You Are The Moon.

Started by Blythe, October 03, 2016, 08:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

If you have not done so already, please read this message from Veks.

There is a song that I think of when I know someone struggles to love themselves, when they are hurting, when they are struggling with depression, with bipolar, with anxiety, with PTSD, with many types of similar problems, or even if you are going through a tough time with someone else trying to tear down your self-worth.  It is called "You are the moon - The Hush Sound." It is not a joyous song to listen to in tone--it is a somber song, but with a message that I feel is very important.

The song's lyrics are:

Shadows all around you as you surface from the dark
Emerging from the gentle grip of night's unfolding arms
Darkness, darkness everywhere, do you feel all alone?
The subtle grace of gravity, the heavy weight of stone

You don't see what you possess, a beauty calm and clear
It floods the sky and blurs the darkness like a chandelier
All the light that you possess is skewed by lakes and seas
The shattered surface, so imperfect, is all that you believe

I will bring a mirror, so silver, so exact
So precise and so pristine, a perfect pane of glass
I will set the mirror up to face the blackened sky
You will see your beauty every moment that you rise

I want to talk to you about why you are the moon.

When one goes through heavy pain and tragedy, when one struggles with things like depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc., it is very easy to become lost in a dark place, to lose sight of the ability to see yourself truthfully and in a positive light, to recognize your own worth. It isolates you. That is the true demon of these things, the way it convinces someone to hate themselves. You are a person, just like any other person. A person who is worthy of more than the self-hatred, worry, and fear that things like depression can inflict upon you.

You are a person who deserves to live and feel as anyone else does. You do not deserve to be alone.

I am not going to make this entirely a positive message. I often feel that people approach trying to offer comfort about this subject by glazing it with too much positivity. That is not realistic. The moon is, after all, surrounded by darkness, and it cannot help that. People have problems. Sometimes those come from inner demons, and sometimes it's real life crushing you down. Some events can be outside of your control, and that makes dealing with issues like depression or its associated relatives all the more a struggle.

But like the moon and its reflection in the water from the above song, what you see of yourself is distorted. But what we see, what others may see about you, is that you are a light, a loveliness, a strength, that brightens the world around you. The moon cannot see its own beauty, but everyone viewing the moon understands it for the beauty it is. The moon is not perfect, but that does not in any way make it less beautiful or worthy. It makes it real.

A crucial step to holding up a mirror to you, the moon, is to encourage you to seek help if you haven't, if you are in a particularly dark place, especially if you have felt an urge to end your life. You do not see the light that you possess, but you have it, even if, like the moon, you are enveloped in darkness night after night. You deserve to see your own light. I know that there is a stigma about seeking help for one's mental health, and I know it is not easy.

I do not have depression myself. But I have, for other reasons, needed to attend counseling and seek out help when I found myself mired in a dark place. I know how hard it is to not only admit the need for it, but to actually find it, especially if you are feeling the economic pain of poverty, which is something I can relate to altogether too well. There are hotlines for when you are in dire straits. There are crisis centers if you're on the brink. If you're college age, your campus may have a health center that has a mental health professional--mine did, and that particular help was free. There are sometimes resources for those are who low-income--my own sister was able to find such help. There is help. It may be hard to find, but persevere. There is hope. It may be hard to see, but it is there.

Think of how strong you truly must be, even if you might not feel that way as you read this--like the moon, you are stone and enduring. You slip, gleaming, into the view of those that care for you night by night, who admire you, and believe me: they are there. They really do think well of you. Think of all you have conquered to be here--each day you continue on is a little victory, although I know the battle can be tiring. Perhaps your surface may be marred, but even for the scars on her surface, the moon is just as breathtaking as ever.

You are the myriad sum of human experiences, a unique combination of history and emotion and learning-- you were forged in pain and wonderment and yes, even joy. There is no other you. You are rare, precious, and worthy. No, you are not perfect, but no one is, and no one is expected to be, and that includes you. So don't be afraid to look for help, even from a professional, when you need it.

You are the moon, and you matter. You matter more than you know.

You are the moon, and you are loved.

Mithlomwen

Awesome message. 

Thank you for posting this Blythe.  :-)
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Kimbersqk

Beautiful. Thanks for those words Blythe.
Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and it pleases wherever it goes.
It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon half way around the world. - Chaos Theory from Butterfly Effect

Kimber's O/O's
Sorries
Kimber doing what she loves. Signing C'est La Vie by B*Witched

Sofia Grace

Ugh.  Blythe, your awesomeness knows no bounds.  This was a wonderful thing to post.
i am a fire
gasoline, come pour yourself all over me
we'll let this place go down in flames
only one more time

[ O/O ] [ A/A ]

Blythe

*hugs for all* Am glad that people are liking the message--thank you all for the kind comments. It took a long time and a lot of revisions to get my thoughts down the way I wanted--it's a topic that I think about rather often.

Outlaw Fallen

Bookmarked for future reads. Definitely something I needed, and will share with others when it seems like they need it, too. Everyone on E has a talent for writing, but I believe this is definitely one of the greatest compositions on this site to date.

Bravo, Blythe.
"I fought the decisions that called and lost
My mark has the relevant piece in this
I will come reformed
In short, for the murder of those I court
I bless the hour that holds your fall
I will kill you all" - Coheed & Cambria
A/A's UPDATED! (6/6/19) | Desires | Outlaw-bait

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

Blythe

Many thanks, Outlaw Fallen, and I'm glad to have written something that may be able to help people. ^^

Caedy

The subtle grace of gravity, the heavy weight of stone.

I was diagnosed with depression several years ago, spent many years on the upward spiral of things.  However, my as of yet undiagnosed (officially as I have yet to find a therapist that I trust) anxiety has sent me spiralling downward more times than not as of late - much of it work related.  I struggle daily with thoughts that are as black as a starless sky, and more often than not I have to fight to find something good to latch onto that will pull me out of that hole.  Much of my anxiety as of late has been fueled by this hate and fear filled death spiral that is the US Election, because there are so many issues that aren't properly addressed and some major issues that directly impact me as both a female and a member of the LGBT community, which being part of that community brings about it's own rollercoaster of pride, fear and anxiety in today's society. 

The words shared by both Blythe and Vekseid have hit me with all the speed and force of a freight train.  As I am writing this I am listening to the song that Blythe shared in his post, and finding the beauty in the haunting lyrics.  He's right, it is not a joyous song to listen to, it is somber however, the message is so very, very important and one that I didn't know I needed until this very moment.  I have been lost in my own isolation, finding it harder and harder to fight my own demons and darkness and easier and easier to paste on the image I want the world to see rather than what is truly going on beneath the surface.  Day after day it is getting harder to see the light, however, in the wake of so much I am seeing that smallest sliver of moonlight filtering in through the darkness and slowly clawing my way toward that light attempting to see in myself what others see in me. 

Several things as of late that have propelled me to finally find the funds to get a tattoo I have been putting off for several years now, however, within the next month I will bear that tattoo.  I will bear that permanent visual reminder that I am the moon.  I am loved.  That reminder that I promised to fight, to never let the darkness achieve the ultimate victory.  The tattoo is a simple one, merely my semi-colon with TWLOHA either beside it or around it. 

Thank you Veks.  Thank you Blythe.  Thank you to anyone who has seen more in me than I have seen in myself. 
No New Games At This Time
A/A updated Important: 6/2/17
Caedy's Pretty Things (SFW&NSFW)
Blog: My Bullet Journal Journey
Word of the Day
~...still like air, I'll Rise...~ Maya Angelou

Blythe

I'm really glad that my words are having a positive impact, and thank you for your kind post, Caedy, and sharing some of your journey here.

I think now more than ever is the time to remind people that they are not alone and that they are loved. That even if the world looks dark, things can get better, even if its not easy. There's always a way back to the light, even if its hard to find.

*hugs*

Wistful Dream

I know this thread hasn't been posted to in over a year but I stumbled across it today and it is just... thank you Bly.

Amaris

I just stumbled across this as well, and thank you so much. It's definitely something I needed and I really really appreciate it.

Blythe

*leaves hugs for Wisti and Divine*

I'm really glad that this is still helping people. ^^

SithLordOfSnark

Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Amaris

Takes the hugs gratefully

Do you mind if I actually was to copy and paste this to another friend of mine who isn't on this site? I think it would really help him as well.

Blythe

Thank you, Sith. ^^

And Divine that's fine, though please credit it to 'Blythe from Elliquiy' if you share it off-site, please?

Amaris

Kaia

~ Who cares what and who we are as long as we no longer break ~