[Dark Heresy] Damnation is Eternal (Action/Investigation) - LAUNCHED

Started by Wintercat, January 15, 2013, 11:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintercat

Success is measured in blood; yours or your enemy's.

The Imperium of Man stands strong, even when under attack by many foes at once. Its countless legions march to war, and its vast spacecrafts cross the great distances through the malevolent Warp, guided by the light of the Holy Terra, and the Emperor of Mankind, the Immortal Emperor who's revered name is spread through the colonies of man and enforced with brutal efficiency.

With so many threats beyond its borders it would seem the Imperium is weakened against an internal threat, but the Inquisition's cold grasp reaches far, and wherever Heresy begins to arise, the Inquisition's iron heel will soon stomp it out. Its better to watch a world burn, than to let it fall in the hands of Chaos. The blood of martyrs is the seed of the Imperium.

There are only so many people that can be entrusted with the full power of the Inquisition, and so many places with whispers of heresy arising from them. For this reason, Acolytes are hand-picked as trainees in service of the Lord Inquisitors, with the hopes that among the countless that shall fall a few worthy souls shall prove their worth and a new generation of Inquisitors shall arise from their ranks in time.

You are deemed worthy to stand as New Recruits for the Inquisitor Thorolf, a practical member of the Ordo Hereticus, and a man whispered to be responsible for rooting out and purging several heretical cults in the last three decades. What's more, you have all been selected by the Inquisitor himself, and not one of his lieutenants, to serve together as a team for the tasks he has laid out for you.

There are good and bad sides to having the attention of an Imperial Inquisitor, but you will be the ones that will show what you will become.

This Dark Heresy game is intended to focus on dealing with threats to the Imperium, focusing on Action and Investigation aspects. It may include moments of Horror which is present in the setting, but the theme focuses on the other two aspects of the game setting. Material from the Core Book is available to players, other material can be asked about.

Homebrew Rule on Characterics: The player characters are a step above the general rank-and-file recruits, and their characteristics should reflect this. Characters roll 2d10 for characteristics, TWICE, and pick the better total. (Rolling 2 & 9 and then rolling 5 & 8 means having 5 & 8 for 13, not taking the 8 and 9 for 17, though). Players also get to reroll 1 statistic, rolling 2d10 three times for the selected characteristic, and picking the best roll total (even if its weaker than the original roll(s) gave). --- This increases the odds of a more powerful character, but it doesn't really raise the cap anywhere, just the likelyhood of better rolls.

Wounds & Fate: Players can roll these twice, and take the better result. --- Again, some randomness remains, but 1 bad roll isn't as bad as before.

Starting Thrones: Maximized. Though the characters begin as 1st rank characters, their Throne total for beginning is as high as its possible for them to have.

Alright, I'm seeing if there's interest for this game. I am considering a game for 2-6 players, I have originally spoken about this with Muse, and am reserving him a spot (on his request) for this game, but I'm looking for some additional player(s) for this.

I am also going to put up something about solo-game possibility later, but I wanted to post 1 group game option and see if there's interest.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Wintercat

I have acquired copies of Ascension, Blood of Martyrs, Book of Judgement, Creatures Anathema, Daemon Hunter, Disciples of the Dark Gods, GM Kit, Inquisitor's Handbook, Radical's Handbook, The Lathe Worlds and of course the Dark Heresy core book but I would prefer to keep things simple enough to begin with, using character creation as outlined in the core book, and the 8 career-paths within it.

I am willing to consider things from the other books listed above, but I would prefer to check them as they come up. I am hoping to avoid Sisters of Battle in this game, I will consider them if all players feel strongly towards having one along but I would prefer to begin with basics. (I've so far ran 1 game table-top with this, and tried it out with 2 play-by-post games elsewhere, but that is with the core book in use mainly, I have a chance to read the other books now but I haven't studied them too closely yet.)

I have some books from Rogue Trader, Black Crusade and Deathwatch, but I am not intending to mix and match them much. At most, Black Crusade may be in use for foe-creation.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Muse

I'm really looking forewards to this.  :) 

Thank you for running again, Winter. 

I have an idea for an assassin with ties to the inquisitor or a senior acolyte.  I'll tell you about it next time you're on, and you can tell me if you like it. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Primarch

Wintercat

Glad to see there's some interest. I've received a character sheet already, with first concept shown. Since it was shared with me (though noting some stuff is still under work) I noted the use of "Inquisitor's Handbook" when it comes to Origins. I got nothing against the idea of using Origins from the Inquisitor's Handbook, they're pretty much small alternatives to the Homeworld after all.

I would like to request folks would at least share here what they are planning to play, a short bit is enough. "Male Hive World Arbitrator" is a fair share already, as is "Female Feral World Psyker". This would help folks see what other concepts are around after all.

Welcome along Primarch, and I'll look forward to see if HairyHeretic has interest then with the set books, and I'm looking forward to Muse and Pumpkin Seeds being ready later.

Looking good.
A&A

Flaming

I like this. I have I character that was created for a campaign that went nowhere! (sadly I threw the sheet away)
I hope there is still place.

The concept was a cleric, raised in a shrine world, utterly fundamentalist. For him 99.99% faithful is already heresy, and heresy must be purged. Evil must be confronted and retreat is not an option. He is not a man of action, nor of subterfuge, his way of dealing with heresy is direct and straight forward. He doesn't carry any gun and will not use violence himself: he is more the guy that threats and then unleashes the war hounds.

My character concept has a big flaw!
The idea I had in mind creating it was a character that was strong in his believes and had no fears. Problem is a character like this in a D&D like rpg, where the focus is on combat, he wont stand a chance: he would be a sitting duck wearing a target sign as t-shirt, calling out for attention. I was hoping for a more storytelling base campaign where my character can stand up in the midst of a blaster fight and shout "Kill the heretics! Smash them under the boots of justice. Kill 'em all!" and miraculously having no one to shoot at him.
Let me know if this could work.

Primarch

Wintercat

Primarch's character has been Judged and deemed worthy.

The first of the Inquisitorial Cadre stands ready then, it seems the interest is such that there's a space for all those who have applied so far if they wish to play. Regardless, I have already seen Work-in-Progress sheets from Muse & Pumpkin Seeds as well. Looking good, I can run this for 3, and I'll happily raise that to 4 if HairyHeretic is along, and if we have Flaming along, we'll raise that to 5 at best situation.

That said, If all those mentioned above are playing, that leaves a fairly good group, I might take 1 more, but given I've not heard of HairyHeretic or Flaming more than 1 post in this thread, we'll see.

As for your question, Flaming. I'll answer here and private message you.

--
The Ordo Hereticus certainly can use a devout Cleric to inspire the men and women in the Emperor's service, but its likely that the cleric is going to need to acquire some combat gear. Also, my general tendencies is to permit some creativeness and eagerness, but if the priest ventures to the battlefield without armor and shouts for the troops like that, someone is bound to take aim at him too eventually. That doesn't mean the shot is going to hit, but the risk is there each time he rises up.

The game is likely to involve investigation parts which are likely to contain story-telling elements above action, but its also going to play host to fights that show the grim future's lethal nature. In such a phase of the game its good to know when its time for Inspiring and when its time for Smiting.

There is no guarantees that a character would be able to stand around in a firefight without armor and expect to not get shot at. It might happen the character would have such luck, but it would depend greatly on the foe and circumstances. If the enemy doesn't regard him a real threat, they might aim for those that are actually fighting back, but if they think he's a good target of opportunity to demoralize the enemy, they're going to take aim at him sooner than he can shout "Emperor Protects" at an ironic moment.

That said, using Fate can always affect events a hint, but even Fate comes in limited supply.
A&A

Tackyhillbilly

I'm interested as well. Apologies for the late coming. I was thinking of playing a Cleric, aiming for the more Exorcist route. The kind of fellow who believes that while a Candle in Dark Places can be nice, it doesn't replace a Chainsword.

If the cleric role is taken, I'll find something else, and if it is full up, I guess I will move along.

Schola Progenium. His father and mother were Guardsman. They died as 'heroes,' at least as much Guardsman can be heroes. He grew up worshipping the Emperor. He has doubts about the current Church, though. To much politics, not enough actual emulation of the Emperor, and his goals. He wants to live up to the impossible standards of his parents. He's an unpopular novice because of that. The flame of faith burns within him, but his disdain for politics prevents him from moving up the ranks. An Inquisitor... he'd jump at the chance.

Flaming

I'll fill the character sheet this afternoon.
I'm sorry for the delay, I'll be working like crazy till the end of the month, then... free time! : )

Wintercat

I'd gladly see what both of you can create, Tackhillbilly and Flaming. I think this should prove interesting, I liked what I saw from Tacky but there is still space as said. I consider Primarch already included, the character is looking good, and Muse was guaranteed a spot from the beginning. Pumpkin Seeds is coming along well, and you both have good ideas to see how they work together. I've also had contact by one more person through private messages who looks good, and though I haven't heard again from HairyHeretic since the initial question, who knows.

It seems we can get a full team of 6, and looking forward to seeing things as they take shape. Though I hope Muse & Pumpkin will share a bit about their concepts up here as well soon.
A&A

Flaming

Just a question. Do I roll the dice here on my table or should I use the dice roller here on E and send you the results (I'm not sure on how to do that : ) )

Wintercat

I am not going to ask you to make the rolls on Elliquiy for your character, I believe the players have a good chance to get a good character. If someone really wants to cheat, well that's their shame in my view of things. Once the game gets going, I'll see which method will be best to use. I prefer to trust folks to play fair and not ruin their own enjoyment, if its starting to look suspicious, I will move the rolls to Elliquiy's dice, but i prefer to start with trust and see.
A&A

Flaming

I'm ok with that.

General
Name: Quintos Lionus
Career: Cleric
Home World: Imperial - Shrine World
Divination: Know the Mutant: kill the Mutant. +2 Perception
Quirk: Aquiline Nose
Description: Quintos stands 5' 10", with a fit build square shoulders and proud stance. He always wear clean clothes, mostly white, he shaves regularly displaying a well trimmed beard that runs in thin lines along his chin. Short blond hair are as well taken care of, disciplined as a way to reflect on the outside the same strict attitude of the inside.
Born and grown up on a shrine world of the empire of men, he has been raised as a zealot and a true believer. What he lacks in physical prowess or weapon skill he compensate with willpower and faith. Never questioned his beliefs, never judged his superior choices, the proudest day of his life was when he was chosen by the inquisition. But Pride is a sin and Quintos knelt and accepted the ordination as if he were just a tool in the hands of the mighty empire.
He doesn't carry weapons with him but a steel hammer, its head shaped in the imperial eagle. Is not an effective weapon, intended to be more a symbol than anything else.

Characteristics

Weapon Skill29Ballistic Skills29Strength30
Toughness33Agility35Intelligence36
Perception39Willpower46Fellowship35

Skills

Common Lore (Imperium)Basic-
Common Lore (Imperial Creed)Basic+0
Common Lore (War)Basic-
Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy)Advanced+0
LiteracyBasic+0
Speak Language (High Gothic)Basic-
Speak Language (Low Gothic)Advanced+0
Performer (Singer)Advanced+0
Trade (Valet)Advanced+0
AwarenessBasic+0
InquiryBasic+0

Traits
Blessed Ignorance: -5 Forbidden Lore
Superior Origins: Willpower +3

Talents
Melee Weapon Training (Primitive)
Pisto Training (SP)
Basic Weapon Training (Primitive)

Equipment
Hammer
Chain Coat
Aquila necklace
Eccleriarchy robes
Candles 4
Skull (charm)
Backpack
Geld: 350

Misc
Movement: 3
Fate Points: 2
Wounds: 10

XP
0 (spent 400: Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy), Awareness, Inquiry, Willpower)

Tackyhillbilly

Kaltos Tranton
Cleric
Novice
Schola Progenium

WS 44
BS 32
S 42
T 34
Ag 34
Int 30
Per 33
WP 42
Fel 31

Skills:
Common Lore (Administratum) (Int), Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy) (Int), Common Lore (Imperial Creed) (Int) +10, Common Lore (Imperium) (Int), Common Lore (War) (Int), Scholastic Lore (Philosophy) (Int), Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int), Literacy (Int), Performer (Singer) (Fel), Trade (Cook) (Int), Interrogation (WP), Intimidate (S)

Talents
Basic Weapon Training (SP), Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Pistrol Training (SP), Sheltered Upbrining, Tempered Will, Unshakable Faith, Melee Weapon Training (Chain)

Equipment:

Autopistol (1 Clip), Flak Vest), Aquila Necklace, Ecclesiarchy (Good Quality Clothing), 4 Candles, Charm (Skull), Backpack, Chainsword, Guard Shield

Wounds: 13

Fate Points: 3

Insanity Points: 2

Thrones: 0

Experience:

250 +5 S
250 +5 WS
200 Redemptionist Firebrand
100 Willpower

Divination: "IN THE DARKNESS, FOLLOW THE LIGHT OF TERRA."

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Wintercat on January 19, 2013, 11:29:43 AM
I've also had contact by one more person through private messages who looks good, and though I haven't heard again from HairyHeretic since the initial question, who knows.

Sorry about that, I had a rather intense week, topped off by travelling to a funeral at short notice. Games weren't high on my list of priorities.

Is there still space, and what characters have people submitted? I'd rather not double up on someone else's idea.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

rancorius

Muse

Name: Kathaline Van’Goron
Origin:  Noble Born
Divination:  Die if you must, but not with your spirit broken. 
Homeworld:

Traits: Etiquette, Supremely Connected, Vendetta, Wealth

Weapon Skill:   42*
Ballistic Skill:   36
Strength      31
Toughness      36
Agility      33
Intelligence      33
Perception      39
Willpower:      30
Fellowship      39

Fate Points:      2
Wounds:      13

Skills: 
Awareness (Per)*
Climb ( )*
Dodge (Agi)*
Literacy (Int)*
Pilot: Civilian Craft ( )*
Speak Language: High Gothic (Int)   *
Speak Language: Low Gothic (Int)   *

Talents: 
Ambidextrous
Basic Weapon Training: Solid Projectile
Sound Constitution
Melee Weapon Training: Primitive
Peer: Nobility
Peer:  ???
Pistol Training: Solid Projectile
Thrown Weapon Training

Gear: 
Hunting Rifle with Silencer and Telescopic Sight (16 Rounds)
Mono-Sword
Mono-Knife
Throwing Knives X10
Black Body Glove
Charm (Corpse Hair)
Stim X3

Thrones:  220
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Tybalt

I'd love to play a male hiver scum, specifically from one of the gangs below Gunmetal City.

AusGre

Is this still open for applications? I was hoping to play a Death Korps of Krieg Guardsman.

Wintercat

I am afraid that currently the player list is looking fairly full. I hope to start at the turn of the month, hoping folks are ready by then.

Muse - Seen & Approved (PM & Here)
Pumpkin Seeds - Seen & Approved (PM)
Tackyhillbilly - Seen & Approved (Here)
Primarch - Seen & Approved (PM)

Michael Corvus - Contacted through private messages, expressed interest, not sure how far things are with him.
Flaming - Seen here
HairyHeretic - Mentioned.

I have 4 people with ready characters to play, and Flaming has a ready character to take up the 5th slot. I've been hoping to hear from Michael Corvus who contacted me among the first ,or HairyHeretic, but the discussion with the two has been as brief as you may have seen here.

I'd rather not have aparty larger than 5 members, so I think we're already filled in, Tybalt, AusGre.
A&A

Flaming

End of the month is fine with me, I'll snap out of big work by then. Meanwhile I'll keep working on my character in the little free time I have.

Wintercat

Came to notice a message from HairyHeretic only now, speaking some matters through with HH here, and going to be waiting to hear how things turn out.

On that note, it seems our ready group has 2 Assassins, 1 Scum, and 1 Cleric.

We have 1 Cleric ready and waiting for the 5th slot from Flaming, HairyHeretic has another idea, and no idea about Corvus. Regardless, starting point is next week.
A&A