What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on July 24, 2010, 11:15:56 AM
I think, I would enjoy it too. But I don't for a reason. And for that matter, I would like to know who thought that the time limit was a good idea. Because that's the reason, I can't enjoy it.
I really want to know what is it with gamers and time limits! For the most part we hate them. It's like throw a clock in there and it bombs.

You had three days! Three flipping days that translated into about three hours real time. You could almost double it by playing the Inverted Song of Time to slow time down to almost six hours of real time. It's called time management. Something everyone has to deal with in life but not in games.

Dead Rising was another good one that showed time limit off (don't get me wrong I think a sandbox mode would have been awesome) but you're not going to have an infinite seventy-two hours.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Nyarly

So because I have to deal with it in life, it's alright to deal with it in a game? That's total nonsense.

I prefer to have as much time in a game as I need. Does that make me a bad gamer?

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on July 24, 2010, 11:30:08 AM
So because I have to deal with it in life, it's alright to deal with it in a game? That's total nonsense.

I prefer to have as much time in a game as I need. Does that make me a bad gamer?
Probably when compared to people who can work with time limits. Time limits are a part of a lot of games, just no one likes seeing it large scale. You have five minutes before this blows up ten minutes to solve this. When it translates to game hours people balk. Anyone can figure out a puzzle or beat a game given an infinite amount of time and you have that in Majora's mask you just have to keep doing it three days at a time.

It adds an appropriate amount of challenge. Now I'm not advocating speed runs or anything but when time is a factor in a game people just seem to blanch.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Regarding time-limits - I've been enjoying the optional time-limit challenges in Dark Cloud 2.  There's something about sprinting through the level, trying to do one-shot = one-kill on everything.

Another game I liked that had sort of a time limit was Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, where you had a certain amount of 'time' once you activated your dragon heritage.  This could be managed by how much or little you used your dragon abilities - the more you accessed them, the faster you burned through that 'time'.  Walking around burned it very slowly, but tangibly.  It gave the game a certain urgency, even though you could still go through certain aspects (like the 'ant farm' and optional dungeon) with impunity.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on July 24, 2010, 11:55:38 AM
Regarding time-limits - I've been enjoying the optional time-limit challenges in Dark Cloud 2.  There's something about sprinting through the level, trying to do one-shot = one-kill on everything.

Another game I liked that had sort of a time limit was Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, where you had a certain amount of 'time' once you activated your dragon heritage.  This could be managed by how much or little you used your dragon abilities - the more you accessed them, the faster you burned through that 'time'.  Walking around burned it very slowly, but tangibly.  It gave the game a certain urgency, even though you could still go through certain aspects (like the 'ant farm' and optional dungeon) with impunity.
I think time limits in RPGs are a little iffy at best but I can see the challenge it presents. It would be better if they gave you a reward instead of you losing something though (i.e. Excalibur II in Final Fantasy IX). Though that depends largely on the structure of the game.

Drannie

Hello there ladies and gentlemen,

I do play Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain at Ps3 with Age of Conan at PC. :>

Katrina

WoW....

It use to be FFXI, but they made it so hard if you didn't have a credit or debit card thanks to the gil sellers.  I like WoW's ease of payment with the cards you can buy.  My highest level is only 22 but I'm having fun.

Kaiser Maverick

Final Fantasy XIII. Lightning really disturbs me at points.

Inkidu

Quote from: Kaiser Maverick on July 25, 2010, 02:53:14 PM
Final Fantasy XIII. Lightning really disturbs me at points.
Doesn't she though! Her and Hope are a bushel of disturbing...

Wolfy

Playing Limbo..can't get past that damn fly...o-o

Kaiser Maverick

Quote from: Inkidu on July 25, 2010, 03:51:31 PM
Doesn't she though! Her and Hope are a bushel of disturbing...
Very but Hope's a good synergist so I can't complain

Oniya

Swearing at a certain level's 'medal challenge'.  I can actually kill everything with just a sword - if only the tanks would stop damaging themselves with their own bombs!  >:(
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

roket pencil

Steam ID : Roket_pencil

Kenshin

I am playing icewind dale 2, a highly underrated game in my opinion.

Inkidu

Still playing Empire at War. Oh you want to blow up my Death Star! Three star destroyers drop out of hyperspace right on top of Red Squadron!  >:)

Wolfy

Sometime Tommorow I'll start playing BlazBlue...then a week later I'll trade it in out of Frustration. o-o Lol

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on July 26, 2010, 03:03:44 PM
Sometime Tommorow I'll start playing BlazBlue...then a week later I'll trade it in out of Frustration. o-o Lol
What is BlazBlue. You've talked about it for weeks but I have no idea what it is?

Nyarly

It's a fighting game with some weird characters. Also, it's the spiritual successor of the Guilty Gear series. Litchi Faye-Ling (aka "Boobie Lady"), the woman in my avatar, is one of the fighters.

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on July 26, 2010, 03:41:54 PM
It's a fighting game with some weird characters. Also, it's the spiritual successor of the Guilty Gear series. Litchi Faye-Ling (aka "Boobie Lady"), the woman in my avatar, is one of the fighters.
Ah, okay...

Wolfy

Continuum shift is BlazBlue 1.5. o3o They add in new characters and modes, and finish the story from the first game...while keeping everything else essentially the same.

Ya know..the basic fighting game release formula.

Nyarly

Quote from: Wolfy on July 26, 2010, 04:22:26 PM
Continuum shift is BlazBlue 1.5. o3o They add in new characters and modes, and finish the story from the first game...while keeping everything else essentially the same.

Ya know..the basic fighting game release formula.
As usual.

I'm not sure whether I should buy the Special Edition or the normal one in October. I already bought the SE of Calamity Trigger after all. Well, I guess, I see about that, when I know what's included in it.

Wolfy

Here in the states, we don't get a collectors edition. T_T...Only the standard...though, it's forty dollars, so that's not too bad. o3o

Drake Valentine

As much as I tried to refrain from RPGs these days as the turn base system was getting old...

I find Record of Agarest War a very addicting strategy, RPG game. My only vice is story seems to drag a bit like Cross Edge did, then picks up, then drags, drags, drags; that and the hero seems to always wield a sword in the cut-scenes despite the other weapon he may possess ;\ *Thinks developers got lazy.* Though the following generations and kids you can have from them depending on which life you pick in former generations makes it neato game, along with all the other elements included from monster catching/breeding, weapon crafting, and stat building if you wish to whore all the party level points into one character or spread them out, I usually make one overpowered character/concentrate on the hero since the stats of him and his wife go down to the next generation hero. 

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Wolfy

I hope you bought the collectors edition and held it up proudly and paraded around the store with it, Drake. :P

Anyway..after BlazBlue Tommorow, I'll be getting Monster Rancher DS...then after that, I really don't have anything to look forward to till Halo Reach and FFXIV in september...well, that, and my new computer...I'll be playing WoW on that..and I'll finally also be able to play Team Fortress 2 on it. :D

Ravensahnk