So like... Final Fantasy? (System or Freeform)

Started by Florence, May 13, 2016, 03:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

I'll be totally honest, I have 0 idea of what kind of rp I'm looking for her, but with the release of FFX HD on the PC, I'm kind of craving some FF RP, X or otherwise. I mean, original world, set in one of the game's settings, system, freeform, I'm basically open to anything a perspective GM might want to run.

My only real caveat I think, is that I'd really rather play original characters. I mean, there's a few FF canon characters I could probably bring myself to play, but OCs would be preferred.

If any GM wants to run a system game, but doesn't have a system in mind, I know of these:

http://ffrpg.net/ffrpg/

http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/introduction.html

Though, disclaimer, I haven't played these systems and can't confirm whether or not they're any good.

From a quick glance, FFRPG looks more 'authentically' Final Fantasy, being largely built from the ground up for Final Fantasy. FFD20, on the other hand, looks like its essentially Pathfinder, just with rules for Final Fantasy stuff. So it probably feels less authentic, but might be easier for people familiar with pathfinder to get into.

tl;dr I'm craving some Final Fantasy, halp.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

wander

Gonna plop some interest as a player here, as I love me some Final Fantasy.

I'd also recommend a reskin of Dungeon World, with the Class Warfare supplement as an optional bit for the former. Dungeon World is a really good light system. It also happens to be my go-to system for playing in my home-made setting of Wander Worlds, which I stuck with a good few FF tropes, though mainly XII stuff, link for the setting is in my sig.

Lockepick

I'm going to also note interest!

I would say that the biggest mistake I see in most FF-based system games is that they try to include a little bit of everything. I'd build a specific world/universe (or pick a specific game's world/universe) and go from there. If you just allow everything and anything -- things just blur together, and you end up with nothing specific, you know?

I'm cool with a canon world/specific game's world (though would prefer something before or after the game events, not during) -- but I'm only interested in original characters.

As for systems: I'm down for any of the systems, though I've never played Dungeon World, I'm willing to learn it.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Revelation

FFRPG is a real awful mess of a rules system, I don't think i'd recommend it. It's math formula after math formula and some of them are kind of broken, good or bad. I've played it a few times before and each time the rules system has left me a little frustrated and the rest of the players the same way.

Never seen FFd20, but I have heard good stuff about dungeon world. I'd be potentially interested depending on the system.

wander

I will say I do like the look of what's been done with the FFd20 system, so I'm cool with that as much as I am DW. Wouldn't mind making a character for FFd20.

Florence

Glad to see there's some interest at least!

I'd be tempted to GM it myself, as I still remember some bits of an old Final Fantasy world I made up forever ago, but I don't think I'd have the time really. I'm working on a Pathfinder game for some friends and I've been struggling to get that off the ground do to schedules and such, so I'd probably be better off as a player here.

I suppose another question to get in the air is whether people are more interested in a medieval fantasy type world (Most of the oldest ones, along with FFIX) a more modern/sci-fi leaning game (VII, VIII, XIII, XV), or something else entirely. Whether we wind up going with a canon setting, or an original Final Fantasy world, that might be worth getting opinions on.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Revelation

I could swing either way, I think i'd probably prefer an original setting unless we were using Eorzea or something - which I highly doubt would be the case! But I can go with a more fantasy or magitech based world ala VI, or more modern ala 7 and onward.

Florence

Quote from: Changingsaint on May 13, 2016, 07:19:20 PM
I could swing either way, I think i'd probably prefer an original setting unless we were using Eorzea or something - which I highly doubt would be the case! But I can go with a more fantasy or magitech based world ala VI, or more modern ala 7 and onward.

I am SO damn immature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es8dJ7gMWQQ

Anyway, getting past the fact that I am apparently a 12 year old... (... er... admins, seriously, I'm not. It's just a joke!)

I could go either way too, frankly. If we're going to use a canon setting, I suppose I'd prefer Ivalice (either the FFT or FFXII version, but preferably not the FFTA version) or Spira (because I'm playing FFX HD atm, it could be set post-X2 to give more freedom), though I'm flexible in that regard. Personally, I think an original setting would probably work best, but that would also probably be the most work for a GM.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

wander

Lots of locales and a great map to Ivalice, though I do like Spira and you did want to go with something FFX to begin with. That said, I do also like what I've seen of FFXV, though I do have a love for magitech in an otherwise fantasy world.

In other words, I'm being a bit indecisive... ^^;

DarkMachinations

so uhm, Never DM'd an RP on the idea of a Roll System or anything like that but >.> I do have about a years worth of experience grinding every class in FF14.  So I know just about every dungeon's layouts, the bosses, the mobs, I've done all 3 Starter areas too, including beast tribes.  I'm an experienced Dom Rper, and I'd happy be to give an FF14 Styled Group RP a shot.  How about it adventurers, wanna give it a shot o .o  Need at least a Tank, Healer and 2 DPS o .o I'm okay with MxM, FxF and MxF (though my skills an F character [probs garuda interactions] is a bit lacking o .o) 

I'm also available for FFXIV/14 1x1 RPs of the MxM or MxF Variety, by it Non-Con, Dub-Con or Con, styles so if anyone doesn't necessarily connect on the Group idea, feel free to message me, and we can talk about that too.

Lockepick

What system were you considering? Or did you mean freeform?

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

DarkMachinations

the closest thing I have to experience as a DM is running all the NPCs in a group rp, so it'd have to be freeform, but I'll include mob stats and dmg if necessary

Lockepick

Ah, I think I'll pass on a freeform for this setting -- but wish you the best of luck!

DarkMachinations

I'm not searching for it, I saw this thread and made an offer, if nobody wants in that's fine.

A Person On A Computer

I'd be up to play this game if it was using DW or FFD20.  Both seem interesting enough. 

Atkinson

Alright!  I've resisted long enough!

I would love FF-based RP, and in a strange break from my norm, I'd rather system than freeform in this case.  Because FF is a weird beast that way.

In terms of aesthetic, as Florence earlier put it, "the oldest ones" are the ones I favor by far.  Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yasumi Matsuno, and Naoki Yoshida know and understand FF the best, and know/knew what they were doing.  Yoshinori Kitase and Tetsuya Nomura, on the other hand, are clearly (after the shadow of Mr.Sakaguchi was no longer looming above them) untalented hacks that throw crap at the wall and hope something sticks and try to bank on hype to try and make up the difference.  (Hmmm...  It appears I'm very passionate about this sort of thing!)

Unrelated: you need to be more RWBY-active Florence. ; ;

Revelation

Quote from: Atkinson on June 05, 2016, 12:41:58 AM

I would love FF-based RP, and in a strange break from my norm, I'd rather system than freeform in this case.  Because FF is a weird beast that way.

In terms of aesthetic, as Florence earlier put it, "the oldest ones" are the ones I favor by far.  Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yasumi Matsuno, and Naoki Yoshida know and understand FF the best, and know/knew what they were doing.  Yoshinori Kitase and Tetsuya Nomura, on the other hand, are clearly (after the shadow of Mr.Sakaguchi was no longer looming above them) untalented hacks that throw crap at the wall and hope something sticks and try to bank on hype to try and make up the difference.  (Hmmm...  It appears I'm very passionate about this sort of thing!)

Matsuno is one of my favorite artists as far as games go. Though I do think Nomura has done some good FF wise. I do love Matsuno driven games.

Florence

Quote from: Atkinson on June 05, 2016, 12:41:58 AM

Fuck, sorry, this thread was so quiet I forgot all about it!

I'd love to do this rp, but it doesn't seem to be generating much interest. Unfortunately, the RWBY rp seems to be dead too.

AndyZ

I'm totally up for it if you decide to run it.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.