The Third Slayer (Buffy/Angel-verse; OCs Only; Unisystem; Still Recruiting!)

Started by Deathnote, December 10, 2013, 10:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deathnote

The two physical attribute bonuses from Slayer-in-Training actually stacks with the attribute bonuses from Slayer.  I'm not entirely sure about the drawbacks, but I imagine that the Adversary drawback is to reflect the extra enemies the Slayer-in-Training made during field-training.  It doesn't have to stack with Adversary (Vampires & Demons).  That drawback could be about some other kind of enemy.

As for Obligation... well... remember when Buffy turned her back on the Watcher's Council, but continued her Slayer duties nonetheless?  That tells me that the Obligation to the Watcher's Council is actually different from the Obligation to Slayer duties.  Still, I could see how they could be one and the same.  Makes sense not to include this drawback in the combo package, so... yeah.  No need to include this drawback, then.  ^_^

kckolbe

Oh, okay.  I like the explanation of obligation, and would prefer to keep that over the adversary one, though both come out to plot hooks for the group that are unlikely to be char specific.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Deathnote

Had to read up on Kendra's character sheet explanation and it looks like you're really suppose to upgrade the Obligation drawback instead of adding on another.

Sessha

Hey DN. I noticed something recently that made me really realize why starting with Champion is better than Investigator. There is a little rule in the book that basicly says that humans can only raise one stat one time, period.  The investigator set does kinda short change the human characters badly.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

kckolbe

Champion is supposed to be stronger than Investigator.  None of the levels are meant to be equal.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Sessha

I know Champion is stronger than Investigator. My only complaint about Investigator is that it short changes human characters as it forces them to be extremely specialized to point of nothing else.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

kckolbe

So, just to keep a running tally, here's what we are looking at so far:

Emmykins: Slayer (at least one of them), focused on magic with the combat ability of a specialized White Hat
Sessha: Specialized fighter, male equivalent of a Slayer.
Batman4560: Watcher, details unknown
kckolbe: All purpose White Hat, strong with a cross (will PM Deathnote)

Deathnote: Multiple

Intro Thread

Muse

*Pounce!* 

Ooh! you're going to use the Buffy/Angel unisystem!?! 

May I play? 

I've had an idea for a while to use the system from Angel to play Spring Healed Jack. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Deathnote

I take it that you'll be playing a Demon, then?  Will you be able to recreate Spring-Heeled Jack using the Investigator type?

Muse

Oh, we're using staggered power levels?  I should read back over. 

And I'm  not sure if I could or not. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

(Oh, and yes, he'd be a demon.) 

I'm about to leave town 'til tuesday.  I'll check if i can build him at that level when I get back.  :)

Callie Del Noire

Tempted to see if I can find my old 'failed' super soldier from a Buffy game I used to play.

kckolbe

Really surprised there aren't more women.  I'm guessing the system is a factor, since I generally see more female interest in Buffy games.

Intro Thread

Batman4560

Well it's official. My Watcher will be a former demon hunter that does suicide missions for the Council.

Deathnote

Hmm... probably should have kept this a Free-Form game, then... ah well!  I've already put in too much time into reading the books to quit now!  :p

By the way, that rule that limits human increases to Attributes via XP sounds really lame, so I'm getting rid of that.  Human maximum limits still apply, though!

Also, to balance things out between Champions/Heroes and Investigators/White Hats a little, I'm considering allowing the latter group to exchange up to five Drama Points for 2 XP per Drama Point.  Spending XP to gain Qualities will not require role-playing if it's done during Character Creation.  Qualities cost the same in XP, by the way.  Still considering this option.  Thoughts, people?

kckolbe

That does seem a reasonable compromise.  After all, xp can be exchanged for Drama Points.

Intro Thread

Batman4560

This thing is new to me and without the books I am flying mostly blind and taking everyones word for what is good.

kckolbe

Okay, I think this guy is ready to go.

Character Name: Eric Holden
Character Type: White Hat
Life Points 47
Drama Points 22 (3 traded for xp)

Attributes (15)
- Attributes purchased on a one-to-one basis, after Attribute Score 5 it becomes three-to-one cost basis.  Human max is 6.
Strength: 3 (1 from Demon Hunter)
Dexterity: 3
Constitution: 4 (1 from Demon Hunter)
Intelligence: 4  (1 from Demon Hunter)
Perception: 3 (1 from Nerd, 1 from Occult Investigator)
Willpower: 5 (1 from Nerd, 1 from Occult Investigator)

Qualities (10, 10 from Drawbacks)
- Demon Hunter (4)
- Nerd (3)
- Supernatural Attack (4) (increased to 7 through xp)
- Occult Investigator (4)
- Hard to Kill (1) (increased to 3 through xp)
- Occult Library, Minimal (1)
- Emotional Influence (Vampires Only, Fear Only, Requires Cross, -1 penalty to normal roll) (3) (increased penalty to -2 through xp)

Drawbacks (up to 10 Spent 11 points, but only "counting" 10)
- Adversary, 2 levels (Vampire 2, Catholic Church 1) (2)
- Talentless (2)
- Covetous: Fame & Renown, Mild (1)
- Emotional Problems: Easily Flustered (1)
- Emotional Problems: Recklessness (1)
- -1 in social situations (0)
- Mild Delusion (0)
- Limitation, Supernatural Attack (2)
- Limitation, Emotional Influence (2)

Skills 15 (White Hat)
- Skills purchased on a one-to-one basis, after Skill of 5 it becomes three-to-one cost basis
Acrobatics 1
Art 1
Computers 0
Crime 0
Doctor 0
Driving 1
Getting Medieval 1 (1 from Demon Hunter)
Gun Fu 0
Influence 2
Knowledge 3 (2 from Nerd)
Kung Fu 1 (1 from Demon Hunter)
Languages 2
Mr. Fix-It 0
Notice 2
Occultism 3 (2 from Occult Investigator, 1 from Demon Hunter)
Science 1
Sports 1
Wild Card: Improvised Weapons 3

Maneuvers
Maneuver Name; Bonus 0; Base Damage 0; Notes

Dodge; Bonus 4
Supernatural Attack (SA); Bonus 6; 30 Damage; Vampires Only, Requires Cross
Cross Attack w/SA; Bonus 2; 42 Damage; Only 12 Damage to non Vampires, Requires large cross
Melee Attack; Bonus 6; 12 Damage
Stake; Bonus 4, 6 Damage
Through Heart; Bonus 1; 6 Damage; 30 Damage vs Vampires

Character Background:  Eric was born to a rather affluent family, his father a radar engineer for Lockheed Martin, one of the primary Department of Defense contractors.  He took an interest in history before long, particularly ancient myths.  By the time he finished junior high he knew all of the Greek myths, and he continued on to Norse and Egyptian in high school.  He attended UCLA and focused on history and world religions, eventually pursuing a degree in Sociocultural Anthropology.  By 26 he'd earned his PhD, continuing to focus on the role of religions throughout history and narrowing that to the Middle Ages.  Shortly after graduation, he had a book published on the transitions from pagan cultures into modern day Catholicism.  Eric was recognized by the academic community, and his publisher gave him a significant advance for his next book, in which he promised to link the Catholic Church to vampire myths.

Eric had decided his second book would focus on the myths regarding vampires, given their current presence in American pop culture, and a tour of several European and southwest Asian countries was arranged.  He started in Iran, as Persian pottery was the first known record of vampiric depictions.  He then went on to many other countries, discovering several other ancient tales about them.  As he'd hoped, he found a significant lack of records leading up to the 12th century, when they first appeared in Hungary.  Thus far his findings supported his theory that the Catholic church had revived the fears of vampires in order to gain power, and he began investigating sites of attacks and old churches, learning many of the myths surrounding his new topic.  He found scrolls, paintings, stories, and vampires.  The attack killed his tour guide and one other, and Eric barely survived, though many of his notes were left behind.  The Catholic Church pulled some strings, and Eric ended up having to leave Hungary due to pressure from the host government, though not until after having even more of his materials confiscated.  His publisher was devastated when Eric told him he would not be writing the book as planned, though he did not give the real reason why.  He was forced to pay back some of the advance on the second book, and his second book, which remained on the topic of vampires, was not a success.  Though his decision to not say that vampires were real prevented him from losing credibility, he instead was deemed guilty of publishing a book too uninteresting to discuss.

Intro Thread

Deathnote

You may exchange up to 5 Drama Points for XP at a rate of 2 XP per 1 Drama Point.  In other words, if you trade in 3 Drama Points, you gain 6 XP for the purposes of improving your character.  Improving your character through XP, however, is a little different.

Raising an attribute point by one will cost 5 x new Attribute score.  So if you want to raise your strength from 2 to 3, for example, it'll cost 15 experience points.  Raising a skill point by one will cost 2 x new Skill score.  Learning a new skill (as in, raising it from 0 to 1) will cost 5 points.  Qualities cost the same as they do in experience points, but unless it's during character creation, you also have to role-play it out.  If you role-play really well, you may get the Quality for free.

Edit: Updated first post to reflect this.

kckolbe

Updated my character sheet.  I spent 11 points on Drawbacks, but since 10 is the limit, I only gave myself 10 extra points from them.  I wanted the extra Drawback enough to take it for free.

Intro Thread

Batman4560

kckolbe

About to head to work, but absolutely.  We can PM about what you are wanting and I can help from there.

Intro Thread

Batman4560

Deathnote

Alright, let's do a quick rundown of who's playing as what:

Sessha - Mystical Swordsman (Champion)
kckolbe - Cross-Wielding Demon Hunter (White Hat)
Emmykins - Slayer and Witch (Champion)
Batman4560 - Watcher (Investigator/White Hat)
Muse - Spring-Heeled Jack (Investigator/White Hat?)
Callie Del Noire - (not sure if still interested)

Hmm... roll call?  I want to know who's still interested.