What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Pokemon: Soul Silver.

Ughhh.

I got it and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for my vacation, but I lost the stylus for my DS so I can't really play Castlevania. Besides, I got stuck.

On that note ... I have mixed feelings about most Japanese games. Very often I find they're just too childish. I'll never understand why they need 12-year-old girls as protagnoists in games that otherwise would've been so much more appealing. Never mind that, though - I guess it appeals to enough people. What I really don't understand is why they have to be either incredibly difficult, or far too easy. Very rarely encounter that in western games.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on July 17, 2010, 10:56:51 AM
Pokemon: Soul Silver.

Ughhh.

I got it and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for my vacation, but I lost the stylus for my DS so I can't really play Castlevania. Besides, I got stuck.

On that note ... I have mixed feelings about most Japanese games. Very often I find they're just too childish. I'll never understand why they need 12-year-old girls as protagnoists in games that otherwise would've been so much more appealing. Never mind that, though - I guess it appeals to enough people. What I really don't understand is why they have to be either incredibly difficult, or far too easy. Very rarely encounter that in western games.
They have them because A.) While a lot of adults play pokemon their intended audience is the 9 to 14 crowd. B.) Girls play it too.

I don't like Japanese games much anymore because they don't try to break from the formula until it is much, much to late.

I'm going to start another Dragon Age game. Hopefully this one won't be human, and I'm going to try and not do any romances.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kazyth

I'm back to playing CoH/CoV again.  I had some free time, and I rather missed it.  After beta-ing Champions, I realized that for now I like the customization and such of CoX way more.  Hopefully Going Rogue will help to revitalize the brand.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Nyarly

Quote from: Inkidu on July 17, 2010, 11:05:40 AM
I'm going to start another Dragon Age game. Hopefully this one won't be human, and I'm going to try and not do any romances.

..."Hopefully"? Considering ,that you can choose the race of your charater... Well, I'm confused.

LadySheikah

Harvest Moon....I need to get a life and fast.
llRequest & Parings O& Osll A&AsCurrent Storiesll

ღ My Group RPs ღ

ღRP Stats ღ

CLOSED! ONLY DOING GROUP RPs! (Sun, Sept 05, 2010)

Kazyth

Which Harvest Moon?  I love all the games, but the Rune Factory series is my favorite of them.

LadySheikah

The one for Wii **Goes look** Animal Parade
llRequest & Parings O& Osll A&AsCurrent Storiesll

ღ My Group RPs ღ

ღRP Stats ღ

CLOSED! ONLY DOING GROUP RPs! (Sun, Sept 05, 2010)

PureImagination

Wii Fit Plus. Gotta lose weight before my 3yr anniversary cruise in February!

Kazyth

Ahhh.  Haven't played that one yet.  Need to get a Wii first... and even then, Rune Factory 3 would have to be picked up first!

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on July 17, 2010, 11:05:40 AM
They have them because A.) While a lot of adults play pokemon their intended audience is the 9 to 14 crowd. B.) Girls play it too.

I don't like Japanese games much anymore because they don't try to break from the formula until it is much, much to late.

I'm not talking about Pokemon - it's in all their games. Each and every one of them!

Speaking of Dragon Age, am I the only one who's really disappointed with what's been announced about DA2 so far? Sounds like a watered-down action RPG with combos and all. I don't think they understand that what appeals to people - at least a whole lot of them - about DA, is the fact it's the first epic fantasy RPG in god knows how long.

Oniya

Actually, the little Oni is very interested in RPGs as well.  She's actually writing her own, and something like 2/3 of the characters are female.  (We'll have to start worrying when we finish doing storyline and she wants to see it on the console.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on July 17, 2010, 02:33:04 PM
..."Hopefully"? Considering ,that you can choose the race of your charater... Well, I'm confused.
I've never finished a Dragon Age game unless I was human. Male of female. Oh God, I'm a fantasy racist! (I think I can live with that.)

Hemingway: That's just Japan. I get sick of it too; it's just a cultural thing. In regards to DA two what I think they're doing is differentiating between the game for PC and the game for consoles. Instead of just dumbming down the difficulty factor and lowering the camera angle for the console version they're making it a little more immediate. Hawke will do a dash to a nearby target instead of just jogging in range and it's supposed to be more dynamic. Which having played DA for the console I can say I would like rather than just a hokey PC version adapted. If you want straight-up strategy go PC.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Acid Lips

I am waiting on the Star Craft 2 game to arrive here. Also I am playing Bioshock 2 for xbox 360 and Alan Wake (will soon start anyways). I used to play wow too

Inkidu

Ooh I want to play Alan Wake now, but damn if Nightmare difficulty isn't well Nightmarish. Seriously don't try some of the trickier achievements on it you'll get slaughtered.

Hunter

Dungeon Seige.  And maybe this time I'll actually get more than a couple hours into it.

Acid Lips

Quote from: Inkidu on July 17, 2010, 06:27:11 PM
Ooh I want to play Alan Wake now, but damn if Nightmare difficulty isn't well Nightmarish. Seriously don't try some of the trickier achievements on it you'll get slaughtered.

Thank for the suggestion, will not play nightmare mode hehe

avorae

Quote from: Hunter on July 17, 2010, 06:41:36 PM
Dungeon Seige.  And maybe this time I'll actually get more than a couple hours into it.

I never got more than a few hours into it myself. Need to get around to playing it again.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Braioch

Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9.

Really I've beaten 7 like 20 times, and have never got more than an hour into 8 or 9 for various reasons. Though to be even more honest, I'm now (once again ::)) hooked on playing 7 again and am neglecting the other two. Was playing Dragon Age, actually trying to beat it as the last battle and the Archdemon battle kicked my ass hardcore the first time and then I kept restarting to try to make a better character and team.

...I need new games xD
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on July 17, 2010, 05:03:31 PM
Hemingway: That's just Japan. I get sick of it too; it's just a cultural thing. In regards to DA two what I think they're doing is differentiating between the game for PC and the game for consoles. Instead of just dumbming down the difficulty factor and lowering the camera angle for the console version they're making it a little more immediate. Hawke will do a dash to a nearby target instead of just jogging in range and it's supposed to be more dynamic. Which having played DA for the console I can say I would like rather than just a hokey PC version adapted. If you want straight-up strategy go PC.

Dragon Age is on the PC too, you know!

I just don't understand why they'd change the game completely. By the sound of things so far, DA2 will be DA in name ( and setting ) only. I mean, obviously I don't know the details, but I have a feeling this will be to Dragon Age what those console action RPGs are to Baldur's Gate. What they describe on their website;

QuoteThink like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.

Sounds a lot like a Fable-esque game.

Ughhh. I'll take my angry ranting elsewhere. I'll probably end up getting the game anyway, because I'm total slave for BioWare. ME2BESTGAMEEVER.

Edit: For the sake of clarity, Mass Effect with a Dragon Age setting won't necessarily be a bad thing. Except that literary hitman David Gaider is part of the process. I just hope that, with the promise of no ultimate evil and epic storyline, they won't make it awkward, contrived and boring.

Of course, could work both ways.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on July 18, 2010, 06:11:12 AM
Dragon Age is on the PC too, you know!

I just don't understand why they'd change the game completely. By the sound of things so far, DA2 will be DA in name ( and setting ) only. I mean, obviously I don't know the details, but I have a feeling this will be to Dragon Age what those console action RPGs are to Baldur's Gate. What they describe on their website;

Sounds a lot like a Fable-esque game.

Ughhh. I'll take my angry ranting elsewhere. I'll probably end up getting the game anyway, because I'm total slave for BioWare. ME2BESTGAMEEVER.

Edit: For the sake of clarity, Mass Effect with a Dragon Age setting won't necessarily be a bad thing. Except that literary hitman David Gaider is part of the process. I just hope that, with the promise of no ultimate evil and epic storyline, they won't make it awkward, contrived and boring.

Of course, could work both ways.
I typically don't get my games for the PC if I can avoid it. PC is becoming an increasingly unfavorable platform to anyone but the hardest of core.

Wolfy

Do do do..still playing through The Forgotten Sands and Darksiders...don't really care if I finish them or not..I really just got them to give me something to do until this weekend...I'll probably pick up an RPG like Tales of Vesperia or Lost Odyssey to hold me over the weekend, then it's BlazBlue time! o3o Then a week after that, Monster Rancher! :D

On a side note, I'll soon have my FFXIV pre-order payed off. :D yay for me!

Brandon

Well keep in mind that final fantasy changed its formula throughout every game. Some of them were good, others were bad but they often took the good points and tried to impliment them into later games. I think bioware might be doing something similar. Im all for experimenting as long as they learn from the good and bad points
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

asmodai510

Ragnarok Online, finished ME:2, always playing FF7, Pokemon (any iteration), FF Tactics(PSP) since I can just pick them up, whoop ass for a couple hours and then go off and do something else.

Oniya

Still grinding the hell out of Dark Cloud 2.  I've finally moved on to the 'Star Gate' levels, and nearly have a couple of the uber-weapons.  I made a promise to the little Oni that I'd save the boss fights for when she gets home - yeah, that's a good enough excuse for running around on the lower levels trying to decimate the time-trials.  O:)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Well..FFXIV is the new MMO, Brandon. o-o

If you were talking to me...

Also, say what you will about The Forgotten Sands..but the Water freezing power mechanic is pretty damn awesome. o3o *Freezes a stream of water, swings on it, jumps off, unfreezes water, then freezes water after passing through a wall of it, grabbing onto another stream, then jumps onto and climbs up said wall of water.*

..That is just awesome. o3o I'd love to see more games include this. lol