News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

>.< Banking

Started by ManyMindsManyVoices, December 03, 2010, 01:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyMindsManyVoices

"So, here's kind of a weird thing to ask on a board like this, but in the end, this is a community of people I find more trustworthy than many places online, so I thought it would be worth it to ask. So, my bank decided to add a monthly fee, and I just don't have the means to avoid it. I'm not going to get into it, or I'll start a misanthropic rant about how I hate economy in general."

"So, the question I have is this: Does anyone have a good suggestion for a new bank or a good way to seek one online without dragging myself mindlessly through lists of things I don't really understand or care about? I live in Florida (something with branches in Tampa/Temple Terrace and maybe as far north as Spring Hill/Brookesville), and it would be helpful to have access to the bank for deposits and withdrawals (at least through ATMs) late at night, and I only keep a small amount in my account at a time (less than $500 at any given time). I find with these sorts of things, it's easier to ask for opinions of other people and their dealings or other experience with the service."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Oniya

The first thing I did when looking for a new bank (when we moved) was to see what ATMs were available in places that I commonly went.  Look around when you're out and about, and see what banks you happen across.  That should narrow your search considerably, and ensure that the banks you spend time looking into are actually convenient to you.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

If there are any left in Florida, I'd try to sign up with a local bank instead of a national one. I use two of the small regional ones here in Maine & the experience is light-years better than dealing with B of A (*spit*) when I lived in northern Virginia. Better service, no preposterous fees, convenient ATMs.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I planned on that, Oniya, definitely, and I know credit unions are supposed to be much better to deal with, so I will probably try to find one. The problem is, I live in the middle of no where, and I drive out about an hour to where most of my friends live when I go out, so it's hard to find a localized bank that has branches where I usually spend my time, but also close enough for me to make a quick trip to one if I have some kind of emergency or something."

"The one I've looked into has ATMs in Publix, would those have the same versatility as a bank ATM (allowing more than just withdrawals)?"

Oniya

Most ATMs that are not at a bank branch only allow withdrawals, transfers (maybe) and balance checks.  Not deposits.  However, if you set yourself up with Direct Deposit on your paycheck (I also know that programs like Workmans Comp allow direct deposit, should anyone in that situation be reading), then you don't have to trouble yourself about getting to the bank to drop off your check.  You'll want to see what networks your chosen bank is on, such as Pulse, Plus, etc., since that will determine which non-branch ATMs you can use.  Also, most bank cards function like Visas these days, which will save you transaction fees if there's no free ATM when you need to use one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I don't get a paycheck, hence the issue. May income comes from working with my family, helping at the house, so I just get a check from my dad, and sometimes my brother. Otherwise, I rarely withdraw cash, I use my card for just about everything."

Oniya

You might be able to get around it by finding a bank in the area of your parents/brother that has withdrawal ATMs in your area, and (assuming you trust them enough), letting them make those deposits directly with the account's deposit slips. 

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Not likely, but thanks for the idea."

Serephino

Look around and see what banks are near you.  Then pick one and try it.  That's about the best advice I can give.  I started out using the same bank my mom was, but our money kept disappearing.  Then we tried the most convenient one with lots of local branches, and ATM's everywhere.  They stole our money by doing all sorts of illegal shit.  We reported them and got them fined, and are on bank #3.  Hopefully we'll have better luck.

You would also probably be better off asking friends and family what bank they use, and if they're any good. 

Ket

Don't forget to look at the possibility of credit unions. Ofttimes they have less fees than banks, and actually give you a return (albeit it's rather teeny tiny at the moment) on monies in the accounts you have with them. Also, most credit unions have contracts with credit union service centers, which allow you to go to the service center or the ATM outside the service center to do your banking, all at no extra cost.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Was thinking credit union, I just want to avoid a bunch hassles and poor service. I did that with WaMu, then Chase took over, and 'It Got Worse' (imagine I linked to TVTropes here). Is anyone familiar with GrowFinancial?"