What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Playing Star Wars: Empire at War. Fear me for I spam tie maulers! Twenty tie maulers plus base plus self-destruct equals no more base.  >:)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Gah... I hate RPG's. I hate them so much.

Just found my copy of Resonance of Fate. Picking up where I left off, and I remember why I put it away. It's like they purposefully made the dialogue and story unbearable to compensate for the inventive and awesome gameplay. I've never seen anything more schizophrenic, long winded and pointless. Characters go from child like innocence and pranking each other and generally being buds, to growly, mopey Emo's. and then back again. I'm up to level 4, and so far, all the cutscenes have either been unimportant and seem to exist only for a side character to babble annoyingly, or make absolute zero sense and I can't even tell if they are past, present or future.

Fuck this game, and fuck this any other RPG that doesn't have Goblin's and wenches. 

Wolfy

D'aww...poor Sabby. *makes it all better*

:P Incidently, when I go to return my 3 games, I'll probably pick up an RPG to play for the weekend until Blazblue comes out. I'm trying to decide between Tales of Vesperia or Lost Odyssey...hmm...

Sabby

Lost Odyssey was at least balanced. Gameplay was good, story was good. In my limited but still aggravating experience, one of those two suffers if the other works. RoF has great gameplay that breaks many JRPG stereotypes, which is exactly what I want to see, yet the story and characters are terrible, as if to preserve balance.

And I am so sick of hearing the lame excuse "You just don't get it"

Wolfy

Well, then again..I could get something completely different..Like Brutal Legend or something...*shrugs* I dunno..I need a game to play for the weekend to get me through until BlazBlue, ya know?

It has to be at least $34.99 or Below from Gamestop..o3o

Inkidu

Brutal Legend is a weird one but it's more like an RTS in the end than anything.

Sabby: Those are the kind of reasons I give up on JRPGs. Even if the gameplay is innovative I usually find it implemented so craptastically that I it's unplayable. JRPGs were built on stereotypes it seems.

Playing: Dragon Age Origins trying to be an elf, trying so hard. I really haven't got anything I want until Dead Rising 2 hits the shelves in Sept-freaking-tember! I was so hyped to get it for my birthday in August too. Maybe I can get New Vegas too...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Nyarly

Quote from: Inkidu on July 19, 2010, 11:31:47 AM
Brutal Legend is a weird one but it's more like an RTS in the end than anything.
That's what bugs me about Brütal Legend. I would be interested in it very much, if it weren't a strategy game.

A game where you play a metalhead hero, that practically screams "action game". And then they make a RTS out of it...

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on July 19, 2010, 04:32:48 PM
That's what bugs me about Brütal Legend. I would be interested in it very much, if it weren't a strategy game.

A game where you play a metalhead hero, that practically screams "action game". And then they make a RTS out of it...
Totally did not see it coming myself.

Jude

Go with Vesperia Wolfy, it's incredible.  L.O. isn't bad, but certain elements (such as the introduction of not one irritating young child stereotype but two) weigh it down.

Nyarly

Quote from: Inkidu on July 19, 2010, 04:40:40 PM
Totally did not see it coming myself.
It would bug me less when I would actually like RTS or at least being able to play them (as in, not totally suck in RTS). But still it's weird...

I've read of it the first time in a magazine and there stood that it would be an adventure game. But I think they thought of Full Throttle and were expecting something like that.

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on July 19, 2010, 04:46:46 PM
It would bug me less when I would actually like RTS or at least being able to play them (as in, not totally suck in RTS). But still it's weird...

I've read of it the first time in a magazine and there stood that it would be an adventure game. But I think they thought of Full Throttle and were expecting something like that.
Well it's kind of a combo Eddie is your hero unit and you can go around smashing up stuff and playing your songs. If you're in real trouble you can Drop a Deuce. I thought it was fun.

Hemingway

Brutal Legend probably isn't nearly as much fun if you're not into metal. As for being an RTS, well, the stage battles were odd, but I wouldn't consider it an RTS for that reason. Stage battles weren't even half the game.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on July 19, 2010, 05:20:47 PM
Brutal Legend probably isn't nearly as much fun if you're not into metal. As for being an RTS, well, the stage battles were odd, but I wouldn't consider it an RTS for that reason. Stage battles weren't even half the game.
Well yeah there were explorations bits and side missions but as the main driving force to the narrative you had to play it like an RTS even though it started of action/adventurey. It's a definite must for metal heads. It's appeal outside of that is minimal.

Sabby

The games writing was fantastic. Everything was a clever little metaphor. Glam Rock being humans subservient to the evil guys, thus selling out? Gee, that sounds pretty familiar xD

mannik

Currently I'm playing Alan Wake......and it is AWESOME!....granted, for a cenematic style game the animations are a bit lacking, but the story is just so enveloping I don't even give a shit anymore.

Lirliel

EU3 with Magna Mundi

Holy balls this game is hard..
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Acid Lips

I just got Bayoneta, so far a girl kicking ass appeals to me a lot ^^

Nyarly

Quote from: Inkidu on July 19, 2010, 05:22:47 PM
Well yeah there were explorations bits and side missions but as the main driving force to the narrative you had to play it like an RTS even though it started of action/adventurey. It's a definite must for metal heads. It's appeal outside of that is minimal.
Yeah, I think I will get it some time. The whole metal stuff just makes it too appealing.

KatieSparks

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2! I can't turn off the fountains in the Los Angeles level for the life of me.. you have to grind all the way over to that... place. I mean, come on.

I can only hit "restart" so many times without going insane.

Leo

Quote from: KatieSparks on July 20, 2010, 01:05:03 AM
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2! I can't turn off the fountains in the Los Angeles level for the life of me.. you have to grind all the way over to that... place. I mean, come on.

I can only hit "restart" so many times without going insane.

Reminds me of Resident Evil 5 on hardest difficulty setting...
I'm not new. I just... lurk...

Oniya

That's it!  We need a Pro Skater/zombie game!   :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Wellt, I've officially finished Darksiders...now all three games are done and ready to go back tommorow..or thursday, if I'm feeling lazy. o3o

Took me 4 days to finish 3 games. O-o I'm a speedy little demon, me thinks.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on July 20, 2010, 11:12:50 AM
That's it!  We need a Pro Skater/zombie game!   :D
Well the closest we got is Frank West in Dead Rising on a skateboard fun but not as fun as an inventory full of bowling balls.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Wolfy on July 19, 2010, 09:29:02 AM
D'aww...poor Sabby. *makes it all better*

:P Incidently, when I go to return my 3 games, I'll probably pick up an RPG to play for the weekend until Blazblue comes out. I'm trying to decide between Tales of Vesperia or Lost Odyssey...hmm...

I'm late to the party here, but honestly either choice is spot on and it really only boils down to which combat style/tone you prefer. Lost Odyssey favours a more traditional system (although it does turn it on it's head a touch, but not as much as they did with Blue Dragon) while Vesparia obviously uses the "Tales of..." action system.
Both have solid stories and good characters with Vesparia probably having the better lead character but Lost Odyssey certainly having the more moving writing in the form of it's memory fragments.

Sabby

Quote from: Wolfy on July 20, 2010, 12:17:34 PMO-o I'm a speedy little demon, me thinks.

*snickers* Yep... you sure are...