Informal Ideas

Started by Nykteus, February 26, 2011, 07:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nykteus

I just wanted a thread to toss ideas into for feedback or just to give people something to use. After all, there's no fun giving people ideas and expecting them not to use them. It's not a request for roleplaying, just a way to give things a bit of a jumpstart.

Just to get things started, I did have an odd idea bumping around my head, presumably after some Gamma World and Fallout memories collided with The Once and Future King somewhere in the twisty maze of my synapses.

Everyone loves a good post-apocalyptic story, but how much fun would it be to set a version of the Arthurian Cycle, or any other good medieval legend, into that kind of grim, futuristic setting. Perhaps an after-the-bomb kind of feel, a new Dark Ages wherein small tribes fight to survive in a world filled with each other, cannibal raiders, and mutants of all varieties, such as giants and dragons.

It's not hard to imagine Excalibur being an energy weapon with a biometric activation key that only recognises descendants of its original creators, or Merlin being an android able to access the nanotechnology left behind by his builders, following his programming to protect society, which requires him to build a society to protect.

That kind of thing.

JKDragon

That would be so awesome... I'll play a Giantess then. Of the gentle sort, unlike most other giants she sees no reason to be violent towards the smaller humanoids and in fact was cast out of giant society for being a human-lover.

N2O

The Last Great War had taken more than just blood from the kingdom of Camelot. Along with the heavy stench of death, the war had turned the once prosperous country, blushing with glorious beauty, into a diseased cesspool of polluted wasteland. The land was not the only thing the war tainted with disease and ruin, the people were just as putrid as the land itself. Tribes that were once united under one great king now were divided and ruled by men so vile they could no longer be considered human but rather demons inhabiting flesh. Despite the disease, famine, and toxic pollution that plagued the land of Camelot, the people, as wretched and broken as they were, still managed to engage in petty, violent, and costly feuds. Where there was once the magnificent and strong Castle of Camelot, that housed the noble and honorable court, now stood a fortress-like factory, home to mutants and other such abominations. Most of the Castle's stones had been replaced with iron and machine, rotten and worm ridden was the mighty oak beams that had served as the wooden skeleton of the castle, and beyond the castle's towers were two equally as wide identical cylinders that served as vents for the factory. Smog clouds so thick they appeared like heavy blankets, constantly darkened the sky, further contributing to the air pollution and disease of the land. It made the abomination of architecture that was the factory-castle hybrid look as though it had two large horns that reached all the way up to the black grayness that once was the sky. The smog released from the factory stained everything in the land black and covered all in darkness.

These were unfortunate times indeed. People no longer stole for bread but for possessions much more savage and desperate. Arthur's body was never found after The Last Great War. Some of the old sighed words of legend in their dying breaths before leaving this world. They whispered "he rests under a hill with all his knights." Their king, ready to ride forth and save the country of Camelot once again.

GreenEyes

really interesting topic....I'd be a Hybrid mutations of a human with dragon wings coming from her back. Having been captured by the overlords in the early days of her life, she knows mostly of the wickedness and harsh life within the factory walls. when she grew older she was given a collar and allowed to venture out into the world...however she was only allowed out to capture more mutants for work and slavery...with her wings and dragon like strength, she's used to seek out and capture others like herself. As long as she complies she won't be punished.
Hey everyone,

I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from the rps until my busy schedule evens out. Sorry for any problems that makes.

N2O

@Nykteus,
Thank you for tossing your concept here, I know its not a request but I'd really enjoy fleshing this story out and just like Fallout, focus more on the environment, politics, and be excessive on the violence and gore

@JKDragon,
Your character sounds as endearing as she is adorable

@GreenEyes,
Very nice character! In her ventures out into the world, I wonder if your dragon-girl has developed a name for herself or accepted the PIN (product iD number) given to her by the factory?

GreenEyes

she's identified as 1313 when her collar is scanned but those around have given her the name Jade for the colour of her haunting, soul searching eyes.
Hey everyone,

I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from the rps until my busy schedule evens out. Sorry for any problems that makes.

N2O

Merlin frequented the site where he had set the sword in the stone.  As his eyes took upon its eroded black surface, Merlin remembered the first time he had laid eyes on the stone. It. Was. Breathtaking. As if destined, he had found the stone almost immediately after King Uther's death. Even now, he could feel his magic tingeing deep within the very fluids cursing through the wires of his cybernetic skeleton. He remembered how he had been overcome by a strong sense of urgency to prevent further conflict and arguments over who was to become the next king. The wizard had used his magic to set the sword in the stone and inscribe in gold the words "Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone is the rightwise born king of all England."

lore

Hello Nykteus,

I'm new, but if you'd chance writing with me, I'd love to write a Guinevere (A mild mannered researcher developing a cure for radiation poisoning or water purification, perhaps) or Morgan inspired character (a formidable gun-slinging wastelander sitting on an earth destroying cache of weaponry). I'm a huge fan of the fallout series, and really enjoy this idea.   

N2O

I just got hit in the face with this (its EPIC so I'm putting it in larger font, all CAPS, and bold):-

A CROSS OVER/MASHUP WITH ROBIN HOOD!

Prince John is the one of the major baddies who runs the factory and is slowly taking over the land, oppressing the people, committing atrocities, etc He has tried several times to free the sword in the stone but failed. Robin Hood aka Robert Pendragon is a descendant of Uther's lineage thus the rightful crowned king who comes to save the day! The knights of the round table are mechas (including Lancelot, Galahad, etc) that Robin's Merry Men get to pilot.

BRB I've gone to wipe my face

Maric

The red emergency lights aren't enough for him to see by, not with his eyes damaged by all Morgana's...Experiments.  He nearly fell off the ladder climbing into the Lancelot from his body's resistance to do as his mind told.  No sooner had he activated the onboard computers than Merlin's voice, growing more irritated and irritating with every word, filled the cockpit.  "Sir, I must advise against this course of action," he said.

"Yeah, yeah, I heard you the first time."  The onboard lighting was still adjusted to his personal settings from the last time he'd flown this thing.

"The Lancelot is only a prototype, it is not fit for combat against battle-ready units.  It isn't even equipped to interface with General Russell's Artificially Intelligent Lo-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know.  You think I don't know which mechs can interface with GRAIL?  I know.  But our fearless leader's not walking away from another fight with Mordred.  I don't have to beat him myself, I just have to help."  The nuclear accelerator was firing up now, he just hoped the shielding hadn't failed.  Since it would be such a shame to lose his youthful vitality.

"Sir, I'm showing a 23.7% chance that you will hinder King Pendragon if you attempt to engage Mordred, and only a 9.5% chance you will be able to aid.  The remainder is that you are unwilling to significantly affect the battle at all."

"Y'know what, Merlin?  I like those odds."  The thrusters on the Lancelot fired, and carried mech and driver out of the hangar and into the night sky.

GreenEyes

She sat at the large computer screens, her eyes scanning as flashes of lights went off every where. Someone had disturbed the site of the sword. "Geez now everyone gonna be there, getting all riled up", she shakes her head as she lean back in the seat.

Suddenly a whisle goes off at the screen to her left.Lights blinking to life to track a pattern of something over it's movements in the sky. "shit...the prince will not be happy with this" wheeling her chair over to the screen, hands flying over the keyboard as she tracks the moving objects. "now lets see what you are", she mutters as she pulls up an image from the coordinates.

"someones got a new toy" she grins at the screen as the image of a Mech comes on. heading towards the battle beginning near the Sacred Site.
Hey everyone,