(WoW) Why the Alliance Hate and Why is the Horde so Popular?

Started by LunarSage, July 04, 2011, 07:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Aiden on August 02, 2011, 10:06:25 PM
No no, Saurfang is nothing compared to Broxigar.

Broxigar is, unfortunately, tainted by his association with KNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK.

Aiden

TheGlyphstone

Jin

Quote from: LunarSage on August 02, 2011, 10:07:27 PM
The Alliance also had (before he left) the purest, most badass guy to ever kick the Lich King's sorry ass.

My personal favorite... Tirion.  Humans for the freaking win.  ;D

Yes and Tirion went into Hiding letting the Scourge run rampant... Oh and he was having problem's with the Death knights and Arthas before Highlord Darion Morgraine ( A member of the scourge) Gave him Ashbringer.  Without which Arthas would have spanked him :)

Even if he killed him isn't that the Alliance cleaning up it's own mess?

And When he killed Arthas didnt he place the crown on someone else...Another Human. Making them the new Lich king.

LunarSage

Quote from: Jin on August 02, 2011, 10:22:49 PM

Yes and Tirion went into Hiding letting the Scourge run rampant... Oh and he was having problem's with the Death knights and Arthas before Highlord Darion Morgraine ( A member of the scourge) Gave him Ashbringer.  Without which Arthas would have spanked him :)

...and Arthas would be far less powerful without Frostmourne.  What's your point?  :P

As far as Tirion going into "hiding"... wasn't he actually forming the Argent Dawn?  I wouldn't call that hiding.

QuoteEven if he killed him isn't that the Alliance cleaning up it's own mess?

No, that's a guy who happens to be human cleaning up the mess of a villain who also happened to be human.  The Alliance had nothing to do with Stratholme anymore than the US had anything to do with rogue soldiers in Vietnam slaughtering a village of innocent people.

QuoteAnd When he killed Arthas didnt he place the crown on someone else...Another Human. Making them the new Lich king.

So that's two human Lich Kings, one of which is using his noble heart and willpower to contain the evil of the -Orc- soul within the helmet.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Aiden

Tiron was forced into exile after showing compassion to an orc.  When he learned his son had grown to serve the crusade, he tried to turn his son but he died, which made him come back and become the bad ass he is now.

Uther is a MUCH bigger BAMF then him.

TheGlyphstone

Uther also kinda got punked by his own student,despite being a far more powerful and well-trained paladin.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 02, 2011, 10:01:25 PM
Yeah - Garrosh is still a bit of a dumbass, but he's not evil, and probably the (second*)best leader the Horde will have with Thrall gone. On the flipside, the Alliance could do a hell of a lot better than Varian, but a lot worse as well; I don't know how his storyline has evolved in Cataclysm, but I went from "good god why is this moron the leader of my faction" to "eh, he's not all bad" after the bit with him and Deathbringer/Overlord Saurfang in Icecrown Citadel.

*Saurfang would still be the best, of course.PleasedontCleaveme.

I agree.. he.. saw Saurfang as a father like himself at the end of that fight. I usually watch the scene when we did it because I like the Lore  and I always thought Saurfang was a good leader as well.

Garrosh was an appeasement move in my opinion..and one that I think will come back to bite Thrall and the Horde in the ass. He killed one Horde leader, alienated the leader of the Troll Faction, and he's not got a suitable grasp around Sylvanus' (sp?) neck. Cause.. in my opinion.. she needs her neck snapped. I disliked the lore behind the BE 'paladins' too.. till their 'redemption' with the sunwell. (I still think they are self-absorbed but that isn't a crime)

Of the Horde factions, the ones that are taken for granted (in my opionion) are the Trolls and Tauren, and in many ways they are the foundation stones of the whole Horde. Garrosh is playing with fire.

Krysia

Quote from: LunarSage on August 02, 2011, 10:31:57 PM
No, that's a guy who happens to be human cleaning up the mess of a villain who also happened to be human.  The Alliance had nothing to do with Stratholme anymore than the US had anything to do with rogue soldiers in Vietnam slaughtering a village of innocent people.

Actually totally off topic from what I know about Vietnam (cause my father was there), the US did actually take responsibility for what they did.

And wasn't Arthas the son of a King of Lordaeron? Which I believe is part of the Alliance... let me check my Wiki facts here:

QuoteLordaeron is a continent and a former human kingdom (aka Lordaeron Empire) of the Eastern Kingdoms. Its name comes from the three main Alliance race languages: "lorn" (in Dwarven) that means "land", "daer" (in Common) that means "people" and "ronae" (in Thalassian) that means peaceful. Lordaeron's Capital City is also called Lordaeron. Originally one of the Seven Kingdoms to emerge during the collapse of Arathor, Lordaeron was ruled by the House of Menethil and provided refuge for the people of Stormwind following that kingdom's destruction at the end of the First War. During the Second War, Lordaeron spearheaded the first Alliance's campaign against the Orcish Horde, but was almost entirely consumed by the Scourge during the Third War. This former nation's territory is now contested between the Scourge, the Forsaken, and fragmented pockets of human resistance, most notably the Scarlet Crusade and the Argent Dawn. 

Alliance killing Alliance... this is awesome! For the Horde!! *cheers!* Proves why she loves the horde yet again! *kicks Tirion into the pit* THIS IS HORDE!!

Aiden

I was upset when Carine died also, but I think it is a good thing since Baine is a pretty awesome also.

I recall the WC3 campaign when you need to rescue him when he is a young bull from the centaur threat, I enjoy character progression. Anduin's story has been awesome also, that kid is going to be an amazing King one day. 

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aiden on August 02, 2011, 10:48:39 PM
I was upset when Carine died also, but I think it is a good thing since Baine is a pretty awesome also.

I recall the WC3 campaign when you need to rescue him when he is a young bull from the centaur threat, I enjoy character progression. Anduin's story has been awesome also, that kid is going to be an amazing King one day.

Anduin will be a wise leader..I like the quest you do with him. (Of course having Fargo Flintlocke of the Webcomic makes it even MORE fun.  Let's see.. favorite quests.. I can.. A) Hit peons with a stick, or... b) Hang around with the Dwarf so crazy he's NEUTRAL with his own faction and gives you his gun.. the 'chuck-tosser'.

Sorry.. as much as I love thumping the peons (it brings out the giggles in me).. it's Fargo for the win.

Aiden

I agree, seeing Fargo become an actual in game character is just awesome.

I did lose track of the comic, not sure how long it continued but I enjoyed it. I also liked one based on a tauren warrior, equinox I think.

Shjade

Just popping in to point out that Tirion Fordring, that uber-epitome of humanity's goodness and purity? He had to affiliate himself with an organization separate from the Alliance. Kinda makes it hard to use him as an example in their favor when he couldn't - or wouldn't - stay in their umbrella.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Callie Del Noire

He did what he had to build the forces to face the threat he saw coming. Not all of the Alliance is rapantly anti-horde.. though aside from the Dranei, everyone of them has suffered from the Horde's arrival (Warcraft) or the Scourge (ie..the Undead) BUT I think that Jaina is the 'sorta' leader of the moderates.

I'm more worried about the dwarves these days.. Moira clearly has an axe to grind and without her father to set things on an even keel, I could see a new civil war brewing on the horizon.

Anjasa

Quote from: Silverfyre on August 02, 2011, 07:51:11 PM
Oh, that's too much!  Small virtual world, eh?  I remember roleplaying with you guys a few times back in the day.  I also played the guild leader of Dawnhaven, Almarath.  I doubt it rings a bell as we were focused more on RP out in Ratchet than anywhere else.

Rings a bell, but I don't think I ever RPed with that character. I probably saw you around, though :> How neat.

QuoteBlizzard just trademarked a very interesting "Mists of Pandaria".

So says MMO Champ. Category - Computer Game Software.

Krysia

After cata dropped and Deathwing came the plunder the world and everything got shifted out of whack Thrall was the only one I know of to go and try and fix things cause he saw what was going on. Where is your Alliance leaders now? Doing nothing.

I know I'm like all anti-alliance but it comes from an actual Alliance player telling me cause I didn't have an 85 Alli-character that I wasn't a true WoW player. I really dislike the attitude on the blue and gold side of Azeroth. That doesn't mean the players are bad (well most of them), but I've found in game and out that most of them are rather egotistical.

Jin

Quote from: Krysia on August 03, 2011, 07:32:53 AM
After cata dropped and Deathwing came the plunder the world and everything got shifted out of whack Thrall was the only one I know of to go and try and fix things cause he saw what was going on. Where is your Alliance leaders now? Doing nothing.

I know I'm like all anti-alliance but it comes from an actual Alliance player telling me cause I didn't have an 85 Alli-character that I wasn't a true WoW player. I really dislike the attitude on the blue and gold side of Azeroth. That doesn't mean the players are bad (well most of them), but I've found in game and out that most of them are rather egotistical.

I agree with Krysia here. It is more the players on the Alliance side that make me not play it. When I started playing WoW I made a Human Warrior. I was new to the game and my friends who got me into it were not around to ask questions. I happened to run across a higher level Alliance Player in the Starting zone. Upon asking him for advice on what I should do I was told in less polite terms "Fend for yourself noob." and that was that.

Later I started a Horde character and was actually greeted by a higher level player. After asking advice yet again thinking I was going to get the same kind of  He invited me to a leveling guild that was already like level 20 He told me how to get started and dropped 50 gold on me.

Kinda made me of the opinion
Horde= the awesome
Alliance= the suck.

Anjasa

That's all just luck and could have happened - and has happened - in reverse for many other people.

Everyone in this thread is just arguing based on anecdotal reasons, so there's just no way either 'side' could win, because you're all arguing based on your personal experiences.

Jin

Bringing up Malfurion really?   Yes let's bring up the man who made one of the main bosses in the game his own Brother Illidan.  HE betrayed and sacrificed his brother. THrall was the LEader of the Horde. He stepped down and has been all over the place trying to fix things. I have only heard of Malfurion being in Darkshore. And the king of sotrmwind who is the "leader" of the Alliance does nothing...

LunarSage

This plus freaking infinity.

Many Horde players have always seemed like dicks to me, just as many Alliance players have seemed that way to you Horde players.  The difference is the smug sense of superiority the Horde players tend to have.  "We play the underdogs/we're more mature/Alliance sucks".  I've heard it all and frankly every bit of it is BS in my opinion (People saying they're more mature while screaming "Alliance sucks" is just irony at it's best  :P).  It's funny though, I'm willing to bet all you hardcore Horde players have Alliance alts.

Sadly this sort of behavior seems very common Horde-side.  There are a lot of people (Undead players especially) who use the "I'm playing a monster" excuse to be a dick to other players.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Anjasa on August 03, 2011, 07:56:45 AM
That's all just luck and could have happened - and has happened - in reverse for many other people.

Everyone in this thread is just arguing based on anecdotal reasons, so there's just no way either 'side' could win, because you're all arguing based on your personal experiences.

Moderation and neutrality! Nonsense!

Howbout we all compromise and start chanting praise to the Old Gods? They're going to win eventually anyways.

Krysia

Quote from: LunarSage on August 03, 2011, 08:08:10 AM
This plus freaking infinity.

Many Horde players have always seemed like dicks to me, just as many Alliance players have seemed that way to you Horde players.  The difference is the smug sense of superiority the Horde players tend to have.  "We play the underdogs/we're more mature/Alliance sucks".  I've heard it all and frankly every bit of it is BS in my opinion (People saying they're more mature while screaming "Alliance sucks" is just irony at it's best  :P).  It's funny though, I'm willing to bet all you hardcore Horde players have Alliance alts.

I guess you didn't read when I said I started on Alliance. I don't like the looks and feel of the alliance characters period. Now with that said when I did start playing Alliance and got to Outlands on a PVP server I hated the horde for going around and just slamming lowbies (Yes lowbies) in the area for "just being Alliance". But as Time went on and I got the BC expansion I fell in love with blood elves, why? Because they looked more humanesque in appearance and didn't look like a puppet with hinges like the Night Elves did. I also said I did have a Worgen cause werewolves just rock. I hate the humans in how they are - just down right damn creepy to me.

I have fun on the horde side just because they fit my style/personality better. I can be a dick all I want, and have, to Alliance characters. I find great enjoyment flagging for pvp on my 85 and going to Outlands and running dungeons or even just helping lowbie hordies do their quest with out fear. Especially playing capture the flag up in the Ramparts area. Also enjoy going to Alliance territory and stealing their rare monsters with my hunter. Does that make me a bad person out of game? No. Does that make me an ass hat in game? You're damn right, because when it comes down too it I'm having fun with a game I spend 15 dollars a month on and isn't that the whole point? Just like the game says, if you don't like someone or how they're playing you can ignore them to the best of your abilities. Then again my E-peen ego has got to come from being in the top guild on the sever. :D

QuoteSadly this sort of behavior seems very common Horde-side.  There are a lot of people (Undead players especially) who use the "I'm playing a monster" excuse to be a dick to other players.

You don't have to play undead to be a jerk face in WoW. I've seen plenty of Orc, Troll, and especially Blood Elves be jerks. Though Undead is a plague on the Horde. Any undead that plays a rogue should have their characters deleted and not allowed to play them. Hate them, hate em with a passion and I play Horde.

Jin

Ok so I read over Illidan's backstory again and while admittedly he made some really bad choices in his lust for powe, If his brother is so great at healing and purifying things why not help Illidan instead of treat him like crap and lock him away for 10,000 years. Then let's use the fact that he loves Tyrande  to get him to fight the burning Legion. After the legion was defeated Tyrande and Malfurion both turned their backs on him.

And that still doesnt change the fact that he was a Night Elf. Meaning he was part of the Alliance. Not to mention Malfurion is responsible for the blood elves. "Yes let's blow up the well of Eternity and destroy the source of magic. not to mention screw over the High elves and make them turn to fel magic. That's an awesome Idea!"

LunarSage

Quote from: Krysia on August 03, 2011, 08:38:28 AM
Does that make me a bad person out of game? No. Does that make me an ass hat in game? You're damn right, because when it comes down too it I'm having fun with a game I spend 15 dollars a month on and isn't that the whole point?

Except that when your fun comes at the expense of someone else's fun (who is also paying 15 dollars a month), it's called griefing and that just isn't cool in any way, shape or form.  I'm not necessarily saying that you do it, but it's an important distinction.

Krysia

Quote from: LunarSage on August 03, 2011, 08:51:55 AM
Except that when your fun comes at the expense of someone else's fun (who is also paying 15 dollars a month), it's called griefing and that just isn't cool in any way, shape or form.  I'm not necessarily saying that you do it, but it's an important distinction.

I'm very under the impression that if you leave me be, I'll leave you be. Unless we're out in battle grounds where stomping mudholes is allowed I just do my dailies, quest strings and auction house stuff. Though I do love tossing the /rasp out there to unmarked players. :) Though if they happen to flag and mess with me, you're damn right I'm going to defend myself. I do happen to dislike npc slaying because well that's stupid you get nothing out of it. If I want to kill someone on the Alliance I want points to up my gear later. I also stopped playing on PVP servers because I hated the fact that it auto marked you and the other faction could gank you at any time.

On a side note of goodness, I'm just curious as to what classes in the game people play? I love actually hearing about the fun times people have had Horde or Alliance. :)

I play Hunter, have since I switched over to horde, my first Night Elf was a priest and a friend played a hunter and I was like "Awesome!" The funniest thing that ever happened to me and Jin while going out messing around was going to get The Kurken on Azuremist Isle. We came up to Dark Shore pre-cata and just RAN to the boat. Jin's character was like 40 something and I was I think 60. We stood up at the top just before the npcs could see you and planned it out. We thought we'd get slaughters. We ran through and down the pier towards the boat followed by every npc that we could catch laughing on vent about how Jin's character was going to die. Nothing happened. We got on the boat with all these level 80 npcs going "Oh god they're going to gank us... don't move so they don't see us." It was great times indeed. We did eventually get the core hound and I had my first pokemon!