Motorcycle Helmets - Safety or Hazard?

Started by Mathim, September 18, 2008, 12:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

I'm curious how an ant (let alone a non-garden variety one) got all the way up on your neck.

But I face near-death situations every day just riding my bike so I know how you feel. Every time some dumb jerk doesn't check their mirror to see I'm right next to them as they speed around the corner...every time some asshole wants to run a red light at twice the speed limit...I usually don't have time to let my life flash before my eyes. I don't even bother wearing a helmet. If I get hit, my head's the last thing I'm going to be worrying about. Besides, if my body is fucked permanently, I'd rather die from head trauma or at least be brain-dead and allowed to die without knowing my body had become useless.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

MagicalPen

Mathim, you're an idiot for not wearing a helmet (from one cyclist to another). I can recall countless stories of near misses where the helmet was the only thing that saved the cyclists life. I face the exact same dangers when I ride down here in FLORIDA, right near Disney, so there are untold dangers. But I always wear a helmet, since if i do crash avoiding a car, I don't spill all my brains onto the road.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Oniya

Quote from: Mathim on September 18, 2008, 12:23:45 PM
I'm curious how an ant (let alone a non-garden variety one) got all the way up on your neck.

I'm not allergic to them, but the little bastages can get damn near anywhere.  I've had one as large as my little fingernail crawl up the inside of my sweat-pants leg while I was sitting at my computer.  I discovered it when it tried getting past my knee.  If it had been on the outside of my clothes or started by going up the chair and under my shirt, it could have gotten a lot higher.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Revolverman

ya, I find lots of them on my arms when i'm on my PC

Mathim

Maybe I'm just really sensitive to tickly things on my skin so I notice them right away...but I never have problems with bugs getting into my house and I live in a really crappy neighborhood.

And MagicalPen, I've fallen off my bike plenty of times and never hit my head once. In fact at the start of the year I fell off and had to get stitches in my chin. A helmet would not have stopped that from happening. Besides, as I said, I'd rather die or be braindead than find out what kind of broken bones and organs I'd have after getting hit. It's not being idiotic, it's a matter of preference. I mean, it's not like wearing a seatbelt in a car; if it was, it'd be required that you wear a helmet. It's only required to wear a helmet if you're under 18. Want to tell the lawmakers they're stupid about that? Be careful who you call an idiot, idiot. ::)
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Bliss

Quote from: Mathim on September 20, 2008, 06:02:23 PM
I mean, it's not like wearing a seatbelt in a car; if it was, it'd be required that you wear a helmet. It's only required to wear a helmet if you're under 18. Want to tell the lawmakers they're stupid about that? Be careful who you call an idiot, idiot. ::)

This varies according to location. In MY state, both helmets for motorcyclists and seatbelts for motorists are required, regardless of age.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Oniya

Since we were considering a motorcycle to save on gas, I looked into this a while back.  Three states have no helmet law at all.  20 have a law requiring helmets on all riders, regardless of age.  The rest have varying ages of required helmet use (14 in Maine, 17 in 18 states, 18 in Delaware, and 20 in the remaining 7 states.)  Three of the ones with exemptions for 21 and up require that you carry valid medical insurance if you ride without a helmet.

That being said, my sister is a paramedic, and a properly fitted motorcycle (or football) helmet can actually function as a cervical collar in case of a collision.  Assuming you survive the impact, you are more likely to escape brain damage and paralysis if you're wearing a helmet.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Revolverman

wait, a football helmet can double for a riding helmet in a pinch?

Oniya

I don't think a football helmet would give enough visibility, but you could check with your DMV about it.  It's designed for the same basic purpose, though - to provide shock absorption and a barrier against things coming at your brainbox.  I've seen medical documentaries about players that took a hit and if they hadn't had a helmet on, they would have been quadriplegics.

Mathim

My friend's dad got in a motorcycle accident where he crashed into a truck that ran a red light and went flying over the handlebars and into the sidewalk at a considerable rate of speed, skidding until he hit his head on the sidewalk. The doctors told him that the impact, if he had been wearing a helmet, would have either killed him, or left him paralyzed from the neck down. Not wearing a helmet saved his life AND kept him from being a vegetable or quadriplegic. How do you like THEM apples? Not really strong on statistics, but still, there are occasions where a helmet won't make a difference or will make things worse.

MagicalPen

See, thats complete BS. How would a helmet have caused more damage? If he was wearing a Brain-Bucket, then yeah, that's a given, and stats back up the Brain-Bucket facts. The point of the helmet is to absorb the brunt of the force (which causes it to crack) rather then have that force transfer directly to your head. I know plenty of cyclists who have been saved because they were wearing a helmet - if they hadn't been, I wouldn't be talking to them today.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

Topic split from original, because this-all has drifted WAY away from ZK almost (but thankfully not) dying of an ant bite.

-Bliss
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Sherona

Quote from: Mathim on September 23, 2008, 06:12:48 PM
My friend's dad got in a motorcycle accident where he crashed into a truck that ran a red light and went flying over the handlebars and into the sidewalk at a considerable rate of speed, skidding until he hit his head on the sidewalk. The doctors told him that the impact, if he had been wearing a helmet, would have either killed him, or left him paralyzed from the neck down. Not wearing a helmet saved his life AND kept him from being a vegetable or quadriplegic. How do you like THEM apples? Not really strong on statistics, but still, there are occasions where a helmet won't make a difference or will make things worse.

This logic also goes along with "My seatbelt could have been damaged in my car accident, and I could have been trapped in the burning car!!!!" Its not very logical to base one very very very rare occurance on a reason to never ever use them.

Madriv

Sherona

My stepdaughter is STILL being emo about the fact that I wouldn't let her ride off on her boyfriend's motorcycle cause he didn't have a helmet for himself let alone for her...

Canuckian

What about helmets as a fashion statement?  When I get my motorcycle (I've been promising myself one for almost a decade now :) ) I want the full riding suit to go with the crotchrocket, and I just *heart* those full-faceshield helmets.  They fit the overall scheme of the riding suit and they have got to provide more protection than those skullcap ones.

Personally, I think anyone who goes riding without a helmet deserves whatever he or she gets.  Like people who don't wear seatbelts, I have utterly no sympthy for them whatsoever.  There are people who are more deserving of my condolences than those morons.

The simple fact is you only get one body per lifetime.  Treat it right and keep it safe.

Simica

I would just like to say, that sometimes a helmet doesnt do anything. Take for example.

My brother. Now he is a motorcyclist or more so he was. He was driving his bike one day and a 1 ton drunk ran a red light. Hitting my brother.

Now my brother ended up in the hospital with

NOTE: he was wearing a helmet

-half a crushed in skull

-both legs broken

-lungs collapsed

-ribs broken

- and a few other things

Well he ended going in coma for 3 months, everyone presumed him a vegetable. banks closing on him the whole thing. They thought he would never make it.

But today. He is walking around, speaking fine, no problems what so ever. And this happen 4 years ago.

So the odd time a helmet doesnt matter

However, that doesnt mean I would ever go out and about on a motorbike and not were a helmet and the proper gear.

life's to short, I try to make it last.

MagicalPen

You do realize that if he hadn't been wearing that helmet he would be DEAD right? The helmet saved his life. Its hard shell and padding absorb some of the shock/impact that would otherwise be transferred to the head. In his case, he probably would have died on impact if not wearing a helmet. As it was, it saved his life, even if it almost left him as a vegetable. Is death better then being in a coma?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sherona

That depends Pen, is why they have what they call a Living Will. That being said, helmets are to bikes as seatbelts are to cars, and back up parachutes are to skydivers. Just a precaution that 9 times out of 10 can help save your life rather then be the cause to end it.

Oniya

One ton of vehicle landing on you is pretty much guaranteed to mess you up.  With two collapsed lungs alone, I'd be worried about damage from oxygen deprivation.  Glad to hear he pulled through okay.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Oniya on September 21, 2008, 09:58:33 PM
Since we were considering a motorcycle to save on gas, I looked into this a while back.  Three states have no helmet law at all.  20 have a law requiring helmets on all riders, regardless of age.  The rest have varying ages of required helmet use (14 in Maine, 17 in 18 states, 18 in Delaware, and 20 in the remaining 7 states.)  Three of the ones with exemptions for 21 and up require that you carry valid medical insurance if you ride without a helmet.

That being said, my sister is a paramedic, and a properly fitted motorcycle (or football) helmet can actually function as a cervical collar in case of a collision.  Assuming you survive the impact, you are more likely to escape brain damage and paralysis if you're wearing a helmet.

In Arkansas you are required a helmet under the age of 18 and eye gear all ages.  That said, A HELMET SHOULD BE REQUIRED AT ALL AGES!!!!!  I don't care if it only helps sometimes or not!  Your heart beating may keep you alive but what tells your heart to beat?  Your head!  Don't loose your head in an accident, wear a helmet!  My husband has a motorcycle, we both have helmets with face sheilds!  
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Sherona on September 24, 2008, 12:19:59 PM
That depends Pen, is why they have what they call a Living Will. That being said, helmets are to bikes as seatbelts are to cars, and back up parachutes are to skydivers. Just a precaution that 9 times out of 10 can help save your life rather then be the cause to end it.

*nodsnods*
Ons and Offs

Simica

honestly, to me, it may or may have not made a difference. The matter of the fact is. half of his head was still crushed in. and that was the back side of his head. Wearing a full helmet, to me, that should not have happened.

Nevermind, it was a 1 ton truck. As oniya says. it was bound to mess him up no matter what.

And yes I do realize that he could have died.

things happen.

To me, we should try to protect what we have.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Simica on September 24, 2008, 12:26:23 PM
honestly, to me, it may or may have not made a difference. The matter of the fact is. half of his head was still crushed in. and that was the back side of his head. Wearing a full helmet, to me, that should not have happened.

Nevermind, it was a 1 ton truck. As oniya says. it was bound to mess him up no matter what.

And yes I do realize that he could have died.

things happen.

To me, we should try to protect what we have.

9 times out of 10 a helmet protects your head.  Some things just cannot be helped though.  But to protect what we have we need to take precautions such as wearing a helmet!
Ons and Offs