News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on January 14, 2016, 01:13:40 PM
Marrying Daenerys? Naw. Half the time I am thinking she wont make it to the end. She's a brat of a teen who refuses to see what her actions create.

Hey, hey! What her actions create is a better world. She's the saga's messianic figure...

Don't knock Dani, she's awesome :)

Iniquitous

Quote from: Beorning on January 14, 2016, 03:04:56 PM
Hey, hey! What her actions create is a better world. She's the saga's messianic figure...

Don't knock Dani, she's awesome :)

Uh... dont think all her actions create a better world. Matter of fact, ever since Drogo's death she has had a trail of disease, starving people, and in the case of Astapor - a city of freed slaves left utterly defenseless so that it fell to Yunkai not long after she left it.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Beorning

Well, she *is* learning, right?

Give her time, nobody's born as the perfect ruler...

Stella

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on January 14, 2016, 03:56:55 PM
Uh... dont think all her actions create a better world. Matter of fact, ever since Drogo's death she has had a trail of disease, starving people, and in the case of Astapor - a city of freed slaves left utterly defenseless so that it fell to Yunkai not long after she left it.

Yeah, agreed. It doesn't help that she's also incredibly boring imo. And that's not entirely Emilia's fault - I groaned whenever we returned to a Dany chapter in the books, too.

Remiel

Quote from: Stella on January 15, 2016, 03:13:45 PM
Yeah, agreed. It doesn't help that she's also incredibly boring imo. And that's not entirely Emilia's fault - I groaned whenever we returned to a Dany chapter in the books, too.

As did I.  I don't know why; it just felt like anything that was happening in Westeros (or Bravos) was infinitely more interesting than anything that was happening with Daenerys.   Probably because, for all her efforts, her dragons, and her lofty ideals, she never really seemed to make any progress; she just kept getting stuck in the same old situations.

Stella

Quote from: Remiel on January 15, 2016, 03:41:52 PM
As did I.  I don't know why; it just felt like anything that was happening in Westeros (or Bravos) was infinitely more interesting than anything that was happening with Daenerys.   Probably because, for all her efforts, her dragons, and her lofty ideals, she never really seemed to make any progress; she just kept getting stuck in the same old situations.

While eating dates. I seem to remember she wore a lot of silk dresses and ate dates. :P

Iniquitous

And lusted after Daario Naharis....

jouzinka

Well, at least we know now that her storyline is about to get a lot more interesting, now that she is surrounded by a Khalasar AND the seat in Mereen is empty.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

LuckyOwl

I liked Dany's plot until she got to Mereen. Then it became an endless pit of boredom, with her constantly lusting for Daario and having assemblies and doing nothing interesting at all. Even in the books, her chapters in Mereen, particularly the ones that involve Daario, are just dreadful.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

Beorning

Really? I didn't really find these chapters to be boring.

You know what was, IMHO, boring? Griff's plot. I love Martin's skill in world-building and introducing new characters, but with Griff, I really thought "Do we really need yet another side in this conflict? And even if so, do we really need to actually *read* about the minutiae of their progress?".

I honestly started fearing that Martin has lost control of his story and was consumed by a compulsion to introduce new things...

LuckyOwl

Quote from: Beorning on January 16, 2016, 11:11:52 AM
Really? I didn't really find these chapters to be boring.

You know what was, IMHO, boring? Griff's plot. I love Martin's skill in world-building and introducing new characters, but with Griff, I really thought "Do we really need yet another side in this conflict? And even if so, do we really need to actually *read* about the minutiae of their progress?".

I honestly started fearing that Martin has lost control of his story and was consumed by a compulsion to introduce new things...

He most certainly has. Griff is dangerously close to a Deus Ex Machina. "Oh look, another Targaryen just because fuck it!". He's lost all control over where the plot is going, and that's why he's struggling so hard to prepare a wrap-up with WoW and DoS.

My issue with Daenerys is that he butchered her character growth. Her arch is little girl -> scared wife -> badass leader. He made her go little girl -> scared wife -> badass leader -> hey, remember when she was still a little girl? Let's make her fall hopelessly in love with a mercenary just so we can remind everyone how young she actually is. It's in character, technically, because she IS very young and should have love affairs and mad loves, but it also feels like going backwards specifically because it goes against her character development thus far. I don't want to see her swoon over Daario and have no control over dragons at all, I want her to manhandle Drogon like she does at the arena! I endured the entirety of the Drogo plot to see her grow into this fierce ruler, I don't really want to go back and see her become a vulnerable little girl again, even if it would theoretically make sense. What I'm saying is: it's coherent, but not enjoyable. At least, not to me. I'd be okay with "fierce leader with glimpses of little girl", but "little girl with moments of fierceness" just doesn't cut it after this many books.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

jouzinka

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Iniquitous

Whooooaaaaa..... just.... whoa....

And....

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Melisandre is FUGLY! And apparently broken now that her prophecies have proven to be false.  Which makes me go 'wth!? raise Jon!'  I am hoping her removing that choker is not her just giving up and dying.

Beorning

Okay, so why isn't anyone here talking about the series anymore?  8-) We're after episode 6 now! So many revelations!

... or, maybe, everyone is waiting for the book after all..?

Far eyes

Honestly i was a bit like disappointed with the past couple of episodes, its just a lot of building up and i just kind of feel like "wake me up when we get there"
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Iniquitous

I am most definitely waiting for the last two books.  Sure, I know the directors know how the series is going to end and I am sure Martin is having some input on what they are doing in the shows right now, but I am curious how the creator will spin things.

Now, as for what has happened so far? 

What happened to Hordor wrenched my heart.  It also made me stop and think about everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen. The Three Eyed Raven, and now Bran, apparently can affect past and present.

Euron Greyjoy.  I was really hoping for Victarion instead of Euron, but whatever. At least they somewhat followed the Kingsmoot.  Still wondering where the hell they are going to get the wood for 1,000 ships on barren islands.  But am curious now how the Greyjoy is tying up with the Dany storyline (or at the very least looking like the two will).

Dorne - What. The. Hell?!

Not surprised by the Jon Snow. He had to die to get out of his oath to the Night's Watch.

Dany. Not surprised but really getting tired of the girl. Her arrogance is annoying.

Sansa.  Whoa. Where the hell is spineless, meek Sansa and who the hell is this strong, determined woman in her place?  I am liking this Sansa and hoping they do not turn her into another annoying Dany.

Jaime.  Thank gods they are finally putting him where he is supposed to be! Sheesh for a season and a half he has been everywhere but where the books had him!

There is more, but... I am too tired to think on it all right now. 

Beorning

My thoughts...

The thing with Hodor was heart-wrenching... although I'm wondering whether it was Martin's idea, or something that the show creators came up with. Also, I'm not sure whether it fits with the Three-Eyed Crow claim that the past cannot be changed.

I'm not sure what to think of the supposed origin of the Others. So, it was the Children of the Forest who created them? I really thought they were the spawn of this dark god Melisandre keeps warning about... Hm.

I didn't like the Kingsmoot. I'm not liking the show's portrayal of Euron - I think he should be more... exotic. And, overall, I don't like how the islanders are being portrayed - they are all wearing the same drab, colourless clothes...

Regarding Dorne - yeah, WTF??? Although note that it's not necessarily completely different from where the books are heading - in the books, Dorne seems on the way to war with Lannisters, too... with Doran Martell's blessing. The show killed him off, but the general results is similar. BTW. I absolutely hate what the show did with the Sand Snakes :(

Dany is cool, I still like her :) I'm liking the more mature Sansa, too.

I was surprised to see Margaery joining High Sparrow's side. Have the fanatics really broken her? Or is she, as usual, just playing along with whomever seems to be in power at the moment?

Remiel

Quote from: Beorning on May 31, 2016, 04:39:45 PM
I was surprised to see Margaery joining High Sparrow's side. Have the fanatics really broken her? Or is she, as usual, just playing along with whomever seems to be in power at the moment?

My money's on the latter.  If not, I shall be severely disappointed.

Iniquitous

As for Margery and Tommen - I am really not sure.  Her grandmother sure looked surprised by the High Sparrow's announcement.  I am hoping she is just playing the High Sparrow. As for Tommen? He is young and a fool - easily lead by a woman.

Arya.  After this last week's episode I am genuinely afraid for her.  Seeing as Martin/the show have no qualms with killing people off, I am wondering if Arya signed her own death warrant by sparing the actress.  Really do not want to see her die cause I had such high hopes for her.

Samwell.  Not sure what is going on with him since he was supposed to go to the Citadel to become a maester and cannot bring Gilly and the baby with him. And stealing his dad's valyrian sword?  Not a smart move there.

Benjen is back!  Still not sure what to think of that one.  Guess I am holding my opinions till I see what they are going to do with him.

Oniya

Quote from: Iniquitous on May 31, 2016, 04:13:52 PM
What happened to Hordor wrenched my heart.  It also made me stop and think about everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen. The Three Eyed Raven, and now Bran, apparently can affect past and present.
I don't watch the series or read the books, but it's interesting to note that

bran is the Welsh word for 'raven'.

I kind of doubt that this is a coincidence.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

greenknight

Quote from: Iniquitous on May 31, 2016, 04:13:52 PM
Fitz explains it all

Benjen is a "Wight" Walker himself, obviously.  ;) (And if I'm actually right, is he at war with his "cousins" or doesn't realize he's a walker?)

Margary, the High Sparrow is right. He showed her her bitchiness. And she may be somewhat penitent. What she does going forward is going to be interesting.

Arya. Did she bed down back at The House of Black and White or in a hidey hole she found as a blind beggar? And did she ever catch a cat, like Syrio Forel taught her?

And are the Children of the Forest human? They said they were at war with men. Might they have made a deal with the Red God's enemy? Might they be the original people of the enemy? And is the enemy as bad as Melisandre and Co. make him out to be?
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Beorning

Greeknight, the Children aren't human. They look more human in the TV show, as they are played by human actors, but the books make it clear they are something else.

Iniquitous, I'm happy to see Benjen back, as it confirms the theory I've had about Coldhands after reading Dance :) I don't remember whether I came up with it myself or read it online first, but I've long suspected he would turn out to be Benjen...

As for Arya, I really don't think she'd be killed off... It would mean her whole plotline was a wasted time. No, I think she'll survive... *tries not to hear the hysterical laughter of Eddard in the back of his head*

BTW. Aren't those worshippers of the Many-Faced God annoying? I admit that I have trouble understanding how a temple of a god of assassins might be operating openly in Braavos...

Aiden

Bravos was founded by slaves, all freed from the first slave who was taught to give the gift to the Masters.

Considering Bravos is one of the biggest cities, the Masters of the other cities can't really do shit about it.