FoxTab - unwanted program

Started by yobo, February 23, 2012, 02:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yobo

I was looking for a program to rip my old CD collection, and decided on a program, but somehow messed up and downloaded FoxTab instead...

I aborted the installation halfway through, and used the advanced installation process, and said no to the programs/shortcuts the program wanted to install, then aborting the installation.

However, some got installed anyway. I have used regedit to remove it from the registry (searched for FoxTab), and done quick scans with both McAfee Total Protection and Lavasoft Adaware. McAfee didn't find anything, but Lavasoft found a trojan which it removed. It are still finding things it classifies as possible unwanted programs though.

So the question is, how can I completely remove FoxTab from the computer. And is it safe to use the computer, and for what (I will not use it for mail or bank yet)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

yobo

Lavasoft is finding this: Win32.PUP.Predicated[1284]

jouzinka

The only FoxTab that I ever came across is a FireFox extension. On this link (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2208137) one member complaints that it feels more like a virus program, so I'm thinking it can be it. There's also a link provided on that page to this wiki: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2208137 and particularly recommended to look under the "manual uninstall."

If that's not the right FoxTab, can you please provide a bit more info on the program? :-[
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

yobo

Its called FoxTab Music Converter I believe (on a borrowed computer right now). It does have extensions for Firefox and other browsers, others have complained it has "taken over" their web browser when I have googled it. It never installed any extensions on Firefox or Chroome on my machine though.

After googling Win32.PUP.Predicated[1284] it seems a system recovery followed by some scanning with virus programs is the way to go. Unfortunately it seems it can "get into" the system recovery files as well.

Currently I have the laptop turned off while thinking about what I will do about it.

jouzinka

System recovery as in wiping everything? :o How about trying to restore to a point back in history (Win stores those before installing updates, for example).

By the way, for ripping CDs, I personally use xrecode. ;)

By the way II: Good luck with this.

yobo

Will try to restore a point back in history first. But if it doesn't do the trick, well, wiped it will be. I have backups of everything important, will just loose things I can just download once more. Except for some save games for a few games, but nothing major there either.

I will check out xrecode. I was going for Exact Audio Copy (or something along those lines), even went to the official page, but ended up with FoxTab instead... Must have clicked on the wrong download-link.  :-[ But thanks for the tip.  :-)

And I think I will need your good luck with this one...

yobo

It seems like setting the system back to the 16th of February did the trick. Neither McAfee nor Lavasoft Adaware finds anything suspicious. Hopefully it's not in hiding somewhere on the computer...

jouzinka