Spartacus: War of the Damned (Started, Romans needed)

Started by Primarch, February 04, 2013, 04:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

Well I'm using James Purefoy as my Legatus, that would be a problem.

bubby

Oops. LOL!

They can be long lost twins?  ::)

I kid!

Kristen

Quote from: Primarch on February 21, 2013, 04:17:57 PM
Well I'm using James Purefoy as my Legatus, that would be a problem.

Aaah hehe... I guess the photo loaded a little slower. Does that sometimes on this computer. I scanned through the 7 pages for photos to make sure I didn't see him already in use lol. I really should wait a few more seconds before scrolling down.

That's no problem. I can find another model for it. I'll change name and see if anyone is using the older 'Octavian'...

Well... that was embarrassing haha. Anything in the backstory or skill set that you would find out of place?

- Kristen -
Ons/Offs | (NEW) Apologies and Absences

Kristen

Octavian Quote of the day!

QuoteYou should know that when we are married, I shall on occasion beat you. With my hand... A light whip... When I do so you must not think you have offended me. I do it because it gives me sexual pleasure. So remember that and don't be upset.

Hehe... Oh good... I'm glad he went through the process of clearing that up. Things could have been... confusing. I see him as the ideal slave owner now hehe.  >:)

- Kristen -
Ons/Offs | (NEW) Apologies and Absences

Odanrav

The group seems to be struggling some out of the gate, but figured I'd throw a character into the mix since I've been working on it. Anyway, I hope he's found acceptable and I would appreciate any feedback or other advise anyone wants to offer about his background, or how  he may fit into the story.

Name: Drestus the Bloodthirsty

Faction: Rebels

Position High ranking lieutenant and self appointed torturer/executioner (if that’s ok with the leaders, I‘ll make him whatever is needed really)

Nationality: Born in the Italian countryside to a Celtic slave mother and unknown father.

Appearance: 6’0” and 180 lbs. of  lean, trained, and powerful muscle. His figure may look somewhat “lanky” because of a long wingspan, but has very natural strength, especially striking power and impressive balance and coordination.

Personality: Many might think of Drestus as unstable, dangerous, and on the edge of sanity. He however thinks himself completely sane, showing a innate ability to switch between a well spoken individual seemingly capable of reason to a blood lusting animal doing many deeds even the most wicked of men would be wary of. He possesses a quick witted tongue, and understanding of military stratagem and philosophical thinking. A disconcerting overlay to the cold hearted beast who yearns for blood and death in his heart.

Equipment: He carries two gladii nestled on each hip, and in times when he knows he’s going into combat (or to torture prisoners) he dawns his notorious spiked leather cestuses on each hand, blood stained from the deaths of dozens of unfortunate opponents. In most cases he wears Murmillo styled armor, excluding the helm which he believes is only an impairment to sight and movement.

Skills: Early on in his official training once he’d become old enough Drestus took an affinity to the Dimachaerus, or duel weilding, gladiator fighting style. He loved the feeling of having deadly tools in both hands and he excelled in their precise use. Eventually however, he bored of easily defeating the poultry competition his small ludus offered him and decided to take up a second style. He chose to take up the spiked cestus as a secondary weapon, and would stay out in the training courtyard after the rest of the slaves had been allowed to rest for the remainder of the day and continue training, sometimes till after dark. Drestus loved the brutality associated with the cestus, as well as the intimidation factor. He reached a point of excelling in their bloody use and even integrating them into his normal Dimachaerus style and getting used to holding a gladius in a cestus weilding hand, so that even if he were somehow disarmed he would stay deadly.

Backstory: Drestus was born in a ludus to one of the whores of the house, a Celtic slave, and a father of unknown origin. Drestus always suspected it may have been the Dominus of the house himself, but had no proof and it was just as likely to be another slave or some other random Roman who’d used his whore mother. All in all however, he never truly cared about his parentage, shifting his focus entirely to training and becoming a gladiator after his mother died of fever when he was only nine.

Drestus was bathed in blood and battle from childhood. Thus producing the fearsome warrior he became. His ludus was very small and located several miles south of the city of Capua. His dominus was of low station and despite Drestus’s ability it was rare for him to procure a match in games, often times having to travel far away to join lesser games. Over the course of his rare competitions Drestus proved to be more and more dominant as he gained experience and confidence after each easy victory. His combination of agility, precision, and a sadistically brutal streak were too much for the riff raff he was forced to face.

In recent years, fate became kinder to him as his stock in games and popularity began to meteorically rise. His dreams of glory in the arena were becoming a reality. His dominus saw Drestus as his only viable asset to legitimize his ludus, and began advertising him as so in major cities such as Capua and Croton among others of his finest gladiator’s ability. Going so far as fabricating his own legend and applying the title of “The Bloodthirsty Celt” or simply “Bloodthirsty” to his name in an attempt to pique interest. One such Roman aristocrat contested such claims, and in return the dominus boasted Drestus could defeat the finest gladiator the small coastal town in which the games were taking place without using a gladius or other proper weapon. His boast was scoffed at, but eventually accepted.

A month later, Drestus arrived and walked into the small arena armed with only his cestuses. During the bout Drestus experienced the sensation of having his own blood spilled for the first time during official contest, but would go on to win in brutally famous fashion. He won by first disarming his Murmillo oppenent of sword and shield, pinning the poor soul to the ground, and then proceeding to beat the man do death. By the end, what used to be  the gladiator’s face was nothing but a crushed mess of brains and skull.

The first step on Drestus’s road to glory and fame had been taken. In the ensuing months Drestus’s activity in games greatly shot up, as his dominus placed him in every competition he could manage. So much so talk was beginning to rise at the possibility of Drestus taking on a larger role in the games of nearby Capua and facing some of the most prestigious gladiator’s the city had to offer. However it never came to be. Soon after, Spartacus and his lot rebelled against Batiatus and fled from Roman occupation. Not but a few days later the small band of rebels descended onto Drestus’s remote ludus under cover of night and liberated it.

Notably, Drestus did not join the fight when his fellow slaves were freed and given weapons to help finish off the rest of the guards and stood idly. Afterwards, when the fighting was done Drestus, being recognized as the finest gladiator there, was offered the chance to off his former dominus. After hesitation Drestus removed his head.

Since then, Drestus has served the rebel cause, though has never been noted as being the most zealous follower of it. And has possibly been one of the more outspoken rebel gladiators in his belief that to face Rome’s might is a futile effort, and assures death. Despite his doubts, he still find enjoyment in the fighting. Particularly after the battles are over. He’s taken a liking to claiming captured Roman soldiers and civilians and “interrogating” them in his own unique and bloody ways. He does so partially to find out if there are any leaders among Romans yet alive of any worth that might be used for bargaining, and he also does it because he simply enjoys it. Most recently after the fall of Sinuessa, Drestus took up residence in the former main Roman barracks of the city and retrofitted it into a prison to hold captured Romans suspected of any worth, and torture them one by one.

bubby

Bron

Have need of a tactician on the Roman side? I have a bit of experience with the legioneering and I'm a huge fan of the show.

bubby

Quote from: Bron on February 25, 2013, 06:30:44 AM
Have need of a tactician on the Roman side? I have a bit of experience with the legioneering and I'm a huge fan of the show.

I would PM your idea to Primarch, Bron. He's the main GM, and he's basically got the Roman side.