So...Watchmen. That's right. I did it. *spoilers follow*

Started by Ramael, April 04, 2011, 07:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: AyeGill on May 05, 2011, 02:21:06 AM
The only one we know for sure has bulletproof armor is the new Nite Owl, and he's pretty high tech. Though out of all the characters we actually see fighting, only 2 are without bullet protection(rorschach and Laurie Jupiter). Three if you count hollis mason, i think we can be pretty confident he didn't have bulletproof armor back in his day either.

Kevlar wasn't around but Hollis wear an armor of sorts as his costume was leather and chainmail. That whole chapter of "Under the Hood" was a pretty interesting look at "realistically" making a super-hero costume.

Anyway, you can pick up a bulletproof vest for a couple hundred bucks so it's not like Kevlar is that expensive. If someone wants to line a coat or something it only costs around thirty bucks a square yard.

RubySlippers

My character is not stupid I designed her to be realistic and most would not barrel into a fight without protection even ordinary police often have to wear vests. Even my armor is not all kevlar only where she needs to protect with the least actual armor her vitals have shaped metal plates (corset effect also with the breast lift as a plus) and her mask. A military issued armor piercing round can still be an issue. Fortunately most heroes can break bones and necks without much worry an average thug is simply a no brainer.

Ramael

I see the kevlar-maddened masses have spoken. I relent :D

Welcome, Kai! Night Fox will be a cool customer to add to our mask-erade (seewatIdidthar!). Only one question. If he works as a model, then his face will be fairly well known, at least by some of the modelling community and his agent. If he operates as Night Fox without a mask, won't he be recognised? It's cool if he is, I didn't intend for all of our characters to have secret identities.

We certainly have enough characters for now, I shall set about setting up some IC threads.

In the meantime, I wanted to brew a few plotlines amongst you guys that I have been thinking about...again, canon spoiler warning for those who missed the title, but I imagine if you're already down here you don't need it.

One. An shady yet powerful group is operating in New York stirring up American-Russian tensions, which will only be evident to our (anti)heroes in that there are more cases of fights between youths, new Russian cafes being broken into, certain New York-based newspapers raided, etc. Slowly, to those of us with any detective skills, some heroes may begin putting two and two together...in between stopping fights, disarming riots at the Russian Embassy, preventing assasinations, etc.

Two. Alongside Atlanta (yet unknown to her, and the rest of the cast) Veidt has a few more...definate...prevention methods to keep his terrible, bloody secret. Rorschach's journal will go unmentioned for now, but I intend to bring it into the story at a later date. Before then, let's say Adrian has installed a few loyal and powerful spies in the city to keep a watch on the sudden rise in the number of "masks", his own included.

Thoughts/discuss?

Kaisude

Well as a model yes he would be known, but when he is the night fox the turtle neck is actually a pull over so it covers all of his face but his eyes. I wasn't going to go in too deep about a picture, plus that one looked bad ass to me.

I think it's possible to combine the plots. You know while this is happening this is also happening.

I really like the first one though.

AyeGill

I pick Three: all of the above.

Seriously, one of the great things about the original Watchmen was how you had all these different layers of plot, and it seemed like what was going on was totally random, but at the end it all made sense. Maybe somebody different from Veidt is the chessmaster this time?

Kaisude

Quote from: AyeGill on May 05, 2011, 03:19:02 PM
I pick Three: all of the above.

Seriously, one of the great things about the original Watchmen was how you had all these different layers of plot, and it seemed like what was going on was totally random, but at the end it all made sense. Maybe somebody different from Veidt is the chessmaster this time?

lol though I agree. A new puppeteer could make it more interesting.

Ramael

Good, good. I'm really not sure about who to make chessmaster...let's look at the political layout (can't really do Watchmen without a dash of politics eh?)

Who stands to lose out on a complete American-Russian alliance?

Europe? The Middle East? Israel?

In reality it would be more a splinter group from either one, rather than the region as a whole, which brings us unfortunately to terrorists, which is a bit cliche.

Terrorists in COSTUME, however...

Also! What was the name of that newspaper that was right-wing, pro-vigilante and anti-russian? Maybe it would be far more believable for some American extreme right-wing group to be the bad guys. The more I think about it the more it is, actually.

Kaisude

Could make some kind of drug lord who running politics. Keeping senators in the office and stuff like that. Maybe a crime syndicate that has been working in the shadows to lead the world in to ruin, so that they could take the reigns, after corrupting the president?

RubySlippers

As long as my character can have her fun with women she likes who cares about the rest.  ;D

Seriously she is going to go with the flow and protect her neighborhood.

AyeGill

Quote from: Ramael on May 05, 2011, 03:48:43 PM

Also! What was the name of that newspaper that was right-wing, pro-vigilante and anti-russian? Maybe it would be far more believable for some American extreme right-wing group to be the bad guys. The more I think about it the more it is, actually.

The new frontiersman, i believe. I can check it when i get home, i don't have my copy with me right now.

Ramael

Brainwave.

Yes! I've got it. It seems to me rather natural to assume that, given the nature of the attack and the human revenge complex, that people would want a tangible enemy to attack. In this case, the good honest people of America (and the rest of the world, for that matter) want nothing better than to get their hands on some genuine, gribbly, aliens, and kick the shit out of them.

Hence the rise of the Frontiersmen.
So named, partially after the newspaper that is co-funding them, but also, according to one Frontiersmen spokesperson, "The Event has opened up to us as a race, a whole new frontier of warfare that we have never dreamt possible."

These armoured and armed men (and women) are self-proclaimed "Alien Hunters" and, whilst not government funded, are certainly government legitimised, and receive state cooperation in most things. Ostensibly out to "protect all human citizens", the Frontiersmen have the right to question anyone and everyone who may be an alien "sympathiser" whether they know it or not. The Frontiersmen target all shady characters, and also anyone who has ever claimed to be psychic, or a magician, or a fortune teller. Sometimes these people are simply questioned, given reassurance of the Frontiersmen's aid, and sent on their way, to be secretly spied on for the rest of their lives. The less cooperating of the Frontiersmen's captives are never seen again...all in the name of "world security".

The Frontiersmen have a uniform of sorts (pics to follow), and are funded by sources unknown. The beleaguered government hasn't led an official investigation into the organisation, as they are simply glad there is another body of authority helping them keep peace and making the citizens of America feel safer at night.

Old servicemen, retired policemen, the odd mercenary and hundreds of incensed civilian volunteers make up the ranks of the Frontiersmen, but they also enlist their own psychics, or those claiming to have proven psychic powers, to help them in their quest against the "enemy on the other side".

Anyone acting un-American, or even in an "inhuman manner" is fair game for the Frontiersmen. They are a thinly veiled force of oppression, but with the right press and the government's inaction, (not to mention their small but growing fanbase) they are allowed to do as they will on the streets of New York, all in the name of the anti-alien crusade.

All the other plot points will be used, but I think the Frontiersmen will be the main focal point to begin with at least, and our (anti) heroes can choose whether they see the Frontiersmen as a good, honest bulwark against the horrors of different planets, or painted fascist thugs using a disaster to perpetrate their own sadistic rule on the streets of the capital. They receive training and are equipped like a standard police force, except with less guns and more "alien hunting" equipment (tazers, mace, "psychic radar", spring-loaded nets, etc).

I might even make up a few NPCS as lead Frontiersmen captains.

What do you all think?

EDIT: I’m also just whipping up some IC game threads, located in Central Park, Happy Harrys, The Docks, and a Russian café.

AyeGill

Kaisude

It's pretty cool. I think the Frontiersman are a bit crazy, but crazy makes an rp.

Foxy DeVille

Muahaha... that's great. I can think of all sorts of plots for Atalanta with that...  >:)

Ramael

Thanks, I'm glad you guys approve!

As promised;

OOC

Veidt Statue

Happy Harry's

The docks

Kommandant Kafe

More to come, with character sheet thread, more details on the Frontiersmen. I've called the game "Sentries" as it's close to the Minutemen/Watchmen theme, and added the Century part as it's close to the end of the century and it makes a neat play on words :D

For now, feel free to get your character settled in.

Ruby, I know your character has her own sports bar that other characters could get to, so if you wanted to add an in-game location thread, go ahead, just try and get "Century of the Sentries" in the title somewhere so it's tied to the rest of the game.

Ramael

So we have our first smattering of action in the Kafe...

Maybe if you girls get a post in the OOC too so you'll have it bookmarked for future reference?

Alysanthia

Quote from: Ramael on May 04, 2011, 06:47:11 AM
Great stuff so far!

Does Ell have any more unique flaws? Most normal people don't like to see children abused. Also, how has she gone about making/affording the smoke bombs? How does she feel being a 'good guy' yet one who will probably be on the run from the police, especially should the murder she committed come back to haunt her?

She makes the smoke bombs after finding a book in the library that gives detail instructions on how to create them. Well the family just figured it was drug dealers or something of the sorts, so Ell is in the clear but she still thinks about it from time to time. Mainly because she wonders if her father would have approve, of course he wouldn't have but she wanted revenge. Hm... Another flaw... Well senseless murders could cause her to anger easily. I can add that to her CS real quick. :)

Ramael

I was thinking more....personal. If you look at Ayegill's char, we can see he's slightly imbalanced. My char has a few bad things listed about him, such as his selfishness and such. Ruby's char has a bias towards helping women, and Kai's char has a tendency to be self-serving. Whilst all of our characters have good things about us, we also have some personality flaws. The characters from the original graphic novel were all quite imbalanced, which was what helped to make them so interesting to follow. Check out my original post towards the bottom if you like. :)

As for this, enough of our chatter cluttering up the game interest thread! Let us move this to the OOC.

I will finish up that Century of the Sentries has started, but we are still open to one or maybe two more players, if there are those of you out there still interested in joining a Watchmen-themed game, post your interest here or feel free to PM me.

Alysanthia

Ramael

So we've got some great RP started on the ravaged streets of New York, post-Dr Manhattan.

We have some great players but more would be advantageous (not to mention fun!) to help fill the lulls when some of us are away to keep Century of the Sentries alive and kicking and whacking out more Alan Moore-themed plot juice.

If you're interested in donning a mask and "dressing up and doing something stupid at three in the morning", or you get your kicks in costume ala Nite Owl, or maybe you've got an Alexander the Great complex like Adrian Veidt, or perhaps you want to pervert others to your will like Moloch the Mystic...get in touch.

We'd be glad to fight with you to the death on the streets of Manhattan compare cute costumes and get into awkward love triangles try and blame your murder on either the police or an unlucky bystander have you.