News:

Main Menu

Fallout 3 Review

Started by ZK, October 31, 2008, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZK

Publisher:  Bethesda Softworks (ZeniMax Media)
Developer: Bethesda Softworks
Platform: XBOX 360, PC, PlayStation 3
Genre: Post Apocalyptic 1st/3rd Person RPG
Suggested Retail: $49.99 USD (PC), $59.99 USD (360 & PS3)
Platform Reviewed: XBOX 360 (Note: PC and 360 versions are identical; PC version even has Achievements)

"War, War Never Changes..." Fallout 3 is a part of a running series of Post Apocalyptic consisting of two fellow titles named Fallout and Fallout 2, as well as two non-canon spin-off titles both named Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. And this edition is no slouch, having returned back to the main-front of canon story, but this time, not by Interplay or Black Ilse, no, another company is at the helm of this grand, dark adventure; Bethesda Softworks! The makers of the long running The Elder Scrolls series and a few other free roaming titles, such as Pirates of the Caribbean (not to be confused with the film game, that's utter rubbish). The take on this title continues the time-line  (and the story from Fallout 2 sort of; there are key hints and so on of events that transpired in Fallout 2) by advancing it three decades and giving it a new local. No longer in glowing Cali, but across the entire country over to that of DC, now called "The Capital Wasteland".

Story:

Now like other reviewers, I won't spoil the back-story, but tell of the prologue. You're born in Vault 101, the Vault that has been permanently sealed from the outside world, as they say, You're Born in the Vault, You Die in the Vault. Well, as that turns out, that isn't completely true, due to the protagonist's father decided to abandon ship and escape Vault 101 and it's your duty (or forced duty) to go after him. What you do about that? Well, that's up to you once you hit the Wasteland. Every action has consequences in the long run be it Karma hits or grand scales as the fate of entire towns, the game feels far more alive then other titles that attempt at such. This has been the best move for Bethesda in terms of storytelling, they are quite capable of capturing the essence of the Fallout universe and keep it held together, from the 50s Super Science Utopia turned Wasteland Nightmare theme to that of character interaction and story progression.

The only time it feels like it falls apart at random moments is interaction between the characters and not you. It's a mixed bag of treats and candy you don't like which gives some of the NPCs some rather awkward moments, but far from the same rhetoric that you've seen in Oblivion and other titles if you've played any Bethesda Softworks titles. So, with the small talk, it's a mixed bag, but not much to complain about. Now as to plot progression, it's a free-form title as were the TES series and the previous Fallout titles, but the gravity of your actions feel suitable right to the end of the game, much more then TES IV: Oblivion or Fable II for example. Like the other Fallout titles, it is also possible to "break" the main quest, ending the game prematurely and giving you a peculiar ending all right, which in it's own right is awesome. As said with that, the story is solid and keep you interested in the game be it the main quest chain or the many sub-quest chains.

The game is broken down into three forms of quest chains: Main Quest, Miscellaneous Quests (or town/city quests as I like to call them) and Free-Form Quests like TES IV: Oblivion. Now, the game doesn't have as many Miscellaneous Quests that TES IV had as it's more central based about towns and areas then actual "Go and do so and so" and each one feels unique for the scenario even if they have similar objectives in mind. Free-Form Quests are triple the amount as TES IV and split into three forms. Kill Quests, Collection Quests and the most fun, Exploration Quests; each suitable for the area, many with it's own story and fitting for Fallout. There is a lot to do in the game and some things cannot be completed due to your Karma alignment. I've spent over thirty hours in the game already and tackled two Main Quest chains and Two Miscellaneous chains, the rest of the time was done doing the various Free-Form Quests and exploration. The dark off-the-wall humor has taken a back-seat in this title, yet it has returned in a few random encounters (but not as bizarre) but it is retained in the gritty story and irony of many situations.

Gameplay:

Before people say it's Oblivion With Guns, as I have also made some similarities to Oblivion, it isn't. The combat mechanics feel a lot different, same with the system and how everything is handled. Combat-wise, the game is fun in both real-time and in V.A.T.S. which feels suitable for the dangers of the game. The game shines in V.A.T.S. more then anything, even there is a Perk called Mysterious Stranger where said stranger comes up in the midst of a V.A.T.S. session and finishes off your opponent, your own guardian angel.

Now on to the actual application of V.A.T.S., what it does is pauses the carnage and allows you to target specific body parts of the body of said nasty (or good-guy if you're being evil) and the percentage of it is to hit said limb and even their weapon (if they have one), change between multiple enemies and tally up "who to shoot and where" which the game reuses the AP system to tally and even brings up the familiar combat tally sounds you heard from previous titles.

The outward results is fantastic as it plays out in slow motion of your actions. Many critical shots will follow the bullet to the enemy and you get to see them gib, fry, melt in slow motion and that never gets old as it gives it a cinematic feel to combat actions. Sometimes you see your protagonist scowling in third person, unloading a barrage of assault rifle fire into the gut of a Super Mutant that is trying to make you swish cheese with his chaingun as you watch his bullets fly by you and yours connect with him, sending him flying backwards, dropping his gun as his body goes ragdoll in slow-motion with blood spraying out. Utterly satisfying. Another use for V.A.T.S. I would say, would be as a scouting scope for baddies way out there as it zooms in on them.

V.A.T.S. isn't only used for ranged combat, but also close range and melee combat as well. Nothing more satisfying then seeing and hearing an unlucky Raider taking a baseball bat to the skull only to hear it crack to the sound and their body goes flying to the side to it. Real time combat although as what one would expect from a first person and third person shooter with hand to hand. Nothing spectacular and surely nothing bland; it works. There is limb damage and it simulates in game quite well. Crippling the legs of a Raider will cause them to move slowly, drag their broken limbs and so on. Extensive damage to said crippled appendage will destroy the limb, usually by forcible amputation in a gory fashion. Now, in saying that, the same damage can extend to you. Crippling limbs can give you great advantages when you're not on the receiving end, luckily you can heal individual body parts to restore vitality (temporarily) back to your crippled limbs (it is possible to have max health, but badly damaged limbs) which can only be fully recooped with a trip to the doctor or a nice night's rest (which also gives you a boost on performance with combat and social interactions).

Weapons and Armor (as well as clothes) degrade after usage and do need periodic maintenance which gives the game of a more survival feel to it. Armor only degrades if you're consistently trying to soak up damage like a sponge and thus lose their bonuses and armor potency. Weapons degrade faster with repeated usage and if you manage to get hit with damage that is in a splash measure or getting smacked by a giant melee weapon. Guns lose their damaging potency and prone to jam, causing your character to have to a longer reloading animation. Now they don't degrade inhumanly fast like System Shock II, but they do inf act degrade that you have to repair or salvage other types of similar gear and repair your own things to keep them in working condition. A nice balance to keep things tactical and on edge as apposed of going in with your 10MM Submachine Gun and unload five hundred rounds with no degradation to your weapon as if your weapon was made out of an indestructible metal.

Another thing, aside from health you have to worry about, you also have to take care of Radiation. The higher it goes, the more prone you are to sickness and other bad things. As with gear degradation, this only truly hampers you if you try to take Rambo everything and trudge through the wastelands kamikaze style. Some areas give you rads, eating radiated food and drinking radiated liquids obviously gives you rads. Luckily, there is Rad-X, RadAway and of course nifty perks to lower your radiation level.

The system used in the game isn't of Bethesda's own work, instead they reuse the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system from the previous Fallout titles and it works in this as well. Although they have modified it to suit a more realistic approach. The system tends to go on a scale of 1-100 instead of 1-300 and Tag Skills only give a 25+ boost at start with said skill, instead of that and a x3% with each skill point spent at each level up. As the max level is now 20, you get a Perk at every level, a new Chain of Perks at each even level. They've done away with Traits and instead added many of them as Perks either you can get if you meet the requisites when leveling up or by doing specific Miscellaneous Quests and it offers a Perk as a reward.

The PipBoy 3000 works wonders, it allows you to see the health, what weight you're carrying, a world map, a mini-map that you've explored, your inventory, quest chains and even radio stations. The inventory system is easier to navigate as it has things separated by types and gear with degradation of the same (like two assault rifles), the most serviceable one is on top.

Social interactions as what you'd expect from both Fallout AND TES series. Many offer three or more (sometimes seven or more if they have Stats in the picture) and various have what are called "Speech Challenges" to talk your way out of (or in to) situations to your best advantage; although failing these have consequences, be it large or small.

A nice well-rounded bit of both action and social interaction comes to be.

Controls:

The controls are tight on the PC and XBOX 360; I would believe as well on the PS3. The buttons are responsive as they should be and easy to use and only a few buttons have more then one action mapped to them. The only thing I've noticed is that jumping at times can be problematic, as it sometimes doesn't want to respond to your press and you just stand there or worse, run off a cliff. Aside from that, it's quite top notch. The game can be played easily in third person as it can first person and the controls adjust to the change of the camera, which is nice.

Sound:

The sound has increased, the music is suitable from the dramatic combat music, the exploration music of the Wasteland to that of the 50s music crackling over the radio-stations and the propaganda on others. The voice cast has increased considerably in comparison to TES IV, so recycled voices are varied and usually only seen in generic enemy variety (as they should be). No complaints here at all.

Graphics:

As it uses the same engine as the previous title released in 2005, some of it shows and that usually shows in some of the animations as a few of them have been recycled from TES IV. The actual appearance of the game although looks much better then TES IV and the people no longer truly possess a plastic doll appearance, yet there is always room for improvement (which I am sure people will do in the PC version; MODS ahoy!). They've taken measures and paid close attention to make the scenery look unique and they've also improved their polygon count techniques to keep slowdowns to a minimum (I've yet to experience one personally). The majority of areas look unique in appearance with many memorable places.

Release Glitches: Now on to the glitches, so far the list for the PC and 360 list are small. Usually coming from rather bizarre circumstances like an object connected with a chain bouncing and making sounds while "staying still" and the occasional ability to get stuck behind something. These are minimal at best, but the latter is more annoying then the first. From what I've experienced, always save before you go to a new unexplored area. Problem solved. Sadly, from what I've seen and heard from others, the PS3 version is a glitch-fest, with weird missing polygons, sound issues and other game breaking problems. I'd stay away from this platform until they patch it.

Final Thoughts: This title seems like it will bring countless hours of enjoyment, a great storyline you can follow or walk away from and explore the world. Stays true to the Fallout universe and for a first try by a new company that done primarily fantasy, I'd say a job well done.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MagicalPen

Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System

I have it for the PC an always seem to be low on Ammo. Didn't help I just used most of my ammo up clearing an area full of Melee Enemies >.<

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

King_Furby

very good game, i have been watching my bro play it. pretty much when he plays it i watch. the looting in this game is fantastic, literally almost any item in the game can be picked up and stored. One unique thing about this game is the inventory and storage system. Your inventory is limited to your strenght and how much you can carry. But storage is unlimited. every item you pick up you can put somewhere, or leave it and it will be there later. You can choose 1 or several locations to store your things. my brother stores everything in a trashbin near a house when exiting vault 101.

The game has quick travel. All main locatiosn you visit are given a map marker. you can travel to these locations instantly at the cost of a few hours going by. This helps when you are off exploring and need to get back to town. though i like how you can't do this if you are under attack.

there are alot of guns in this game. You can being a gun user or go melee and still do just as good. Using Vats if you hit somethign while being undetected it's an instant kill and has cooler cinimatics then just normal criticles.

This game is fricken spookie, some of the areas dark and creapy. there are these goul things in some of the dark areas, you hear them hissing before even seening them.

i am glad to see people like this game. i cant get my bro to use the lazer weapons..grrr

ZK

When he gets Power Armor (as in to use) He'll want energy weapons or big guns one. As Power Armor takes down -2 agility, well, the basic normal kind that is.

Also, I've already found all the Bobbleheads and max level... and to think, I am only one third done with the game. ^.^

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

King_Furby

yuck he went into this other vault. it gets all wierd. I say we as he and i kind of play it together. But there is so much of the map left it's crazy. we only found 2 bobbleheads but then again we have only explored mostly the map. not inside any of the locations. We are trying to play it without any guides or anything. But i really want to see him find the schemitics. He refuses to sell the scrap metal for caps, and he gots like 50 of it.

Power armor looks neat. but we are not at the spot yet when we can actually get into the brotherhood of steel, though we have met them.

Keep all scrap metal and pre war books you can as those you can sell for craps. the books give you like 100 caps per.

Inkidu

I am so behind on my gaming. I don't think I'll ever catch up. I really want to play Fallout 3. One was good but I started playing it too late and it just doesn't keep my interest.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jay

I'm pleasantly surprised by Fallout 3.  At first i didn't want to play it because i had no interest in Oblivion with guns.  So far the game is a lot more fun than i expected.  Even though a lot of stuff is recycled that atmosphere is different enough to make up for that.

King_Furby

Nothing is more rewarding then geting snipe kills with vats. or running into a super mutant brute with a chaingun when you just ran out of ammo.

I like how fallout 3 keeps you at the edge of running out of ammo. Like you have enough but you got to manage your guns. the gouls in the sewers are creepy. those mureluke things are awesome, like a giant walking clam.

ZK

Nothing is more rewarding then being level 20 with Grim Reaper's Sprint. Kill a target in VATS, get all AP back. It's really insane with sniper weapons.

MagicalPen

Fallout 3 is not 'Oblivion with Guns'. Its way deeper then that. Of course there are similarities, with the open-world (and same studio) but the VATS system, they thick plots, the character interaction, locations, combat, leveling system, PIP Boy, etc...make it clearly more then 'oblivion with guns'.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sabby

I'm just glad the level scaling has been axed and the actual levels aren't all the same...

ZK

No comments about my review?

Jay

I think it was pretty well written.  Maybe a little biased.  But that's probably because my views are a bit on the opposite spectrum so that colors my opinion.  As for oblivion with guns, after further play I've decided that its a better oblivion.......with guns.

ZK

I still don't see it as Oblivion with guns, then again, I've played the original DOS versions (and still own) all of the Fallout games. The dialog choices in first person (with important NPCs) branching karma based conversations and such is all the same as it was in those games. Only things as I stated that is truly connecting the two franchises when it comes to Oblivion With Guns is it uses the same, if modified game engine and made by the same company.

But, when it comes to some development, I think both companies of yesteryear took from each other as each title was released close to each other (by a few years). Beth obviously took some interest and pointers from the Fallout franchise after their first two spin-off Elder Scrolls titles failed. It also explains the feverish purchase of the Fallout license. ^.^

Jay

I've never played the previous Fallouts, but I hear they were wonderful.  I guess my main reason for the comparison is that you could easily mod Oblivion to play exactly like #allout 3 minus the vats system.
A lot of people view the Oblivion with guns as an insult.  I like Oblivion and I think Fallout improved a lot on some of the problems Oblivion had.
I just cant wait till the mods being rolling out for the PC.

MagicalPen

I love Oblivion too, but I wouldn't call FO3 'Oblivion with Guns'. Its got a completely different feel to it. The whole system is different. Sure, it might use the same engine and free-world system, but then what does that make a game like Fable II? That uses a free-world system too. (Never played Fable II). At any rate, I think the game is very rich in fresh material, and does not feel like a 'modded' Oblivion.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

ZK

I own all of the above mentioned (even Fable II), but, you really need to play the previous Fallout titles and see for yourself. The only thing that's changed is how you perceive the game world, it feels and plays like Fallout with a new combat system.

And it being made by the same company using the same game engine, it'd be easier to modify Fallout 3 and add Oblivion into it as it's the latest version of the game engine. Oblivion with V.A.T.S. would be quite interesting.

TES and Fallout series had a lot in common when it came to many things, but they are seperate things. Fallout tends to be more microcosmic as TES tends to be macrocosmic. Perhaps that is why I believe the storytelling in Fallout is superior to TES, but both are good games. It's good to see that Bethesda Softworks has brought this franchise under their fold and brought new life to it.

ZK

I will not argue the fact that the two series do share a lot of similarities, but they're clearly not one or the other. Series now, not individual games.

Now I'll list the similarities between the two series before Bethesda Softworks acquired the license; ONLY the numbered series, not the spin-offs from both TES and Fallout.

Similarities:

1] Both are non-linear series that has a "do at your own pace" main quest line, many sub-quests and a create-a-character mode.

2] Both require you to go through a tutorial of sorts to get to your freedom to do anything.

3] Both use a weight system to manage inventory.

4] Both use a world map to track location of areas.

5] Both are quite large worlds with exploration as the main focus.

6] Many characters have dispositions that are important or semi-important and actions (and dialog) can change that disposition.

7] Important NPCs would have voiced dialog and a "talking head".

8] Could trade with many people that would wish to trade, buy services and other important things with a Trade/Barter mode.

9] Both have a "definite" end to the game, but the game doesn't end after you finish the main quest line. You can still explore after.

10] Both were stat based and skill based games, both using levels as a way of gaining new strengths.

11] Combat can be scaled to player preference, be it easier or much more intense.

12] The majority of anything not bolted down can be searched through, taken and kept. Even junk.

13] Both love to hide odd easter eggs from pop culture and books.

Now on to the differences, minus the obvious (one fantasy, one post apoc)

Differences:

1] TES has always had a "save the world" approach, while Fallout has more of a smaller "save the community" approach.

2] TES uses an active skill usage system to gain levels which required repetition in the usage of the skill; this is required to gain a level to increase your statistics. Fallout uses the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system with percentages for the skills that can be increased, as well as the Perk and Trait system to further customize your character (Traits were merged with Perks in Fallout 3). Experience is gained through killing, quests and exploration, not active usage.

3] TES without modification had you go in at alone, a solo game. While Fallout has always had recruitable NPCs as Followers to brave the Wastes.

4] TES introduced gear degrading and requirements to repair gear while Fallout did not possess this feature.

5] As mentioned earlier, TES spans a larger base then Fallout. TES spans over a country while Fallout spans over a single state.

6] TES has always been a first person roleplaying series (barring spin-offs), Fallout was an isometric title.

7] TES used a hybrid real time combat system which was monitored by a limiter (Fatigue and Magick), Fallout used a turn based Action Point system to progress combat, giving the ability to pause combat.

8] TES has always had violence a key focus, but more low key. Fallout has always seen violence as an over the top exercise of Hollywood Style Action. Fallout even possessed a special starting Trait called Bloody Mess (which later became a Perk in Fallout 3) and an ability to change how much gore and violence you see in it.

9] TES has been mild on foul language while some moments in Fallout would make the cast from Blair Witch Project blush. A feature to modify how verbal enemies can be and how foul their language is, can also be adjusted.

10] While TES has been moderately dark over their last two productions (Morrowind and Oblivion), Fallout has always been dark.

11] A sick note, but in Fallout it was possible to kill children, TES you cannot. Many other dark deeds add into it.

12] Quests in TES are more world spanning and consequences for many are not as extreme, Fallout in it's smaller focus, all actions can affect an entire community and thus changing the ending sequence relating of what you've done. This has remained in the third title.

13] TES possesses an enemy encounter scaling while Fallout did not, which resulted in Fallout being much more dangerous and accessible at the same time.

With saying all of that, the new edition of Fallout has a lot of it's old in it, injected with some new and TES formula added to it. So calling it Oblivion With Guns isn't fair to either title as they do obviously have a lot in common, yet are still separate series titles since before the acquisition of the series.

Jay

Very well put ZK.  Most people just spew that since Fallout is different setting it can't be Oblivion with guns.  The first time i've seen somebody actually layout an unbiased comparison of the two.
As a game design major im ashamed that I let myself become biased.

"3] TES without modification had you go in at alone, a solo game. While Fallout has always had recruitable NPCs as Followers to brave the Wastes."
Have you forgotten the greatness that was the Annoying Fan.
Morrowind added mercenaries in one of its expansions, they were pretty useless though.

ZK

I haven't forgotten about it, but I meant as in modification, both fan and official based. Fallout has never received any additions or expansion packs over the course of it's releases. TES has, especially with it's 3rd and 4th series. The annoying fan was more of an "in game joke" then an actual follower.

I wasn't making a comparison to TES 4 or Fallout 3, I was referring to the previous series, TES III and Fallout 1 and 2.

MagicalPen

My "Annoying" Fan died walking down the Mountain, from that Magicians Spire (forget its name) that was an add-on release. I decided to walk the wilderness, so headed down the slope. I took very little damage, but I turned around to see where the Annoying Fan was and he was rolling down the mountain dead. Good riddance if you ask me :)

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Jay

It would be good riddance. If he didnt respawn after 3 days every time he dies. =P

King_Furby

there really isn't that many bad guys in fallout 3, but it seems more. Alot of it is pretty much the same models just altered. Like the raiders are all almost the same except for clothing and weapons. But you don't really notice in fighting and it does not really matter.

I like how you can make some weapon.

Only thing i dislike about this game is the accuracy of weapons and range and how they compare to each other. for example using vats the hunting rifle should be able to hit with more % at a longer distence. Even the sniper rifle isn't more accurate ranged using vats. I don't like that. i also think that soem weapons should be stronger for example the railway rifle.

I love almost every aspect of this game, just those two things anoy me. damage and range accuracy.

ZK

Damage and range is sadly more based on certain Perks, your stat and skill level. Each weapon has a base number, but the condition of the weapon and proficiency with said weapon type matters in the long run.

I can one shot a lot of things with my laser rifle of all weapons and it's only a 22 DMG weapon unmodified at full weapon grade.

Then again, I have Perception 8 and Energy Weapons 95.

Inkidu

I have never played a game so long in one sitting in my life. RE 4 was the old standard. Six hours. Fallout 3 has shattered it with a whopping nine or ten hours. I couldn't put it down.

Oh and keeping with my tradition of staying with names of computer languages
Fallout 3 Male: Pascal

Beauty

.....*stares at her Fallout request thread, sighing sweetly as she listens to 50's music on her Pip Boy*
~x I've been absent for a few years, but I'm back and ready to start new stories! I've refined my writing skills and fixated on new desires/interests - Looking forward to being inspired ;)*X~

My O/O

Inkidu

A lot of the similarities you mentioned, ZK. I would feel disappointed if it wasn't in there. Oh and at least being over encumbered in Fallout 3 doesn't glue you to the spot. That was nice especially seeing as I was getting shot at. ^____^; 

Doomsday

Freaking amazing game. I started out pure evil but now I'm trying to clean up my act, and my drug addictions. I didn't realize it fucked with my S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats :(

Inkidu

Quote from: HPDDJ on November 13, 2008, 09:04:31 PM
Freaking amazing game. I started out pure evil but now I'm trying to clean up my act, and my drug addictions. I didn't realize it fucked with my S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats :(
Go see the doctor. He'll clean you right up, addictions and all.

Beauty

My bad karma character gets addicted so easily *sighs* Whatever is in the needles those doctors use certainly helps!
~x I've been absent for a few years, but I'm back and ready to start new stories! I've refined my writing skills and fixated on new desires/interests - Looking forward to being inspired ;)*X~

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 13, 2008, 10:41:02 PM
My bad karma character gets addicted so easily *sighs* Whatever is in the needles those doctors use certainly helps!
My good character with a few survival twinges of bad. (I had to steal ammo! : ( ) hardly ever gets addicted. I don't pop as much though. I use but only for the cataracts! *Squint squint*

Beauty

Every time my good character steals ammo (because for some reason I have a hard time getting ammo with her...don't know why...) I give the beggars outside Rivet City and Megaton purified water, it gives back karma ^^ so I can keep on a "nice" path.

My O/O

Inkidu

I only pop Med-X, Jet, or Quantum-Cola! :D Maybe some buffout

Beauty

Buffout is the easiest thing for my character to continue getting addicted too *laughs*

My O/O

Inkidu

I don't really need it that much unless I just have to beat the shinola out of something. I typically use small guns and frags. (Mines and grenades.)

Beauty

Same for me. Frag grenades are so amazing when it comes to Super Mutants more than anything else I think..Except one time one threw it back at me before it exploded...That sucked ><

My O/O

Inkidu

I always do a V.A.T.S. throw. The slow down stops them from reacting. Plus it looks cool. :D
Besides small guns are the most easily accessed.
That and all a feral ghoul needs is a double tap from a 10mm pistol. :D

Beauty

Speaking of feral ghouls, have you found the plunger room? *giggles*

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 13, 2008, 11:14:54 PM
Speaking of feral ghouls, have you found the plunger room? *giggles*
Nope.

Beauty

Ohhh goodness, I forget what part it's at but it seriously made me crack up laughing *smiles* How far into the game have you gotten?

My O/O

Inkidu

I'm in the quest with Doctor Li. I have to go to the Jefferson Memorial. I was just taking time out to finish up some secondary quests. Those, and Riley's Rangers. Sometimes the game has no sense of distance. It said their HQ was close to this Hotel. It has to be ten to twenty game miles away! Plus it's downtown so it's through a bunch of tunnels...

Beauty

My evil karma character totally ransacked Reily's Rangers place ^^ and I would have to agree completely with that comment >< There is no concept of proper distance.

My O/O

Inkidu

I can't even get to the Tepid Sewers and the world just decided to make mole rats extinct... sigh. I hate Downtown.

Beauty

The fact that downtown sucks remains throughout history it seems *giggles*

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 13, 2008, 11:27:12 PM
The fact that downtown sucks remains throughout history it seems *giggles*
Honestly they needed some up and down indicator instead of just a marker...

Beauty

I would say I found the subway system incredibly confusing in the game, but subways always manage to baffle me so I suppose that makes it realistic.

My O/O

Inkidu

I know. Enter one way and you never know where you're going to pop out... innuendo aside. 

Beauty

I will admit I've discovered a majority of the cities and such by accident while searching for other ones *laughs* I suppose that's a good thing.

My O/O

Jay

Stop making me want to play.  :(

Beauty

Psh no one's talking to you Megaton weirdo! *smirks, giggling*

My O/O

Jay

Beauty

*giggles* Strike one as in points to me? Oh that comes with the high life in Tenpenny Tower..I automatically win ^^

My O/O

mannik

Yeah, fallout 3 is a really cool game, but my alignment doesn't make much sense to me.

I pick every lock I find (Helps me level up quicker), steal everything I can get my grubby little hands on, and eat everybody I kill (Cannibal perk) and yet, I am considered good for some reason.

I laughed when I got the achievement for hitting lvl 14 with good karma right after gunning down a helpless scavenger because he didn't have any lock picks to sell me after I finally ran out.

It seems like lockpicks get more and more rare as the game progresses for some reason. I remember finding a butt load of them early on, but now that I need them for those verry hard locks I can't find em anywhere.

Inkidu

You must have been a good ole' boyscout! That's the only way I can see.I try not to look at my karma, I want to wing it. Though the sheriff of Megaton is dead, but that was Mr. Burke's (AKA Oblivion town guard.) shot him... I have to remember to go back and see if he's still there. I want the hat...

Beauty

Somehow Mr. Burke's suit became a dress on me......

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 14, 2008, 10:11:38 PM
Somehow Mr. Burke's suit became a dress on me......
Hey, tailoring of the FUTURE! *World of tomorrow infection*

Beauty

I have quick tailoring skills then *laughs* I suppose I can't complain, I look very stylish.

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 14, 2008, 10:18:27 PM
I have quick tailoring skills then *laughs* I suppose I can't complain, I look very stylish.
If I had actually known how to repair at the time I could have put all that powered armor from the Brotherhood into one super-conditioned suit. Nothing like servo-powered plating. :D
Alas, it is leather and biker goggles for I. Not as stylish as the armored 101 jumpsuit and reading glasses but I got my suit shot to cheese. I'm more pissed that I missed the bobble-head on dad's desk when I was one.

ZK

I wouldn't drink Quantum Nuka-Cola. It's a limited number, a quest item and ammunition/schematics for a ultra-powerful grenade. More powerful then a plasma grenade.

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 15, 2008, 12:51:44 AM
I wouldn't drink Quantum Nuka-Cola. It's a limited number, a quest item and ammunition/schematics for a ultra-powerful grenade. More powerful then a plasma grenade.
Thanks for the heads up but I'm sure they'll have a place you could go to get some. They're pretty good about not leaving you out there cold turkey.
Right now I'm trying to build the railway spike rifle, patent pending. :D

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on November 15, 2008, 09:52:28 AMRight now I'm trying to build the railway spike rifle, patent pending. :D

AKA the 'Stake Gun'?  Cuz it stakes the target to a wall?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 15, 2008, 12:20:58 PM
AKA the 'Stake Gun'?  Cuz it stakes the target to a wall?
More fun the irradiating yourself with the fatman, and that's pretty damn fun.

mannik

My personal favorite weapon is the shiskebob. But then again, what's not to like about a flaming sword made from motorcycle parts and a lawnmower blade?

Inkidu

Quote from: mannik on November 15, 2008, 02:06:46 PM
My personal favorite weapon is the shiskebob. But then again, what's not to like about a flaming sword made from motorcycle parts and a lawnmower blade?
I can't get my hands on the motorcycle parts. I'm going with the one that uses a crutch for a stock. "The Handicapper", that's what I'll call it! :D

mannik

Quote from: Inkidu on November 15, 2008, 06:19:41 PM
I can't get my hands on the motorcycle parts. I'm going with the one that uses a crutch for a stock. "The Handicapper", that's what I'll call it! :D

You can find a lot of parts needed for the custom weapons around the 'mine field' area. As far as the motorcycle parts (hand brake, and fuel tank) I just found them lying around parking lots and such. I'm not sure if destroying a motorcycle will cause these parts to fall off or not but it might be worth a try.

Beauty

Raider camps tend to have a lot of what you need, from my experience.

My O/O

Inkidu

Besides the Bob doesn't fit in with my strengths, I'm better with small guns and the stake gun is a small one I suppose. It is called a rifle and it doesn't shoot beams of light. Though I thought it might be neat if they put some kind of lightsaber schematic in the game. That would be funny.

mannik

Quote from: Inkidu on November 15, 2008, 07:29:35 PM
Besides the Bob doesn't fit in with my strengths, I'm better with small guns and the stake gun is a small one I suppose. It is called a rifle and it doesn't shoot beams of light. Though I thought it might be neat if they put some kind of lightsaber schematic in the game. That would be funny.

Funny yes, but it wouldn't fit the futuristic 50's style of the game as starwars came out in the 70's

Inkidu

Quote from: mannik on November 15, 2008, 07:31:03 PM
Funny yes, but it wouldn't fit the futuristic 50's style of the game as starwars came out in the 70's
They have laser pistols. It doesn't have to look sleek and stylish. It just has to have the function. The time frame is irrelevant because even Star Wars happened a long, long time ago...

mannik

Quote from: Inkidu on November 15, 2008, 07:38:36 PM
They have laser pistols. It doesn't have to look sleek and stylish. It just has to have the function. The time frame is irrelevant because even Star Wars happened a long, long time ago...

A long, long time ago but somehow in the future...

I love that line from the Family Guy special...

Inkidu

Space Balls did it first.

Anyways, the point is it could happen. It will probably be modded in later. :D
Right now I really want to shoot stakes into people.

Beauty

If you shot stakes into the Family that would be really ironic >.>

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 15, 2008, 07:46:24 PM
I believe if I shot anyone with stakes people would find it the opposite of the expected outcome. :D That or a crime against humanity, but that's not funny at all. D:

Though I think I should see about making some BC mines, my frags are drying up. If it blows up or shoots metal I love it. if it does both at the same time. What's stronger than love! C:

mannik

Quote from: Beauty on November 15, 2008, 07:46:24 PM

Yes...yes it would...

Beauty

Wow..I'm running with my good karma character back to Rivet City with Dad...and he just picked up a missle launcher off a super mutant...and killed us both >< Way to go Dad!

My O/O

mannik

Quote from: Beauty on November 15, 2008, 08:16:55 PM
Wow..I'm running with my good karma character back to Rivet City with Dad...and he just picked up a missle launcher off a super mutant...and killed us both >< Way to go Dad!

Ha ha ha....

You know you can just fast travel then wait right? he doesn't really need an escort.

Beauty

I can't leave him >< I can't risk [blocks out spoilers here]

My O/O

mannik

Quote from: Beauty on November 15, 2008, 08:21:55 PM
I can't leave him >< I can't risk [blocks out spoilers here]
???
if you are afraid of him dieing, I don't think he can at that point in the game...I tried...it just says he was knocked unconscious.

Beauty

No no no..I know that...*sighs all because she's as corny as Kansas in August* I want to spend as much time with him as I can ^^;; Darn you Liam Neeson! Your voice makes me do these things ><

My O/O

mannik

Oh...I see...

I didn't have that problem...

Beauty

It might be a girl thing *laughs, blushing*

My O/O

Beauty

Plus I adore Liam Neeson so it really doesn't help my situation at all.

My O/O

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Beauty

You have no idea...unless you've seen my request thread *laughs*

My O/O

mannik

Quote from: Beauty on November 15, 2008, 08:46:40 PM
You have no idea...unless you've seen my request thread *laughs*

I have seen that request...It is quite clear you want to do...things...to the man.

Beauty

:P On some level, but I think my idea is more than just smut :P

My O/O

Avi

Gah, this thread really makes me want to get this game RIGHT NOW. >_<  I have to save some games for Christmas, though... choices, choices... CODWAW, Fallout, or EndWar... At any rate, if you had to pick one for me to get, right now, which would you recommend?
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Beauty

My O/O

Beauty

I mean *smiles* You should definitely buy Fallout 3 ^^ It is an excellent investment.

My O/O

mannik

It is fun...and there is plenty to keep you occupied for a while. It would probably help the time between now and christmas go faster...

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 15, 2008, 08:59:32 PM
I mean *smiles* You should definitely buy Fallout 3 ^^ It is an excellent investment.
The most life-ruining sixty bucks (Prewar money) I ever spent.

Beauty

Life ruining in the best way ever ;)

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 15, 2008, 10:18:54 PM
Life ruining in the best way ever ;)
"Bingo, bango, bongo, I'm so happy in the jungle I refuse to go." oh and of course, "All hail the mighty Atom and the Glow!" I think I'm feeling it whenever I get crippled now... D:

Beauty

Hehe ^_^ It's so influential is it not? Very catchy songs.

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 15, 2008, 10:36:54 PM
Hehe ^_^ It's so influential is it not? Very catchy songs.
Yes but very few of them are from the 50's "Anything Goes" is all the way back to the thirties. My dad knows all the songs on the soundtrack. I was a late baby... :D

Doomsday

I'm kind of far into the game and I'm only at level 13. The big plot twist has already happened, if you know what I mean. I just left the vault, again, if that's not a big spoiler.

I used to be "Very Evil", but now I'm neutral.Apparently giving a wastelander a bunch of purified water atones for nuking an entire city.

Inkidu

Quote from: HPDDJ on November 16, 2008, 02:22:09 AM
I'm kind of far into the game and I'm only at level 13. The big plot twist has already happened, if you know what I mean. I just left the vault, again, if that's not a big spoiler.

I used to be "Very Evil", but now I'm neutral.Apparently giving a wastelander a bunch of purified water atones for nuking an entire city.
Penance is as penance does. Hopefully you did all the quests before nuking Megaton. Moria gives you some nice stuff for doing her survival guide. I still, however, cannot get to the tepid sewers and mole rats are becoming more and more scarce.

mannik

Quote from: Inkidu on November 16, 2008, 09:48:58 AM
Penance is as penance does. Hopefully you did all the quests before nuking Megaton. Moria gives you some nice stuff for doing her survival guide. I still, however, cannot get to the tepid sewers and mole rats are becoming more and more scarce.

Having difficulties with the super mutants along the way or simply getting lost?

Inkidu

I finally got there today. It was a manhole cover and I was looking for something bigger.

Destiny Ascension

There is a door to the Sewers....its on the DC water front, near that river which separates Washington from that area with the Quicky Mart and what have you..

Also, I played Fallout 3 recently...LOVED IT! The Fat Man is the best weapon ever...

Fighting a Giant Ant Queen...NO PROB! Just launch a mini-nuke and watch that bitch cook! XD!

The only thing I was kinda pissed about was the few quests, but the main one was pretty emotional for me xD!
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Inkidu

Quote from: Destiny Ascension on November 17, 2008, 02:57:50 PM
There is a door to the Sewers....its on the DC water front, near that river which separates Washington from that area with the Quicky Mart and what have you..

Also, I played Fallout 3 recently...LOVED IT! The Fat Man is the best weapon ever...

Fighting a Giant Ant Queen...NO PROB! Just launch a mini-nuke and watch that bitch cook! XD!

The only thing I was kinda pissed about was the few quests, but the main one was pretty emotional for me xD!
There are probably a lot of quests in the game, but it does tend to keep you focused on an area for a while. So it seems like fewer.

I know. Dad is awesome. I know I've heard the voice actor before but I can't remember where. I know Ron Pearlman does the shtick about, "War, war never  changes."

Beauty

Me too Destiny!! I think it's more emotional for the female players..but it's very emotional nevertheless. I was freaking out at the computer during certain parts ><

I actually found a lot of side quests in the various towns and areas, but my focus was on the main quest the first time so I didn't do a lot of them.

For those residents in Tenpenny Tower, go into Susan Lancaster's room and look through her desk to find something very interesting!

Oh, and Inkidu ^_^ It's Liam Neeson as the voice of the father. He was in Schindler's List, he was Qui-Gon Jinn in Star Wars and Aslan in Narnia.

My O/O

Inkidu

That's it! I knew it. No wonder I had the feeling he was going to say, "My young padwan." XD
I like Pearlman too, I wish he'd get a bigger part.

Destiny Ascension

Quote from: Beauty on November 17, 2008, 03:11:54 PM
Me too Destiny!! I think it's more emotional for the female players..but it's very emotional nevertheless. I was freaking out at the computer during certain parts ><

OMG YEAH!

Especially at that part at Project Purity the second time through, when that bad stuff goes down. I swear I almost felt like crying, I was like jumping against the glass and stuff LOL!
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

Beauty

Me too! I was like "hey..why can't I use my weapons in here...hey...why is the door locked..hey...hey....HEY!!! OHMYGOSH@&#)&!(^!#(&!(&@!!!!" Yeah..I flipped out x_X

My O/O

Methos

Hellboy is in this game? >.> I must play it.
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."

Ons and offs https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13590

ZK

It's emotional all through. I did all the Misc quests and a lot of them are quite emotional. :)

Inkidu

Quote from: Methos on November 17, 2008, 05:00:48 PM
Hellboy is in this game? >.> I must play it.
He only does one soundbite. He did for the first Fallout too.

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 17, 2008, 06:19:56 PM
It's emotional all through. I did all the Misc quests and a lot of them are quite emotional. :)
I know that's one of the things that sets it apart from TES IV. It has more of a real feel. Your not generic hero A. You're Mr. (Or Ms.) Vault 101. Having Three Dog do news bulletins about you is awesome. "Guess what kiddies? It's time for the famous adventures of everyone's favorite hero. The one, the only, Capitol Crusader!" *Ahh, ahh* and the crowd goes wild.

Destiny Ascension

Quote from: ZK on November 17, 2008, 06:19:56 PM

Yeah, I really liked the Temple of the Union one, that was one of my favorite side quests, that and helping out the people in Big Town.

When ever it involves hostages or something like that, I get really into it... dunno why. :P

magnamos

I will definetly name my Char Grognar in the second run. He will be a melee beserk of course :D

Beauty

Hmm does anyone know how to move  the camera in the PC version of the game so that you can see the persons face?

My O/O

mannik

Quote from: Beauty on November 18, 2008, 09:21:29 PM
Hmm does anyone know how to move  the camera in the PC version of the game so that you can see the persons face?

In the 360 version you hold the button to switch perspectives, then use the camera controls to move it around the character.

I assume it would be similar in the PC version.

Inkidu

I want to do an unarmed specialist with maybe a melee secondary. That would be bad ass. Punching out mutants and radscorpions! Woot.

Avi

I just got the game today.  What do tagged skills do for you besides give you a skill bonus at the beginning?

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 18, 2008, 09:58:33 PM
I just got the game today.  What do tagged skills do for you besides give you a skill bonus at the beginning?
That's it. A plus fifteen bonus to the selected skill. Try to play to your SPECIALS, or what you want to do with the character. I use small guns. Almost exclusively. Sometimes I use my super sledge but that's it.

Avi

Ah, okay.  Well I picked Small Guns as one of mine as well.  I believe another was Energy Weapons, and I can't remember the third. X_X  Oh well.  I just got my first side quest from Moira in Megaton.

Destiny Ascension

On my last playthrough I maxed out Science, lockpick, Small Guns, Medicine and Speech I believe.

Inkidu

Quote from: Destiny Ascension on November 19, 2008, 07:35:20 AM
On my last playthrough I maxed out Science, lockpick, Small Guns, Medicine and Speech I believe.
I suppose if you play through just right you could max or near-max all your skills. My repair is getting up there. I just like it because I make railway rifles. Woot!

Beauty

I maxed ou the same Destiny :)! I still can't figure out the camera *sighs*

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 19, 2008, 11:00:55 AM
Look at the controls? I've almost maxed out small guns. I'm so deadly with small arms it's ridiculous. :D

Destiny Ascension

Quote from: Beauty on November 19, 2008, 11:00:55 AM

Great minds think alike ^_^ :)

Yeah, the camera was weird for me at first, but I actually like the 3rd Person View. It kinda feels like a documentary, like your being followed by a camera crew. Plus I've been hardcore into SOCOM and Dead Space lately, so the over-the-shoulder view kinda feels better instead of first person. Though, for melee situations the first person is bar none top notch.

Avi

The most annoying thing is constantly running out of ammo. :( 

MagicalPen

I agree! I mistakenly went to the nearby vault full of crazy people who had no ammo and wasted most of mine on killing them.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

ZK

I never had problems with ammunition, not sure why... and no, I did not do melee primarily.

Inkidu

I've only run out of ammo once, but I bought out Underworld for all the ammo they had. I need more railway spikes for my fun-gun though! :D

Hey and it's my first playthrough too. Scrounger and a decent luck special helps with it though.

ZK

Yeah, I took Scrounger as well. Only weapons I was always short on ammunition were the Big Guns (minus the Gatling Laser). I had enough 10MM ammunition that it was actually in the 8K range. All my Small Guns ammo were within the 1-8K ranges. o.O I also had a crap load of Energy Ammunition too. Mainly due to Enclave and Talon Company always attacking me left and right.

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 19, 2008, 03:22:26 PM
Yeah, I took Scrounger as well. Only weapons I was always short on ammunition were the Big Guns (minus the Gatling Laser). I had enough 10MM ammunition that it was actually in the 8K range. All my Small Guns ammo were within the 1-8K ranges. o.O I also had a crap load of Energy Ammunition too. Mainly due to Enclave and Talon Company always attacking me left and right.
I consider two hundred to be a surplus in all semiautomatic weapons. Five hundred for the A.R. and Submachine gun. You have thousands!  :o

Destiny Ascension

I was always fine with ammo. I used the Hunting Rifle and Sniper Rifle most often during my general travels, and then I'd use a shotgun or Chinese Assault Rifle. I used mines and frags alot for enemies that required a lot of ammo to take down like Deathclaws(mother fuckers!!).

Inkidu

POSSIBLE SPOILER

If I can get my brother to give me some time on the Xbox I'll get to see the leader of the Enclave. Maybe get my first power armor. (Finally got trained. Been looking forward to it for a long while.)

ZK

One quest outcome for "You Gotta Shoot Em In The Head" gets you the strongest Power Armor the T1b Power Armor. Quest Giver is Crowley in The Underworld. He's in the 9th Circle bar.

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 19, 2008, 04:26:48 PM
One quest outcome for "You Gotta Shoot Em In The Head" gets you the strongest Power Armor the T1b Power Armor. Quest Giver is Crowley in The Underworld. He's in the 9th Circle bar.
Sweet. Thanks!

Avi

I typically use the hunting rifle and assault rifles, and I just figured out that super mutants can be a good source of .32 cal ammo.  I can always hunt them if I feel like stocking up. ;D  A.R. is my heavy hitter, if I need it.  And 10mm pistol is desperation.  I'm starting to get more ammo now that I'm working along on the actual quest storyline, and I realized I'd put the difficulty on hard, so I toned it down a tad.  Much less ammo waste-age now. 

ZK

When you get all the keys yourself, don't give them to Crowley, go to the base they lost that woman, go to the area required for the "last key" and bamf, in a strange terminal, you'll see the power armor.

magnamos

I'm using the AntAgonizer Armor for fun now :D

Usually I look into the territory I plan to march through and take weapons with me that would make a good addition. I got my home in Megaton so I usually take it from there. In the south are more Rad Scorpions while in the north are more Mirelurks and Molerats. Raiders are nearly everywhere but Super Mutants for example are only in special places or the Downtown D.C. Ruins. I never saw one roaming around. I take these territorial behaviors of my enemies to plan my routes and weaponry.

Minigun, Flamer - Raider, Mercs, Feral Ghouls
10mm Submachinegun, Power Fist - Animals (Radscorpions, Mirelurks, Hounds)
Hunting Rifle, Shotgun, Rock-It, Power Fist - Super Mutants
Pulse 'Nades 'n Mines - Bots of course!

If I have no idea what to expect I usually take the Hunting Rifle, loads of 'nadies and mines along with the Rock-It Launcher and my Power Fist. I'm quiet handy with the Power Fist and you can make small Minefields if you have to make a quick escape. I got plenty of ammo for the Hunting Rifle and it has a good accuracy so I can deal with tough enemies by aiming for vital parts and it's not that bad to fail one or two shots. Every failed shot with .203 hurts badly you know (I'm really really short on that one. Got like 40 Rounds). If something tough appears you can cripple it with the Hunting Rifle to slow it down and bomb it back to it's mother with the Grenades. For everything else there is the Rock-It Launcher just because it has unlimited Ammo. You're fighting on the world's biggest Junkyard of all times and Junk is your ammo. Seriously, if you run out of ammo with the Rock-It Launcher you have to be blind...

Inkidu

I use the 10mm pistol when fighting feral ghouls ( I think I moved up to the submachine gun because of roamers and glowing ones.) I can double-tap them in the head and they usually go down.

Seven Mysterious Stranger Visits. Dude's a life saver sometimes. :D

Avi

Quote from: magnamos on November 20, 2008, 03:46:28 AM

Super Mutants for example are only in special places or the Downtown D.C. Ruins. I never saw one roaming around.

I ran into a pair of them when I was doing the Blood Ties sidequest.  At the old drive in movie theater just east of Arefu.  Be warned, one of them has a frickin' missile launcher, so be prepared with stimpaks if you get clipped.  I took that bastard down with a few .32 rounds to the face.  I never get tired of seeing a Super Mutant's head explode. XD 

And yeah, I use my 10mm for taking out litte piddly enemies like Molerats, bloat flies, or Feral Ghouls.  Standard equipment for me is Hunting Rifle as my main weapon, A.R. as the heavy duty, and 10mm as back-up.  I usually have a few 'nades, but I hardly use them unless I'm desperate.

Inkidu

My custom-made railway rifle is my heavy hittter. It almost always cripples with one hit, and is nice for piercing power armor or tough carapaces. Plus it makes a train whistle when fired. If that's not badass I don't know what is. :D

Avi

Heh, I'll have to find the schematic for that thing, then.  I have a few railway spikes from killing Super Mutants, but I don't know of any good sources for them yet.

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:15:26 PM
Heh, I'll have to find the schematic for that thing, then.  I have a few railway spikes from killing Super Mutants, but I don't know of any good sources for them yet.
Me either but if I had to make a guess. Any metro tunnels or robocorp factories would be a good bet. I've almost compiled enough material for another so I can do cheap repair, but I need more spikes. Other than that it's insane.

Avi

The Rock-It Launcher... expensive schematic.  Is it worth it?

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:23:23 PM
The Rock-It Launcher... expensive schematic.  Is it worth it?
I wouldn't know. I don't do big guns. Lack of finesse turns me off. 

Avi

Gotcha.  Well, I think I'll look into it on my next run-through.  For now... the train rifle sounds nice. :P  Where do you get the schematic for it?

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:33:08 PM
Gotcha.  Well, I think I'll look into it on my next run-through.  For now... the train rifle sounds nice. :P  Where do you get the schematic for it?
I don't know. I must have picked it up as a quest reward or something. I know you can't make it without it, but I just don't remember :P

Avi

I'm assuming that a high repair skill is a must for making good custom weapons, right? 

mannik

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:37:53 PM
I'm assuming that a high repair skill is a must for making good custom weapons, right? 

Having a high repair skill is just a must...

ALL your weapons will benefit greatly.

Inkidu

Quote from: mannik on November 20, 2008, 12:41:35 PM
Having a high repair skill is just a must...

ALL your weapons will benefit greatly.
This is true, mine is around fifty or so with some perks, and it came out half conditioned. I need to get some lunch boxes and cherry bombs and make some bottle cap mines. They're so fun.

Avi

Heh, or you could make them and sell them to buy ammo or stimpaks. ;)

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 12:57:41 PM
Heh, or you could make them and sell them to buy ammo or stimpaks. ;)
Nah I actually make a nice living selling packages and cartons of cigarettes. It would be so badass if you could smoke one, but no surgeon general says you smoke you die. You can become a chronic alcoholic but not smoke a damn cigarette. 

Avi

Ohhhh, yes, I have a ton of those from venturing through the tunnels to the Capitol Mall.  I must sell those too. Lol.

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 01:09:18 PM
Ohhhh, yes, I have a ton of those from venturing through the tunnels to the Capitol Mall.  I must sell those too. Lol.
I want to smoke them and take a bunch of med-x with some whiskey! The apocalypse is depressing. Though I have to admit going through Paradise Falls with the 10mm machingun and killing slavers were awesome! Plus taking a pistol to the leader. I got to remember to sell his finger. Needless to say, Paradise Falls is no more.   

Avi

Is getting ranks in Barter worth it?  Does it really help you get better prices for things, or does it not really give you much?

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 01:21:59 PM
Is getting ranks in Barter worth it?  Does it really help you get better prices for things, or does it not really give you much?
I haven't really put a lot into barter but it does effect buying a selling a lot, from what I hear.

Avi

I know right now I'm only getting about 50% of what things are worth when I sell them.  Might as well put all my skill points into Barter when I next level-up to see what happens.

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 01:30:55 PM
I know right now I'm only getting about 50% of what things are worth when I sell them.  Might as well put all my skill points into Barter when I next level-up to see what happens.
Yeah mines about twenty. I think one around fifty will break even.

Avi

Question:  If Lucas Simms got killed by Burke, can you still disarm the bomb in Megaton and get your house?

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 01:38:55 PM
Question:  If Lucas Simms got killed by Burke, can you still disarm the bomb in Megaton and get your house?
Yep. His son drops off the reward. Take his swag though and store it. It's not that great but the hat is top notch for savvy looks! :D Plus he has a Chinese A.R.

Avi

Heh, no cowboy hat for me.  Motorcycle helmet and raider armor, ftw. :P 

Destiny Ascension

I liked using the Regulator Duster and Shady Hat, they just looked so awesome from 3rd person.

That or Recon Armor from the Brotherhood of Steel for the last mission. Even though it says to let the tin can do the work, I still want payback from them bastards! :P

Beauty

We should all get screenshots of our characters and post them ^^

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 20, 2008, 03:11:36 PM
We should all get screenshots of our characters and post them ^^
I'm on the 360 no screenshots.

Avi

Same here... my guy looks like a homeless biker. :P

Inkidu

Talon combat armor, biker goggles, and Red's bandanna.

Beauty

My O/O

Destiny Ascension

I have Ps3...I'll see if I can take a picture or something. :P

Avi

Okay, where on earth is the entrance to Tepid Sewers? :(

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 20, 2008, 07:03:46 PM
Okay, where on earth is the entrance to Tepid Sewers? :(
Follow it as close as you can. You're looking for a manhole cover. It's very out-of-the-way.

ZK

The Strength Bobblehead is in Lucas Simms' house by the way. Be sure to pick that up.

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 21, 2008, 06:44:33 AM
The Strength Bobblehead is in Lucas Simms' house by the way. Be sure to pick that up.
Well if you blew up Megaton... um well don't worry, be happy!

Avi

Burke was an asshole, so I decided to report him to Simms. :P

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 21, 2008, 11:05:24 AM
Burke was an asshole, so I decided to report him to Simms. :P
You got Simms killed then, but it's good karma.

Avi

Indeed I did, but I still disarmed the bomb.  And I got his chinese Assault Rifle. XD  On another note, where can I get fission batteries?  I need one to make my Railway Rifle.

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 21, 2008, 11:45:50 AM
Indeed I did, but I still disarmed the bomb.  And I got his chinese Assault Rifle. XD  On another note, where can I get fission batteries?  I need one to make my Railway Rifle.
Around. They're kind of random. They're not the hardest thing to find. Pressure cookers are tougher.

Avi

I got one of those in Minefield, along with a crutch.  Already had the steam assembly thing.

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 21, 2008, 11:50:46 AM
I got one of those in Minefield, along with a crutch.  Already had the steam assembly thing.

Robots might have them, and robot assembly areas, stuff like that. You might even be able to buy one if you're lucky.

Avi

Got one by killing the Protectron in the Super Mart.  Now, where can I get railroad spikes too? :P  I wanna give this bad boy a shot.

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 21, 2008, 12:09:11 PM
Got one by killing the Protectron in the Super Mart.  Now, where can I get railroad spikes too? :P  I wanna give this bad boy a shot.
Heck if I know. I need some too. :P it whistles like a train. Woot woot.

mannik

Quote from: aviationrox on November 21, 2008, 12:09:11 PM

everywhere honestly. They are typically on or near shelves and such.

Destiny Ascension

You can save Simms from Burke quite easily. At low level its hard because regardless of what you do, he targets Simms immediately and first, and you don't do much damage. I waited for a while until I had a Shotgun, then I just stood right in front of him until he pulled his pistol, and blew his head off.

Simple. Negotiation in its purest form. :D

ZK

You know, you can keep from reporting him to Simms, simply disarm the bomb, tell Simms you disarmed it and Burke leaves without a fight. ^.^

There, now you have Simms still alive, access to his home and no blown up Megaton.

King_Furby

The level limit really has become anoying, not even half way though the game and at the max level already. the game is more dull when you cant level anymore, still fun just not as fun.

There is a level max cheat. Where you can set the max level you can reach to like 40. But the problem is after you do level with it you can assign stat points but when you go to select a perc and hit done the game locks.

I wish the game makers would release a patch that allows a higher level limit.

Has anyone use the rock-it-launcher? i will tell you. it's amazing. its basically unlimited ammo. and what you fire can be picked back up. and the ammo you socket into it becomes weightless.

Beauty

I don't want to give away spoilers, but Jericho is a very funny character *giggles* Just to keep things clean >.>

My O/O

Beauty

Quote from: ZK on November 21, 2008, 05:49:25 PM
You know, you can keep from reporting him to Simms, simply disarm the bomb, tell Simms you disarmed it and Burke leaves without a fight. ^.^

There, now you have Simms still alive, access to his home and no blown up Megaton.

If you're quick you can shoot Burke while he stands before he can take out his gun ^^ Then you get his clothes! Which are very very stylish.

My O/O

Doomsday

Anyone use the shishkebab? Beautiful weapon, I must say.  8)

Inkidu

Quote from: HPDDJ on November 22, 2008, 12:40:04 AM
Anyone use the shishkebab? Beautiful weapon, I must say.  8)
What classification of weapon is that?

Destiny Ascension

Quote from: Inkidu on November 22, 2008, 06:41:44 AM
What classification of weapon is that?

I believe its a mix of Melee and Fire, correct?

Doomsday

Quote from: Destiny Ascension on November 22, 2008, 09:26:13 AM
I believe its a mix of Melee and Fire, correct?

A big flaming sword, it is.

Inkidu

Well fire only matters if you're fighting the fire ants.

However I thought all weapons were categorized like this:

Unarmed
Melee
Small guns
Big guns
Energy weapons

Oh and I beat the main story! All good! I didn't cry but it was that kind of moment *Hides tears* :D

Beauty

I cried...a lot..and yelled a lot at my computer :( *pouts, curling up in a corner*

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 23, 2008, 12:08:12 AM
I cried...a lot..and yelled a lot at my computer :( *pouts, curling up in a corner*
I didn't get sad earlier. I just beat some heads in with my super-sledge. After taking Jet, Psycho, Buffout, Med-X of course. That plasma hurts.)

Avi

Anyone else running into freezing problems with the 360 version?  My game keeps freezing up when the Enclave helis arrive at Project Purity...

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on November 23, 2008, 11:37:38 AM
Anyone else running into freezing problems with the 360 version?  My game keeps freezing up when the Enclave helis arrive at Project Purity...
I've had it twice. On different parts. A hard reset always worked though. Let it cool for ten minutes or so.

Avi

Hmmm, okay... it happened last night, and it happened again this morning, though.

ZK

It not so much a heating issue that it is the cache issue. Fallout 3 uses the same cache methods Oblivion did. You need to clean the cache. Hold RB, LB and X while the game is booting up to clear the cache.

Avi

So do that when I first turn my XBOX on?

ZK

Do that when your game starts to load. Not when your XBOX 360 console starts.

If you keep having a lot of problems, go to your Memory section and Press Y on the HD symbol and then press X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. Once you do this a messsage will appear saying: Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?

Performing this function will also clear any software updates.

Avi

Ah, okay.  Thank you much, ZK. :)

Avi

I got myself a Brotherhood of Steel Paladin to follow me around now.  She's pretty awesome, she wields a Super Sledge, and I also kitted her out with a Sniper Rifle. XD  Can't wait to see her in combat.

Doomsday

If you remember Sticky from Little Lamplight, I decked him out in full Enclave Power Armor, and a minigun. He dies pretty quickly still, but it's awesome anyways.

Avi

Anyone else find it mildly amusing that the slaves at Temple of the Union seem to worship Old Abe as a god?

magnamos

I think it's much more amusing that the people in Megaton worship an atomic bomb as there god

Beauty

I find it really weird that Mr. Burke is sending me love letters after I used the Black Widow skill to convince him not to blow up Megaton...

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 28, 2008, 12:40:46 PM
I find it really weird that Mr. Burke is sending me love letters after I used the Black Widow skill to convince him not to blow up Megaton...
Did you still get the Tenpenny Tower's Suit? I found Lady Killer to be very biased and maybe even sexist. I never did anything remotely interesting with it.

ZK

Lady Killer/Black Widow are in fact biased/sexist on both ends. You're a casanova set out on the destruction of others.

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 30, 2008, 10:36:30 PM
Lady Killer/Black Widow are in fact biased/sexist on both ends. You're a casanova set out on the destruction of others.
I'm not getting it on my next play through there are better perks. 

Sabby

Quote from: Avi on November 23, 2008, 04:58:31 PM
I got myself a Brotherhood of Steel Paladin to follow me around now.  She's pretty awesome, she wields a Super Sledge, and I also kitted her out with a Sniper Rifle. XD  Can't wait to see her in combat.

Dude, she looks like Will Smith... or his Grandma XD

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 30, 2008, 10:36:30 PM
There are less people to interact with as a male with the perk. Also there are more male enemies than females so it's a very one-sided perk.

consortium11

I've actually been replaying Fallout 3 a fair amount recently, partly to see if I really gave it a fair shake last time... as I really really disliked it.

Thoughts a second time around?

It's still not great, but not as bad as I remembered it being.

The continuity is completely broken betwee Fallout 1/2 and this and doesn't hold up on a logical level. This is a bit of a fanboy protest, but still, if you're doing th sequel to one of the beloved RPG frachises, you should at least be able to keep it roughly within the guidelines. And that's without the fact that it lacks the "feel" of either of the earlier games... and Fallout 2 was criticised for lacking the feel of the first.

The plot doesn't make sense in the slightest and is outrageously railroaded... which severely limits roleplay value.

There are some huge bugs/glitches in there. Some are gamebreaking requiring massive save/load style play to get around. Others are frustrating... I came across the levitating Deathclaw about 6 times (when a Deathclaw just suddenly flies into the air and disappears).

The vast majority of quests are pretty banal, consisting of fetch/carry quests with slightly different bad guys to kill each time. There are some gems in there, but they're not as developed as they could be. There never seems to be a real consequence to whatever choice you make. It also feels like there could be so much more. Take megaton... read moriarty's notes... and other than the drug dealer plot there's little you could do. There's a seemingly simple quest between the "good" bar and the "bad" bar (so simple it was even in Fallout 2...)... but there's nothing.

Gameplay is pretty much run and gun. Sneaking is of limited use, Speech seems to almost entirely be about getting yourself a bigger reward and your responses only ever seem to break down into 3 options: Boy Scout, neutral and arsehole. Hell, comparing the way you convince Eden to blow himself up and the way you convinced the master in Fallout 1 is almost sad as you see how the dialogue has regressed. Let alone if you throw in talking about Jet creation in Fallout 2.

The way karma has been changed (and reputation removed) doesn't make sense. Hell... you kill all the ghouls who murdered the residents of Tenpenny and you lose karma? I lose karma for kill a group of mass murderers...? And that's without the issue that why would the people in Rivet City care that I stole all the food from the Republic of Dave (without anyone seeing)... and how would they know? The old reputation (for how each area saw you) and karma (for the good/bad you actually did) was far superior.

And the ending. Oh god the ending.

I had fun replaying it. There's a certain satisfaction of the slow motion VATS headshot that sends an opponent flying, or pinning an arm to a wall (although it gets tiring pretty quickly) and wandering round the destroyed area just checking out the sights is still pretty awesome. But I can't really play for more than an hour at a time without getting bored...

tesseractive

Quote from: consortium11 on May 03, 2009, 05:23:31 PM
Speech seems to almost entirely be about getting yourself a bigger reward and your responses only ever seem to break down into 3 options: Boy Scout, neutral and arsehole.

Ouch. I was curious to try this out eventually, but that alone is a complete dealbreaker. Thanks for saving me the money.
~ Tessa ~

We are never not what we are, but we are never not becoming what we will be.

consortium11

The dialogue's a step above Oblivion's... but not by a huge amount.

Occasionally a high speech skill will allow you to skip some combat or get around a quest, but there's a real limited complexity to it. The game is at heart about shooting things and making limbs fly off.

Inkidu

If dialogue alone influences your purchase decision then so be it but I'm telling you right now, the only better dialogue you'll find in a rpg on the market today is Mass Effect. However, the dialogue in Fallout 3 is fully voiced over, and it's not the same four or five people like in Oblivion. It's not as good as the original Fallout's your-stats-affect-what-you-say mechanic, however they took the awesome game with crappy graphics and made it an awesome game that has a fully explorable free-form world with stunning and surrealistic. The VO is very solid and it has Liam Neeson!

You only really need a ten percent speech skill and a penchant to save often for that guarantees you have a one and ten chance.