The Sunless Citadel and other tales (3.5 D&D Gestalt) -- Seeking Player

Started by PhantomPistoleer, June 04, 2021, 12:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on June 07, 2021, 04:22:36 AM
Rowena Shadowcast
Human (F) Rogue/Warlock

BIO:  A student at the University.  Rowena was orphaned at an early age and took to running the streets of White Top.  During those early years, she was often up to no good and had earned a reputation as a "trouble-maker" and "good-for-naught".  It was only through the benevolence of Professor Winkledinkle's that she was enrolled and allowed to attend the University.  Since then, she's done her best to curb her wilder tendencies and tame her chaotic impulses.  She tries hard to prove that she belongs and to make up for her past misdeeds.

Cool character.  This is EXACTLY what I want.  Great job.

You may start building a sheet.  You shouldn't spring for MW Thieves Tools, as Alfie bought some.

Additionally, Alfie has 18gp left, which you can "borrow" when outfitting your character.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on June 07, 2021, 12:59:29 AM
Good to see Alfie about again.   I'd like to throw my hat in for this.   Been looking for running a Gestalt. 

Kendra Greenfield

Druid/Rogue Gestalt

Working kinks in background for better fit.

Aww, yay.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

House Rules:

Constant Initiative!
This game is mechanical in nature and characters will be on a constant initiative.  This means that each post should be comprised of actions that take six seconds to perform.  Characters can also "wait" for other characters who are performing "multiround" actions.  An even better method of waiting is "aiding."

The Flashback Engine.
The game will start at the edge of a cliff overlooking the Sunless Citadel.  A lot of information will be exchanged through flashback.  To that end, information that you seek can also be acquired through flashbacks.

Example:

"As Alfie clambered down the side of the cliff, he recalled the conversation he had with Prof. Winkledinkle before he came.

"Why do you want this fruit, Professor?"

The Professor said..."

Then the GM would step in and answer the question.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

Do you want a new post with the character sheet or should I edit the original?

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on June 07, 2021, 06:31:27 PM
Do you want a new post with the character sheet or should I edit the original?

Hmm.  Whatever works for you.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Hexed

Tevi TraitorsBlood
Human (F) Warlock/Swordsage

BIO: Tevi is a student of the University of White Top with a horrid reputation. She comes from a disgraced family as well as being blunt spoken and extremely driven to excel in everything she does. Being chosen by Prof. Winkledinkle as one of the members of the field trip to the Sunless Citadel was a joyous moment to her as it meant she was succeeding in overcoming her situation.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Hexed on June 08, 2021, 06:05:33 AM
Tevi TraitorsBlood

BIO: Tevi is one of the last living descendants of a traitor who's antics almost destroyed a kingdom. Or at least that's what she's pieced together from history books as generations have passed since the events took place. Despite the wishes of her farmer parents she threw herself into training under any that would take her as the battle field was one of the few places where her deeds could wash away the stain of her name and grant a new one. Lucking out she caught the eye of a wandering Swordsage who took her under his wing to see how far her determination would take her along the Sublime way. The first part of her training was done in seclusion until her master deemed her ready and set her out to learn and grow before seeking him out once again. She returned home only briefly before setting out seeking knowledge of pretty much anything she could get her hands on.
This led her eventually to the gates of the University of White Top. Throwing herself into her studies with the same focus that she used in her training she managed to stay afloat in the strange world of academics, both ends of the candle burned as she kept her training up, kept up with her school work, and poured through tomes seeking the root of her families trouble. A hint of the reason was exposed when she brushed her fingers against an old bracer carried by a traveling merchant, the touch almost bringing her to her knees as power burned into her soul and words thudded into her mind. "The Pact Was. The Pact Is. The Bargain Is Upheld." Power searing her veins she bought the bracer and took it to the Professors seeking help. While her newfound power was too dense and wild to be constrained by the usual Wizardry formula in time she was able to coax it into a few useful tricks. Her selection by Professor Winkledinkle for a field expedition was a delightful surprise to her and she was quick to vow that she'd live up to the trust placed in her by the Professor.

The intro is too long and ambitious, and is imbued with an epicness that doesn't work for this group.  These are just college students, Hexed.  Sure, they can hail from anywhere, and their family life can run the gamut, but this character's background is too much.  It should sort of reflect what the other characters know.  Let me give you an example of a more viable background:

"Tevi is a student.  She hails from a family with a terrible reputation.  Something to do with treason.  Tevi wants desperately to overcome that reputation, so she was happy that she was chosen by Prof. Winkledinkle to go on the field trip to the Sunless Citadel.  Sometimes, when her reputation is on the line, Tevi will become brash and headstrong."
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Hexed

Elven Sex Goddess

Kendra Greenfield
Human (F) Druid/Rogue
AC 15, HP 8
Character Sheet

BIO:  Kendra is a student at White Top.  She hails from a family of famous adventurers.  Among her many classes, Kendra specifically focuses on learning all aspects of nature.  Her druidic inclinations prohibit her from enjoying the stuffy classrooms, so she was elated when Professor Winkledinkle chose her to go on the trip to the Sunless Citadel.  She will be accompanied by Caspian, her loyal hound.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on June 08, 2021, 11:42:44 AM
Kendra Greenfield
Human (F) Druid/Rogue
AC 15, HP 8
Character Sheet

BIO:  Kendra Greenfield is a student at the university of white top.  Daughter of the adventurers'  the ranger Rolf and sorceress Tanya Greenfield.  Who have seen the spark within their daughter eyes, the hunger for adventure.   So they enrolled her in the school to help her reach her potential.   Of course along came with her Caspian, her wolf she raised from a pup.   Kendra is naturally a gregarious personality.

Hrm.

I would like the second paragraph to read: "She is the daughter of some famous adventurers."  We will never meet Rolf or Tanya, so their inclusion seems indulgent.

The third paragraph doesn't make sense to me, since the college isn't training you to be an adventurer.  If she wants adventure, the last place she'd do it at is White Top.

The fourth is problematic, too, because it makes enrolling, and therefore attending, to be passiive.  Your character should want to be at the university.

I think an element that has to be discussed is how her being a druid causes her to feel out of place at the school.

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Elven Sex Goddess

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on June 08, 2021, 11:42:44 AM
Kendra Greenfield
Human (F) Druid/Rogue
AC 15, HP 8
Character Sheet

BIO:  Kendra Greenfield impetuously enrolled in the school.  Like older children had done before in years past from her village.  Coming along with the druidess in making is Caspian her wolf she raised from a pup.  She found classrooms to be stuffy and stifling.  Often found in a grove of trees on campus, when not attending class.  The headmaster would see that in class she lagged, but in her grove nature itself is teaching her.  So Kendra is elated, when she is chosen with others for the field trip to the Sunless Citadel.  Kendra is naturally a gregarious personality.

I don't understand.  Why do the kids from her village impetuously enroll at White Top?

I know this is weird, but you should just keep it simple.

"Kendra is a student at White Top.  She hails from a family of famous adventurers.  Among her many classes, Kendra specifically focuses on learning all aspects of nature.  Her druidic inclinations prohibit her from enjoying the stuffy classrooms, so she was elated when Professor Winkledinkle chose her to go on the trip to the Sunless Citadel.  She will be accompanied by Caspian, her loyal hound."

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Hexed

Blegh I hate trying to pick words.  Later then I wanted but cut down and edited Tevi's bio.

FroggyBoi

I don't think he's cut you out if that's what you're saying. He just likes moving quickly.

On a related note, I'm still interested. I'm a little caught up on picking classes since I haven't really done 3.5 before, but I'll try and have a character idea at least tonight.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Hexed on June 08, 2021, 06:05:33 AM
Tevi TraitorsBlood

BIO: Tevi is a student of the University of White Top with a horrid reputation. She comes from a disgraced family as well as being blunt spoken and extremely driven to excel in everything she does. Being chosen by Prof. Winkledinkle as one of the members of the field trip to the Sunless Citadel was a joyous moment to her as it meant she was succeeding in overcoming her situation.

This is great.  Welcome aboard.  :)

Feel free to play in the IC while you build your character.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Hexed

Quote from: FroggyBoi on June 08, 2021, 09:18:25 PM
I don't think he's cut you out if that's what you're saying. He just likes moving quickly.

On a related note, I'm still interested. I'm a little caught up on picking classes since I haven't really done 3.5 before, but I'll try and have a character idea at least tonight.
^^
It just takes me a bit to make posts as I keep redoing lines. Tevi's new bio is three lines. Almost each one rewritten about twenty times a piece.

Nice thing about gestalt means you get to try 2 classes at once. Even if the guides do claim it's best to pick a 'active' and a 'passive' class instead.

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on June 08, 2021, 09:20:07 PM
This is great.  Welcome aboard.  :)

Feel free to play in the IC while you build your character.
Thanks! Hopefully I don't bungle her too badly.

Kathadon

Derek Highkeep
Human (Male) Cleric/Sorcerer

BIO: The middle child of a minor noble house, Derek Highkeep, is a student at the University. He is little bit introverted and bookish. He also dreads the sight of blood. He is both helpful and reluctant to say no, so there are many cases where he gets somewhat troublesome requests from his more "outgoing" classmates.
My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Kathadon on June 08, 2021, 10:27:15 PM
Derek Highkeep
Human (Male) Cleric/Sorcerer

BIO: The middle child of a minor noble house, Derek Highkeep, is a student at the University. He is little bit introverted and bookish. He also dreads the sight of blood. He is both helpful and reluctant to say no, so there are many cases where he gets somewhat troublesome requests from his more "outgoing" classmates.

All right all right.

Now a sorcerer/cleric combo is a little op, so please don't be an ass and build something crazy.  Otherwise...  IN.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kathadon

My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

PhantomPistoleer

If you are even remotely interested in coming along on this adventure, you need to notify me by Friday, the 11th.  I will not accept any other characters afterwards.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kalon

I'm totally interested in joining up, if there's still room. c: I'm usually a 5e kinda gal, but I'm eager to give 3.5e a go for once!

Stella Sweetspell
Human (F), Bard/Warmage

Bio: Stella Sweetspell is the oldest child of a noble house. She excels academically and spares no effort in her attempts to someday assert herself as not just a top student at White Top--but the top student at White Top. Her ambition makes her a hard-worker second to none in her dedication to honing her craft; but her competitive streak makes her rather hot-headed and abrasive at times. Takes perhaps too much pride in her noble status.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Kalon on June 10, 2021, 02:01:14 AM
I'm totally interested in joining up, if there's still room. c: I'm usually a 5e kinda gal, but I'm eager to give 3.5e a go for once!

Stella Sweetspell
Human (F), Bard/Warmage

Bio: Stella Sweetspell is the oldest child of a noble house. She excels academically and spares no effort in her attempts to someday assert herself as not just a top student at White Top--but the top student at White Top. Her ambition makes her a hard-worker second to none in her dedication to honing her craft; but her competitive streak makes her rather hot-headed and abrasive at times. Takes perhaps too much pride in her noble status.

I like it.  You may hop into the IC.  Your character is currently in a tent.  Look at the IC.  Everyone is up and at 'em.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Chulanowa

Derrin Glenwood
Human (M) Paladin/Cleric
AC  ???, HP  ???

BIO:  Derrin is, of course a Divinity student at the university. He hails from humble origins, and wants to prove that the son of a turnip farmer can be as bold and heroic as any heir to a barony. He might not always be the sharpest sword in the scabbard, but he's got a good heart and is always looking out for other people on the bottom rung.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Chulanowa on June 10, 2021, 10:09:50 AM
Derrin Glenwood
Human (M) Paladin/Cleric
AC  ???, HP  ???

BIO:  Derrin is, of course a Divinity student at the university. He hails from humble origins, and wants to prove that the son of a turnip farmer can be as bold and heroic as any heir to a barony. He might not always be the sharpest sword in the scabbard, but he's got a good heart and is always looking out for other people on the bottom rung.

This is great.  WHY DID IT TAKE YOU A WEEK to get this up?  So simple.  I swear.

I like him.  Okay, we'll give Derrin a shot.  GET IN THE TENT, you!

Aribeth will be happy.  We have someone who hits hard.  Hopefully.

SO THAT MEANS I have all of my characters for my little play.  I am locking the thread.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O