Virginia strikes down ban on late-term abortions

Started by Paradox, May 20, 2008, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moondazed

Please don't take away from my comment that I see no value in Wikipedia :) 
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Moondazed

Asking for proof of your statements is jumping you???  I'm sorry you feel that way.  If my intention had been to jump you it would have included a switchblade and a demand for the contents of your purse :P  That's not my style :D
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: moondazed on May 23, 2008, 11:10:28 AM
Please don't take away from my comment that I see no value in Wikipedia :) 

Huh?

lol, that's not what I meant. . .I felt like I may have annoyed people with my comment.  I've been getting jumped on a lot and I'm not meaning to do any harm and have become rather depressed so it shows.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

MadPanda

Vekseid's link is interesting and informative in its own right, but you need to bring your own to the table for next time.  :)  Wiki is where research starts, not finishes.

And with that, I am formally bowing out of this discussion and letting people less inclined to crankiness fight it out.

"You know, Alcibiades, I used to be pretty good at these word games, too."
--Pericles, as interpreted by Larry Gonick
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Moondazed

That was in reply to Sherona... your post wasn't there when I answered... they crossed paths in the aether :)

ShrowdedPoet

Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Vekseid

Quote from: moondazed on May 23, 2008, 11:02:11 AM
Why does it amuse me that Vek linked to Wikipedia for factual evidence? :P 

Yeah yeah, it's almost like me saying 'bite me' in the public forums... :-p

I do want to encourage good sourcing, of course, but I figured I'd give a pointer.

Elvi

From BBC education
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/ethics/abortion/legal/history_1.shtml

For those interested in the American history of abortion laws.
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/abortionuslegal/a/abortion.htm

Anti abortion (SPUC) point of view (UK)
http://www.spuc.org.uk/students/abortion/history

Pro abortion (Pro choice campaign) point of view (UK)
http://www.abortionrights.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=44

These are just a very few of the sources I have used while debating this in other places.
There really is a lot of stuff around if you choose to look and then make an informed arguement.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

robitusinz

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on May 22, 2008, 08:04:01 PM
*can't keep mouth shut any longer*  Completely off abortion topic!  I got pregnant at 16, had my daughter at 17.  I graduated with honors. . .have a good job at a law office. . .almost have my AA and will be going on to get my BA.  My life was NOT ruined and just because someone has kids young does NOT mean their life is ruined!  And don't go spouting crap at me about how MOST of them end up like that cause I know a nifty few (meaning a heck of a lot) who turned out going to college and having fulfilling lives.  People like you are the problem.  Not pro-life or pro-choice. . .people like you. 

AND you DO need to keep it pg-13 because I WILL go to a siren. . .

...sigh...I knew the, "I did it despite the difficulty" sap story was bound to come up.

Look, that's great.  I applaud your accomplishments, but even though you don't want to hear it, you're the minority, not the majority.

Now, what "problem" are we discussing, and how am I helping to propagate it?  I'm of the opinion that people should be allowed to do as they please.  I don't see how that's a problem for anybody.

Me:  "Hey, buddy, do what you want!"
You: "No, regulate me and the rest of society, darn it!"
Me:  "No, no, really, I prefer that you just do what your own moral conscience allows you to do.  Take personal responsibility for your actions, but in the end, let the decision be your own."
You:  "Arg!  How can we live like this!  I need YOU to tell ME what to do with my body!"
Me:  *goes cross-eyed*

As far as PG-13, isn't Politics and Religion a private forum?
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

Sherona

QuoteAs far as PG-13, isn't Politics and Religion a private forum?

Nope everything on the far left of the forums are public :)

robitusinz

Quote from: Sherona on June 02, 2008, 03:28:48 PM
Nope everything on the far left of the forums are public :)

Oh well, I kept to just one "fuck" per post.  :D  That'd slide in under PG-13.
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

LaCroix

No offense, Rob but the problem they were refering too as I've read it is people who take up a stance and are completely unwilling to bend, unwilling to even to listen or consider the possibility that other people might have something important to bring to the discussion.

You make up your mind and then throw up a virtual finger to anyone who even might think about coming into the topic to discuss the facts of the issue on both sides. You're pro-choice? You're all up for people making informed choices and descions about their own lives with one hand and yet with the other you're throwing up a big 'F*** You' to anyone who might have something to bring to the discussion.

I, myself, am a proponent of choice and individual responsibility, yet at the same time I fall onto the side of pro-life because I believe in the sanctity of life. Regardless of whether or not that fetus can make a choice for itself from the time of conception on, or whether or not it can be defined as nothing more than a parasite is not the issue for me, personally.

For me, the fact of the matter of is that I know that that fetus is not a parasite and from the time of conception I believe that that fetus has the same rights to its burgeoning life that any of the rest of do. If the mothers life is endagered, if the fetus will be born stillborn, then I believe that measures can be taken to save the mothers life.  However, if that is not the case then I believe that the life of that fetus has the same value as the life of the mother. Yes it might be the woman's body and in any other matter it should be solely and completely her choice, but not, again in my opinion, when there is another life to be considered.

That being said do I choose to shout profanity at people who are pro-choice? No. And I never will. Neither will I do everything short of calling morons and 'f**king idiots' because they believe what they believe. You want to be pro-choice? Then how about sitting down, shutting up, and listening to people who have made choices on the issue and then debating it in a civil manner, rather than saying you don't want to hear anything anyone else might have to say on the issue.
Mickey Mouse's birthday being announced on the television news as if it were an actual event! I don't give a shit! If I cared about Mickey Mouse's birthday I would have memorized it years ago! And I'd send him a card, 'Dear Mickey, Happy Birthday, Love George'. I don't do that, why, don't give a shit! Fuck Mickey Mouse! Fuck him in the ass with a big rubber dick! Then break it off and beat him with it!