (If that makes sense! :o ) Still, I'm very much in favor of a Star Frontiers game being played, and I'd like to give some input (if I can) and definitely, definitely lurk...

Anyway, looking forward to it! Good luck! :D

Quote from: tcost on June 02, 2005, 03:01:34 PMEspecially for this venue, I would suggest Victory Games' James Bond 007 game.

I've never been able to get hold of the rules, but I've always wanted to try that...

(And please know you made me think of Murray Head when you wrote that. :-[ )
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

kasen03

I played James Bond back in the day (which gawd..is nearly 20 years ago now!!!) but honestly..I MUCH prefered the mechanics of Top Secret.  And the whole 'reality' of the game.  (Not Top Secret S.I.... Baah..orion foundation!!!)

Right now my Star Frontiers game is just a one on one.  Both for myself to get back into it..and to have alittle private time.  But I welcome lurkers.  Plus it would give a first hand experience to exploring the frontier for the first time.  It's currently in NCES : SF: Distant Awakenings.

The game system is a merger of Alpha Dawn, Zebby's Guide and the 2000 net-book.  taking the best out of each.

Spookie Monster

Quote from: kasen03 on June 07, 2005, 07:05:57 AMI played James Bond back in the day (which gawd..is nearly 20 years ago now!!!) but honestly..I MUCH prefered the mechanics of Top Secret.  And the whole 'reality' of the game.

That's cool. :) I'd simply heard it had some unusual features and I'd be interested to see how they function. There was definitely a lot I liked about the mechanics of Top Secret; the manner of skill level purchasing was certainly pretty revolutionary.

Quote from: kasen03 on June 07, 2005, 07:05:57 AM(Not Top Secret S.I.... Baah..orion foundation!!!)

;D Yeah, I know what you mean. Wasn't an organization named "WEB" its enemy? (Upon reflection, it was actually quite a bit like GI Joe... :o ) Seriously, though, I rarely use too much of the background/campaign information provided with games anyway... usually it's pretty uncreative. I pick and choose and then develop my own stuff. (Besides, this throws off all those players who have the books memorized. :P ) Actually, that was one of the reasons I liked the concepts you brought up upon starting this thread - I personally prefer a looser system tailored to the GM and players.

Quote from: kasen03 on June 07, 2005, 07:05:57 AMRight now my Star Frontiers game is just a one on one.  Both for myself to get back into it..and to have alittle private time.  But I welcome lurkers.  Plus it would give a first hand experience to exploring the frontier for the first time.  It's currently in NCES : SF: Distant Awakenings.

I'll definitely check it out! Best of luck with it! :D
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Hunter

Hmmm...I'm really going to have to start reading more closely.  Any chance that this SF game could be a starship game (maybe militia).

kasen03

I was thinking more along the line of explorers.. who could from time to time get involved in the Sathar wars.  Although that game is still abit off.. It's nice that I'm finally seeing alittle interest in the game.

An aside.. for a tabletop game..I thought the starship combat rules for SF were actually quite well done :)  Quick and yet detailed enough to have fun.  and so simple to learn

Hunter

I vaguely remember the module in the Knight Hawks set.  Nice and neat with a bit of everything.  It would be fun to actually have a chance to play it rather than GM it.  ^_^

kasen03

I think it would be extremely difficult to play out a tabletop space battle..well..suppppose could use graphic shots..if we had someplace to upload the jpgs to.  I find play by post much more lending itself to narrative RP.

some of my favourate modules of all time deal with planetary exploration.. they would be great seeds for adventures.. or just to use as themselves.

'Mutany on the Eleanor Morays'

Hunter

Ah, but you can simply abstract the entire space combat thing (or make the pilot an NPC or some such).  Maybe make the PCs a boarding party on a destroyer/frigate/assault scout?

kasen03

Of course.. anything at all is possible :)

Hunter

I'd be interested in a Knight Hawks themed game.  Spacers are fun to play.  ^_^