Skyhold - A DA:I RP

Started by Primarch, January 25, 2015, 09:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 27, 2015, 03:47:41 PM
Ok...but what if I can't find a Faceclaim that matches what I want Kas to look like (which I can't; I did try, but I can't)? Is the picture I provided sufficient, or do I have to find a celebrity to "play" him? Because I don't think I can do that. I spent quite a while looking earlier today, and I just couldn't find one I was happy with.

To be honest 'Real facelclaim or image from source' is a rule I take to all of my games. I dislike a wide variety of different types of art representing different characters, I prefer some consistency in how characters appear. Running a game for a group of other people can take quite a bit of effort, indulging me in this preference is one of the little things I ask in return.

QuoteRight, gotcha. Although, we may want to hold off on the amount of threads as much as possible...Group Games get a maximum of two threads per player before they hit 1000 IC posts (at which point they get a board), so until we hit that magic number, we're going to be limited in how many threads we have. Main Mission, OOC, Character and Skyhold is already 4 threads.
At least, that's my understanding of the rules, I could be wrong there. :-)

Worst case scenario players take it off site, drop a few bullet points on anything relevant in the OOC thread.

Quote from: la dame en noir on January 27, 2015, 04:04:54 PM
@Primarch: Are my images okay for the character? I've been searching for hours for appropriate photos. Its kind of hard when I only play dark skinned characters lol.

Admittedly most people who appear in Medieval period/fantasy media tend to be Caucasian.

Image on the right is fine, use that for your main. The other two can be placed into the Other section in spoiler tags.

la dame en noir

Quote from: Primarch on January 27, 2015, 04:15:02 PM
To be honest 'Real facelclaim or image from source' is a rule I take to all of my games. I dislike a wide variety of different types of art representing different characters, I prefer some consistency in how characters appear. Running a game for a group of other people can take quite a bit of effort, indulging me in this preference is one of the little things I ask in return.

Worst case scenario players take it off site, drop a few bullet points on anything relevant in the OOC thread.

Admittedly most people who appear in Medieval period/fantasy media tend to be Caucasian.

Image on the right is fine, use that for your main. The other two can be placed into the Other section in spoiler tags.

I can just find something different if you need me to.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Vergil Tanner

Well, this isn't about me being stubborn or holding to some principle; I know from experience how difficult running a game for others can be; I've been doing it for the last six or seven years, both on forums and on tabletop, so I can empathise. Believe me, if I could find a celebrity who matched the appearance I want for Kas, I would use him. The problem is, I can't find any who are anywhere near what I want Kas to look like, and I'm uncomfortable limiting my creativity and my control over how my character looks for the sake of faceclaiming a celebrity. I mean...what do you suggest I do? I have looked, and I can't find anything that I'm happy with.
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

johnnyboyboy

Quote from: xSnorkleRainbow on January 25, 2015, 08:31:37 PM
I've started on my character and I was thinking I'd throw this idea out there to see if anyone wanted in. Basically, I was thinking my First Enchanter will be somewhat scatter brained,  clumsy,  forgetful, a little awkward and anxious despite her position and abilities/strengths. I was wondering if anyone wanted to play a Knight-Commander type, basically someone who will lead the Templars and share the duties of overlooking the makes with my character: someone to keep her in check, so to speak.

Does this sound like a good idea? Would anyone be interested in this at all? Just thought I'd throw it out there before I head off to bed :p

- Rainbow ♡

You still need this character because it sounds interesting :)
Just some quotes.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.”

"As time goes on, and our paths continue to unfold  though I do not know what will happen, whether we  continue together through life, all that I ask of you is that you remember me."
On/offs https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=205898.0

la dame en noir

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 27, 2015, 04:25:20 PM
Well, this isn't about me being stubborn or holding to some principle; I know from experience how difficult running a game for others can be; I've been doing it for the last six or seven years, both on forums and on tabletop, so I can empathise. Believe me, if I could find a celebrity who matched the appearance I want for Kas, I would use him. The problem is, I can't find any who are anywhere near what I want Kas to look like, and I'm uncomfortable limiting my creativity and my control over how my character looks for the sake of faceclaiming a celebrity. I mean...what do you suggest I do? I have looked, and I can't find anything that I'm happy with.

What sort of look are you going for?

If I can't find a celebrity...I usually go for models.
A&A | FxF |

Vergil Tanner

Well...see the picture I provided in my original bio. That's the look I'm going for, I just can't find anybody who looks like that. Kind of like a rugged, weathered, beaten down and battered look with hard eyes, grim features and probably a slightly discoloured right eye, with a couple of scars on his face. I want him to be athletically muscular rather than stocky, more of an agile build than a raw power one. Basically....grizzled, weathered, and actually looking like he spent the best part of his life roughing it up in the wilds before going on the run for a year and a half. So no ruggedly handsome, smooth skinned models or pretty boy looks...which makes it difficult to find a faceclaim to match.
It's difficult to describe without writing a paragraph of description. But if the picture is a problem, I can always just write a paragraph describing my character and put the picture I used under "Other." It depends on whether Primarch wants a picture, or just a "real" picture if a picture is used.

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Primarch

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 27, 2015, 04:25:20 PM

Find one image that's acceptable, take anything else you want and put it into the 'Other' section in some spoiler tags.

Vergil Tanner

See, this is the problem I'm having; I can't find an image that is acceptable to me. I edited my post above to pretty much say what I want him to look like...is it possible to write a paragraph describing him rather than using an image, and put the current image in the "Other" category?

Juggtacular

Vergil Tanner

See, I thought about all of those...the top two still look "pretty boy-esque," in that they don't look like they've been roughing it up. They look like they just stumbled into the woods yesterday. Similarly, they don't look like they've been in a lot of scraps...in short, they just don't look grizzled or weathered. The third one down is...a possibility, but his skin is too smooth and unbattered, and he has waaaaay too much facial hair for current-day-Kas. The bottom one...I just don't like his facial structure. It isn't quite right...for one, the jaw isn't quite as prominent as the one I have in my head. I appreciate the attempts to help, but when it comes to my characters, I tend to get a little picky...after all, this is the character I'm gonna be playing, so I need to be happy with the image in my head of what others think they look like. It makes it difficult to faceclaim when required, but it isn't something I can just turn off, unfortunately. I would if I could. :-/

la dame en noir

Will any of these 2 work? I can keep looking for you, Vergil.

there was one more I was looking for, but I can't remember his name to save my life.
A&A | FxF |

Juggtacular

Hahahaha la dame. I thought of Ragnar and Charles Vane too.

la dame en noir

@Vergil: Thats what words are for, you can always change someone's little details with your descriptions. The body type for my character is no where near the girls in my image....
A&A | FxF |

Vergil Tanner

Thanks for the suggestions, but...the one on the left is effectively the same as Juggs third one (is it the same guy? I can't tell from that angle) and the one on the right has the same problem that the first two suggestions Juggs gave has; he looks too much like a model and too little like somebody who has been living it rough for over a decade. Unblemished, smooth skin and rugged good looks doesn't quite give off the "Grizzled, living it rough" vibe. Plus, long hair on an assassin? Seems like an inconvenient snag risk. :P :P

And yeah, I know, but the problem is finding somebody close enough that I would be happy with it. I mean...if I'm going to change somebodies appearance drastically, why not just write a paragraph describing his appearance and leave it at that rather than confusing matters with a picture and conflicting words?

la dame en noir

But you did just that in your profile

*bangs head against desk*

I'll still help because I want to see everyone happy. But I also need to stay away from this thread until I get my character finished, my muse is very annoyed right now.
A&A | FxF |

Vergil Tanner

Exactly; I found a picture I was happy with which was very close to what I was imagining, but since the hood was partially obscuring the face, I decided to add in some extra details to fill in the blanks (EG, eye colour and hair colour). The problem I'm having now is that Primarch requires a "real" photo, and I can't find one that I'm happy with. I'm sorry for annoying your muse :-( I'm really not trying to be obstinate, guys, I'm just having some real difficulty in finding a picture I'm happy with. Is it possible to just write a paragraph describing my characters appearance if I can't find a picture, or do you require a picture, Primarch?

xPeachyPuff

I've edited my images accordingly. Is it how you want it, Primarch?

- Rainbow ♥

Primarch

Quote from: xSnorkleRainbow on January 27, 2015, 05:10:41 PM
I've edited my images accordingly. Is it how you want it, Primarch?

- Rainbow ♥

Perfect~

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 27, 2015, 05:06:01 PM
Exactly; I found a picture I was happy with which was very close to what I was imagining, but since the hood was partially obscuring the face, I decided to add in some extra details to fill in the blanks (EG, eye colour and hair colour). The problem I'm having now is that Primarch requires a "real" photo, and I can't find one that I'm happy with. I'm sorry for annoying your muse :-( I'm really not trying to be obstinate, guys, I'm just having some real difficulty in finding a picture I'm happy with. Is it possible to just write a paragraph describing my characters appearance if I can't find a picture, or do you require a picture, Primarch?

By your own description the image you have now doesn't even show your characters appearance sufficiently without you needing to explain further details to 'fill in the blanks.' So not only are having difficulty finding a single image you find satisfactory despite all the potential sources in the history of live action media the image you do provide doesn't actually fulfill its purpose. I've tried to be flexible by allowing people use alternate images in spoiler tags if they can provide my basic requirement of one image taken from the game or a setting appropriate image of a real/live action playby. I'm afraid I'm not interested in being accommodating to players who cannot or will not provide something so basic, especially after the other players have also tried helping you.   

Vergil Tanner

It isn't my fault that I can't find an image on google images without really knowing any actors off the top of my head that I think would fit the bill; I promise you, it wasn't a "will not," it was a "I simply can't find an image to my liking." It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but at this point in time me not finding it and it not existing are effectively the same thing. I do appreciate the help that players tried to give me, but I can't make myself like a picture, and for me the appearance is a big part of my character...and I am fairly picky about how I create my character. A fault, perhaps, but it's not something I can help.
However, the point is now moot; you are right in that my original image didn't quite fit the criteria, but it was the closest I could get (and even that after some fairly extensive searching). However, after having spent the last....hour and half (I think; I didn't note down the exact time I started) fiddling around with the character creation (and after having developed a new hatred of the lack of decent cheekbone settings in the blasted thing) I think I got a reasonable facsimile. Thank fuck that the PS4 has a screenshot mechanic (that I didn't actually know existed until today, but there you go), or I would have had to rely on my crappy camera...hopefully it and the picture I originally provided will suffice. Just gimme a second to crop the options out and upload it to Photobucket...

I do sincerely apologise for the kerfuffle, by the way. It wasn't my intention to make a fuss, and I promise that it wasn't me being obstinate for the sake of being obstinate. I'm just...fairly picky when it comes to faceclaiming, which I don't particularly like doing most of the time. It's just...one of my foibles, and I can't make myself like something that I don't like. Anywho. Will link the picture in a second, hopefully.

Juggtacular

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 27, 2015, 06:28:27 PM
It isn't my fault that I can't find an image on google images without really knowing any actors off the top of my head that I think would fit the bill; I promise you, it wasn't a "will not," it was a "I simply can't find an image to my liking." It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but at this point in time me not finding it and it not existing are effectively the same thing. I do appreciate the help that players tried to give me, but I can't make myself like a picture, and for me the appearance is a big part of my character...and I am fairly picky about how I create my character. A fault, perhaps, but it's not something I can help.
However, the point is now moot; you are right in that my original image didn't quite fit the criteria, but it was the closest I could get (and even that after some fairly extensive searching). However, after having spent the last....hour and half (I think; I didn't note down the exact time I started) fiddling around with the character creation (and after having developed a new hatred of the lack of decent cheekbone settings in the blasted thing) I think I got a reasonable facsimile. Thank fuck that the PS4 has a screenshot mechanic (that I didn't actually know existed until today, but there you go), or I would have had to rely on my crappy camera...hopefully it and the picture I originally provided will suffice. Just gimme a second to crop the options out and upload it to Photobucket...

I do sincerely apologise for the kerfuffle, by the way. It wasn't my intention to make a fuss, and I promise that it wasn't me being obstinate for the sake of being obstinate. I'm just...fairly picky when it comes to faceclaiming, which I don't particularly like doing most of the time. It's just...one of my foibles, and I can't make myself like something that I don't like. Anywho. Will link the picture in a second, hopefully.

Two things, Vergil. You should use imgur. It hosts pictures better and isn't prone to fuckups like photobucket.

Second...you said kerfuffle, lol.

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so. This is the closest I could get in the sometimes nightmarish character creation of DA:I. The little pixelly bit on the right-hand cheek is where I coloured over the aforementioned cheekbone that was jutting out at an angle that you could slice bread on. His features are a little more weathered, his jaw a little narrower, but it's a reasonable approximation of what I had in my head. The drawing is closer, but this picture will serve:

It looks....kinda like the first picture I used. Kinda. The following picture is closer to the complexion I want him to have, as well as the general face shape (more narrow at the bottom and gradually spreading out rather than the boxy shape of the Inquisition character creator) but they look close enough to be passable for different styles of the same face, right? I did the best I could.

Ugh, I'm never happy with how my characters end up looking from the Creator. I think that might be the closest I've ever managed to what was in my head. And now I'm self conscious...it's the first time I've ever shown my work to anybody else without six hours of second guessing myself. >.>

Also, side note: There is no "black" in the Inquisition hair colour pool. None. It goes from dark grey to blue for some reason. No black. Go figure.

Anyway, I hope the first image is acceptable/not horrific? :P
And I do sincerely apologise for the kerfuffle. I didn't intend to make such a fuss. :-/

@ Juggs: Eh, most of my stuff is on Photobucket now. It would be a pain to have two accounts. *shrug*
And lol, yeah, I like the word. It's a fun word.

Yeah, I hope my character creation pic is close enough to the second pic to be passable. I worked stupidly hard on it. >.>

Primarch

Juggtacular

I'm changing Kain's play-by. Decided that I like Idris Elba's Heimdall look better than I like Blade. Also it looks much more period appropriate.

xPeachyPuff

I use Tumblr to fine all my characters face claims lol. I don't really like picking well known people, so I tend to just type in characteristics and then browse through the images that pop up. Or I use the Model for characters thread on here, which is also really helpful. Plus the lady who runs it also does requests, so she could find you a load of images/face claims with what you ask for.

- Rainbow ♥

Vergil Tanner

I might look into that, haha. My problem is that I generally prefer typing up descriptions, so as I'm creating a character I'm forming an image in my head, and they very rarely match up well with many faceclaims...so as a rule, I don't usually use them. I can if I'm asked to, but it becomes a "Find An Appropriate Picture" hunt, and I can't even solve Where's Wally half the time.
>.>
<.<
>.>