Possible Games to run, which one do you like?

Started by Creeper, September 03, 2005, 05:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creeper

Game 1

Bloodied Spurs

Howdy partner! I ain't seen you around these parts before. Why don't you sit a spell, and have a drink?
Oh, you want to know about them, don't cha'? Well, since you've been so kindly as to buy me a drink, I'll spin ya a yarn.
It's not their fault, really, no matter how many preachers, sheriffs and angry mobs shout otherwise. They're just folks who caught a horrible fate. Wherever They walk, maddness follows. Legends that were once just stories to scare the youngin's come to life. They inspire honest, sensible folk like priests and scientists intro creating twisted works of art and science. They are Cursed to disrupt the very laws of man and God, for the rest of their short, fragile lives...
Sayyy... You're not one of the Cursed, are you?

Outline: I've got an idea for a paranormal western game. In the early 1800's, a band of bandits are placed under a terrible curse (to say why would give the game away). Like the old chinese proverb, they are doomed to 'Live in interesting times'. Shadows follow them wherever they go, and the dead rise in their footsteps. To make matters worse, their condition is contagious. In a few years, the wild west is transformed into the Weird West by the passing of The Cursed. Think Deadlands, Think Deathwatch, Think Vampire Hunter D, Think (if you must) Wild Wild west.

System: Probably a Modified version of There Is No Spoon (Found here: http://www.steved.org/roleplaying/rules/tins.html )

Game 2

Marbles

The Universe doesn't work the way we think. Or, rather, the Universe does work the way we think it does, but the Multiverse doesn't. See, all of the alternate dimensions aren't just floating in non-existance, oh no. They're bouncing around the place, smacking into walls of Possibility, Paradox, and on occasion, other Dimensions like ours. It's sorta like a game of marbles on the cosmic scale, with demented kids firing our poor home at some other bastards home. Unfortunatly, whenever Universes collide, they have a habit of rubbing off on each other, exchangings bits and pieces. Well, after the Statue of Liberty was replaced by a horde of marauding aliens, the last President ran on the Promise that he'd do something about 'All this dimensional zanyness'.

Yes, I know Zanyness isn't a word. Pay attention.

Well, the bastard got into office, and established the Advanced Stability Service and yes, I know what it stands for. The President wasn't terrible good with grammer, or spelling, or intelligence in general, but we had plenty of polical powers over the state and military to abuse, not to mention a wad of money, and the best men in the field, dedicated to cleaning up the messes caused by the Celestial Marble game. And we did an excellent Job as well.

Of course, that paticular President went on to commit many, many mistakes. In 4 years, his opponent beat the old guy with three words. "I'm not Him."

So, the new guy in office has gone about undoing everything that the old president did. They didn't close us down completely, but our resources have been... scaled back.

Right, your mission. Seattle has gone missing. Here's fifty bucks for a plane ticket in the cargo hold, and, like, some snacks if you want 'em. Get to it, soldier.

Outline: Marbles is a comedic anime(ish) game set in the not too distant future, with the characters taking the role of underfunded misfits charged with cleaning up with the world's biggest messes. Think Sliders, or any of those cartoons with time travel. Extra experience will be given for funny 1-liners.

System: BESM (Tristat, or D20 if there's enough demand). Possibly Moderated Freeform.

Game 3

Cobalt Song (name under consideration)

You have to try this game!
It's soooo cool! It's one of those new VR games where your mind is completely immersed in the ! Just grab the helmet and an internet connection, plug in, make your character and BAM! Right in the most realistic MMORPG on the planet! Practically anything you can do here, you can in the Game, and much much more! It's sooo fun! Just like those boring tabletop Dungeon and Dragon games you play, but much more fun! I was playing for 5 hours straight last night!
Oh, those rumors. Listen, it's all bullshit. I mean, c'mon, comas and instant death from a game? Even if it was true, those people probably had, like, heart and brain conditions or something. And the Disapearances? Nobody disappears from the game, moving would disconnect them! Don't worry! Relax! Put the helmet on!
I'm telling you, once you start playing, you'll never stop.

Ever.

Outline: Think ".Hack" only with more D&D and less Anime, and you've got a good picture. Or, a Massive Multi-user Online RPG (Like Everquest and World of Warcraft) plugged directly into your head.

System: Most likely Moderated Freeform, considering the complexity to simulate a real body and a fake, superpowered one would disrupt a forum game.

Any of these interesting?
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

kylie

Two sounds kind of curious.  Perhaps I could dream up some shanghaied La Femme Nikita type (or wannabe thereof) with a mix of genres in her background.  Or perhaps foreground.  Just batting around.  Ahem.  But it does sound kinda nifty.  And I do miss Seattle...

Creeper

Thanks, for your interest. I do think I should mention a few things about the game.

First, none of my games are the kind where the PC is just left alone to do whatever. If you don't go looking for The Plot, the Plot will come looking for you. All the plots will be constructed indivdually matching the character's history and goals.

Second, the PC's arn't likely to meet up with each other. Posting will be primarily between GM and PC. I find that the game moves faster when there are just the two people involved. Exceptions can be made, of course.

Third, Any sex will also be plotted to the player's interests. My own interests will make apperances (tentacles, hermaphrodites, other weird stuff) but none of these will be inflicted on your characters unless you want them.

Fourth, The setting is mutable. You can crash the Game, lift the Dreadful curse, or stop the Cosmic game of marbles. It won't be easy, or done quickly, but it IS possible in my games.

Fifth, No Poofters!

Six, okay, you can have you damn poofters!  ;D

Siegfried

Number two sounds very interesting, but I biase because I'm a major BESM fan.  What would the point range be?

Creeper

40 points, most likely. Your characters can be humans, aliens, extradimensional travelers, or whatever you want. The only thing is that they must all be employed(blackmailed/threatened/bribed) into working for Advanced Stability Service.

Ty

Quote from: Creeper on September 04, 2005, 10:27:32 PM

Second, the PC's arn't likely to meet up with each other. Posting will be primarily between GM and PC. I find that the game moves faster when there are just the two people involved. Exceptions can be made, of course.

Interesting. So you run more a series of parallel plotlines, than the more traditional style of forum game?

Creeper

Yep. That way you're only really waiting for one person, which reduces the lag time for posting. If another player vanishes, it won't disrupt the game. But the actions of each player will still have an effect on the world as a whole...

Ty

*nods* Sounds interesting. Depending on when your usual posting times are, I might apply. Though I can't say any of the three ideas shines as better than any of the others to me. They are all solid concepts.

Siegfried

Using Second Ed. then?  Judging by the points allowed it's the most reasonable.  Have you checked out Tri-Stat DX?  I'm waiting for Third Ed. to hit the shelves.  Ordered my copy but waiting is sooo hard!

Creeper

Since there's no rabid demand for D20, then we'll be using Second edition. Haven't seen DX yet, though...

Siegfried

If you're able, try down loading it from GOO's main site.  The entire book is free but their server is have technical difficulties at the moment.  DX changes everything about the game.  Characters get more points to be created with (lowest suggested list is 50, 300+ is at the other end) but the cost for abilities has increased (Mecha now cost 8/level) and sub-abilities called power motifiers are introduced.  They allow a person to have a better control over: how far away from the character does the power work (Range), how large an area is effected by the power (Area), the number of objects that can be hit by the power (Targets) and how long the power can be maintained (Duration).  DX covers dice range from D4 to D20 and generally, the higher the dice, the higer the starting character point total

Hunter

*perks up at the mention of dX*
I have both dX and BESM 2nd edition available as pdf files.  ^_^

Creeper

I'll just be using 2nd edition for simplicity, though I will look into DX. If we can get 6 people interested in 1 game, I'll request a forum.

Siegfried

I'm in.  BESM's one of my, if not the, favourite systems.  Any rule changes?  I've got the book at home so I can make a character right away.

Creeper

There's probably going to be a limit to Combat Mastery, but other then that, no changes.

Siegfried