If it were legal, how much would it take to buy your vote?

Started by Jude, April 17, 2011, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

Quote from: Oniya on April 21, 2011, 05:46:45 PM
Setting up a 'vote economy', where votes can be bought and traded and sold:  I just don't see how it would be feasible for a candidate to purchase enough votes to make a difference.  It's much more cost-effective to gain the votes by other means.

Like lobbies?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on April 21, 2011, 05:46:45 PM
Here's the way I see it:  Anyone buying my right to vote (if I'm the only one) is going to have to make it worth my while - not just for now, but in perpetuity.  I would need something very valuable in return.  Hence the 'soul' comment.  (If I have the candidate's soul, presumably I have a bit of influence, yes?  Assuming that they have one.)

Setting up a 'vote economy', where votes can be bought and traded and sold:  I just don't see how it would be feasible for a candidate to purchase enough votes to make a difference.  It's much more cost-effective to gain the votes by other means.

Actually it was sorta done.. a lot of big cities did that in the 1800s and beyond.. Tammany Hall (of Boss Tweed fame) got a lot of their strength and influence from working blocks of votes.. they did favors for folks in exchange for voting as they wanted. And they weren't the only ones.

Denivar

Quote from: Jude on April 17, 2011, 10:20:37 PM
where every citizen of your country can sell their voting rights

I think an interesting (and somewhat cynical) question is, in such a country, what would the market price of a vote settle at? My prediction is not very much, perhaps a few hundred dollars for one to permanently forgo their right to vote.

How much would it take for me personally? I'm ashamed to admit, probably only a few thousand dollars. :-/
"If you go to see the woman, do not forget the whip." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ons and Offs -- Roleplay Ideas -- Apologies, Absences, Excuses, that sort of thing

Oniya

Quote from: KneelToTheWhip on April 22, 2011, 11:18:45 PM
I think an interesting (and somewhat cynical) question is, in such a country, what would the market price of a vote settle at? My prediction is not very much, perhaps a few hundred dollars for one to permanently forgo their right to vote.

How much would it take for me personally? I'm ashamed to admit, probably only a few thousand dollars. :-/

You do need to consider that in the country format, it's possible to re-purchase your right to vote, just by finding someone willing to sell theirs.  In other words, it's not a permanent loss.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shadax

I think with both situations - only me selling or everyone selling - I would not sell my vote. For anything. However, if everyone were selling, I would start to buy votes. First from people who don't care so I don't have to pay much, then I would work my way up the ladder of voting power until people started to pay me to swing my massive number of votes their way (I would only vote for things I believed in anyway, but the cash is nice regardless.). Then I just keep buying more and more so I can huge power to finally get some decent changes made. I like that plan...
"The level of subtlety in their relationship is comparable to the level of subtlety possessed by a herd of rainbow unicorns."

Solstice

Only me selling:
An amount high enough that it does not feel insulting. I might get more use out of $0.95 (hey, that's an apple at the supermarket) than my one vote, but frankly the offer's a bit offensive. $50 would probably do, that's gas for a month.

Everyone selling:
Mmm, depends. Ignoring the option of, say, moving to a swing state, and selling it before a major election... eh... Several thousand. Probably nobody would buy at that price, but, eh, whatever.

Though I must say, the latter situation sort of sounds like a libertarian dream. But, maybe that's just my cynicism talking.
Apoloies & Absences - Updated 11/16/2014 - Around and available? Hopefully?