What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 06, 2012, 03:46:40 PM
I've been killing them all. I'll probably do another playthrough at some point where I try not to screw up everything.

I'm now also worried that the torture scene somehow affects the ending, like I'm supposed to resist torture without being prompted or something. Just the type of crap a game like this would pull. Well, not that it's a bad game, it's just ... they don't really explain a lot of things.

Also, that was ... special. R1 when The Boss is talking to you, and there's the ghost behind her - the Sorrow, I assume - holding up a sign and grinning like mad. I had the frequency already, though!
That's just in case. I don't think there's a way to screw up the torture scene.

Also, I got X-Com running at tolerable levels (I can actually see the aliens shoot at me instead of them shooting and disappearing like lightning). So now I can actually focus on playing the game. Now I kind of don't want too though. It was like getting it to run was the challenge. I had to use a program that made my processor process white noise and another that actually slowed my computer's processor down. The former is at 60% filler and the latter is at 1% of my computer's speeds.

I'd feel proud of my computer if X-Com wasn't the gaming equivalent of sparring against a 12 year old white belt as a 20 year old black belt. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Escaping from the prison cell, I've realized just what an uneven game Snake Eater is. I mean, I noticed this in Sons of Liberty, too, and it's been too long since I played MGS that I can't remember what that was like, but ... why can I shrug off thousands of bullets? I was caught, and since there's no simple way of loading a checkpoint, I usually just let them kill me. But that can take a while. This time, I went AFK ( at less than 50% health ), went to the kitchen to get myself a spoon, and when I came back they were still shooting at me.

And the only reason I got caught in the first place was the sneaking attack where you slam the enemy into the ground doesn't work properly half the time. I wouldn't have so much trouble with it, if the game didn't go out of its way to punish you for killing people.

This is more of a personal choice, but there's also the same problem that you find in most games where there's a non-lethal option. Alpha Protocol, Splinter Cell, Deus Ex ... I want to go non-lethal. Most of the time I want to, anyway. And when I do, I do so consistently. No whipping out a gun just because it's convenient to kill someone. But it's really problematic, because these games give you all kinds of cool weapons, but only like ... two non-lethals. You want to kill people? Take your pick: high-tech lasers, machine guns, SMGs, handguns of every caliber, claymores, swords, you name it. You don't want to kill people? Take this dart gun. It's all you'll ever use.

Inkidu

Okay so X-Com is fantastic. I wouldn't call it greatest game ever made, but it's in the top ten easy. The micromanaging is still tedious, the controls are crap, but I don't care! I just had to reload after a particularly nasty bit of bad business. I only reload if I'm going to lose the whole squad or if it's nighttime when I wanted to go in in daylight, one or two guys. Nope that's "acceptable losses".

Two squads of three with the remainder in the dropship in case the aliens are at the door. We find the crashed UFO pretty fast. We hunker around the wall for twenty turns or so before one of them actually shows up. We trade fire and I take down one of the little gray bastards (We're still using Earth-tech weapons, no armor... it's a killing field sometimes). The rest mill around their corner trying to pick us off. I have my teams hold up to over-watch. I have one guy prime a grenade and prep to throw next turn. He's hunkered down behind a stone wall crouching. The odds are about one and twenty hill get wounded more for an outright kill even for no armor.

Nope, little gray fucker picks him off he drops the grenade and there goes the whole team. Abort, reload. Yeah. I'm playing on beginner but who. Those guys got reach. God help you if you're out at night. God help your soul.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Welcome to my world. Remember to use flares if you're fighting at night, and smoke otherwise!

Now.

Mother of god. Snake Eater was ... amazing. I mean, the gameplay ranges from workable to clunky, but goddamn. Goddamn. That story. The characters. I mean, I got pissed at the game for having about ten false endings, but .. damn! I don't know what to say. I am blown away. I might just have to play through Sons of Liberty before hitting Guns of the Patriots, even if it means playing as that insufferable ass Raiden. That's how good Snake Eater was.

Fuck it, I rest my case.

LunarSage

Quote from: Inkidu on February 06, 2012, 07:06:58 PM
Okay so X-Com is fantastic. I wouldn't call it greatest game ever made, but it's in the top ten easy. The micromanaging is still tedious, the controls are crap, but I don't care! I just had to reload after a particularly nasty bit of bad business. I only reload if I'm going to lose the whole squad or if it's nighttime when I wanted to go in in daylight, one or two guys. Nope that's "acceptable losses".

Two squads of three with the remainder in the dropship in case the aliens are at the door. We find the crashed UFO pretty fast. We hunker around the wall for twenty turns or so before one of them actually shows up. We trade fire and I take down one of the little gray bastards (We're still using Earth-tech weapons, no armor... it's a killing field sometimes). The rest mill around their corner trying to pick us off. I have my teams hold up to over-watch. I have one guy prime a grenade and prep to throw next turn. He's hunkered down behind a stone wall crouching. The odds are about one and twenty hill get wounded more for an outright kill even for no armor.

Nope, little gray fucker picks him off he drops the grenade and there goes the whole team. Abort, reload. Yeah. I'm playing on beginner but who. Those guys got reach. God help you if you're out at night. God help your soul.

Wait till you play Terror from the Deep.  *grins*

My favorite of the series.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Capone

Quote from: Wolfy on February 06, 2012, 08:06:39 AM
Hmm...is it possible to have..too many games?

I have so many that are pulling me in all 10 directions at once. <_<>_>

Seriously...

Starhawk Beta
Shadow of the Colossus/Ico
FFXIII-2
White Knight Chronicles 2
Star Wars The Old Republic
Sonic CD
Final Fantasy IX
And good god, the list goes on....

I'm sitting on 30-40+ unbeaten games right now.

Which reminds me, Vanquish.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 06, 2012, 07:58:15 PM
Welcome to my world. Remember to use flares if you're fighting at night, and smoke otherwise!

Now.

Mother of god. Snake Eater was ... amazing. I mean, the gameplay ranges from workable to clunky, but goddamn. Goddamn. That story. The characters. I mean, I got pissed at the game for having about ten false endings, but .. damn! I don't know what to say. I am blown away. I might just have to play through Sons of Liberty before hitting Guns of the Patriots, even if it means playing as that insufferable ass Raiden. That's how good Snake Eater was.

Fuck it, I rest my case.
Smokes are tricky, the little gray guys (they're probably sectoids, but I can't confirm that and I don't want it confirmed without research) hide in smoke really well visually speaking. Even if I have the little alert I sometimes forget they're there. Also. Sometimes it's hard to see aliens in the alleyway between two close buildings. A gray guy almost ganked one of my girls.

I avoid going out at nighttime whenever possible. Even with flares it turns into a real nightmare scenario. The aliens see better I'm sure.

So do any of you guys actually name your bases? I just started so out in the American heartland is Fort Vigilance. I name my soldiers too once they break rookie status. They all get handles MIB/Wing Commander style. Makes them identifiable. Also on my agenda. Laser rifles. I need to ditch the standard earth kit for something with more punch.

Also, I know I don't have the right to actually say this because I've only ever played Snake Eater, but it's probably the best game in the whole Metal Gear Solid series. If none of the other games existed it would still be awesome.

Wolfy

Quote from: Capone on February 06, 2012, 09:03:40 PM
I'm sitting on 30-40+ unbeaten games right now.

Which reminds me, Vanquish.

:/ I can't even list how many games on Steam I haven't even PLAYED, that I just bought because they were the current deal of the day. @_@

Inkidu

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/26/advanced-tactics-exploring-xcom-39-s-combat-part-1.aspx

A look at the tactics of XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

From what I can tell they're taking away the time unit system in favor of one with a lot more skills and perks depending on the soldier and situation that soldier finds themselves in.

Still, Cornbread is the most awesome name for a sniper ever. Ever.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on February 06, 2012, 10:36:45 PM
Smokes are tricky, the little gray guys (they're probably sectoids, but I can't confirm that and I don't want it confirmed without research) hide in smoke really well visually speaking. Even if I have the little alert I sometimes forget they're there. Also. Sometimes it's hard to see aliens in the alleyway between two close buildings. A gray guy almost ganked one of my girls.

I think it's generally a good tactic to drop a smoke grenade some feet in front of your plane thingy, to avoid getting shot the moment you step outside. It's also handy if you're entering a UFO ( especially an intact one ). Later on you'll get weapons capable of blasting new openings, though. Just make sure to keep your distance, because those things can vaporize huge areas.

QuoteI avoid going out at nighttime whenever possible. Even with flares it turns into a real nightmare scenario. The aliens see better I'm sure.

You're damn right they do! Cheating little bastards!

QuoteSo do any of you guys actually name your bases? I just started so out in the American heartland is Fort Vigilance. I name my soldiers too once they break rookie status. They all get handles MIB/Wing Commander style. Makes them identifiable. Also on my agenda. Laser rifles. I need to ditch the standard earth kit for something with more punch.

I used to give my base names from Norse Mythology. I also usually build my first base near Roswell, New Mexico.  ;D

QuoteAlso, I know I don't have the right to actually say this because I've only ever played Snake Eater, but it's probably the best game in the whole Metal Gear Solid series. If none of the other games existed it would still be awesome.

Finally... I started playing Peace Walker, even though I wasn't actually going to, what with it being ported from a handheld. But it's actually really good. The controls are really tight, and for once they actually make sense ( being able to walk while crouching, getting a button prompt when performing takedowns, moving while aiming ).

But Snake Eater's story is some of the best writing I've seen in ... years, possibly.

Inkidu

I added Fort Horizon somewhere in Europe. America satisfied with the work I'm doing and upped my funding, Brazil is pissed because my skyranger didn't make it to deal with a little upset in Brasilia. I wasn't going to do it at nighttime, plus I'm already writing them off a a source of funding. I'm more worried about Asia and the middle east.

Hemingway

Terror Missions during nighttime are ... yeah, just don't do it. Just don't.

Incidentally, Peace Walker has ... oddly enough, base managment that's a bit similar to X-COM. You assign your people to different departments, like R&D, sick bay, and so on. Only you don't recruit them, you either rescue POWs or kidnap enemy soldiers. Which .. seems odd. But they all seem keen on joining, so I guess they're not really satisfied with working for the Generic CIA-Backed Militia.

I think I'm also starting to see the difference between Japanese and Western action / war games. Where games like Call of Duty seem to delight in glorifying war, Metal Gear has a pretty strong anti-war ( or at least anti-nuke ) message. A lot of games that try to be philosophical end up being silly, but this actually works, even if I'm sometimes getting mixed messages. But I think that's sort of the point.

Brandon

When I play X-Com I tend to label my bases by the continent they are on. X-Com America is almost always my main base because the US gives you the most funding. X-Com Japan is usually the 2nd base I build and is there purely for research and spotting stuff in South/mid asia. X-Com Africa is usually my third base and becomes a major manufacturing base. Then I usually make X-Com Stockholm for my european base and its the assault base for everything in the east. This setup helps me keep track of what is where and what roll the base plays in earths defenses

On another note, if you have no choice but to enter a terror mission at night and dont want to suck it up, what you can do is enter the terror mission and immediately leave. You will loose far less then not making it to a terror mission at all.

For my squad setups, I have one or two squadmates as scouts who carry a pistol and motion detector to find aliens. I also equip them with stun batons (assuming I dont have a small launcher/stun bombs yet). I make sure they have high TU's so they can do a lot in a single round. Then I usually have a single "heavy" soldier to pack a heavy cannon or explosive device (i.e. rocket launcher or blaster bomb). Other then that all my soldiers are always equipped with 1 med kit, 1 grenade, 1 smoke grenade, and 2 clips of ammunition (also 2 flares if its a night mission). This ensures a pretty well rounded team for any mission.

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 07, 2012, 01:41:14 PM
Terror Missions during nighttime are ... yeah, just don't do it. Just don't.

Incidentally, Peace Walker has ... oddly enough, base managment that's a bit similar to X-COM. You assign your people to different departments, like R&D, sick bay, and so on. Only you don't recruit them, you either rescue POWs or kidnap enemy soldiers. Which .. seems odd. But they all seem keen on joining, so I guess they're not really satisfied with working for the Generic CIA-Backed Militia.

I think I'm also starting to see the difference between Japanese and Western action / war games. Where games like Call of Duty seem to delight in glorifying war, Metal Gear has a pretty strong anti-war ( or at least anti-nuke ) message. A lot of games that try to be philosophical end up being silly, but this actually works, even if I'm sometimes getting mixed messages. But I think that's sort of the point.
A Japanese game with an anti-nuke message? Wait, no that explains most of it.

I only played one CoD game and that was Modern Warfare. I don't typically like games based on real wars... because people actually fought and died in those. What I saw in Modern Warfare though was a biting criticism of how remote-controlled warfare has become, how detached we are from it. 

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on February 07, 2012, 04:26:53 PM

I only played one CoD game and that was Modern Warfare. I don't typically like games based on real wars... because people actually fought and died in those. What I saw in Modern Warfare though was a biting criticism of how remote-controlled warfare has become, how detached we are from it.

Hur hur hur. Silly Japanese, being against nuclear weapons.

What I see in Modern Warfare is mostly a reckless disregard for human rights and the Geneva Conventions. I mean, I don't find the games offensive or anything, but as someone pointed out in an article about Modern Warfare 3, there's a lot of unnecessary and callous killing going on. It doesn't apply that much to the first Modern Warfare, what with the nuke scene and all, but even that game has its moments.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on February 07, 2012, 04:26:53 PM

If you believe that CoD is an accurate depiction of modern war then yes I could see that. Problem is its not authentic in the least. Generals of entire armies do not stay on the radio talking to individual units and information is rarely passed down so quickly. What youre seeing in Modern warefare is a fantasy of a perfectly sculpted and small military, not a realistic depiction of a task force
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

LunarSage

X-Com Potential Spoiler
What were those awesome missile things that you could fire at angles, around corners, etc?  When they hit they -decimated- like everything in a huge area.  I used to call them mini nukes.  Such epicness.

Hemingway

That's not a spoiler. The only reason to spoiler tag that is so that someone who doesn't know what the weapon is will accidentally kill everyone with improper use.  :P

In Enemy Unknown / UFO Defense, it's called a Blaster Launcher. In Terror From the Deep, Disruptor Pulse Launcher.

Capone

Beat Vanquish last night. I'm not really sure what to think of the game's ending itself. In the end, though, I think I enjoyed it quite a bit. The entire time I was playing I was thinking of it in terms of a chore to beat it, but when I reflect back I realize it was a game that was enjoyable to play.

I still dislike that it had one-hit-kill attacks, but reflecting back, the game was designed for the player to be careful in a very different manner than, say, Gears of War. Gears is all about cover. Vanquish is about knowing when and how to use its AR Mode, and when you're not using it, stay far from your foes and in cover.

Already got the new Resident Evil for 3DS from Amazon today, started a new game in that. I think this is the first big non-Nintendo game for the system, and will certainly set a standard. Even without that circle pad pro attachment the controls aren't too bad. I still gotta get to playing the game "properly", though.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 07, 2012, 04:38:21 PM
Hur hur hur. Silly Japanese, being against nuclear weapons.

What I see in Modern Warfare is mostly a reckless disregard for human rights and the Geneva Conventions. I mean, I don't find the games offensive or anything, but as someone pointed out in an article about Modern Warfare 3, there's a lot of unnecessary and callous killing going on. It doesn't apply that much to the first Modern Warfare, what with the nuke scene and all, but even that game has its moments.
Don't misconstrued what I said as flippant. It figures heavily into their culture today. I just thought it was kind of obvious why they were anti-nuke, but it ties into the Modern Warfare example pretty well. I can't think of anything more detached than a nuke and a modern delivery system. Boom! Gone... although that is the logical extreme, and it hasn't happened yet. Actually, if you look back on history it's pretty lucky that only two atomic weapons have ever been used in warfare.
y
Brandon: I'm well aware of it, and I'm going to let you in on a little secret: The people who made the game are well aware of it, too. It's called making it fun. I'm under no illusion that's how a modern operates, and I never said it was a completely accurate depiction of a modern military. Regardless though, I think the message of a detached remote-control war is still intact.   

EDIT: Terror missions. Though they should be called Night Terror missions. You know, because they always happen in such a way that you have to do them at night. The game is pretty good about not sending everything against you when you're out capturing UFOs or raiding crashes, but when you go to a Terror mission the gloves are off. I just replaced my troops' standard kit with laser weapons, and I think that's the only reason they all didn't die off the craft. Not only did I have to deal with the LGMs, but I also had to deal with these floating discs made of explodium. In fact, if there hadn't been several gas pumps lying about I don't think I would have done as well.

Then the sarge died and it was all over, one guy panicked, promptly got shot and the aliens surrounded the warehouse the last survivor was in and that was all she wrote about that. A brutal defeat, and really the only one in the solitary month of operation.

LunarSage

Quote from: Hemingway on February 07, 2012, 07:13:10 PM
That's not a spoiler. The only reason to spoiler tag that is so that someone who doesn't know what the weapon is will accidentally kill everyone with improper use.  :P

In Enemy Unknown / UFO Defense, it's called a Blaster Launcher. In Terror From the Deep, Disruptor Pulse Launcher.

Well I spoilered it in case anyone who hadn't developed that weapon yet didn't want to know about it till they got it.   :P

But yepyep, now I remember.  My favorite weapon in the game.  :-)

Inkidu

Sorry, Africa, but fuck you. I have lost too many men, too much materiel, and too many hours trying to save your ass. I felt guilty about the last time your city was attacked (and I didn't make it in time), but my unarmored squishy squadies are not meant to be slaughtered wholesale. Every time we had to retreat to the landing craft only to be wiped outs by superior numbers, firepower, and psychic ability. I think I'm going to need some kind of armor. Plus, why are they always at night!? Why!

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on February 08, 2012, 02:30:05 PM
Sorry, Africa, but fuck you. I have lost too many men, too much materiel, and too many hours trying to save your ass. I felt guilty about the last time your city was attacked (and I didn't make it in time), but my unarmored squishy squadies are not meant to be slaughtered wholesale. Every time we had to retreat to the landing craft only to be wiped outs by superior numbers, firepower, and psychic ability. I think I'm going to need some kind of armor. Plus, why are they always at night!? Why!

Research alien alloys, you can do personal armor right after that. I dont remember what you need for power suits and flying suits but Im pretty sure flying suits require Elerium research

Hemingway

Inkidu

I'm getting really frustrated with X-Com. I like it, it's fun, and I understand that when it was made it offered a lot. It just seems unfair to me sometimes. I get it, life's unfair, but I feel like I'm getting punished by randomness just a little too often. I had to throw away this game because apparently because everyone was mad at me and slashed my funding. Even Europe and America, the one's I broke my back for. I think it had to do with I should have been researching UFO tech to up my interceptors and I spent it on alien autopsies only to find out they're flavor text. This is the kind of thing that keeps X-Com from being the perfect game, as some would laud it. I get that I have limited research options, but I think that every option should reward me in some way. If that doesn't line up with the way things go that's my problem, but taking apart Sectoids should have given me some kind of benefit. It kills a lot of the choice when half the options are extraneous.

I'm hoping the new XCOM game fixes this, and it sounds like it does. Now I have to start over... again... because the Random Number God hates my guts.