I need something to watch...

Started by Beorning, June 24, 2021, 05:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

If I may have a personal request (one that could end up being useful to others, too)...

My recent diggings into Youtube made me realize that there's a lot of people there making interesting essays on various things. Even serious stuff, like politics, media and social issues... I'm really liking ContraPoints, for example - there's some very well thought-out stuff on her channel, like her amazingly in-depth analysis of the incel community. I'm also liking Lindsay Ellis and her discussion of various media issues, movies etc. On the non-political side, I like Jenny Nicholson's weirdness or Zefrank's animal videos... And heck, I even watched Sideway's videos on cinematic adaptations of Cats and Les Miserables.

I need more, though... But I don't know what else is out there? Or rather, what else is worthwhile? I mean, there are obviously a ton of videos on Youtube... my question is, what is actually *good*? Do you happen to know any other essay channels that feature well-researched, non-manipulative content on interesting topics - politics, social issues, media etc.? Non-political stuff like in-depth movie analysis, real-life stories (i.e. true crime), science etc. would be of interest to me, too.

Any recommendations?

Haibane

Potholer54. I have mentioned and promoted his work several times.

Iniquitous

Biographics/Geographics/SideProjects/MegaProjects/Today I Found Out

The guy's name is Simon Whistler and I absolutely LOVE his channels.  I usually watch something of his every night.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Skynet

Quote from: Beorning on June 24, 2021, 05:30:13 PM
If I may have a personal request (one that could end up being useful to others, too)...

My recent diggings into Youtube made me realize that there's a lot of people there making interesting essays on various things. Even serious stuff, like politics, media and social issues... I'm really liking ContraPoints, for example - there's some very well thought-out stuff on her channel, like her amazingly in-depth analysis of the incel community. I'm also liking Lindsay Ellis and her discussion of various media issues, movies etc. On the non-political side, I like Jenny Nicholson's weirdness or Zefrank's animal videos... And heck, I even watched Sideway's videos on cinematic adaptations of Cats and Les Miserables.

I need more, though... But I don't know what else is out there? Or rather, what else is worthwhile? I mean, there are obviously a ton of videos on Youtube... my question is, what is actually *good*? Do you happen to know any other essay channels that feature well-researched, non-manipulative content on interesting topics - politics, social issues, media etc.? Non-political stuff like in-depth movie analysis, real-life stories (i.e. true crime), science etc. would be of interest to me, too.

Any recommendations?

It's part humor, but Hbomberguy covers a lot of political and pop culture topics. He has a slow upload schedule, but his works are often film-length. His last video detailed the roots of the anti-vaccine movement in the US. It had some interesting insights beyond the obvious, including how so much of it ties back to a disbarred doctor who went to some pretty horrific lengths to prove his theory.

For less overtly political but also some interesting essay-style videos, there's Accented Cinema. He covers Chinese fiction and media (mainland, Hong Kong, Diaspora, etc), and some other East and Southeast Asian films. There's an interesting variety of videos, ranging from reviews to more subject-based videos such as why Chinese audiences resonated with Kung Fu Panda or the flaws in their nationalist propaganda films.

Annaamarth

If you would are open to a Christian theological perspective that is not what you see in most "evangelical" Christianity, I like Rev Ed Trevors- who looks a bit like Joe Kucan of Command and Conquer fame, but if Kane was a not-villainous Anglican priest.  Here's his response to Christians getting upset at catching flak as the remains of native children were found at Catholic and Anglican residential schools.  He does not shift the blame for those deaths away from the modern church.

In the current events and politics realm, Beau of the Fifth Column has a PMC and security background, with a strong anti-authority background.  He apparently used to be a firebrand anarchist, but I think he's cooled a bit.  His background as a contractor and expertise in political violence and upheaval is interesting and valuable to me.

He was one of the people who spoke up against the US withdrawal from Afghanistan because he foresaw the collapse of Afghanistan and an increase of civilian casualties as the US stayed in the broader region to provide "over the horizon" capability.

He more recently described how the same concerns are much more inapplicable in Iraq, due to circumstances of geography and politics.

For something for geek culture, I might suggest the Black Pants Legion, made famous by the Tex Talks Battletech series of long-form videos and examinations of Battlemech designs and the history of Battletech.

Also a fairly standard gaming channel with Rimworld, Battletech, Space Station 13 and other niche game content.  No ads, except fake gag ads for things that aren't really things, or to make fun of awful things.  An example is linked here.  Also, weird music done by members of the Legion and all kinds of other random crap.

The channel is run by one primary person, but many people contribute content to and through it, so ... there's a lot of not-especially well sorted random.
Ons/Offs

My sins are pride, wrath and lust.

Twisted Crow

I would recommend... Jim Sterling (Jimquisition)?

Twisted Crow

Erm. To add, Jim is kind of... ranty. But they mean well. And their channel is more aimed for satire/news/current events that often center around video games, politics surrounding them, other things related, etc.