Anonymous: Operation Last Resort

Started by Sabby, January 29, 2013, 12:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monfang

Quote from: Rhapsody on February 22, 2013, 06:55:37 PM
Nobody wants to talk about Steubenville, because it's absolutely horrifying. People first off don't want to think that their daughters or sisters or nieces or wives can be dragged from party to party to be raped while they were out cold, and they don't want to think their sons and brothers and nephews are callous and sociopathic enough to do it. Then they don't want to think that they'd be involved in a blanket of silence around the whole affair, because good, decent people don't do that. So it's easier to just not talk about it, forget it happened, hope it goes away.

This is why we need groups like Anonymous. This might never have come to light if not for them. I'm not saying everything they do is beneficial, not by a long shot. But in a few particular instances, they're quite necessary.
I might have heard of this some time ago. It was a girl who was drugged and carried around, right? People saying that she looked almost dead yet they did nothing.

If wouldn't be so bad if they did things like finding this out, as I said. But they go from superheroes to supervillians faster than most comic book heroes.

Rhapsody

Quote from: Monfang on February 22, 2013, 07:02:02 PM
I might have heard of this some time ago. It was a girl who was drugged and carried around, right? People saying that she looked almost dead yet they did nothing.

If wouldn't be so bad if they did things like finding this out, as I said. But they go from superheroes to supervillians faster than most comic book heroes.

Yes, it was.

I think their main problem is their anonymity. Without a central tenet to direct them, they pull as much stuff that gets them nothing but hate as they do stuff that people can get behind.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Monfang

Quote from: Rhapsody on February 22, 2013, 07:17:29 PM
Yes, it was.

I think their main problem is their anonymity. Without a central tenet to direct them, they pull as much stuff that gets them nothing but hate as they do stuff that people can get behind.
They have no one to hold them accountable, you mean! Same thing as most places online. No rules when it comes to ethics or such and people turn into such horrible things.

I should know, happened to me once or twice.

Rhapsody

Quote from: Monfang on February 22, 2013, 07:19:40 PM
They have no one to hold them accountable, you mean! Same thing as most places online. No rules when it comes to ethics or such and people turn into such horrible things.

I should know, happened to me once or twice.

No, what I meant was they have no guiding directive beyond: "whatever the fuck you like". If they said, "We're going to expose rape cover ups" or "we're going to combat hate speech like the WBC" and they were an actual organization with a chain of command (for lack of a better term) and used their anonymity to facilitate these goals, that would be one thing. But they're a disparate, disconnected, disjointed loosely-affiliated group with wildly varying goals and motives.

They have the potential to be an incredible beneficial force, but they're too disorganized to put it to good, steady, reliable use.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Trieste

Their lack of oversight and opinion of themselves as saviors is essentially the large part of my unhappiness with them.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Trieste on February 22, 2013, 07:34:32 PM
Their lack of oversight and opinion of themselves as saviors is essentially the large part of my unhappiness with them.
This.  And I have a sneaking suspicion that they aren't even a group of people, rather Anon is a banner taken up by anyone who thinks they're going to make a statement about...  Something.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Monfang

Quote from: Chris Brady on February 23, 2013, 12:25:50 AM
This.  And I have a sneaking suspicion that they aren't even a group of people, rather Anon is a banner taken up by anyone who thinks they're going to make a statement about...  Something.
So they are more of a brand than anything else? One that can be taken up by anyone so that they can associate themselves with them? That's worse than them actually planning as any nutcase with some knowledge of computers can do horrible things in their name.

Trieste

Quote from: Monfang on February 23, 2013, 12:33:10 AM
So they are more of a brand than anything else? One that can be taken up by anyone so that they can associate themselves with them? That's worse than them actually planning as any nutcase with some knowledge of computers can do horrible things in their name.

Are you ... asking, or stating an opinion? Both? Neither?

Monfang

Quote from: Trieste on February 23, 2013, 12:43:57 AM
Are you ... asking, or stating an opinion? Both? Neither?
Firs two were questions, last was an opinion if he first two were true.

Oniya

Well, the problem with saying you're 'Anonymous' is that there's no way for anyone (including the people that want to use Anonymous for good things) to prove otherwise without dropping the actual anonymity of Anonymous.  The do-gooders have no way to disassociate themselves from the script-kiddies and outright bullies who use their anonymity (small 'a') as a way to avoid acting responsibly.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Monfang

Quote from: Oniya on February 23, 2013, 11:21:17 AM
Well, the problem with saying you're 'Anonymous' is that there's no way for anyone (including the people that want to use Anonymous for good things) to prove otherwise without dropping the actual anonymity of Anonymous.  The do-gooders have no way to disassociate themselves from the script-kiddies and outright bullies who use their anonymity (small 'a') as a way to avoid acting responsibly.
IT sounds like a self-destructive system.

Oniya

Not entirely off-topic, but does anyone here remember the movie 'Sneakers'?  The team there vaguely reminds me of what Anonymous would like to be.  The difference being that the team there wasn't out for self-aggrandizement, just getting the right thing done.  If, instead of making ominous proclamations, the do-gooders were simply dropping the information that they claim they have in the laps of the people who couldn't ignore it (after going through 7 proxies, of course ;D), they'd probably get a bit more respect, and more actual stuff done.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ephiral

For the record: I've followed Anonymous fairly closely, out of a kind of morbid fascination. I've got massive issues with vigilanteism, which is what it is at the core, but I find seeing how it actually works in the modern age interesting. That said, it appears to me that there is an informal core network of members, who may come and go depending on interest in an individual op. Outside of that, there appear to be minor associates and hangers-on, and complete outsiders who just want to use the name. (This is not a statement of definitive fact, just my analysis based on what I've seen them produce and do.)

Last Resort looks like the last category. There were no announcements at all via the usual newsfeeds/sites (usually they're timed more or less simultaneously with the video and Twitter debuts), and frankly, the video looks only superficially and sounds nothing at all like previous Anon media. I'm calling this a definite fake.

As for their own views of themselves... I think Oniya has hit the nail on the head, really. Personally, I'd have way less issue with them if they stopped treating police like the plague.