Hogwarts Rebuilt (Almost ready to start)

Started by kckolbe, September 18, 2012, 09:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

So, I've spoken to a few people and gotten some positive feedback, and decided it is time to try this.  I want to run a Hogwarts game using a homebrew system of my own creation.  I want duels, Quidditch games, broom races...all that stuff.  I want students in multiple Houses competing against each other for the House Cup.  I have playtested this system once already, and made a couple of small changes.  I feel it is good to go. 

Harry Potter and friends will have graduated many years ago, meaning that the cast will be OCs.  In addition to the competitions I mentioned above, there will be a couple of other plot elements that I intend to insert, and some classroom scenes as well, but I plan on allowing a lot of freedom. 

I first attempted this game back in June, but just didn't have enough players to get the multiple House dynamic I wanted.  This time, I won't start unless I have quite a bit more interest.

The rules can be found at the link below.  I have walked many people through them, and welcome players that are new to system games as well as veteran players.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=151387.0

Please let me know if you have any questions.

UPDATE:  We are wrapping up character creation, but may still be willing to take on more if they can be done up rather quickly.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Matthew

Ooh... I've been craving a potter/hogwarts-ish RP for quite some time now... I'll have to wait until I'm a little more awake tomorrow to think on a character/if I have any questions, but I'm very much interested.

TheHangedOne

Color me interested.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Your math is good, but you left out Magical Projection.  This is definitely an interesting character, especially as a student.  He/she is gonna be one jaded little bastard. 

Revised

Agility 3  Fly 1B
Animal Handling 2
Athletics 3
Awareness 4  Empathy 1B
Cunning 3  Logic 1B
Deception 4  Bluff 1B
Endurance 3  Stamina 1B
Fighting 3
Knowledge 3
Magical Expertise 2
Magical Projection 2
Magical Studies 2
Marksmanship 2
Persuasion 3 Intimidate 1B
Reflexes 3
Status 2
Stealth 2
Will 4  Dedication 1B, Discipline 1B

Qualities:  Keen Senses, Treacherous
Disadvantages: None

By the way, was unsure where you got the damage portion from.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Whoops. I did miss that. Thank you for catching that; also, glad to hear i haven't gotten rusty, with how long it's been since I've played a system game.

And the damage portion came from here:
Quote from: kckolbe on September 07, 2012, 01:54:15 AM
Derived Stats
Intrigue Defense=Cunning + Status
Used as your defense in Social Combat.

Composure= 3x Will
Basically your health in Social Combat, when reduced to 0, you loose the social combat.

Combat Defense=Agility + Athletics
How difficult you are to be hit in combat.

Health= 3x Endurance.
Your HP for combat, once you are reduced to 0, you loose the combat.

Passive Resistance=Endurancex4 + Fortitude OR Willx4 + Discipline, depending on whether the spell is physical or mental

Damage= Equal to Athletics-1 for armed, Athletics-2 for unarmed.  Large, two-handed weapons do Athletics+1

Movement= 4yards + (Run/2)

Sprint= Movement x4
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Oh, okay.  You were just listing out damage for various weapons/lack thereof.  All in all, it's a fairly easy system. 

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Yup. I included that bit just as a quick reference for myself. And it definitely is. It's a light, intuitive system. That's the best kind, imo. 
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Thank you, I am really proud of it.  I modified it from Green Ronin's Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying Game. 

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Hmm, sounds like a system I'm going to have to look up.

I'm going to continue to edit my previous post, and flesh out a full fledged character, since I know the math is sound now.
Check out my poet tree!

TheHangedOne

I added in the fluffy bits! Let me know what you think. Also, I am fully planning to see if I can drum up some interest for this game. :-)
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

It would be great to see some more interest, as I feel this game would work much better as a larger game.  I'll PM you later to discuss a couple of things on your character, just so some of the details/possible plot devices can be secret.

The only thing I will say public is that 17 may be too young for 6th year as I will likely adjust the age range to allow people to player lower year students and still be site legal.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

That makes sense. I believe another HP rp on  here has done the same. It makes sense. I am looking forward to that PM. And when you finalize years and classes and stuff, I will make the appropriate changes and additions.
Check out my poet tree!

Rel Mayer

Just letting you know that I'm still interested! I need to start building my character though!

Photo

samesies!

I am so interested in this Kckolbe, and I am blown away by the gusto that you have.

As interest builds, don't you dare forget about me. I've been thinking about my character for weeks now. HP universe is a tough one to build a character that hasn't already been done in one form or another. I always aim for original, even if it's dull. :)
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

BetaBonk

Being just about done with re-reading that series for the, um, many-th time, I would be very interested.

Providing, of course, that you're willing to take a complete noob into the school (not a noob to roleplaying, but certainly to Elliquiy's brand of it).

kckolbe

Wonderful, glad to hear you are both still on board.  Also, thanks Photo.  At the moment, this puts us at enough to run a game focusing on a single House, so we are a little over halfway toward the minimum number of players I need.  While folks come in, I'd like to discuss an idea I've been thinking of.

I generally dislike allowing players to play multiple characters.  I can not completely explain why.  Some of it is that the more characters there are, the less room there is for new players.  Also, I think it takes a bit away from the spirit of competition that I want in this game.  However, having more characters gives me the ability to portray Hogwarts as the rich setting I see it as, with multiple factions and things going on.  At any rate, the compromise I am thinking of is that players may play as many characters as they want, but every character after the first starts with less points for character creation.  This way, you can have a character in Gryffindor and Slytherin, but your loyalty will be less divided.  Also, every main character, even one not built as cleverly, will still be better than some PCs.  The second bit I am not worried about as much, as I think the competitions will have multiple categories.  Also, in addition to the school competitions, there are always little things going on between the students as well as hidden areas to discover (the Room of Requirement, Chamber of Secrets, etc) and there will be suspicious goings-on.

I tried to make the system so that characters focused on being good at any one thing suffer on the rest.  While I am not so good at plot sometimes, I do really well with numbers, and can promise some very challenging, yet possible, encounters.

In short, I want this to be everything that the Harry Potter books was with the exception of Harry Potter.  While there were wonderful stories, Harry *was* kinda a Gary Stu, and with him gone I think you will all get to see just how interesting Hogwarts can be.  I am getting giddy again.

And BetaBonk, newbs of all kinds are welcome here.

Intro Thread

Lumasan

I am indeed still interested, but am most likely going to need help constructing a character. The system makes my head spin
My Ons and Offs/My Current Cravings 1x1's

"The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Learn, Is Just to Love, And Be Loved In Return" -Eden Abhez "Wild Boys"

TheHangedOne

I think that would work out pretty good. It also makes sense that, even amongst the main movers and shakers of the story, some will be stronger than others.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Glad to have you around, Lumasan.  I would be happy to help with a character.  Oh, one thing I should have mentioned earlier is that when creating your character, please list two or three Houses you would be okay with your character being in, or no preference.  I don't want to get caught in a situation where we have 5 people wanting one House and 1 wanting another.  If you want to be in the same House as another character, feel free to mention that. 

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Alright, so after some thinking and talking, I am re-tooling my character. Here is the new stats and such.
Crunch/numbers

Agility: 3 Fly 1B
Animal handling: 2
Athletics: 3
Awareness: 3 Empathy 1B
Cunning: 3 Logic: 1B
Deception: 3 Bluff: 1B
Endurance: 3 Stamina 1B
Fighting: 3
Knowledge: 3
Magical Expertise: 4
Magical Projection: 3
Magical Studies: 3
Marksmanship: 2
Persuasion: 3 Intimidate 1B
Reflexes: 3
Stealth: 2
Will: 4 Discipline 1B, Dedication: 1B

Qualities:  Keen Senses, Treacherous, Sinister
Disadvantages: Threatening

Intrigue Defense: 5
Composure: 12
Combat Defense: 6
Health: 9
Passive Resistance: 12/17
Damage: 2/1/4
Movement: 4 yards
Sprint: 16 yards
Fluff/background info

Name: Gustav Raubriter
Sexuality: Heterosexual male

Height: 5'10
Weight: 200 lbs
Build: Wiry
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blond

House: Ravenclaw
Year: 6th
Classes:

OWL results:
Charms: A
Transfiguration: A
Herbology: A
*Dark Arts*: O
Ancient Runes: A
Potions:A
Care of Magical Creatures: A
History of Magic: E
Astronomy: A
Divination: A
Arithmancy: E

Wand: Light seven inch Yew wand with Dragon Heartstring core

Personality: Stoic in the face of everything, many are the ones who have accused Gustav of lacking any sort of emotional understanding. In truth, he is a man of passion and many feelings; he just refuses to allow them to influence his thoughts and actions.

He can be quite single-minded, and when his mind is set, and he is determined, their is little that can stop him besides physical force or a certain Unforgivable Curse.

very perceptive, and keen to cut through bullshit to the core of an issue. He does not beat around the bush when it comes to things, and his usually aggressive, or at least curt, mannerisms have done little to earn him friends.

He supposedly has a strict personal code of conduct that he adheres to at all times, but, he has never taken the time to inform anyone just what this code is (if it even exists at all).

History: originally born in Germany, he spent several years at Durmstrang. However, his parents had to move away from the country due to political reasons (in the Wizarding world), and they moved to Wales. Because he had not yet graduated Durmstrang, he was able to apply to and be accepted into Hogwarts.

The wand he uses has been in his family for quite some generations, and is considered something of an heirloom. It is a very powerful device, but the Raubriter family has always produced exceptionally strong-willed individuals that are capable of using it properly.

Because Durmstrang actively teaches the Dark Arts, and because he had been attending it until this very school year, it should be noted that Gustav is skilled in their use. However, he has met with the current head master/mistress of Hogwarts, and has shown that he is well aware that such magic is forbidden. He has stated, quite definitively, his willingness to abide by all rules and regulations of the school, and of the new nation he finds himself in.

He has a fur-lined cloak and blood red robe from his old school.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Looks fairly well-rounded.  Sinister is a good quality for him.  By the way, I would appreciate if char sheets were done the way I posted in the revised spoiler above.  They take up less room and are easier for me to read. 

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Quote from: kckolbe on September 19, 2012, 01:23:05 PM
Looks fairly well-rounded.  Sinister is a good quality for him.  By the way, I would appreciate if char sheets were done the way I posted in the revised spoiler above.  They take up less room and are easier for me to read.
Thanks. Yeah, after re-reading through it all, I feel all those Qualities are good for him. He is supposed to be a fairly scary fellow.

Also, I edited it, so that it fits with what you'd like.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

CalypsoNymph

Ho, well, this looks interesting... but I have... erm... quite a few questions first.  ^^;

Gain +1B die for a roll; this die can exceed the normal limits on bonus dice.  This line confuses me.  Not about how it works... that much is pretty clear... but at the mention of a limit on bonus dice.  I'm assuming the limit is equivelent to the stat?

I'm assuming that the 'bad things' are Hindrances.  Do the ones without a 'good side' give anything back?  For example, why would somebody get Addiction?  Ignoring taking it because of RP reasons, which is cool, but I mean mechanically?

What are 'rays'?

What do those two numbers with each and every spell mean?  And those letters... I'm assuming those mean the type of spells, but I don't know what they all stand for.

Social combat... I'm assuming that PC's can use these on each other, right?  I'm fine if that's the case, but what's the result, then, if, say, somebody Seduceses my character?  Who... let's say, already has a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Disposition Rating:  Think of this as Armor Rating for Social Combat.  This allows to to reduce how much influence is levied against you.  The more friendly you are to the target, the easier it is to influence you.  So... if I understand this correctly... then the friendlier you are, the easier it is for somebody to influence you?  Even if they're a jerk to you?

Example:  Animagus requires Magical Expertise 3, 2B Transfiguration.  One could also qualify with Magical Expertise 4, 1B Transfiguration or with Magical Expertise 5.  Is this line out of place?  It was in the 'combined casting' post.

Will we be able to improve abilities/specialities through pay, through means other then Destiny Points?

The kind of character I would be interested in creating would be weak in pretty much all kinds of combat, but good at spells.  Will there be a place for that kind of character?  And, yes, I am aware that doing so will result in losing a lot of battles, if she gets into them, but I want to know if there would be an advantage to it.  Such as, say, knowing about Ancient Runes.

There's Magical Expertise, and Magical Protection... one is for ability, the other is for power.  How does that work out?  I don't see notice for either of them anywhere else.

I'm into transformations (mental and physical), gender bending (preferably male to female), mind control, forced impulses, love, wants/desires, etc. etc. etc., and being the sub... though I am learning to be a cruel Dom.  ;D  If you're interested in any of this, either PM me or take a look through my ons and offs or my cravings, and then PM me!  ;D

kckolbe

First off, thanks for the interest, and now to your questions.

1) Normally you may have no more bonus dice than test dice.  I forgot to type that in.
2) Any drawback gives you an extra destiny point.
3) Rays are spells cast at a distance.  When "attacking" someone with a spell, you must either make contact with the wand using fighting, or cast from a distance using rays.
4) The first number by the spell is the book it was first referenced/used in, 1-7.  The second number is the Magical Expertise roll necessary to cast said spell.  The letters are the spell types.  Charms, Conjuration, Curses, and Transmutation.
5) Yes.  Bear in mind that you could skip the seduction and go straight to an Imperio Curse.  The most important thing to bear in mind is that you can't be seduced by someone you don't want to talk to.  With any "social combat," both parties involved need to have some reason to continue the conversation.  If one person wants to seduce, but the other has no reason other than small talk, a seduction will not happen.
6) Yes, the nicer you are trying to be, the more open you leave yourself.  Bear in mind that if the other person is being a jerk, he takes a penalty to his rolls.
7) That post was just for random additional rules I thought of after typing everything out.
8) I will award experience points through gameplay.
9) If your character has a strong ability at magic, he won't be that weak.  Also, Ancient Runes would fall under Magical Studies rather than spells.  Granted, specializing in obscure class subjects means that you will not get to show off as often, but it also means that there will be less competition for being the best at your thing.  I promise that EVERY ability in this system will be important at least twice.
10) Expertise determines whether or not you can cast a spell, but projection determines how strong it is.

All great questions, and I hope I helped.

Intro Thread

BetaBonk

First question: Are we all 6th years, then?

Second, I suppose I should get approval for the character type I'm thinking of, as I don't know what the social/sexual atmosphere will be... I'm aiming for a bi male, slightly effeminate perhaps, a "twink" in the vernacular; submissive but also seductive.  If that doesn't fit, I might go for a female character, if that would be better.

And just to see if I've figured this out at all, a preliminary attempt at the stats...

preliminary character
Agility 3
Animal Handling 4 - - Charm 1B, Ride 1B
Athletics 2
Awareness 3 - - Empathy 1B
Cunning 3
Deception 2
Endurance 2
Fighting 2
Knowledge 2
Magical Expertise 4 - - Charms 1B
Magical Projection 2