Delta Green. (GM/Players needed)

Started by Lustful Bride, October 06, 2015, 07:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Delta Green, an organization born out of Project Covenant and the infamous Innsmouth Raids conducted by the US government in 1927. At first it was attached to the US Navy, keeping up the war with the inhuman Deep Ones that sought to unleash Shoggoth's upon the land and supplant Humanity with their own species in the name of their Gods, Mother Hydra, Father Dagon, and the immortal priest Cthulhu.

During WWII it became a separate organization with more autonomy and the ability to recruit from any branch of government, allowing it more flexibility in counter Mythos operations around the world as they fought to stop the Third Reich from harnessing the unspeakable powers and drawing the eye of the ancient horror to Earth. For a time DG, along with the other anti-Mythos/Lovecraftian agencies around the world, were the sword and shield for humanity. Ensuring that the sun would still rise the next morning and people would remain sane for at least one more day. They had the full faith and trust of the US government and all the other alphabet agencies to do what was necessary. That is, until a disastrous mission during the Vietnam War in Cambodia, which lead to the end of the official status of the organization. Delta Green was disavowed and shut down, its resources and knowledge taken with agents being forced to retire or face imprisonment for life.

But not every agent took the call to lay down their arms. Some of them went rogue, choosing to continue the fight even after their group was turned on by the very same government they swore to serve. The agents, scientists, engineers and politicians who believed in the Delta Green cause continued on as an illegal network within the US government, which fights the Mythos to this day. They recruit new members in secret from various branches of government, military, and even civilians who prove worthy of it.

Since their disavowment, Delta Green has been conducting extremely Classified and sometimes multinational operations around the world for decades. Sometimes working with other covert groups such as Pisces, in Britain, or the GRU-SV8 in Russia. Sometimes they work on their own or against those groups, their loyalties swaying as constantly and easily as the tides of the ocean. Despite being disavowed and replaced with an underfunded, understaffed, and underequipped, FBI group they have done their best to keep the world safe, or at least not completely lifeless. 

-The Event: The blood Moon. Everyone knew about it, some feared it, others went out to see it. But very few knew what was really occurring. It would be the bloodiest night in all of the Anti Mythos history. Delta Green alone lost 50 agents on just one mission. Because something almost came through. It set foot on our world! But was pushed back. Through the sacrifice and valiant struggle of so many that had not been seen since they last joined together to fight the Thule Society, what came forth from the portal was pushed right back. The world was saved, for now. But Delta Green's resources were critically depleted. So Cell-A (the commanding officer group of DG) decided to make contact with Washington. To remind them that there were things out there. Things that were more than happy to set all of Humanity ablaze and wipe our existence from history.

Coupled with some tech taken from the now destroyed Majestic 12 group, and some video evidence of Delta Green's saving the world yet again, it was clear that the FBI group they had wasn't enough. somehow Cell-A managed to negotiate the re instatement of DG. And now, we have the manpower and resources (and most importantly the funding!) of an entire nation. Delta Green is on its way to full strength again, and just in time. The troubles are starting again.

-You.

You have been pulled in from your various groups and agencies for different reasons. We are now Cell R. Tasks will be given when the higher ups deem it appropriate. While we now have a main base of operations and more resources than before, we are still operating in cells to prevent contamination by unknown sources. For now you will train and familiarize yourself with a weapon and your coworkers. You must also chose a codename beginning with an R. You are not allowed to share your true names with anyone but your superiors.

Some of you may be from that wannabee X-files group, some may be original Delta Green members, others newbies taken in and just learning about the occult. It doesn't matter. From now on you are all family, and if need be you will die for and kill eachother to ensure the success of the mission.

Now Good luck all of you, and try to take a baddie out before you go insane.

-----

Can never have enough Cthulhu. So I was craving something DG related and saw that no one else had made such a thread before. So I have elected to put one in :P

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Not familiar with Delta Green, but...Are you familiar with The Laundry Files?

Also, is this a system game or freeform using the setting from a system game?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on October 07, 2015, 12:07:01 AM
Not familiar with Delta Green, but...Are you familiar with The Laundry Files?

Also, is this a system game or freeform using the setting from a system game?

Delta Green: Like the Men In Black but with much more killing and cthulhu.

I was thinking freeform unless someone has a super simple system :P (never played a system before.)

And no I never heard if The Laundry Files. But I looked them uo and they seem interesting.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 07, 2015, 12:13:18 AM

...Sounds a lot like the Laundry files. ;D

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 07, 2015, 12:13:18 AMAnd no I never heard if The Laundry Files. But I looked them uo and they seem interesting.

There are a few Laundry Files short stories online that the author has uploaded. You'll need to hunt around for them, though.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Cassandra LeMay

A few questions:

1) Do you envision this with an emphasis more on investigation/mystery or combat/monster hunting, or an equal mix of both?

2) Any idea how big "Cell R" might be, especially in terms of facilities/equipment? Do you see this as a small operation with just a front office and a weapons locker, or something big with its own motor pool, a real armory, medical facilities, and so on?

3) What would you say is the relationship of Delta Green with other government departments and local LEOs? Can the agents just walk onto a crime scene, flash a badge and cart all the evidence off to their own base, take over police or FBI investigations, or would they depend (at least in part) on the goodwill of other agencies to get info about ongoing investigations?

4) Would Cell R cover only a certain geographical area, given that there are other cells in other places, or do you see the premise as allowing some/lots of different locations all over the states (or even the world)?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 07, 2015, 05:45:42 AM
A few questions:

1) Do you envision this with an emphasis more on investigation/mystery or combat/monster hunting, or an equal mix of both?

2) Any idea how big "Cell R" might be, especially in terms of facilities/equipment? Do you see this as a small operation with just a front office and a weapons locker, or something big with its own motor pool, a real armory, medical facilities, and so on?

3) What would you say is the relationship of Delta Green with other government departments and local LEOs? Can the agents just walk onto a crime scene, flash a badge and cart all the evidence off to their own base, take over police or FBI investigations, or would they depend (at least in part) on the goodwill of other agencies to get info about ongoing investigations?

4) Would Cell R cover only a certain geographical area, given that there are other cells in other places, or do you see the premise as allowing some/lots of different locations all over the states (or even the world)?

1)
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Though not every mission will have both. Sometimes there would be only research and investigation or just combat. It depends on the op.

2)Not very big. We will get an armored van with a standard load out and gear. We have a small home office we can deploy from, still haven't figured out what our cover story is. Medical will be two people and some supplies. As well as an NPC scientist, unless someone wants to play them.

3) Delta Green does not exist. Though Cell A is able to pulls strings sometimes if sort is needed, they can have the local sheriff be told that we are the FBI on an investigation or tell someone in the FBI that we are CIA and usurp them in authority. A clever GM can probably handle thins better than I but while some support exists we wont be getting a Tac squad and APCs or whatever just cause we asked nicely.

4) Depends on what Cell-A asks of us. If our skills are suited at home or over seas then they will direct us. Only Cell-A (GMs) know.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Seems like in some situations we'd be better off posing as CDC than FBI. "Sorry, everyone in this building is under quarantine until we figure out what's going on. Remain calm, we are coordinating transportation which should arrive shortly." (To take you all to one of those nuclear testing bore-holes out in the middle of Nowhere, Nevada, where we put all the other things that we don't ever want walking the earth again.)

How is "cleaning" handled if a situation gets out of hand? (i.e., "We now have a two-figure body count and a dozen witnesses to an avatar of Nyarlathotep wriggling through downtown, how should we proceed?") Is there a "containment" group? Flashy things? Spells of "You saw nothing."?

Huh. That raises another question. Do we have any good-guy sorcerors or is this purely lead and semtex against ancient evils from the nth dimension?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Lustful Bride

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on October 07, 2015, 11:05:41 AM
Seems like in some situations we'd be better off posing as CDC than FBI. "Sorry, everyone in this building is under quarantine until we figure out what's going on. Remain calm, we are coordinating transportation which should arrive shortly." (To take you all to one of those nuclear testing bore-holes out in the middle of Nowhere, Nevada, where we put all the other things that we don't ever want walking the earth again.)

How is "cleaning" handled if a situation gets out of hand? (i.e., "We now have a two-figure body count and a dozen witnesses to an avatar of Nyarlathotep wriggling through downtown, how should we proceed?") Is there a "containment" group? Flashy things? Spells of "You saw nothing."?

Huh. That raises another question. Do we have any good-guy sorcerors or is this purely lead and semtex against ancient evils from the nth dimension?

We can have whatever documents we need in order to get away with our mission with as little trouble as is needed. Though for CDC it might be better to pose as a "Canary Team" and say that's why we are in so few numbers and not bringing a whole division with us.

Clean up: Well it can be either

Give people a shot of an amnesiac drug to erase 24 hours or to call in a Rhino Team and kill everyone and everything in an area. But that's only used if we are dealing with a very bad situation/ a whole town of cultists like Innsmouth...though that will constitute a sanity loss because it will mean killing everyone...everyone...we get our hands bloody and dirty so that other people can live in happy ignorance.

Good Guy sorcerers are a thing. They will be the bookworms and scholars of the unit but they wont be able to fire .50 or use any advanced weapons. I was actually thinking of having a good sorceress as my character. A girl hwo accidentally sold her soul/married some ancient crow god. and seems to always have them following her.

And if she dies then her 'husband' will come to collect her soul. Which will consist of tons of crows covering her body, then flying off, leaving only her clothes behind. She was originally part of the FBI unit that replaced Delta Green but was reassigned when the two were combined.

The absolute worst scenario that can happen is "Covenant Contingency" (in reference to innsmouth) and we need to bring in the regular army or more to fight whatever is coming. At that point we might not be able to contain the truth and re looking at some big problems.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Well-answered.

Also, The Mist! Beautiful movie. Really one of the better horror movies of the past few decades.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 07, 2015, 11:19:13 AMThe absolute worst scenario that can happen is "Covenant Contingency" (in reference to innsmouth) and we need to bring in the regular army or more to fight whatever is coming. At that point we might not be able to contain the truth and re looking at some big problems.

One interesting idea from The Laundry Files is that reality as we perceive it is largely constrained because there are so many active observers ("sane" humans) who consider it to be stable, and normal. Major incursions are potential X-threats because the more people become aware that the universe doesn't work the way they think, that they are not alone in it, and that there are brain-sucking eldritch horrors all around them separated only by the thinnest interdimensional veil, the weaker the 'stability' of reality becomes...And the more easily things from other dimensions can rip their way through.

This has the potential to cascade. A bad outbreak causes a whole lot of people to go insane, weakening the barriers of what we think of as reality, which lets more nasty horrors in, which means the outbreak spreads, causing more people to lose their grip, weakening the barriers even further and over a wider area, which lets in more nasty horrors, which...

You get the picture.

The Laundry calls it "Case Nightmare Green" and takes it so seriously that they have put reverse-engineered basilisk technology into all of the CCTV cameras in the UK, because they'd rather have to turn half of London into statuary than have half of London turn into gibbering living gateways for Things Too Fierce To Mention.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 07, 2015, 12:13:18 AM

I was thinking freeform unless someone has a super simple system :P (never played a system before.)

And no I never heard if The Laundry Files. But I looked them uo and they seem interesting.

This must be corrected immediately.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 07, 2015, 02:44:41 PM
This must be corrected immediately.

If you do not have Case Wetdream Pearl clearance, stop reading this dossier immediately and report it and yourself to your supervisory security officer for discipline.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Lustful Bride

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on October 07, 2015, 01:23:20 PM
One interesting idea from The Laundry Files is that reality as we perceive it is largely constrained because there are so many active observers ("sane" humans) who consider it to be stable, and normal. Major incursions are potential X-threats because the more people become aware that the universe doesn't work the way they think, that they are not alone in it, and that there are brain-sucking eldritch horrors all around them separated only by the thinnest interdimensional veil, the weaker the 'stability' of reality becomes...And the more easily things from other dimensions can rip their way through.

This has the potential to cascade. A bad outbreak causes a whole lot of people to go insane, weakening the barriers of what we think of as reality, which lets more nasty horrors in, which means the outbreak spreads, causing more people to lose their grip, weakening the barriers even further and over a wider area, which lets in more nasty horrors, which...

You get the picture.

The Laundry calls it "Case Nightmare Green" and takes it so seriously that they have put reverse-engineered basilisk technology into all of the CCTV cameras in the UK, because they'd rather have to turn half of London into statuary than have half of London turn into gibbering living gateways for Things Too Fierce To Mention.

Ive se this concept in other places and I rather enjoy it.

Also All the beings of Lovecraftian origin will be there as well as a few extras. And of course my favorite, the Black Pharaoh himself

Lyrics translated here.

Crying out from the Red Land
Came a man of darkness
With evil bloody secrets

He knew the Black Pharaoh
Servant to the Faceless Sphinx God
He gave me the book of the dead

Nyarlathotep
Slaughterer bringing nigh those who are detested
Nyarlathotep

Tumult and time bent