BattleTech 3050 ((Looking for new recruits!))

Started by Wargtass, November 15, 2012, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marie Reynolds

Thanks Im delving into history and lore I have never really messed with cause I have mostly done Clan Games.

Lady Quixote

So you could do another hatchetman, he's a brawler.  Or if you don't need to do the melee thing you can't go wrong with a Hunchback...that AC/20 puts the hurting on most. 

The only problem that I can see right now is in the speed of our recon lance, the locust is 130km/h, valkyrie is 86km/h, Hatchetman is 64 km/h...

by comparison the heavy and assults we've chossen are all in the 56-64km/h range...it might not be a big problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there

Matt

Blobbe

Work in progress! I suck at names

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Pilot

Name:
Sex: Female
BattleMech: BL-6-KNT Black Knight
Homeworld: Galatea
Original Faction: None (Mercenary)

Description: (A few sentences describing the physical characteristics of the pilot)

Background: Seventy-five percent of Mercenary units fail in their first eighteen months; of those that survive, only a small portion will made it beyond five years. Even then, those that survive usually will live a hardscrabble, hand-to-mouth existence for most of their careers. Success is the exception, rather then the rule.

(unit name) was one of those; never fantastically successful, they lived a life of marginal contracts fighting uphill against financial failure, equipment and supply shortages and the like. (name) was born to one of its Mechwarriors and a Technician, and raised with the unit as it travelled, never calling any one place home. As she grew, she learned how to operate a BattleMech at her parent’s urging, as well as getting some background in technical skills and having a degree of sense knocked into her.

Unfortunately, the inevitable occurred; a raiding contract for the Taurian Concordat went bad, dropping the (unit) into heavier then expected opposition and forcing them to retreat without reaching their objectives with heavy casualties. The TDF chose to hold back payment on the grounds that the unit had failed its objectives and not performed ‘adequately’. What was left of the unit limped back to Outreach, where they simply surrendered to the combined weight of losses and debt, falling apart.

(name) was one of those who sought a second chance; inheriting her father’s ‘Mech after his retirement due to injury, she set out to find a second chance at making her way. Using her skills and experience, she was hoping to get in on the ground floor of another unit and maybe, just maybe, do better then her parents did.

Personality: (name) is rough and determined, the sort who tackles problems head-on and doesn’t shy away from a challenge when presented with it. She can be blunt and even obnoxious at times, preferring expediency and bluntness to pussyfooting around and fake politeness. Not used to luxury, she’s used to hard work and living rough, and isn’t afraid to do what’s needed to get a task done.

She has a dislike of Wolf’s Dragoons, seeing them as elitist snobs who have had everything handed to them on a silver platter. Her past career has also left her with a strong dislike of pirates and Taurians.

Speciality Skills: (name) has a fair amount of technical experience and knowledge, especially when it comes to jury-rigging or making do with less than optimal parts. She also is something of a scrounger, good at scavenging and turning up parts and supplies.

BattleMech Characteristics

Chassis:
Weight Class: Heavy
Callsign:
Description: While (name’s) Black Knight is in perfect functional condition, it’s ancient body bears the scars of many conflicts; the armour is pitted and battered, and its internal systems carry the legacy of many years of field repairs, bypasses and jury-rigging.

Loadout:
*Magna Hellstar II PPC
*2 McCorkel Large Lasers
*4 Maxwell DT Medium Lasers
*Magna Small Laser

Modules: Beagle Active Probe

Upgrades: Endo Steel skeleton

General Armor Values: 13 tons standard armour (208 points)

Lady Quixote

wow, I think you're character is the only one to say that the Wolf's Dragoons have had everything handed to them on a silver platter  :D

Matt

Blobbe

Call it resentment; they get their own planet, her family's unit got tinned beans and tenement housing. Besides, Jamie Wolf's a Jerk. That's all there is to it.

Lady Quixote

hahaha, I'm not sure I completely agree with you but I do understand.  Although, their service to Marik and Kurita ended in disaster for them.

I'm personally a Kell Hounds fan over Wolf's Dragoons, I have occasionally gone back to reread Morgan Kell's dressing down from Warrior: Riposte.

Matt

Latooni Subota

I have abridged (and totally copied from another version of the character who would normally pilot that awesome Kurita Shadow Hawk variant) the details for this character, and it's ready to be torn apart by mean people. Some people hate the apparent contradiction in her backstory, I explain as being 'complicated'. >.>

Pilot

Name: Tojo, Maho (False Name)
Sex: Female
BattleMech: SL-1G Sling, custom
Homeworld: New Samarkand
Original Faction: Draconis Combine (Currently Mercenary)

Description: Maho is a petite but athletic girl of mainly east asian descent, standing at a mere 5'0" and not-even weighing a 100 pounds. She has shoulder-length silky black hair, and dark brown eyes, traits she shares with MANY siblings. Her skin is pale, though she has many old scars, badges of honor earned at Sun Tzu.

Background: Maho used to be 53rd in line to the Coordinator's line of succession, a true noblewoman of House Kurita. Rather than focus on the more female traditions like her older sisters, she emulated her father and entered into Sun Tzu military academy. Despite her small stature, her athleticism put her ahead of the pack, and she proved to be a kendo prodigy, as long as quite skilled in a few other martial arts, as well as more traditional ones. She graduated with honors, second in her class, and earned herself a cushy garrison job . . on New Samarkand.

Needless to say, Maho was less than pleased. She had been hoping to prove herself on the field of battle, with a garrison job on the borders, or even something more . . clandestine. Sure, the 4th Succession War was over, but that was no reason for House Kurita to sit back on their laurels. Maho repeatedly asked for superior placement, but was repeatedly shot down by a somewhat chauvanistic commanding officer, and she couldn't bring herself to ask her father to pull strings for her. After dealing with this treatment for a full tour of duty and becoming disillusioned with this side of Draconis Combine beaurocracy, she decided she could no longer tolerate it. Utilizing some connections she made with former fellow students, she sold her beloved Shadow Hawk and made her way out of the system.

She moved from world to world, eventually acquiring and customing her SL-1G Sling, and trying out with a few merc corps. None of them were really looking for new recon units, or they weren't a proper fit for her, until recently. She's brand new to the team and untested, but her simulator scores are top-of-the-line . . on lower weight-class mechs.

Personality: While VERY honor-bound, and possessing the grace and manners of a noblewoman . . . Maho seems to be actively trying to distance herself from being a 'well-mannered noble girl'. She is extremely opinionated, and doesn't quite trust non-Kuritans. Maho actually likes the slang of being called a snake though . . . she thinks it's cute. Once she's chosen to support people as a team though, she'll take orders without question, and put herself on the line for them regardless of her personal feelings. In the end, she's a good girl.

Speciality Skills: Maho knows several martial arts including kendo, and is knows a god deal of marital skills due to her mother's forced education. Oddly enough, she's also a contortionist, not that it's an ability that people see very often.

BattleMech Characteristics

Chassis: SL-1G Sling
Weight Class: Light, 25 tons
Callsign: Snake
Description: The Sling is a tiny humanoid mech (sadly without hands). Both arms are armored 5-barreled missile launchers, and it has a small hunch abover it's back that acts as another 5-barreled missile launcher, with it's cockpit more centrally located on it's torso. It's legs and sides of the torso have a number of Lexington Heavy Lifters, allowing it a shockingly long jump distance. This particular Sling is in gunmetal grey, with a few gold accents leftover from when it was being used in Solaris VII.

Loadout: 3x LRM-5

Modules: There are no additional armaments, though the TAG Laser normally found on it has been removed. It's missile launchers ARE suited for all kinds of LRM ammunition though. A favorite tactic from the SLDF was to load it with Thunder munitions, one that Maho likes.

Upgrades: One of the Heat Sinks has been moved to the Head section, and the entire chasis has been enhanced with a MASC system to further emphasis it's role as a speedy recon mech.

General Armor Values: Even with it's combination of Endo Steel and Ferro Fibrous armor, it's fairly lightly armored. It only has 53 Armor Points (5/4 Arms, 6/6 Torso Sides, 8/8 CT, 5/6 Legs, with 2 armor on each rear torso side and 3 armor on the rear center torso). Thankfully it's an extreme long-range mech, and more than able to nimbly get out of the way of danger.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Blobbe

It's mostly good, but with one caveat; the Sling has been extinct as a design for centuries. Only a few were built before the Exodus, and none survived in the Inner Sphere. (cf http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sling)

On the other hand, I love the artwork. It really suits the generally bleak and run-down look one associates with the Combine and its cities.

Lady Quixote

Well that will be interesting...especially with how you found an old star league mech (might take some explaining, since they didn't reenter prodution till 3060 at least)...the MASC might also be an issue but the cache was found ~20 years ago so maybe.

I think we are under the employment of the Federated Commonwealth and might be attacking the Combine...*dun, dun, dun*  ;D  plus Graff isn't to happy with 'dirty Kuritans'  :P

Matt

Latooni Subota

The SLDF got a good number of them, from what I'd heard. It's not impossible for one to have survived, being taken care of and traded back and forth until it got to Maho's hands. You know how people are with 'prototype' mechs. They take good care of them! I left it purposefully obtuse to leave room for bickering talking about how she got it/making sure it's all gravy. :3

Edit: Fighting the combine? Sounds sweet. That'll show Daddy and her CO that they should've kept her around and treated her well! She'd likely been disowned and removed from the line of succession for leaving.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Blobbe

The Sling is extinct and has been such for centuries; It really doesn't make sense for one to still be around after that long, especially as it would need parts and maintenance that wouldn't be available in order to keep it going. By 3049 there wouldn't be much left of it.

If you're looking for a similar role from an extant 'Mech, the Assassin would fit well, or, alternatively, the Valkyrie or Javelin. Obviously I'm not the GM here, but I couldn't justify someone having a fully functional, customised version of a design that hasn't existed for centuries, never reached full production in the Inner Sphere and is largely unknown.

Lady Quixote

well one could have been 'found' in the lost cache found by the Grey Death Legion and then sold around for a few years, the problem is the SLDF isn't reformed for another 20ish years.  Plus Thunder mines are still lost tech and don't reappear till 3051.  But then again we do have a King Crab, which is from the same time period...the Sling would just be no where close to pristine...it might not have ferro-armor anymore because you could never get ferro replacements...in the end it's a decision for Wargtass.

In my opinion that's one of the reasons I like the pre-clan invasion time, most tech is still kind of lost or 'very' slowly coming back (the Axman is just rolling off the line and is one of the first new mech to be designed and built since the fall of the star league).

Matt

TheGlyphstone

Latooni Subota

I did forget about the Thunder ammo not being current for a few years. That's my bad. XD

I'm fine with waiting for Wargtass. (BUT I LOVE IT SO MUCH. AS MUCH AS THE DASHER! q.q ) Until then I'll look at a few other mechs and try not to cry at their lack of everything sweet. :x

Lady Quixote

just wait till the witch Omi seduces the Crown Prince Victor...the Draconis Marche will be his dowery  ;D

Matt

Lady Quixote

the Assassin might work as well, it's a fast 40 ton mech (18km/h just slower than the Locust) with one LRM-5, one SRM-2, and a Medium laser

Matt

Blobbe

It's the big difference between the Highlander and King Crab, both of which were relatively common 'Mechs with the SLDF and its member states, and the Sling which was a rarity even amongst the only military it ever served with.

Lady Quixote

I just read that...it was prototype as the Exodus, so yeah the chances of it being around by is almost non-existent.

ooh, for 50 tons the Trebuchet is another nice mech.  two LRM-15s, three Medium Lasers, decent speed (86km/h) and a head that looks like Darth Vader's Helmet

Matt

Branwen

We might need a discussion about whether we will be guided by canon, or bound by it.  It's a big universe out there, and for every solid rule there's at least one instance, one time and place where it might have been broken.  Our characters, while not Gilgamesh, are still the heroes of their own stories.  I think we should allow a little leeway with things like dates and such while still keeping the feel of the game intact. 

That's just a comment.  Not a criticism.  :)  Dissent is welcomed.

Blobbe

I'm pedantic and a stickler. I'm horrible, I know.

Lady Quixote

Nope I completely understand, it's up to Wargtass eventually but I'm personally for cannon...or at least believable cannon (if you can make a plausable story for it then it's a go).

On a completely different hand, I completely want to start pulling my maps and minis out and play some games.

Matt

Branwen

Quote from: KaylaM on November 18, 2012, 08:42:46 PM
I'm pedantic and a stickler. I'm horrible, I know.
No.  No you're not.  You're passionate and informed and wonderful.

Latooni Subota

All MechWarriors are, except for when it's something they want. I've NAILED people hard on rules and canon because it suited my needs at the time, that's for sure. XD

If I end up having to switch, I'll probably grab an ugly as sin, retrofitted a million times, Javelin.

Blobbe

It's allways a good time for a Javelin. Allways.

One campaign I played in had a terrifying Javelin that had a tendency to deal disproportional amounts of damage to the other team. Little bastard once kicked the leg off of a Cyclops.

Lady Quixote

Quote from: KaylaM on November 18, 2012, 08:48:25 PM
Allways a good time for a Javelin. Allways.

unless you're caught behind enemy lines without supplies  :P

Matt