Trump

Started by Vekseid, February 01, 2017, 02:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: AmberStarfire on December 18, 2018, 02:57:48 PM
I have a question but bear in mind I'm not American. I just read an article about Trump and his planned border wall.

If they're talking about spending billions of dollars, why don't they spend it on healthcare for people who need it rather than spending it on a wall?

Believe me - lots of Americans don't understand why they're talking about spending billions of dollars on something we don't need instead of spending it where we do (even things like infrastructure or education would be really freaking nice!)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

Are they expecting the wall to save them billions of dollars?

That's a shame about the visa lottery (and perhaps I shouldn't be surprised). I remember reading a while back he was talking about getting rid of the visa waiver program (at least I thought) but as far as I know that's still in place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: AmberStarfire on December 18, 2018, 04:02:50 PM
Are they expecting the wall to save them billions of dollars?

That's a shame about the visa lottery (and perhaps I shouldn't be surprised). I remember reading a while back he was talking about getting rid of the visa waiver program (at least I thought) but as far as I know that's still in place.

I think part of that was he was trying to force Congress to do SOMETHING. Neither side has any skin in changing the status quo. The republicans talk a big game (for the most part, save for a few moderate types) but they know their most consistent base doesn't like immigration reform in anyway that allows ANYONE not like them (White, English Speaking..Christian, etc..) in. The Democrats have to make their groups be afraid that without THEM staving off the GOP every one of them in the immigrant community could be hauled off an deported.

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 18, 2018, 04:12:13 PM
I think part of that was he was trying to force Congress to do SOMETHING. Neither side has any skin in changing the status quo. The republicans talk a big game (for the most part, save for a few moderate types) but they know their most consistent base doesn't like immigration reform in anyway that allows ANYONE not like them (White, English Speaking..Christian, etc..) in. The Democrats have to make their groups be afraid that without THEM staving off the GOP every one of them in the immigrant community could be hauled off an deported.

I see (at least sort of).

RedPhoenix

Quote from: AmberStarfire on December 18, 2018, 02:57:48 PM
I have a question but bear in mind I'm not American. I just read an article about Trump and his planned border wall.

If they're talking about spending billions of dollars, why don't they spend it on healthcare for people who need it rather than spending it on a wall?

American politicians are brought and paid for by insurance lobbies.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: RedPhoenix on December 18, 2018, 04:21:11 PM
American politicians are brought and paid for by insurance lobbies.

yeah among others. Need to make it so 'special interests' can't donate at all. Period. End of story.

gaggedLouise

Trump gets a jab from - zoological taxonomy. :D An amphibian creature that spends its life crawling in mud and sand underground, that is particualrly willing to bury its head in the sand...and is especially vulnerable to climate change has been given a Latin name referencing Donald Trump.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46614138

Meanwhile, it is now clear that Trump signed a letter of intent in 2016 to build a Trump Tower hotel in Moscow, well after he has claimed he dropped out of the project. Rudy Giuliani claimed Sunday that the letter was never signed, but it turns out that it was.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/trump-signed-letter-of-intent-rudy-giuliani-moscow/index.html

Also, Giulaini commented the same weekend or thereabouts that the President had a right to lie in front of the American people to protect whatever he personally thought was important information. As long as he is not lying under oath, no problem, Giulaini said. Ties in nicely with the same Giuliani's statement that Trump would never properly testify for Mueller's investigation or anything supported on it - "it would be over my dead body".

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Tolvo

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1075246197940592640

It's also something to note that Trump's supporters such as on Fox News claim that Trump had no involvement at at all and didn't sign the letter. Despite, him signing the document. It turns out it is hard to get away with lying about something when you signed documents stating you specifically did those things.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Tolvo on December 19, 2018, 06:28:59 AM
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1075246197940592640

It's also something to note that Trump's supporters such as on Fox News claim that Trump had no involvement at at all and didn't sign the letter. Despite, him signing the document. It turns out it is hard to get away with lying about something when you signed documents stating you specifically did those things.

Unless those documents were forged by Clinton's henchmen! *sarcasm*

gaggedLouise

Leaked EU diplomatic cables relating to the Trump-Putin summit last summer, and to Xi Jinping comparing Trump to a bully engaging in no-rules freestyle boxing matches. :P

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/19/hacked-eu-cables-hailed-trump-meeting-as-success-for-putin

Callie Del Noire

The South Carolina GOP is looking to forgo primaries in favor of unilateral support of the President.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/12/19/politics/south-carolina-gop-202-presidential-primary-trump/index.html

Missy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 20, 2018, 08:45:19 AM
The South Carolina GOP is looking to forgo primaries in favor of unilateral support of the President.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/12/19/politics/south-carolina-gop-202-presidential-primary-trump/index.html

"well hey, it's what we did with Nixon and that turned out wonderfully!"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Missy on December 20, 2018, 11:22:25 AM
"well hey, it's what we did with Nixon and that turned out wonderfully!"

I honestly don’t see anyone wanting to get in a shit slinging fight with him on the party level and no one but Hilary on the other side seems interested either and really wish she’d NOT run

Missy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 20, 2018, 11:26:09 AM
I honestly don’t see anyone wanting to get in a shit slinging fight with him on the party level and no one but Hilary on the other side seems interested either and really wish she’d NOT run

You mean because of his sycophant base?

You really can't feel sorry for them, the New Right did it to themselves.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Missy on December 20, 2018, 11:53:56 AM
You mean because of his sycophant base?

You really can't feel sorry for them, the New Right did it to themselves.

As a moderate republican I can feel sorry.. of course I blame a lot of folks over this.

Missy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 20, 2018, 11:57:37 AM
As a moderate republican I can feel sorry.. of course I blame a lot of folks over this.

And I respect that, we need more McCain Republicans, both in terms of politicians and constituents. I honestly think there are a lot more among constituent republicans than there are more like McCain than there are McConnel or Ryan constituents. It's just the real active core of the New Right is made of up the fundamentalist and pro-life sorties which Republican leadership pander too. I think plenty of Republicans could care less of you're queer, who you fuck or if you dress funny, just there's an old guard of Republicans in congress who hold the party back from being properly representative of modern America. That's my angle on it anyway.

Tolvo

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/19/senate-approves-spending-bill-avoid-government-shutdown-trump-wall

It looks like Trump is going through with his government shut down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46640114

And the defense secretary is going to resign in February since his views do not align with Trump's.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Tolvo on December 20, 2018, 05:47:21 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/19/senate-approves-spending-bill-avoid-government-shutdown-trump-wall

It looks like Trump is going through with his government shut down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46640114

And the defense secretary is going to resign in February since his views do not align with Trump's.

Best choice of timing by Trump on those two, ever. Partial Government Shutdown over Christmas and New Year? YAY!!  :P

(Yes, I know it's Mattis who decided to walk away, but there's little doubt that Trump's stubborn resistance to him was the real motive, and Syria perhaps the trigger)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 20, 2018, 05:57:28 PM
Best choice of timing by Trump on those two, ever. Partial Government Shutdown over Christmas and New Year? YAY!!  :P

(Yes, I know it's Mattis who decided to walk away, but there's little doubt that Trump's stubborn resistance to him was the real motive, and Syria perhaps the trigger)

The only thing that would make it better is if Mattis’ comments before he put the letter on the table leaked.  The General won’t tell tales.

Sara Nilsson

so the wall..

QuoteTrump once pledged his barrier on the southern border would absolutely not be a fence, but rather a "big beautiful wall."
It's worth noting a change in his language that occurred this week when the President said it would still be beautiful, but is now set to be "artistically designed steel slats, so you can easily see through it...."
Back in 2015, during the Republican primary, Trump was clear when he shot back at Jeb Bush, who was then running for president, that it would be a wall:
"Jeb Bush just talked about my border proposal to build a 'fence.' It's not a fence, Jeb, it's a WALL, and there's a BIG difference!"

So.. not only isn't Mexico paying for it, (no trump your trade deal which btw isn't official isn't paying for it) and it is now downgraded to a fence. Oh and it isn't getting funded at all. So.. good job on that.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on December 20, 2018, 08:19:30 PM
so the wall..

So.. not only isn't Mexico paying for it, (no trump your trade deal which btw isn't official isn't paying for it) and it is now downgraded to a fence. Oh and it isn't getting funded at all. So.. good job on that.

Exactly.

Trump promises/threatens with a "very long" government shutdown if the Senate doesn't bend over and immediately fund his sainted wall. If it kicks off at midnight eastern time, the shutdown might well last some way into the new year.  :-X

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46637638

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 21, 2018, 11:48:25 AM
Exactly.

Trump promises/threatens with a "very long" government shutdown if the Senate doesn't bend over and immediately fund his sainted wall. If it kicks off at midnight eastern time, the shutdown might well last some way into the new year.  :-X

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46637638

As much as I hate to say this..given the last one cost me a job inTaiwan.. the Senate Majority leader needs to tell the president to blow him.. though let’s be honest..Mitch McConnel is not going to do a damn thing

TheGlyphstone

Is it simply my bias showing, or are shutdowns a weapon used by the GOP more often than they are the Democrats?

gaggedLouise

Whatever little part of the Wall gets put up should be inscribed: "My name is Ozymandias, King of America. / Look at my works ye mighty and despair".

Fits the bill in an arid near-desert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozymandias

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 21, 2018, 12:13:03 PM
Whatever little part of the Wall gets put up should be inscribed: "My name is Ozymandias, King of America. / Look at my works ye mighty and despair".

Fits the bill in an arid near-desert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozymandias

Trump would not get the reference, or the irony, and would consider it a testament to his biglyness.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17