A challenge for the crafty writer: let's jump into a story!

Started by Kismet, December 13, 2014, 11:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kismet

This challenge is now closed! Thank you so much to the wonderful writers of Elliquiy for giving me so many beautifully crafted posts! I'll be doing my best to respond to all of them. I can't wait to see where they all go!

I love writing stories in media res, and most of all, I like writing stories where we, as partners, do minimal— if any— plotting. So, I pose an experiment.

This experiment won’t be for everyone, of course. It’ll be for RPers who know how to set a scene, who are great at showing, not telling and can propose a story’s arc in one post.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it: I’d like for you to PM me a “starter post” for a potential RP. That’s it— no plotting, no proposing pairings, likely scenarios, etc— I’d just like a starter post, the first post that would be in an RP that we could do together.

I’ll PM you my own post in response, and then ask if you like how the RP could go, and what forum do you think it could belong to. If you’re satisfied with my response post, we can start a thread for our RP, and take it from there.

You must have a lot of questions as to how such a method of RPing could work, so I’ll answer them to the best of my ability:

Will there be no plotting done for the entirety of the game?

After our RP has progressed a few posts, we can definitely talk about the potential ways in which the RP can move! There’s no set number of posts that the thread should have before we can plot, of course— but I’ll suggest a recommended number of at least 15 posts. If either of us find ourselves stuck in the progression of the thread, we can talk plot, but the starter post should “set the stage” as it were, to keep us occupied for some time.

What if I spend all this time writing up a post for you, and you reject my post?

The only posts I’ll reject are ones with subpar grammar and a myriad of spelling mistakes, to the point where it would affect my enjoyment of the post. I also won’t take part in posts that have scat or watersports. Lastly, I’m not a fan of bimbofication, brainwashing, or mind control.

However, anything else is game. Maybe this is naive of me to say, but I can’t see myself rejecting a piece of writing that gives me room for a character of mine to jump in on.

There’s also a list of my favorite themes included in this thread, so you’ll know which genres/themes are most likely to pique my interest. I can’t see myself rejecting a post that has set up an interesting, dynamic scene that I could throw a character into.

Are you serious? Would you really respond to all posts?

I am dead serious. This is a perfect opportunity for you to sling a starter my way for a game that you’ve been looking for a partner with for a long time. Slinging plot PMs back and forth is what kills my enthusiasm for a game— if you’re the kind of person who doesn’t mind taking an idea, a set up, and running with it, I’m your girl.

What should my post include?

It should be a piece of writing that is in media res, in some way. Something needs to be happening, something that another character could feasibly interact with in my response post. I won't put a word count limit on it, but it has to be thoughtful. Please don't send me something that took ten minutes to write.

That’s it. It should be a fun writing exercise, if any!

Are there characters/pairings you won’t play?

No, I literally roleplay all pairings (M/M, M/F, F/F— and I RP with trans* chars as well) and I can roleplay a character of any gender, so that won’t be a problem.

I have a question, but you didn’t address it here…

Feel free to PM questions my way about this setup before sending me your starter post. (As long as it’s not a plotting PM, everything’s gravy).

Some of my favorite themes and settings can be found below. Again, even if there's a theme/idea that you don't see on there, there's a good chance I'll still be interested.

Themes
Cults
Dark Magick
Paganism
Wicca
Witches
Shifters
Vampires
Demons
Covens
Succubi/Incubi
Dark Rituals