-Pathfinder- “Finders Keepers” (Interest Check & Info)

Started by Sabriel, June 07, 2011, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysterica

Rhaella Stormbringer

[Floatleft][/float][url=http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8759]http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8759

Rhaella had been born in a village just outside of Vera-Tre.  Her mother had always lived there, her family having moved outside of the forest centuries before due to the celestial blood which ran through their veins.  They didn't want to be singled out for not following Denev, but instead serving the Gods more directly.

Rhaella could not very well remember her father as he had left them when she was still just a baby, but as she had never really known him, she had no reason to grieve his departure, especially as she had shown signs of being capable in arcane spell casting so much of her free time was taken up with trying to learn to control the powers inside her.

She was taken to a wizard school near Lokil and while she had trouble in many of her classes due to the simple fact that she was a sorcerer and couldn't learn spells out of books like the others in her class, but she did very well in practical exams due to her lack of need to prepare spells beforehand.

In the end she was expelled from the school when it was decided that she was no wizard, but was indeed a sorceress and Rhaella and her mother moved back to their previous home.

When Rhaella reached womanhood, her mother told her of her celestial blood, and how that was most likely where she received her powers from.  From there, Rhaella decided to venture out on her own, using her powers to right some of the wrongs in the world and help the people, eventually heading to Shelzar in the hopes they might need some sort of guards for a merchants vessel or provide some other fitting work for her, especially as the city was one of the few that sorcerers weren't looked down upon quite so badly...

Isengrad

Blaze touched Fighter of Denev

His family made their home in the fertile valley of the Scar, the lone hospitable place within the unforgiving heat of the Sweltering plains. As a child his mother was his world, his father.. well he didn't really care for his father. Leo was always getting into trouble in some way or another. At age 10 during one such adventure when he was disobeying his mother yet again,he ventured up to the surface to explore the plains.The heat was intense,but he did not mind in the least. On the horizon a firestorm raged,common occurrence in the plains. The sight was amazing, the heat washing of of it reached him even from so far away. The wind eventually uncovered strange tablet on the ground and Leo could not make heads or tails of it. As he was inspecting the strange stone tablet,and getting a headache to boot, hes aw movement in the grass out of the corner of his eye. The boy panicked and quickly fled from the area, in his rush he fell and struck his head on a rock.. he could make out the vague image of his mother before he passed out.

It was found out a little while after that incident that he had contracted the Slarecian Language Virus. This caused two major changes that day: first of which was he could no longer express himself without risking infection to others, and second was that his father became a cruel abusive bastard. The man was already a drunk before the incident, but the shame and fear consumed him and he grew not only to hate Leo but also his wife who continued to care for him. Over the years he got more violent, he would beat them more and more. Leo's world was falling apart and he was suffering from mounting levels of stress, sometimes the only thing that would help him get to sleep was staring into the softly flicking flame of the candle beside his bed. Six years passed like that until one night Leo awoke with a start, another nightmare filled with images he could not understand, to find his mothers cold body on the floor with that bastard passed out in a chair next to her with a broken bottle in his hands. Leo was nu,b as he picked up a shard of the bottle and pressed it to his fathers throat, he did  not even register the feel of the blood as it washed over his hand. Smashing a oil lamp on the floor he set the place ablaze. he stood outside with tears streaming down his face until the last embers of that house of pain were blown away by the night air. Then he ran, ran into the plains.. the heat enveloping like it was a old friend. He ran until his lungs burned, his vision blurred and he collapse in the dry grass...sure he was going to die.

The Mother of Spirits must have been watching over him that night, for he once again opened his eyes to concerned faces hovering above him. A merc group based in Fangsfall happened upon him just as the sun was creeping over the horizon. To his pleasant surprise he found he could speak the common tongue once again, though he felt something else had changed about him. He was old enough to fight, and since he did not have a home they let him stay and trained him. He still had the nightmares, but he was beginning to understand them.. to understand the change that was going on inside of him. It was during a job that it happened, Leo was hurt.. and bleeding from a gash on his arm. needing to stop the flow of blood he intended to heat up his blade and press it to his skin, as he started the fire a burst of symbols and images ran through his mind. When he was lucid again the fire was pulling towards him. he watched in awe as the flames seemed to leap towards the wound and get swallowed up by it... closing it without pain and without scar. Faced with the unknown once again, he ran. He ran back to the plains, to that heat that embraced him like a brother. It was there he learned to survive, he learned to control this new ability. The fire that always calmed him, that was always his most comforting friend was now a powerful ally... surely this must be a gift from the Mother of Spirits Denev.

original artwork by karabiner

Sabriel

OK neat so far the proposed characters stand at

-Ranger of Tanil
-Fighter/Cleric of Tanil
-Rogue (Fugitive/Investigator)
-Celestial Sorcerer of Madriel
-Fighter/Pyro of Denev
-Barbarian of the Beastlords

I also have some other concepts being proposed to me via PM and such, but since those are not entirely decided upon yet I won't list them down.

Zaer Darkwail

A question tough from curious; Would be there something special to be playing as soulknife. Compared other psion classes soulknife has no 'powers' expect all surround in conjuring blade out of nothing (so they would also see visions and stuff and suffered language curse)? Could Soulknife perhaps converted to somesort offshoot sneaky arcane class (so conjuring the blade becomes magical effect than psionic)? The things which ask psionic focus could be just asked to spend full round (or move action with a feat) to 'charge up' their arcane powers to able benefit from such things?

Anyways I have concept for soulknife mercenary who was originally ordinary weaponsmith who suddenly conjured mysterious blade as manifestation of his powers, spending time in self-exile he then became mercenary who learned to harness his skills to able conjure any weapon suited for varied situations.

Another concept is oracle but need check gods and details more better for that one.

Sabriel

I would not agree that a Soul knife has no powers really, I mean yes it has none of the regular Psionic powers of other Psionic classes but it is still at its core a Psionic class with "unique" powers of its own. 

I would consider its powers hardly nothing either, conjuring and manipulating a weapon forged from the very psyche and mind is quite an amazing feat.

I would never convert this class to an Arcane or Divine class for this because well  there is already far to many Arcane and Divine classes as options as it is, it is far more fitting of a Psionic class and Soul Knives fit in the world as they are changing them would make them make less sense to the setting.  If it is not broke don't fix it :)

Any Psionic character who has suffered from the language virus would be no longer suffering from it, being exposed to it has opened up the possibility of Psionic's to them it does not leave every person it touches a permanent gibbering wreck who can't speak normally.

Seeing visions is not something that may be entirely unique to Psionic characters either there is the possibility that any character could have some sort of weird vision under certain circumstances. 

Your probably more likely to receive visions as an actual Oracle than a Psionic character anyway, I only mention it with the Psionic classes because it is a part of the setting and if anyone plays such a class I will likely at some point give them some sort of vision or such.

It is not a drawback it is a plot device, just as a vision from God might be for a cleric or other such characters. I just don't feel the need to mention that they might have visions, sort of goes with the territory.

Zaer Darkwail

Ahaa, ok. Anyways I make both oracle and soul knife char concepts in one post. Thanks from the replies :).

PhantomPistoleer

Sabriel, when will you be electing players for your campaign?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Sabriel

Good question :)

Well I would like to get things started shortly so I will be deciding such over the next few days, hopefully I will have the party decided by this coming Wednesday.

I am at present considering if I will allow more than I originally stated, I was planing on perhaps there being occasions where the group may split and separate for specific reasons or tasks anyway so there may be room.

Ixy

Well... here's another character for consideration in the meantime.  The sheet is in your inbox.

Shiloh, Hornsaw Elven Monk

Shiloh's tribe of elves suffers the haunting and terror of the taint of the Hornsaw forest.  Her earliest memories are of dread and lingering pain, of waking from inexplicable nightmares that were slow to fade.  Her family, like so many others, lost the ability or will to console her by the time she was old enough to speak.  So she and her bretheren watched the slow collapse of their people; warriors lost to futile quests, relics stolen in raids by the corrupt titanspawn, broken survivors of slain families wandering, solitary and dazed, into the forest mist to never be seen again.  She has survived atrocity.

As an adolescent, she and a handful of other youth from her tribe were captured by titanspawn.  She spent seven days in a wooden cage, suffering torment and misuse at the hands of sadistic beasts, and was forced to participate in dire depravity simply to survive.  By chance or fate, the nomadic titanspawn happened into grounds patrolled by a remote monastic order and were crushed by the warriors.  when Shiloh was recovered from their camp, she was the sole survivor.

They cared for the traumatized elven girl through a semi-catatonic state.  She didn't speak for six months, remaining silent except when she screamed herself awake at night.  The monks shared their teachings with her, caring for and protecting her for years, until she regained a measure of control.

Until her adulthood, she trained among the monks, joining their order.  Even had she been able to locate her people, she doubted her ability to face them and relate what she had experienced.  Their paranoia of the titans' taint would most certainly have turned them against her. 

She would have been happy, though, to stay among the order, if the Calastian Empire and the Inquisition had not struck the order in tandem.  The Inquisition distrusted their mystical nature, harrassing the peace-abiding monks who, until now, had vowed that their enemy would never be their fellow man.  The Calastian Empire annexed their grounds and protectorates, stationing soldiers in their backyard to seize the few resources in the area.  Finally, when titanspawn did launch a successful attack against the Calastian fortifications, the inquisition blamed the monks and arrested their elders.  There was a battle, though many of the order refused to participate, and Shiloh was among those imprisoned for treason when she chose to fight.

She fled custody, successfully managing to smuggle herself to the Sweltering Plains and, eventually, to Shelzar.  Despite her training, she still suffers from nightmares, and she is fully aware of the creeping madness that seems to be edging in among these city-dwelling people.  Disillusioned by the fate of her order, she is losing her faith in their methods and, though she still follows the codes of their law, she wants change in the world.  She works in Shelzar in the hopes of gathering allies, weapons, and means to aid in the fall of the Calastian empire.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Sabriel on June 12, 2011, 04:13:22 PM
Good question :)

Well I would like to get things started shortly so I will be deciding such over the next few days, hopefully I will have the party decided by this coming Wednesday.

I am at present considering if I will allow more than I originally stated, I was planing on perhaps there being occasions where the group may split and separate for specific reasons or tasks anyway so there may be room.
]

I know you didn't ask for our opinions, but I hope that you don't add more people to a 4-6 person party.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

sleepingferret

Phantom, might want to recheck your skill point math.  Unless I'm missing anything for Rogues (or Humans), you should only have 110 Skill Points at level 10 (120 if you use all your favored class credit towards skill points...so then you're only off by one ;) )

When using the Swashbuckler archetype, Martial Training replaces a Rogue's trapfinding ability at 1st level.  Also the Combat Trick Rogue Talent still requires you to meet all feat prerequisites in order to select the bonus combat feat (So in order to take Power Attack, you'd still need a 13 Str).

That's just me noticing some things that stand out though. *shrugs*

EDIT: Also with 3 rogue talents used for bonus feats; as a human.  You'd have a total of 9 feats.  5 for normal character advancement, 1 for being a human, and the specific ones you chose as rogue talents (weapon finesse, martial weapon prof (scimitar), and one combat feat).

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Sabriel

QuoteI know you didn't ask for our opinions, but I hope that you don't add more people to a 4-6 person party.

I did not ask but it is fairly likely I would have asked anyway before I did such, so well you are all welcome to chip in with your opinions they will only make my decision easier in the end.

My own preference would be to keep it at 4-6 anyway.

:-)

Senti

I will have my character ready soon...well at least the background I will need help with the sheet.

Mysterica

I thought I had forgotten something!  Favored class!  I'm still getting used to pathfinder.

Isengrad

Quote from: sleepingferret on June 12, 2011, 11:12:26 PM
Phantom, might want to recheck your skill point math.  Unless I'm missing anything for Rogues (or Humans), you should only have 110 Skill Points at level 10 (120 if you use all your favored class credit towards skill points...so then you're only off by one ;) )

When using the Swashbuckler archetype, Martial Training replaces a Rogue's trapfinding ability at 1st level.  Also the Combat Trick Rogue Talent still requires you to meet all feat prerequisites in order to select the bonus combat feat (So in order to take Power Attack, you'd still need a 13 Str).

That's just me noticing some things that stand out though. *shrugs*

EDIT: Also with 3 rogue talents used for bonus feats; as a human.  You'd have a total of 9 feats.  5 for normal character advancement, 1 for being a human, and the specific ones you chose as rogue talents (weapon finesse, martial weapon prof (scimitar), and one combat feat).

Looking at it now, hes a feat short. 8/9. Also i don't think he was going for the archetype as he does not have the daring ability you gain at third. The confusion is the Rouge Talent :Martial training. that does not exist as a talent... however He has reached level 10.. one of the advanced talents is just called "Feat" this allows him to take any feat he is qualified for. Now the only discrepancy in his feats is that hes one short.. and currently not proficient with the scimitar.

The only other thing I do not understand is how he has more then just 2 spells. each talent only gives you one spell selected from the appropriate list. he should have 1 level ) spell usable 3/day, and 1 level 1 spell usable 2/day

edit: Added thought, unless he ran an option by Sabriel.. each spell is usable 1/day.. so basically a slash reverse... instead of 1 spell usable 3/day. its 3 spells usable 1/day. Just my thoughts.

Also Cadaver, bracers of armor does not stack with armor from other sources (such as mundane armor, but it does stack with natural last time I checked) your better off cashing those back in and enchanting the armor you are wearing if you can.

original artwork by karabiner

Black Howling

Quote from: Isengrad on June 13, 2011, 10:49:04 AM
Looking at it now, hes a feat short. 8/9. Also i don't think he was going for the archetype as he does not have the daring ability you gain at third. The confusion is the Rouge Talent :Martial training. that does not exist as a talent... however He has reached level 10.. one of the advanced talents is just called "Feat" this allows him to take any feat he is qualified for. Now the only discrepancy in his feats is that hes one short.. and currently not proficient with the scimitar.

The only other thing I do not understand is how he has more then just 2 spells. each talent only gives you one spell selected from the appropriate list. he should have 1 level ) spell usable 3/day, and 1 level 1 spell usable 2/day

edit: Added thought, unless he ran an option by Sabriel.. each spell is usable 1/day.. so basically a slash reverse... instead of 1 spell usable 3/day. its 3 spells usable 1/day. Just my thoughts.

Also Cadaver, bracers of armor does not stack with armor from other sources (such as mundane armor, but it does stack with natural last time I checked) your better off cashing those back in and enchanting the armor you are wearing if you can.
He's got the right number of feats, he only has two talents into combat giving him the total of eight. Though, if martial training is being counted as a rogue talent; then he has six talents. He has improved evasion. Either case, I'm sure Sabriel will notice it without our unneeded input.

Sabriel

My view of the sheet of Sir Velcor

For feats, well being a 10th level human that for start gives 5 Feats for level +1 for being a human so 6 feats.

From what I percieve and make sense of things he has then chosen to take Combat Trick and Finesse Rogue which accounts for another two feats.

Now I could be wrong but I just sort of imagined and percieved that perhaps the choice of Martial Training was meant to actually be Combat Trick and he taken the proficiency in Scimitar and just forgot to write it down.

Now there arranged in an odd order but well yeah that can happen hehe

On the subject of Rogue talents he seams to have the right amount at least to me unless my maths is off

I think really it's just these two that are in question

QuoteMinor Magic (Sp): A rogue with this talent gains the ability to cast a 0-level spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. This spell can be cast three times a day as a spell-like ability. The caster level for this ability is equal to the rogue's level. The save DC for this spell is 10 + the rogue's Intelligence modifier. The rogue must have an Intelligence of at least 10 to select this talent.

I think that pretty clear, it only grants one 0th level spell from the sorcerer/wizard list but it can be cast three times a day.

QuoteMajor Magic (Sp): A rogue with this talent gains the ability to cast a 1st-level spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list two times a day as a spell-like ability. The caster level for this ability is equal to the rogue's level. The save DC for this spell is 11 + the rogue's Intelligence modifier. The rogue must have an Intelligence of at least 11 to select this talent. A rogue must have the minor magic rogue talent before choosing this talent

Again pretty clear grants one 1st level spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list two times a day.

So really the issue with the above just seams to be choosing one 0th and 1st level spells.

I think it is just a mistake really its easy to become confused while making a character and well forget what you put down or put down something wrongly. I will be checking all sheets before I allow them into play anyway and well I do appreciate people helping me by pointing such things out.

QuoteAlso Cadaver, bracers of armor does not stack with armor from other sources (such as mundane armor, but it does stack with natural last time I checked) your better off cashing those back in and enchanting the armor you are wearing if you can.

He does know this, and it should not be included in his AC bonus I did help a tiny bit with his character.

I did explain this to him and well I said he could get rid or keep it,  saying that it may be useful if he wanted to fight without his armor for some reason then his bracer's would work.

Given that the character has been involved in knife fights and such it makes some sense he might have them for that, just to keep the crowd more entertained.  This is Shelzar remember people will pay big money to see a Barbarian in no armor (clothes) fight knife to knife with some other gribbly ::)

I hope my own observations make sense anyway :)

Black Howling

Quote from: Sabriel on June 13, 2011, 12:44:28 PM
On the subject of Rogue talents he seams to have the right amount at least to me unless my maths is off
Martial Training:
Combat Trick
Finesse Rogue
Minor Magic
Major Magic
Improved Evasion

6 Talents I counted. 5 Basic, 1 advanced.

Not trying to be an issue, but...

Sabriel

I did not count Evasion myself as he does not have it listed with his rogue talents, every other one of which he has wrote as "Rogue Talents:".

Easily fixed anyway just remove the brackets with improved in.

Black Howling

Quote from: Sabriel on June 13, 2011, 01:02:10 PM
I did not count Evasion myself as he does not have it listed with his rogue talents, every other one of which he has wrote as "Rogue Talents:".

Easily fixed anyway just remove the brackets with improved in.
Agreed, I only brought it up because people were on the topic already. :-)

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Black Howling on June 13, 2011, 12:52:42 PM
Martial Training:
Combat Trick
Finesse Rogue
Minor Magic
Major Magic
Improved Evasion

6 Talents I counted. 5 Basic, 1 advanced.

Not trying to be an issue, but...

Martial Training is supposed to be Weapon Training, which grants you Weapon Focus.  I am missing a feat (the feat progression in PF is different from 3.5), so I went ahead and picked up Weapon Proficiency (Martial), since my rogue doesn't have access to proficiency with a scimitar.

I think I've fixed the other issues with the character.

Edit:  I see where I got confused.  The table here is confusing.  I think I'm probably going to drop magic, and pick something else.   http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Zaer Darkwail

Vharen, Vesh soulknife (charsheet via clicking the name)
Vharen was originally born in New Venir, from a elven slave bred by noble. However his mother wished him better life than just slave so she secretly gave birth and asked castle maid to smuggle child out. Maid smuggled child and found him good family in near by castle community, in hands of middle aged couple who had got difficult time birth a son. They adopted Vharen and if anyone asked how a half-elf child was born pure human parents the mother jokingly said there has been half-elf ancestor in side of her family tree so elven traits seemed jump one generation over.

So Vharen was raised by father who was smith and mother who was baker by trade. Vharen studied under his adoptive father's guidance smithcraft. Vharen became quite skilled smith who knew how craft fine blades, taking it as pride and artform to create splendid blades. The noble from castle heard about Vharen's prowess and made impossible demand to meet; under a week craft a blade which would had taken a standard month to craft! A ceremonial decorated blade with lots of details regarding family history which Vharen was given rough sketch and image. Vharen however knew there will be dire consequences on failure so he moved to work nonstop in the forge with grim determination. He managed half-complete the blade before he fell down in exhaustion. His father, pitying him picked up after that and added the decorations by hoping guessing things right.

The noble came with soldiers pick the blade up, however when noble drawed the blade and saw it lacked important detail; his family insignia from the blade which he had told Vharen to add verbally! Vharen tried take blame but father interfered and told plain truth of said matter. Noble, angry for father interfering on project ordered soldiers fire their crossbows on Vharen's father! Slaying him in front of his eyes! Vharen, enraged screamed and charged the noble bare handed! Soldiers interfered but suddenly out of nowhere Vharen formed radiant glowing axe which cut off soldiers spears and cleaved noble in half! Speaking wild gibberish he fought and ran, not to be seen then following ten years. Ten years he spend as lonely mute nomad in the desert, speaking no one as if he tried communicate he spoke gibberish. He meditated and harnessed his weird powers in solitude, until one day by randomly he cursed on hitting his toe near pair of mercenaries who then asked him tone it down! Finally understanding him again!

Feeling relief from his weird exile he moved to Vesh and there he joined the Vigils, desiring correct wrongs in the world, especially in New Venir he became one their agents. He keeps his powers secret and low profile as he can as his powers often draw attention to him. As blacksmith he harnessed his talents to able conjure wide variety of weapons out from his psionic mind and become proficient in varied combat techniques instead becoming master of one sort style but he has preference for big two handed weapons over the other forms. Because of this he prefers work alone but he has worked alongside with some people but he knows eventually his weird nature is revealed during missions and all ask why he never carries a weapon around himself? Some suspect him to be stoic monk from some desert monastery where he disappeared for ten years to study but that is not quite correct either. When he heard the mysterious offer in Shelzar about some item retrieval he felt it was job for him and his talents. Altough he works as mercenary he is also secretly as member of Vigil who reports often via magical conjured owl familiar about his activities.

Zaer Darkwail

So shortly descripe; my soulknife is the sort who plans use maximum use of power attack along able land melee touch attacks with big nasty looking weapon :P. Also the pic is deceptive; he has glamered enchanted mithril full plate so he has quite decent AC. Plan to get Speed of Thought next level so he is quite mobile but after that plan focus mostly combat enchancing feats. Anyways he could be considered a ranger with big weapon (as he got very high survival skill and able endure desert heat better than most).