things to ponder

Started by Duchess, March 11, 2009, 03:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duchess

Why does X stand for kiss and O stand for hugs?

Ever wonder why the X stands for kisses and the O for hugs, I mean when you hug somebody does it look like an O? In addition, your lips does they appear like an X when you pucker up for a kiss?
Why not the O for a kiss, it seems more logic like that, the lips together is very close to a circle and the hugging part, no letter is close to that. Strangely almost the whole world know that's what they stand for and is understand in any language no matter where you from and still nobody knows why? Alternatively, am I the only one considering this?

Dawg

As I understand it the X goes back to the middle ages when those that were illiterate would sign documents with an X and then kiss the X signifying their compliance.   The O from my recollection was chosen because it signifies brining someone into your circle or personal space, as you do in a hug, or the other reason I have heard before is it looks like someone reaching their hands around someone else.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Greenthorn

Well if you look at it this way for kisses: > <...><...tighter together still and it's an X!

There!  My reasoning!

( ) looks like two people approaching each other with their arms out...if you are above them and they are stick figures.  Bring ( and ) together and you create an O!

Duchess

Greenthorn

Well I think so!  Of course, that would be the GT meaning and not the real meaning...but we can always pass it off as the real meaning!

*nods sagely*