New Computer Opinions/Help

Started by Kazyth, November 29, 2014, 01:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazyth

Howdy folks.  I'm shopping around for a new desktop, as the old Green Monster isn't holding up that well anymore.  My budget is 800.00 or under right now.  I need something that will hold up for at least a year or two before I need to really upgrade anything.

Thus far, given the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and all, I am looking at this:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103960

Or possibly this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229495 ... though with tax that'd likely take me outside the price range I've set.

Of course, this is 150 over that price range, but it looks really good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227593

I do research, but often times it still feels all a little Greek to me as to what I'll need, what'll hold up, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Ephiral

The first one is... decently midrange for right now, but not a great gaming machine, and certainly not futureproofed.

The second and third are near-identical - the big differences are the larger hard drive in #2, and the much etter graphics card in #3. You're not exactly getting the graphics cheaper than you would be buying it aftermarket, though ($150 price difference, #2's graphics card goes for ~$75, #3's goes for ~$250, and there's the hard drive reduction to take into account.)

So I'd say the choice is between 2 and 3, depending on how much of a gaming rig you want vs how flexible your budget is.

Kazyth

Thanks Ephiral!  I think I'm going to go with #3 on this one, and stretch the budget a bit. It actually dropped almost $75.00, and I cleared it with my lovely wife, so hopefully after I get paid on Thursday I can order it and have it here before Christmas.

Oniya

Just as a note, make sure you inquire about making after-market upgrades.  For example, the machine I have allows for upgrading the graphics card significantly, and can also take additional RAM later on if I want to give it a kick without getting a whole new machine.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ephiral

4 RAM channels capping at 32 gig, and PCIe 3 x16. Good to go on both those fronts.

Kazyth

Thank you for the tip on upgrading, Oni!

And thank you for answering what would have been the next question then, Ephiral!