News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

IE 6, how do I hate thee, let me count the ways...

Started by Vekseid, September 18, 2008, 12:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

Quote from: Vekseid on September 19, 2008, 01:20:08 AM
You could think of web services - Google docs is one example - as a giant Microsoft Office-sized hole about six feet deep. Chrome is like the prototype of a proper nail. No one has made the proper coffin yet, though its shape is pretty obvious at this point.

This thought gives me warm fuzzies in my happy places. :)

Oniya

If you decide to use Chrome - aside from the fact that I believe it is an open beta and not a full release - please take into account the key-logger that it incorporates.  Google has said that only 2% of the logged data will be retained on their servers (associated with your IP address), but the right 2% combined with the right security breach is just asking for trouble. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Maeven

Quote from: Oniya on September 19, 2008, 09:41:48 AM
If you decide to use Chrome - aside from the fact that I believe it is an open beta and not a full release - please take into account the key-logger that it incorporates.  Google has said that only 2% of the logged data will be retained on their servers (associated with your IP address), but the right 2% combined with the right security breach is just asking for trouble. 

Wow.  An integrated keylogger? I haven't looked into Chrome really as I'm happy with FF, but with that knowledge, I seriously doubt I'll use it now.  It bothers me enough that all my browsing history is forever recorded and associated with my gmail account.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Porphyre

Yeah, they can stay the hell away from me with an integrated keylogger. Chrome annoys me. It's the first thing google has done that I view as entirely unnecessary and problematic. There are enough browsers. Another one to code for is nothing but a pain in the ass.

Oniya

The key-logger can be disabled by turning off the auto-suggest feature, but of course that's not the default setting.  I've been in computers long enough to know that the average end-user doesn't even look at the default settings unless there's a problem, and 90% of the time, it's at the direction of tech support instead of sorting out the solution on their own.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Vekseid

I'll be rather surprised of Yahoo doesn't end up releasing their own browser soon.

And Porphyre, more browsers cutting away at IE is actually good. Anything that makes IE6 die faster is good, actually >_>

Google's thirst for data notwithstanding.

Porphyre

I don't think someone who still hasn't moved away from ie6, with firefox and opera both recommended with good reputations these days, will switch to chrome.
I'm under the impression that people who still use ie6 will stick with it forever until either they're forced to switch because websites start blocking them, or they get a new computer with a new OS that comes bundled with something better.

Vekseid

Quote from: Porphyre on September 19, 2008, 07:02:00 PM
I don't think someone who still hasn't moved away from ie6, with firefox and opera both recommended with good reputations these days, will switch to chrome.
I'm under the impression that people who still use ie6 will stick with it forever until either they're forced to switch because websites start blocking them, or they get a new computer with a new OS that comes bundled with something better.

Most of them just don't know, actually.

Porphyre

I know a girl who is taking web design in college, and I caught her using ie6 FROM THEIR CAMPUS COMPUTERS.

Oniya

I stuck with IE6 until I wanted to get on Y!hosting.  I needed to use Firefox for that, so I ended up downloading it and fell in love with it.  This is the real way to start a sea-change in browser habits.  Make it the only way to get to the nekkid peoples.   ;D

Porphyre

It's true. Bundle some pics with the download too plz.

ShrowdedPoet

I'm still with explorer.  When I heard about crome I uploaded it.  It's still not functional to my knowledge but I will be using it.  I don't care if they spy on what I type.  Everybody does that so what does it really matter?  I also have firefox.  I just don't really care for the new firefox.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Cutter

Quote from: Maeven on September 18, 2008, 11:07:01 AM
I really like firefox.  To me, it seems faster than IE7 and you just can't beat the integrated spell check.

Yes! Right on,sister!
I am the Dark Unspoken that dwells within, weighted by the chains of your preconceptions. Release me and I shall release you.

My On's and Off's :

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13915.0

Sultrynets

Firefox is amazing... only browser I will use.  I swear by it.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td][/tr][/table]

Xillen

Quote from: Porphyre on September 19, 2008, 07:02:00 PM

Actually, I just might exactly do that. Move from IE6 to Chrome. Either that or FireFox. Kinda depends on the situation when I'm NEEDED to force.

Or maybe I'm forced to upgrade beyond 2K at that time and will be running Vista with IE7. (or IE8?)

ShrowdedPoet

I use IE7 on home comp but work comp is. . .stuck in the dino ages!
Ons and Offs

Xillen

I don't have my own PC yet at work, so I can never log in with admin rights. IE7's default settings are just horrible, so I'll stick to Firefox at work.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Xillen on September 24, 2008, 12:34:50 PM
I don't have my own PC yet at work, so I can never log in with admin rights. IE7's default settings are just horrible, so I'll stick to Firefox at work.

Eh, I like IE7 for the tiny bit of browsing I actully do. . .but it can be buggy which just drives me nuts!!!
Ons and Offs

Vekseid

Quote from: Xillen on September 24, 2008, 11:56:19 AM
Actually, I just might exactly do that. Move from IE6 to Chrome. Either that or FireFox. Kinda depends on the situation when I'm NEEDED to force.

Or maybe I'm forced to upgrade beyond 2K at that time and will be running Vista with IE7. (or IE8?)

XP is still being sold until January of next year as OEM, and is immensely more secure than 2K.

Alternatively, there is Linux. I'm growing to like Debian + xfce.

Canuckian

I would switch to Firefox if it had a zoom function.  Because I use a 46" big screen as my monitor, I like being able to control the size of the pictures and videos displayed.  Firefox only lets me increase the size of the font.

Trust me, trying to watch a YouTube clip this tiny is harder than it seems.  My resolution is set to 1920x1080, and trying to watch a 300x500 clip... yuck!  With IE7 I could (until recently) load up the clips and then zoom the whole page, video included.  For some reason, YouTube doesn't like my IE any more, so I have to use Firefox with it.  Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

Revolverman

Quote from: Canuckian on September 24, 2008, 03:53:26 PM
I would switch to Firefox if it had a zoom function.  Because I use a 46" big screen as my monitor, I like being able to control the size of the pictures and videos displayed.  Firefox only lets me increase the size of the font.

Trust me, trying to watch a YouTube clip this tiny is harder than it seems.  My resolution is set to 1920x1080, and trying to watch a 300x500 clip... yuck!  With IE7 I could (until recently) load up the clips and then zoom the whole page, video included.  For some reason, YouTube doesn't like my IE any more, so I have to use Firefox with it.  Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

Firefox has zoom.

Canuckian

It does?  All I've been able to find is a way of making the text bigger.  I want to make the whole page bigger.  I mean, this big *holds his hands apart for reference*.

Revolverman

Quote from: Canuckian on September 24, 2008, 04:03:40 PM
It does?  All I've been able to find is a way of making the text bigger.  I want to make the whole page bigger.  I mean, this big *holds his hands apart for reference*.

It zooms everything, im using the zoom right now

Canuckian

Revolverman