[D&D 5e] Planar Supernatural School For Gifted Adventurers [Closed for now!]

Started by Blythe, October 14, 2015, 05:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Quote from: Bibliophilia on October 17, 2015, 08:07:39 PM
-stares at a field of tens as far as the eye can see.-  Yup, gonna go default stat array.  Actually, I kinda like the idea of playing a bard who's not bad at anything, but not exceptionally good at anything, yet, either.  I'll take my roll.

Whatever works best for you! ^^

Quote from: Vex on October 17, 2015, 08:41:57 PM
Sweet! I'll get things started there then! Thanks for the approval!  :D

And would you believe the Scarlet Sash bit wasn't actually intended as a GM plot hook? It was just an amusing side note that might help explain her style and flair. But, looking at it now, that could be a really fun development! Most of the time, success is a well-prepared thing, but sometimes, one just blunders into it, I guess.  :P
No problemo!

I can believe that Scarlet Sash wasn't intended to be a hook, but there's a lot there that looks fun to brainstorm on.  ;D

Quote from: AndyZ on October 17, 2015, 08:44:22 PM
Holy crap.  How many people is this up to now?

7 approved sheets at the moment, although the amount of stated interest has been much higher as you can see.

The nice thing is that this is mostly sandboxy, so this requires a lot of initial startup work for me as a GM, but once I've got it all going, it's just a matter of updating/IC posting with any level of regularity, which won't be a problem for me in this case. My Maze Diabolik players here in-thread can tell you I've been pretty on the ball in my five-person party for that game's IC posting.

Note: If I get to 10+ approved sheets, I'll be selecting a co-GM. What I will want from a co-GM is: willingness to check dice rolls, help keep track of any updates that player sheets need, and help managing combat if necessary. I can write all NPCs and plot stuff.

At the moment, I am currently working on OOC information and IC threads/links, so if I am slow to reply to the interest check, poke me via PM, folks! Still totes interested in people. :)

JoanieSappho

Well, if you're at 7 and talking about when/if you hit 10+ characters, I have no excuse not to make a go, then. I'll read up on the background stuff and probably end up pitching a punchy halfling of some sort. Maybe a monk. I haven't tried one of those in 5e yet ...

EDIT: And then I immediately see no halflings. Well, then. Have to try something different.  :P

Mr L

Well, 7 approved now, 3 more coming just between BAMFy and I. <.< just figuring out diety, any misc notes needed, and maybe smoothing out the bullet points in her personality spoiler.
O/Os | A/As | | My Ideas I have taken the Oath of the Drake

Bibliophilia

You can have a Halfling!  It's just a bit more effort to come up with a good reason for Grumbledore to allow them to attend school.  I'll bet Sherlock would help you with what would convince Grumpalf to believe that your character is as innocent and unlikely to prank anything as a baby koala.

BAMF

...did...did you call the headmaster "Grumbledore?"

I <3 that.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

JoanieSappho

Well, if I go monk, there's the whole monk angle to play off.
Pranks? I sweep temples and milk yaks and punch people, I don't do pranks.
I ain't promising that I won't punch someone in the fa- in the thigh, or milk the hell out of a yak, but no pranks, honest!   

That sort of reasoning good?  :P

But seriously, this is either going to be an old-fashioned ascetic monk, or possibly a drunken master style one. Or possibly a drunken master who turned up in an ascetic order somehow. Much more likely to just punch someone than bother with pranking and very honest about that. (Also, utterly incapable of magic, so no more invisible trees.)

Bibliophilia

-giggles.-  Well, he did ban two whole races from attending his school just because of one little prank!  He is totally blowing a few invisible trees out of proportion!  I bet the trees prefer being invisible!  Did old Beardy Mcstickinthemud ever think of that!?  I'll bet not!

-blinks.-  So...I might be considering a male gnome for my second character, once I finish my first.  I'm thinking druid...with something in the Mustelidae family for his companion.  Ferret?  Wolverine?  Polecat?  Who knows!?

Chulanowa

LET THE SHORT STACK STAMPEDE COMMENCE!

...Grumbledore!

Blythe

Quote from: Bibliophilia on October 17, 2015, 11:24:57 PM
You can have a Halfling!  It's just a bit more effort to come up with a good reason for Grumbledore to allow them to attend school.  I'll bet Sherlock would help you with what would convince Grumpalf to believe that your character is as innocent and unlikely to prank anything as a baby koala.

Correct, and yes I would help with that. :)

....and do you realize I want to give you an Inspiration point for "Grumbledore" before this game has even officially started? Because now I can't stop imagining Mezrain as Dumbledore--this is causing me significant snickering.

Blythe

Small update: After a very thoughtful question and some realization I had not worded things clearly, the "you must have a connection" rule in chargen has been changed to reflect more clearly what I'd like: "Players should be willing to reach out to other players to form character connections during the game; this keeps the game going. Don't wait for someone to come to you--if you see something cool, reach out!"

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Sherlock on October 17, 2015, 11:59:40 PM

....and do you realize I want to give you an Inspiration point for "Grumbledore" before this game has even officially started? Because now I can't stop imagining Mezrain as Dumbledore--this is causing me significant snickering.
Hooray! Should I start pming you to sort out how I'll sneak my halfling past Sourman? (Not many wizard name puns left ...)

Blythe

Quote from: JoanieSappho on October 18, 2015, 12:01:55 AM
Hooray! Should I start pming you to sort out how I'll sneak my halfling past Sourman? (Not many wizard name puns left ...)

Yes, please! :)

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Sherlock on October 17, 2015, 11:59:40 PM

-giggles.-  Awww!  Well, hopefully I can earn them after the game has started, too!  -snickers.-  I tend to imagine all old wizards as Dumbledor or Gandalf.  And, since this one is the head of a school, and his co-founder makes me think of Snape...well...

JoanieSappho

Talking produced results! Then I rolled stats.
16, 7, 14, 12, 7, 8.
I should be asking about rerolls, since that'd be the sensible option.

I will make this work.

Bibliophilia

Yay!  You can be in the remedial class with me, Joanie!

Mr L

So, finally, and with a ton of help from BAMFy for the coding...

Here she is!
Player:Mr LCharacter Name:Bianca Stormblower
Class:WizardLevel:1
Race:HumanBackground:Sage
Alignment:NGAge:19 years
Height:5'4"Weight:130 lbs.
Experience:0 EXPDeity:Azuth/Mystra

~Abilities~
STR12 (+1)DEX17 (+3)CON16 (+3)
INT18 (+4) [SV+2]WIS15 (+2) [SV+2]CHA16 (+3)

HP: 9/9AC:13
Speed:30 ft.Initiative:+3
Proficiency Bonus:+2 Passive Perception:14

~Weapons and Magic~
Weapon Attacks

Weapon:Quarterstaff|Type:Bludgeon|RangeMelee|Attack Bonus:(+3)|Damage:1d6 (1d8 2h)
|
Spells
Spellcasting Ability:Intelligence|Spell Save DC:14| Spell Attack Bonus:+6

Cantrips (3)
Spell Name|Description|Casting Time|Range|Components|Duration
Mage Hand|Creates spectral floating hand able to lift up to 10 lbs.|1 action|30 ft.|V, S|1 minute
Ray of Frost|1d8 cold damage; reduce speed 10 ft.|1 action|60 ft.|V, S|Instantaneous
Prestidigitation|Perform minor tricks|1 action|10 ft.|V, S|1 hr.
|
1st level (6)
Spell Name|Description|Casting Time|Range|Components|Duration
Chromatic Orb|3d8 of any elemental damage|1 action|90 ft.|V, S, M (50gp diamond)|Instantaneous
Expeditious Retreat|Can use the Dash action once per turn, including turn cast|1 action|Self|V, S|Concentration, 10 min.
Grease|Covers 10 ft. square; creature must make Dex SV or fall prone|1 action|60 ft.|V, S, M (pork rind or butter)|1 minute
Longstrider|Target gains +10 move speed|1 action|Touch|V, S, M (pinch of dirt)|1 hour
Mage Armor|AC of unarmored target becomes 13+Dex|1 action|Touch|V, S, M (bit of cured leather)|8 hours
Unseen Servant|Creates invisible servant capable of performing simple tasks|1 action|60 ft.|V, S, M (piece of string and wood)|1 hour

Prepared (5): Chromatic Orb, Expeditious Retreat, Longstrider, Mage Armor, Unseen Servant

~Skills, Proficiencies, Items~
Skills
Languages:Common,Elven,Gnomish,Celestial
STR
Athletics(+1)
DEX
Acrobatics(+3)Sleight of Hand(+3)Stealth:(+3)
INT
Arcana:(+6) (Prof)History:(+6) (Prof)Investigation:(+6) (Prof)Nature:(+4)Religion:(+4)
WIS
Animal Handling:(+2)Insight:(+2)Medicine:(+4) (Prof)Perception:(+2)Survival:(+2)
CHA
Deception:(+3)Intimidation:(+3)Performance:(+3)Persuasion:(+3)
|
Proficiencies
Tool Proficiencies:None
Weapon Proficiencies:Daggers,darts,slings,quarterstaves,light crossbows
Armor ProficienciesNone
|
Equipment & Currency
Quarterstaff, Arcane Focus (orb), Spellbook,
Backpack, Book of lore, Bottles of ink (2),
Inkpen, Parchment (10 sheets), Small bag of sand,
Small knife (2), Quill, Letter with question,
Common clothes, Belt pouch

~Currency and Treasure~
10 gp

~Features~
Arcane Recovery
1/day after a short rest, can recover expended spell slots equal to a combined level equal to or less than half wizard level.
|
Researcher
When attempting to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you don’t know the information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it.

~Additional~
Background
Background:   Sage
Specialty:Wizard’s Apprentice
Personality Traits:I am willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgement. I am used to helping out those who aren’t as smart as I am and I patiently explain anything and everything to others.
Ideal:Knowledge: the path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.
Bond:It is my duty to protect to protect my peers.
Flaw:I overlook obvious solutions in favor of complicated ones.
|
History
Growing up in Waterdeep more than suited a young Bianca. The City of Splendors had many books for the girl to read, allowing her to learn many things as she grew up. Her father was terribly proud of their smart daughter, even if she kept trying to get into his spellbooks. He even rewrote a few of his books with a personal so that his notes were more difficult to read.

That didn’t stop the knowledgable girl, who found a way to break the code, as one night he entered his study to find Bianca playing catch with a Mage Hand. With immense pride as a wizard and a father, he taught her many of the basic theories of spells so that she may develop as a mage in her own right.

Eventually she was enrolled in the Eltorchul Academy for the children of the well-off. She was shy at first, but once she realized she knew a lot of the material, she was eager to answer the instructor’s questions without a second thought. She wasn’t always right, but damn did she try. The other students, however, got annoyed by her eagerness, and constantly picked on her for how ‘overly smart’ she was, some of them even poked fun at her being a bit softer around the edges.

With the other students making her life hell, her grades started to slip as she cared too much about what the others said or thought. Eventually her father pulled her from the academy, and poked her towards the School for Gifted Adventurers.  To help her feel better about this new school, he procured a random egg from a colleague and gave it to her to take care of. He altered the shell of the egg so that she couldn’t divine what creature would hatch from it.
|
Personality
She learned much from her father, both in theory and the simple love of reading and learning. Her mother died before she could be an influence on her life, thus all she has is her loving and patient father. When not trying to handle other people, she is a very quiet and sweet person, who is overjoyed to simply read a good book. Out of the house, she tries to be very bubbly and likeable, while downplaying her intelligence, to generally be more sociable.
|
Appearance
Bianca’s long black hair falls to her waist, which she usually kept in a braided ponytail. It’s sometimes difficult to discern her softer frame, due to her wearing loose, flowing clothes more times than not. She’s not overweight, though she is more comfortable to cuddle than others of her frame size. When she’s engaged in fascinating conversation, her brown eyes tend to sparkle in interest.
| |
Pet in the Near Future

Chompski is a compsognathus, which is a very small raptor-like dinosaur, roughly the same size as a common housecat. He will be taught to only eat or bite what his mama will tell him is okay.
|
Misc Notes
??
O/Os | A/As | | My Ideas I have taken the Oath of the Drake

JoanieSappho

Yay! Special classes!

Let's see about this sheet, then ...

Now with no image because GM note thingybob.

Sheet!

Player:JoanieSapphoCharacter Name:Kyra Noakes
Class:MonkLevel:1
Race:Halfling (Lightfoot)Background:Hermit
Alignment:Chaotic GoodAge:19
Height:3'10''Weight:33 lbs
Experience:0Deity:Cayden Cailean

~Abilities~
STR7(-2)DEX16 (+3)CON12 (+1)
INT7 (-2)WIS16 (+3)CHA9 (-1)

HP: 9/9AC:16
Speed:20 ftInitiative:+3
Proficiency Bonus:+2 Passive Perception:13

~Weapons and Magic~
Weapon Attacks

Weapon:UnarmedType:BludgeoningRangeMeleeAttack Bonus:(+5)Damage:1d4+3
Weapon:QuarterstaffType:BludgeoningRangeMeleeAttack Bonus:(+5)Damage:1d6+3
Weapon:DartType:PiercingRange20/60Attack Bonus:(+5)Damage:1d4+3
|
Spells
Spellcasting Ability:StuffSpell Save DC:Stuff (Stuff + Stuff + Stuff) Spell Attack Bonus:(+Stuff +Stuff + Stuff)

~Skills, Proficiencies, Items~
Skills

LanguagesCommonHalflingSylvan
STR
Athletics(-2)
DEX
Acrobatics(+3)Sleight of Hand(+3)Stealth:(+5)
INT
Arcana:(-2)History:(-2)Investigation:(-2)Nature:(-2)Religion:(+0)
WIS
Animal Handling:(+3)Insight:(+5)Medicine:(+5)Perception:(+3)Survival:(+3)
CHA
Deception:(-1)Intimidation:(-1)Performance:(-1)Persuasion:(-1)
|
Proficiencies
Tool Proficiencies:Brewer's supplies, Herbalism kit, Stuff
Weapon Proficiencies:Shortswords, Simple Weapons
Armor ProficienciesNone
|
Equipment & Currency
Stuff, Stuff, Stuff,
Quarterstaff, Explorer's pack, 10 darts,
Scrollcase stuffed full of notes, Winter blanket, Common clothes,
Herbalism kit, Stuff, Stuff,
Stuff

~Currency and Treasure~
5 gp

~Features~
Martial Arts
Affects unarmed attacks and monk weapons - simple melee weapons without the Two-Handed or Heavy properties. Apply only when wearing no armour, no shield and unarmed or armed only with monk weapons.

Can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of unarmed attacks and monk weapons.
Can roll a d4 in place of the listed damage die for unarmed strikes or monk weapons (This will increase with level)
When you use the Attack action with an unarmed attack or monk weapon, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action if no bonus action has already been taken this turn.
|
Unarmoured Defence
When not wearing armour or using a shield, AC = 10 + Dex mod + Wis mod.
|
Stuff
Stuff.
|
Stuff
Stuff
|
Stuff
Stuff

~Additional~
Background

Found outside an isolated monastary of Irori on the world of Golarion, Kyra was raised with the monks, more due to a lack of any alternatives than anything else. While the young halfling soon revealed an instinctive mastery of the physical aspects of the manastary's teachings, the more mental elements bored and eluded her, even when she made the effort to try. The strict ascetic surroundings were, likewise, soon shown to be a bad fit for the young halfling, who began to chafe and rebel against the rules imposed on her. Despite this, somehow, she continued to excel at her preferred disciplines. Her agility and balance could, perhaps, be explained away by her race, but her perceptiveness, intuition and attunement to the world around her was inexplicably as acute as any of the more traditional monks, even when she was in the midst of one of her more chaotic moods.
Upon exposure to the the works of (some) of the other deities of her world, the young halfling was instantly taken with the brief, simple tenets of Cayden Cailean, and began to invest her efforts in tying theskills and training she had managed to absorb in the monastary to that quiet different philosophy.
However, a monastary of the perfectionist god of enlightenment was, the monks felt, no place for a student of a god of alcohol, freedom and bravery, especially one who had risen to divinity in the middle of a drunken stupor.

With nowhere to continue her training and her attempt to merge two very different traditions into something entirely new for her world, Kyra, due to luck, more than anything, ran across one of the School's many scouts, who apparently saw some promise in the young halfling, despite knowing that Kyra would have to make a lot of promises for Mezrain to let a halfling into the School again.
|
Misc Notes
Feature: Discovery: The quiet seclusion of your extended hermitage gave you access to a unique and powerful discovery. The exact nature of this revelation depends on the nature of your seclusion. It might be a great truth about the cosmos, the deities, the powerful beings of the outer planes, or the forces of nature. It could be a site that no one else has ever seen. You might have uncovered a fact that has long been forgotten, or unearthed some relic of the past that could rewrite history. It might be information that would be damaging to the people who or consigned you to exile, and hence the reason for your return to society. Work with your DM to determine the details of your discovery and its impact on the campaign.

Personality: I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster.
Ideal: If you know yourself, there's nothing left to know.
Bond: I'm still seeking the enlightenment I pursued in my seclusion, and it still eludes me.
Flaw: I like keeping secrets and won't share them with anyone

Bibliophilia

-squees.-  She would get along famously with my gnome cleric of Cayden Cailean!  They could get fabulously drunk together, sing loudly about how awesome Cayden is and how cool it is to follow him, or not, whatever makes you happy.  -bounces.-  You are awesome, Joanie.

Blythe

Mr L and JoanieSappho, I'll review your sheets tonight or tomorrow, thank you!

GM Note: For those seeking permission to play gnomes/halflings, please do not use images for your characters. They are a devil for me to determine if they're suitable age for E rules, unfortunately, so I'd rather images not be used for these characters.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Bibliophilia on October 18, 2015, 02:37:25 AM
-squees.-  She would get along famously with my gnome cleric of Cayden Cailean!  They could get fabulously drunk together, sing loudly about how awesome Cayden is and how cool it is to follow him, or not, whatever makes you happy.  -bounces.-  You are awesome, Joanie.

That does sound rather great, I must admit. Anyway, sleep, then looking over the other characters to see what fun can be made.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Sherlock on October 18, 2015, 02:37:48 AM
Mr L and JoanieSappho, I'll review your sheets tonight or tomorrow, thank you!

GM Note: For those seeking permission to play gnomes/halflings, please do not use images for your characters. They are a devil for me to determine if they're suitable age for E rules, unfortunately, so I'd rather images not be used for these characters.

Welp, that does cause a hiccup if you use images for idea inspiration...  :-\

Speaking of oddball races. Any opinion on Elan and Aasimar (DMG), Krynn Minotaur (UA: Waterborne Adventures), and the eberron Races? Also any chances of slapping a dragonborn with a shrink ray and calling it a kobold?  ;D

Blythe

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 18, 2015, 03:25:21 AM
Speaking of oddball races. Any opinion on Elan and Aasimar (DMG), Krynn Minotaur (UA: Waterborne Adventures), and the eberron Races?

Elan: Not in the DMG. Do you mean Eladrin?
Changeling: Concepts for these characters, like halflings/gnomes, should be vetted with me first.

All others are a 'yes.'

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 18, 2015, 03:25:21 AM
Also any chances of slapping a dragonborn with a shrink ray and calling it a kobold?  ;D

Only in an IC-sense of having something hilariously odd happen to a dragonborn, not as a starting character concept.  :P

Bibliophilia

Chulanowa

Quote from: Sherlock on October 18, 2015, 03:43:38 AM
Elan: Not in the DMG. Do you mean Eladrin?
Changeling: Concepts for these characters, like halflings/gnomes, should be vetted with me first.

All others are a 'yes.'

Only in an IC-sense of having something hilariously odd happen to a dragonborn, not as a starting character concept.  :P

Just by allowing the option of Minotaurs, you have made me a happy person. No idea if i'mma make one, but damn, glad to have the option of using this image folder.  ;D

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Sherlock on October 18, 2015, 12:01:18 AM
Small update: After a very thoughtful question and some realization I had not worded things clearly, the "you must have a connection" rule in chargen has been changed to reflect more clearly what I'd like: "Players should be willing to reach out to other players to form character connections during the game; this keeps the game going. Don't wait for someone to come to you--if you see something cool, reach out!"

So my question becomes, who wants a connection to Calypso? She's a drow warlock who was forced to suffer the attentions of a demon and comes from a Greco-Roman inspired plane  (not saying its Theros.....) where she was an entertainer.
Call me Shadow
My A/A