Where did you start RPing?

Started by BruceTheCat, September 18, 2012, 08:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stella

I started in the early 2000s in YIM, when Ayenee was still flourishing. Aww, those were the days!

undisclosedtoyou

Online, I started roleplaying on Crunchyroll groups. 
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Question Mark

Starcraft: Brood War custom RP maps, specifically Feyvern, way back in 2004/5.  I didn't even know what RP stood for, just that the map allowed me to spawn any kind of unit any number of times in a huge sandbox.  Once someone enlightened me concerning the purpose, I was hooked.  Unfortunately, good RP games were few and far between, and were always over quick. Worst part was, there was no way of reliving the experience!

I asked around in the OOC chat rooms, and someone pointed me to Surreal*Twilight (now known as Surreality).  And thus my forum based writing career began!  A lot of it was utter shit, I'll be honest, and the community was a little too focused on anime and a little too amateur and dramatic for my tastes, so I emmigrated to E after several years.  Never went back beyond waxing nostalgic over my earliest RPs.

HVBill

I had forgotten all about the starcraft maps made for roleplay.  Some of them were a lot of fun if you could get a decent and patient GM and a couple decent players.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of men.."

Oreo

I started RPing about 6 years ago on a little known RPG Maker Indie site. It was a dusty little corner of the site that boasted around 25 players in various PG13 stories.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

SweetKnickers

As a child about different manga and books I had read.
Online, maybe about 2/3 years ago when I was looking for stress-relievers. Started with, again, fan fiction/fandom type things, recently became more interested in the adult side. :-)

One learns to feel and feels to yearn.

ForAlbion

I was homeschooled until tenth grade, and a lot of those early years were filled with hours on The Swing. It was just playing imagination, really, but I did it for hours, and someone else back me up on this, nothing beats pretending to be Spider-man, or in an X-wing, or flying, when you're on a swing.

Later in life, a friend tried out a D&D 4th edition campaign with me in his party. It failed, miserably. It took another few years, when I was in first year university, until a friend of my ex's--a thoroughly talented DM with years of experience under his belt--did a one-shot campaign using Pathfinder while he was in town and I got REALLY into it.

I've done a few campaigns since then, mostly as a player but once as a DM.

Rozel

On a little (now dead) game called Hiddenworld.

Through-out the game, it required RP to acquire higher ranks...noble titles and such. I even think I have most of my characters 'noble' Rp's. (which are nothing compared to the way I RP today.)

My first one on one Rp was in the game chat (which was an Inn setting, and live) there. It was such fun, it hooked me. Been RP'ing ever since and that was about...10 years ago. :D

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.
My Ons and Offs: ~♠Funs, Not so Funs and Maybes with Roz♠~
Musings and Thoughts: 𓆩*𓆪Available Stories𓆩*𓆪
Sorry: ~~A/A's~~
{Slow return, its been a while. }

Falstaff

Started playing D & D when I was young...then also played Gamma World, Traveller, Villains and Vigilantes, Top Secret...all oldies now

Really enjoy RPing

consortium11

With regards to online RP in general my first time would have been in my mid-teens over a decade ago in what's known as "e-fed"s... essentially roleplaying a pro-wrester where the quality of your posts decides whether you win or lose. I still remember Matty Midget, my angry anarchist midget character with his catchphrase "Size Does Matter!" and some of the stories I came up with in the rps... trying to get to an opponents house in Canada and being kidnapped by the Quebecan Liberation Army, being forced to have Arnold Schwarzenegger as a tag team partner in a "choose your own tag team partner" match after he beat Matty in a game of pick-up basketball and invading France to try to end midget tossing as a sport.

After that I moved into vanilla rp'ing generally in the Super Hero/Comic scene. Again I remember many of my characters fondly and some of the story lines we came up with.

My first erotic online rp'ing came from Belariath, which was mainly an ICQ system. I suffered from not being able to get ICQ to work and so having to use a terrible online client but I had fun there and my main character got to interact with some of the most well established players there very quickly and found a nice niche as a character that had a hardcore racist hatred of catgirls (of which there were many).

And then came E.

Tybalt

My online roleplaying career started in MSN chat rooms and groups. Yahoo chats and the forums for the MMO Shadowbane were also right around the same time. My table top gaming started in a local comic shop here in Jacksonville called Big City Comics. Unfortunately, it's been closed now for years, but my friends and I had a blast there. One game was played at that store from open to close for an entire summer vacation when I was younger.

Kendra

Started rping on line I think maybe seven or eight years ago and it was a few HP sites. None really lasted for very long but I did manage to find one that was really great. Was such a noob though and would do one liner posts thinking it was like a normal chatroom rp. Far from it, by the time I packed up on that site nearly three years later I was writing reams of paragraphs and had become one of the sites Global Moderators. Still love HP so much that had to make sure we got one going here on E though that didn't happen until almost a year after I had joined E.

Skylarke

I feel like I missed a lot in my younger days.  I didn't even know about chat room RP's until a couple years ago while RPing with someone on the first place I learned to role play. World of Warcraft.   
I joined WoW in 2008, two months into the game I learned about role playing and have been doing it ever since.  Though I think back on how much I've changed and cringe at the way I must have been back then. *Giggle* I remember getting a scolding because I used /say as a way to communicate something not in character without using (()), it has stuck with me all these years.  It was the start of my role playing habit in a more serious manner, and boy do I love it.

Role playing has become my main focus on the game, and one of my partners there introduced me to this site just yesterday as I was starting to feel a lack in the game as far as the RP community went.

D&D was huge while I was in high school, but never got into it.  A guy I was dating did and when he told me a bit about it I didn't think I could, I was to shy and just talking up in a group of friends bothered me.  Now I wish I would have taken the chance. 

I have also recently tried Guild Wars 2, which as far as role play goes, is pretty good as well.  It is just having yet to get into a storyline, all I do is stand around in the numerous Inns/Bars and few other RP areas and do some random RP. I want/need more, and so here I am.  *smiles*
'Listen my child', you say to me
'I am the voice of your history
Be not afraid, come follow me
Answer my call and I'll set you free'

Darkfold

I started out with table-top Vampire the Masquerade. We had an excellent storyteller and everyone had a piece of paper with stats and items on. We actually used the upstairs of a bar so we had drinks too which was interesting  XD

O/O

Rogue

Technically, I started one on ones with my best friend in high school. But the real first time rping was when I came to college and I got pulled into a campaign. The gm wasn't as experienced with the system (BESM) at the time, but he was a good gm as far as story went. I even created my own race for his world. Since then I have played more BESM and some D&D 3.5. I've never done anything online before so this is new to me, but I tend to do better with role-playing when I type (especially with relationships).

sunbeams

:-[

I started role playing when I was eight, on Neopets.

And not very well.

/slinks away

Lux12

I started playing D&D back in middle school.

BlissfulBoi

Red Dragon Inn in Aol's chatroom

tsc

So many ways to answer this question....

My older brother and I collected toy cars (the old Matchbox ones), and when we were playing with them, we'd also make up the names of the drivers, and stories about them and what they were doing.  At one point, we even created some racing rules.  That would've been around 1978 or so.

Christmas of 1980, I got D&D, and my love affair with paper RPGs began (it's still going).  I was still in elementary school at the time.

In 1989, during my first year of college, I was exposed to play-by-email RPGs.  In 1990, my first MUD.  By 1993, I was a coder on an LPmud (SWmud, which is still in existence), and had run multiple RPGs via email, and had tried a couple of the RP newsgroups on Usenet.  In 1995, I tried out Meridian 59 while it was still in beta, but it didn't really appeal to me.

When WebRPG came out, some of my old gaming buddies from high school and I started playing online through it.  Later on, we moved to OpenRPG, and still later, to kLooge.WerKs.  Around 2000, I started playing in web forum games and did some gaming via IRC.  In 2005, I tried my first modern MMO, World of Warcraft, where I've spent a good bit of time hanging out on RP servers, and have written a few RP-focused addons.

MasoKitty

The place where I started....that could take a while though honestly I started when MSN chat was still big. Well, before they turned it pay for use basically I started there doing some basic rps with Dragon Ball Z, Trigun, and Inuyasha. Though it was pretty basic my rp skills were pretty limited at the time till I began more forum based rps then began my jumping between Darker role play, Blue Moon, Here, and some others.

It was quite a journey but I feel that sometimes people are passing me by due to the amount of requirements being very demanding. Though I still love to role play personally I feel I cannot fulfill any of the people's wants on most of these sites I used to do as well as I crave tons of story and not as much smut as I used to.