News:

Main Menu

New favorite authors?

Started by MrAlanNH, February 06, 2014, 11:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrAlanNH

Has anyone discovered any new favorite authors recently?

A few of my newest favorites are Joe Abercrombie, Ben Aaronovich, and Kate Griffin.

Aaronovich and Griffin both write modern urban fantasy based in and around London.  I feel both have excellent ways of updating traditional magical traditions and techniques to be relevant in a modern era.

Abercrombie is great for gritty fantasy with memorable characters.  His portrayal of the Bloody Nine in the First Law trilogy meshed almost exactly with what I always felt a "proper" berserker-warrior should be.

Mathim

I'm becoming mildly interested in Johathan L. Howard, author of the Johannes Cabal series. His style is so-so but his characters really bring the stories to life, particularly the titular Johannes Cabal, a misanthropic necromancer.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

I don't keep up enough to know who is considered "new".

Jeremy Robinson is pretty fun, not fantastic, but he owns his pulp factor.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

I forgot to mention Patrick Rothfuss. He's got two books out of what is going to be (at least) a trilogy called the Kingkiller Chronicle. The first book was decent, the second a bit better and more interesting. I have high hopes for the third. It's worth a look.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

PapillonBeryl

Catherynne Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairy Land in a Ship of Her Own Making is awesome.
Elizabeth Wein's Code Name: Verity is exceptional and the audiobook has destroyed my desire for any other audiobooks for a while due to the incredible performers.
Maxx Barry's Lexicon is good.

Knightshadow

I will agree that Patrick Rothfuss is an excellent writer! His prose is so poetic, it makes my eyes water.  Seriously, the guy can write very very well.  I sometimes read and reread lines because they are so beautiful.

HOWEVER...

The plot is slow in the first two books.  Without spoiling it, the story goes too long into the inner workings of magic school. It's almost like reading about a college freshman's trials and tribulations and, well, although sometimes mildly interesting, the second book has not sustained my interest long enough to completion.  Life's too short.  Again, his prose kept me coming back and they truly are Shakespearean in breadth and scope.  But the plot just plods along and too little action and adventure happens, albeit the boy's lack of funds and his innate abilities at singing and playing the lute.

I recommend the first book for its sheer poetic beauty.  But war, combat, magic, action?  Find a different book.
My song for Piper:
"In this part of the story I am the one who
Dies, the only one, and I will die of love because I love you,
Because I love you, Love, in fire and blood."

Pablo Neruda