What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Fable 2.

Have a quick and agile Will user, in a Rangers Cloak, black, but likes to go shirtless in towns. Only uses his sword to get some breathing room, the skinny lil twink <3 He's a raging homo too. He's had 5 husbands, and when he got bored with them, took them all to the Temple of Shadows to be sacrificed.

Even had the horns to kill the Pie Merchant in Bowerstone in broad daylight, and then buy the store right there. If any female prostitutes approach him, he brings lightning to his hands, and gives them to the count of 10 to GTFO. No lady meats for this wizard.

Also, he has an eyepatch. I just pretend he got it from a lover with a little too much energy and not much of an aim ;)

Starting a good character now. Thinking of going for a saintly mountain of muscle with axe and blunderbuss.

Inkidu

Black & White 2: Because old Petey manages to make great games that always fail on some spectacular fashion to meet players' expectations but still manages to be fun.

Impressive city baby factory with hundred man armies. Hard and fun to play.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Drivestort

I finally caught Mass Effect 2 on a sale, so I'm gonna be playing some of that during the next few days while I wait for engineer spam on TF2 to die down.

Mudaline

Metro 2033

Because I like risking heart-attacks with scary games.     ::)

Wolfy

Quote from: Mudaline on July 09, 2010, 08:20:32 PM
Metro 2033

Because I like risking heart-attacks with scary games.     ::)

ooh..it can't be THAAAT scary....o3o..though is it good? I may pick it up...

Sabby

Metro 2033 is equal parts masterpiece and blunder.

The guy who wrote the novel obviously had the best intentions for the game adaption but likely didn't understand gaming so well. For everything the game does right, theres a blaring issue that holds it back from greatness. Though, it does do a lot very well!

For instance, the immersion is great, what with the almost HUD-less screen and the interactions between your watch, charger, mask and unique guns (like compressed-air spike launchers that require manual pumping) but then there's unforgivably antiquated stealth segments, and gunning through them will actually hurt your ending in the long run, yet you're never told that there's multiple endings or a karma system at any point :/

So, yes, get it, but be prepared to forgive it it's flaws first.

Heaven Sent Blossom

It's quite simple really.
If you've played STALKER then you've basically played Metro.
If you haven't played STALKER then you're a bad person and should rectify that as well as going out and grabbing Metro to play once you complete STALKER.

Nyarly

I've played Stalker, but found it disappointing. Wasn't scary at all, too. Does that make me a bad person?

Oniya

Nah - means that it isn't your type of game, and that you probably shouldn't waste your money on Metro. ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mudaline

Quote from: Sabby on July 09, 2010, 11:30:25 PM
Metro 2033 is equal parts masterpiece and blunder.

The guy who wrote the novel obviously had the best intentions for the game adaption but likely didn't understand gaming so well. For everything the game does right, theres a blaring issue that holds it back from greatness. Though, it does do a lot very well!

For instance, the immersion is great, what with the almost HUD-less screen and the interactions between your watch, charger, mask and unique guns (like compressed-air spike launchers that require manual pumping) but then there's unforgivably antiquated stealth segments, and gunning through them will actually hurt your ending in the long run, yet you're never told that there's multiple endings or a karma system at any point :/

So, yes, get it, but be prepared to forgive it it's flaws first.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head, here...  It creeps you out, because you're constantly manually charging your flashlight, just to see the monsters that are trying to claw your eyes out.   

On the other hand, if you have half a brain and converse ammo, then you're probably gonna go John Rambo by the end of the game, and all of the difficult parts, like the Librarians, suddenly become easily-to-kill enemies with a few scenes of OHSHIT! between pumping them full of mil-grade bullets...   >_____>

But the first half of the game is amazingly scary, because you're trying to scavenge ammo outside, and you're running out of air, plus when monsters hit you, they can crack your gas mask, and even break it. 

Although I personally got kinda peeved at the way Nazi soldiers can carrying two gasmasks, yet Artyom never has the brains to strap second to his hip, in case a nosalis cracks his first one while he WTFKNIFEZ! it in the face...   >________>

As a scary game, it does it's job, but as a fun game, it kinda dies halfway through. (for me, at least)

Buy it while it's on sale on Steam or something, if your computer can handle it.  Otherwise it's not worth paying full price for it...  :-\

PS:  I just borrowed Stalker:  Clear Sky from my buddy Ethan.  While I haven't played any of them before, I'm gonna start on it after I finish Alan Wake  (Which has a weapon scheme that I won't even begin to RAAAAAGE about right now, because this post is long enough.)

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Nyarly on July 10, 2010, 07:36:45 AM
I've played Stalker, but found it disappointing. Wasn't scary at all, too. Does that make me a bad person?

Probably;-p
To be fair STALKER was a broken mess when it first dropped, much like all the Eastern European games (Hey Witcher, looking at you) tend to be. So obviously it wasn't going to be for everybody.
Personally I never expected it to be scary, just atmospheric, which is something that it totally delivered on. I assume Metro will be very similar to that, however I haven't been able to play much of it yet since my rig can't handle it and I'll be damned if I'm buying something like that on the 360.

And on topic I got rid of the decidedly mediocre Red Dead and replaced it with the astounding Sin & Punishment 2. Oh and I also picked up Demon's Souls because apparently I'm in a very masochistic mood right now.

Inkidu

Replaying the Witcher, and loving it. Finally going to beat it this time. Yeah the dialogue can be a bit, a-whuh? sometimes but the alchemy, combat, and dice poker more than make up for it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Teehee...Playing Snoopy Flying Ace. Fun little flying game...

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on July 03, 2010, 05:17:12 PM
Currently Playing:
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Completely different game.  I'm only like 10 hours into it, but it is SO much better than the first!
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth - I'm now like level 64.  Still grinding.
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection - This is next and it has been a long time since I played a fighter.  There are actually unlockables, which should give it some legs.
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - I'm in Chapter 9.  Still sticking to the same formula of plot, level, plot, level, etc...

So, I just stopped playing Street Fighter Anniversary Collection.

Hyper Street Fighter II is just too damn hard on even the easiest setting.  I beat it once as Ryu and that is how far I could get.  Street Fighter III is easy until the final boss.  Gill is the cheapest boss in history.  His 'resurrection' is so damn unfair along with his attacks and everything about him.  I know he is a fighting game end boss, so he is designed to be broken, but it was taken too far.  I beat him as Ryu and I got tired of him, so I'm done.  The game was bought for multi-player purposes anyway...

Currently Playing:
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Finally stopped leveling, which is nice...
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth - Yep, still leveling.
Grandia II - I beat the first one on the PS1 many years ago, so I am really looking forward to this.
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - Just started Chapter 10.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Sabby

I adore Grandia 2 <3

It's the only JRPG I know of with good gameplay and a good plot, at the same time. I've played some JRPG's with good battle systems (Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Resonance of Fate) but the plot always seems to be the missing puzzle piece :/

An RPG with an anime design, a battle system like Final Fantasy meets Dragon Age, and a typical but good quality story of demons and heroes without the bloated, barely comprehensible emotional trash that passes for a story in most other cases?

It's why Grandia 2 is the only JRPG I cannot complain about ^^

Oniya

*makes notes to hit the used game bins*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Go Amazon or Ebay. It's hard to find at stores.

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: Oniya on July 11, 2010, 09:14:11 PM
*makes notes to hit the used game bins*

I bought mine for like...13 bucks, but that was close to 3 years ago.  (Yes, I have a problem.  I buy too many games and it takes me forever to beat them.)

I'm only an hour into it, but the battle system reminds me of the first one.  It's a bit more...darker, but it plays pretty much like the first one.  I loved the first one, so I am very glad for that!  It's been a while since I played a pretty traditional JRPG...
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Sabby

I never played the first, so I dunno how they compare, but G2 uses a slider with 2 stages. Waiting, and attacking. Each character has a blip on that slider that will travel at a different speed depending on their stats. Building a Mage character right, they could hit the Attack point, the game would freeze, you choose a spell, and then depending on how good he is with casting, his blip would either crawl or fly across the rest of the slider. Hitting the end commences the attack and brings the blip to the start again. Being hit causes the blip to move backwards. Being pushed from Attack and back into Wait will cancel their attack.

So it's possible to back a power enemy into a corner and keep them too busy to attack, pummeling them into submission.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Man, I love Grandia 2 as much as the next guy (that's a lie, I probably love it more than the next guy since I've owned it on every platform it's been available for) but it's plot is pretty average, and in places it borders on being painful. They have a robot that cannot understand love, frankly if she hadn't been so useful in combat I'd have contemplated tracking down however signed off on her character design and gouged out their eyes.

On that note I think I'm going to go on a Grandia binge and see if I can't power through all three games in the next month--in between playing Blacklight and CoD 4 of course.
Oh and I got Dragon Quest 9, because I never learn my lesson.

Nyarly

Grandia 2 was pretty... meh. The battles are so easy, that not even the actually good system is much fun. And the plot was pretty much "heard 100 times, got 95 times fed up with it ". Really, the battle system in itself is the only good thing it has.

I have the theory, that Grandia mostly appeals to people, who don't like JRPGs normally. Like Tetris mostly appeals to people, who normally don't play video games.

Wolfy

Man...my only Grandia game has been...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/528-Grandia-III

Grandia III.

There's the Unskippable Video for it..Funny stuff. o3o

Heaven Sent Blossom

Grandia III--man, my only theory on why they actually made Grandia III is because they wanted to make the characters from the first two games more likeable and the best way to do that was to release a game with some of the worst characters.
That or everybody involved had brain damage, that's also an option.

DKPeter

I've been playing The Lord of the Rings Online since a few months after it was released and I'm still playing it. I log on nearly everyday and I'm having a blast with the game. 

Introduction
Character O/OsStory O/OsKinks O/Os
Systems • My Stories • My Characters

Host of Seraphim

Primal. I had it on hold since around April because school was kicking my ass and I had just started an underwater level. I hate underwater levels.

I just picked it up again the other day. Scree the gargoyle is so cute.

This is the best shot I could find of his gargoyle-y cuteness.

Plus, I finally beat the underwater level.  ;D
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::