A Long Night Out: A Dresdenverse Character Proposal (Closed)

Started by Sephora, July 18, 2014, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sephora

Lol, that is very fair.   I haven't exactly filled in all this information.  ^_^; 

With Elyse Swan (hehe, Swan's Swan) being a true believer, she doesn't really have a gift.  Theoretically, true believers can go their entire lives being completely clueless to the fact that their belief makes them safer than their unbelieving mortal counterparts.   

I think if you are looking for plot worthy gift stuff, you might be better off with a character with a minor talent.

Minor talent's vary, so what would you like her gift to be?

Swan

Quote from: Sephora on July 21, 2014, 08:10:36 PM
Lol, that is very fair.   I haven't exactly filled in all this information.  ^_^; 

With Elyse Swan (hehe, Swan's Swan) being a true believer, she doesn't really have a gift.  Theoretically, true believers can go their entire lives being completely clueless to the fact that their belief makes them safer than their unbelieving mortal counterparts.   

I think if you are looking for plot worthy gift stuff, you might be better off with a character with a minor talent.

Minor talent's vary, so what would you like her gift to be?

Oh, that's alright, I figured I would learn as I go ^.^ (Sensei!)

What I meant by gift, I didn't mean anything magical (as stated in the sheet), just that she is able to "see what's on the other side" so to speak. She really doesn't have any "gifts" in the world you speak of. She's.. pretty plain. lol! In other words, I thought it was already minor.
Can you see what might needs to be changed on her character sheet?

Sephora

Well the main thing that needs changing is the name.  I can't think of any plotty reason to have her true name be something that she wouldn't be conscious of.     

What I think you are referring to is the Sight...and I don't think you really want that.  You can't unsee or forget what you've seen from the sight, and full blooded wizards prefer not to use it. 

A true believer's abilities are a bit less blatant.  Your faith protects a home from the supernatural, making it harder for a supernatural force to invade.  You can release yourself to a higher power, and let your belief guide you to where you most need to be.  Last but not least is holy touch, which is where your physical touch is painful to things that are allergic to...pure hearted things. 

Something more similar to what you were probably thinking of is a minor talent like Cassandra's tears.  That would allow your character to have glimpses of the future (Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get people to believe you; hence Cassandra). 

Swan

Alright, I will get rid of the name.

I'll keep the "protection" as it makes sense for this game. And I'll accept the Cassandra's Tears, however I won't write anything without consulting you first.

Will that be better?

Sephora

Sorry, no duel templates.  If you are a true believer, then you don't get to have Cassandra's tears.  If you have Cassandra's tears, you don't get the protection that comes with being a believer. 

And if anyone takes that minor talent, it would mostly be used whenever I needed everybody to get on a certain track. 

AndyZ

I actually figured that Celeste Christine Engel was a ghost that was possessing her or something similar.

Swan, Cassandra's Tears is more of a psychic talent.  The kind of stuff like psychometry (where you can feel the emotions left on an object), seeing ghosts and the like.  That may very well be more of what you're hoping to get instead of a True Believer.

Granted, if someone professed to have Cassandra's Tears and had a vision, Charity likely wouldn't believe them.  However, she'd still just happen to end up down that particular path anyway.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Swan

*Scratches head, a little confused.* Ok, so instead of two, True Believers actually get one ability? Is that correct?

So, what would Elyse actually be then if not a true believer?

Sephora

These are a true believers abilities:
A true believer's abilities are a bit less blatant.  Your faith protects a home from the supernatural, making it harder for a supernatural force to invade.  You can release yourself to a higher power, and let your belief guide you to where you most need to be.  Last but not least is holy touch, which is where your physical touch is painful to things that are allergic to...pure hearted things

And Elyse can totally be a true believer, I just offered a suggestion of something a little different just in case. 

Swan

Scratch off Cassandra's Tears.  Check.

Ok! Then I am satisfied with those terms, now that I understand.  ^-^ Thanks for the clarifications! Just one more question... Is she only able to use 2 of those said abilities or all of the below?

Quote from: Sephora on July 21, 2014, 09:03:22 PM
These are a true believers abilities:
A true believer's abilities are a bit less blatant.  Your faith protects a home from the supernatural, making it harder for a supernatural force to invade.  You can release yourself to a higher power, and let your belief guide you to where you most need to be.  Last but not least is holy touch, which is where your physical touch is painful to things that are allergic to...pure hearted things

Sephora

Considering that she's our little engine that could in a character list filled with tanks?

Take all three. 

Swan

Ah hahahaha! I can feel the power!!  *... and nothing happens.*   ::)

Seriously though, I can work with that.  XD

AndyZ

I'd be tempted to suggest something like Laying of Hands or something to that effect, but not sure how well it'd work in the Dresdenverse.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Swan

lol, I don't know what that is either! But I've edited the character sheet.  O:)

Sephora

Fantastic!  Now just edit your bio a bit, and you are good to go! 

Swan

I'm gonna have to scrap the whole thing and start from scratch. I'll have to do that tomorrow after work.

Crash

Contemplating writing up an old character idea for a Changeling (Elder Gruff) with these images...

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Sephora

I welcome you back with open arms, and approve. 

Contemplate harder! 

Crash

He would make a good bartender/bouncer for the Last Call.  Be all protective of little Amelia.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Sephora

Well, it's Neutral Accord location, so the level of bouncing it needs is debatable.

But yeah, I still love the idea of a protective bartender.  ^_^  How long do you think he'd have been working at Windhaven's? 

Crash

Long enough for the patrons to be comfortable with him.  Maybe a year?  He would have dropped out of college and been kind of adrift.

I picture one of his flaws with be Brotherly Love.  His Elder Gruff brothers try to put him in situations were he is forced to use his abilities to "toughen him up" and get him to choose his fae nature over his human one.  I am thinking of having him have a big freakin' sword that is glamored so that people just ignore that it is there.

Sephora

Alright, then he would be familiar with Amelia (obviously) and the two definite regulars.  Charity and Jacob. 

Make up a character sheet and then we can discuss character relationships a bit more.  Maybe he started working at the Windhaven after Amelia helped him out of a crunch.  His brother's forced him into a really bad situation and Amelia found him bleeding out by the garbage bins.  She patched him up, and now he works at the Last Call.  Sound plausible? 

Crash

Yeah.  That works.   I picture him having dropped out of college to keep innocent bystanders from being eaten by vicious fey beasties his brothers keep sending him and he has drifted ever since.  He is a gentle despite his size and contemplative. He gives down to earth advice and is a good listener and makes a hell of a drink.

He has a younger human brother as well that is constantly getting in trouble and his mom struggles with being a single mom with a rebellious son.  He was supposed to be the golden child with a scholarship to play football and now he is a drop out.  So family issues all around for the big guy.

Working on a character sheet, but may not have it done tonight.

AndyZ

How would he feel about someone smiling at the mention of the name Gruff and saying that she loved that story as a kid?  I imagine that coming up in the first encounter with Charity, though she'd have had a full year to make it up to him if he got offended.

Crash

Wouldn't be offended actually.  Gruffs have a code of honor and are proud of who they are.  Jonas isn't ashamed of his heritage, just isn't happy with his new family pushing his choice.  He does share their code of honor though.

AndyZ

Hmmm...

Let's say that there was a Skavis vamp that had been causing problems at a local gym.  This guy hadn't actually been truly damaging people, but had been making that area look bad by periodically showing up and cleaning the clock of most of the locals in boxing matches.  More and more people had been giving up, and the place was close to going out of business.

If, a few months after he came in (so 8 or 9 months ago from present game time), Charity explained all this and asked Jonas to box with the guy, would he do so?  Not kill the guy (he hasn't earned that) but make him leave and not come back as a result of a thorough trashing that made him look as pathetic as he'd made any mortal who accepted his challenges.