Another kind of contest

Started by alahendra, June 23, 2006, 09:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alahendra

I remember awhile back someone asking if people could enter a story into the contest if they had collaborated on it with someone else.  I can understand the reason why the answer was no, but it got me to thinking--what about having every so often an award where members could nominate a 'best thread' and then after so many threads were nominated, there could be a vote?  The people who won wouldn't especially have to have their handles in a special color, but I do think it would be a neat way to acknowledge some of the great stories going on here at Elliquiy.  I can think of several I've been following that I would gladly nominate for something like that...

What do you think God/desses? (And others, although of course it is up to Lilac ultimately)
"You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan
Designed and directed by his red right hand..."

Os & Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5351.0

MagicalPen

Sounds like it could be a fun thing to do. Problem with it is that a lot of threads exceed 10 - 15 pages, so if the judges are reading all of them, it could take them a while to do so, especially since every ongoing thread gets added to every day.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

alahendra

Well, yeah that could be an issue, but I think it still might be neat to try it out.  Maybe only once every 6 months or so.

Sugarman (hal)

what about creating a contest that limits the pages to 5 or 6 pages involving two (at least) people.

judged on story idea and content. Must have a begging set up and a ending.
"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

My On/Off's

alahendra

Or maybe an excerpt from a thread? 

Sugarman (hal)

Quote from: alahendra on June 23, 2006, 09:52:23 PM
Or maybe an excerpt from a thread? 

yes better... someone then can't stage a thread.
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's

MagicalPen

An excerpt could work, though i'd limit it to the 6000 word limit that exists on the Story Submissions.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

alahendra

Maybe instead of nominating existing threads, it could be added to the contest that is already there.  People could write threads to enter that are limited to so many words, or so many pages (maybe 6 to 8) and that follow the theme of the taboo/fragrance of the month.

Lilac

Well the contest itself doesn't seem very popular ;_;  I am open to suggestions though.

An "Iron Roleplay" contest could be interesting >_>

MagicalPen

Yeah..i noticed that. I think i was one of two to post an entry, and the only one with a story (the other was a poem).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sugarman (hal)

Quote from: Lilac on June 24, 2006, 10:56:03 AM
Well the contest itself doesn't seem very popular ;_;  I am open to suggestions though.

never heard the term "Iron Roleplay" before. What is that?
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's

MagicalPen

Like Iron Chef...the TV show. Basically the challenger takes on one of the 4 reigning champions. Have to use the same foods to make a meal, and the judges decide who wins. If challenger wins, he becomes Iron Chef.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sugarman (hal)

thanks..like king of d hill thing.  ;D
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's

alahendra

Quote from: Lilac on June 24, 2006, 10:56:03 AM

My guess is that the contest is not as popular as it might be because Elliquiy is for the most part a collaborative writing space.  Another reason, I think, that it might be neat to try out a roleplaying thread based competition.  With rules of course, so the threads don't get out of hand length wise.

:)

Purple

Could you do something like once a month everybody can vote for their favorite story/game according to the categories they are in?  There could be different groups as well like voting for the best story, the best writing, the best role-playing for example.  The rules would be something like having to be at least x pages long so it would be fairly well established and a game could only win once a year or some limit maybe, though I hate to penalize a game if it's that good.  And there doesn't need to be just a few judges.  Instead the awards are chosen by us, the people that make E so great and a wonderful place to be, according to what we read.  All would be needed is a thread or a pm account (to remain anonymous this would be the best idea) and a person to tally the votes and announce the winners.  I like math and such, so I could maybe help with this part if we did something along these lines.  Also, I could create a blank form to cut and paste according to the categories and classes to make everybody's vote look the same to be easier for the person tallying votes.
There's something very sexy about being submissive. Because your guard is down, you have to totally surrender to something like that. --Eva Longoria

Moondazed

An observation regarding the current contest... could the rules and flavor of the month be posted as stickies in the entry thread?  I have an idea for a story for this month, but am having trouble finding the rules.  I found the flavor in the announcement thread.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~