Interest Check - 4e Forgotten Realms / Planes

Started by Nezahualquentzin, March 19, 2009, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nezahualquentzin

Hello community,

I am new here and after taking a brief look through the forums, decided to see who was interested in participating in a 4th Ed DnD game that starts in the Forgotten Realms (low level) but migrates into the planes.

I don't want to go too deeply into the plot I have in mind, but will share the following information:

* I would be accepting all WotC 4e crafted characters/races/ect.
* I am not satisfied with the lack of information about the planes currently, so I would be pulling much of the content I will be using from older editions (Planescape/Spelljammer/Ravenloft)
* I would rather focus on the story content than the mechanics, but the system rules will allow for conflict and skill challenges to be resolved in a non-debatable manner)
* I would like to have a group that can post at least once a day during the week.

If this sounds like something interesting to you, please jot your name down below. I would like to have an even mix of guys and gals. Please feel free to comment or post questions. Depending on the level of feedback, I will either start up soon or ping the masses later to see if the interest level has changed.

Edit
-----------

Current Roster
Anubis - Invoker
Corinthi - Avenger
Avis habilis - Paladin
Astalinnon - Bard
Zaer - Fighter
schnookums - Sorcerer

Avis habilis

I'd like to give this a try. I've even got WotC's freebie character builder installed.

Nezahualquentzin

Outstanding. I believe you can also print those out to an electronic format, which makes them easier for me to monitor.

For a few tidbits more:

* I would like to start in the bustling metropolis of Waterdeep. Your characters do not need to originate from there, but something in your back story would need to allow for travel there.

* I would like for characters to be of the same alignment bent. I would suggest nuetral to good characters, as they seem easier to motivate and tend to work together better. Team work will be mandatory to topple some goals.

* I do not railroad characters into plots. I have a handful of malleable ideas that will take place in the game, but a history with interesting plothooks will definately affect the storyline.

Please feel to ask any questions that you might have. Please do not let the fact that this game has system elements deter you from playing, as I am willing to assist in character construction  >:)

Zaer Darkwail

When speaking low level then 'how' low levels we are speaking? Anycase I am interested into low level planar expanding game. Anycase 4th edition lacks planar lore because it is plain simple universe structure.

Nezahualquentzin

QuoteWhen speaking low level then 'how' low levels we are speaking?

I am thinking third level. Not a complete novice to the world, but still a neophyte to the powers about them.

QuoteAnycase 4th edition lacks planar lore because it is plain simple universe structure.

Thus I will be pulling and converting many aspects from earlier versions of the game. Oddly enough, there are many things in the 'new' cosmos that I have come to appreciate. There just isn't enough there...yet.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, some old lore may not work anymore as there is no longer separate elemental planes but all are in elemental chaos which is first layer to pass before you reach Abyss. So in mind there is no longer 'separate' dimensions in universe but basically they are connected somehow. Meaning you could use airship from 'prime' to travel to hell without dimensional travel but it takes long time and it is hazardous (at least this mental idea I have how universe has been constructed now).

Nezahualquentzin

Many of the elemental and para-elemental planes were to dangerous for travel. Magical items or spells would need to be in place to counter much of this. That hasn't necessarily changed in 4e, but what has changed is the posibilty of visiting an elemental plane that was useless (featureless such as Vacuum for example).

The manner in which I anticipate bringing back old content centers on pocket dimensions, or demiplanes that were once full blown planes. I really enjoyed the feel of concept planes and mapping (rampant in Planescape, rules of three...etc), so expect to see your characters actions possibly having extensive effect on the enviroment around them.

On a side note, it is not necesarry to have an expansive knowledge of the plane in this game. Limited knowledge of the Forgotten Realms would be nice, but I can assist with character generation should someone need assistance.

Zaer Darkwail

I got core books and player's guide to FR and also campaign book. But also we would need reason why before epic (or end side of paragon levels) we would travel on planes as it is highly hazardous for lower level folk do it consider monster levels in those planes are around paragon sized most cases.

LordAnubis

Are you allowing from all the available books?  Just curious since I've come into posession of a number of them now.

Nezahualquentzin

From all available WotC books, Dragon Magazines, and DDI content. Feel free to use the PHB2 content as well.

The game would start in the Realms and eventually migrate to the planes. I trust the group will be near or at paragon level when the time to jump comes.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, anycase I have loads of concepts but I make char once I see what party needs.

Corinthi

I'd happily play. I've just picked up Player's Handbook 2 and fell head over heels in love with the Avenger.

I'll need to look at the Forgotten Realms gods to pick one that suits.

Assuming, of course, an instrument of divine vengeance would be suitable to your game. I'm actually picturing a lighthearted, cheerful, sort of bubbly person who just happens to be a faith powered assassin.

Zaer Darkwail

What sort class is avenger? Striker? Controller?  Defender? Also I am curious what classes (filling what roles?) came with PHB 2 and has it come stores yet?

Corinthi

Avenger is a Divine Striker with a rather healthy dose of control.

LordAnubis

No, to my knowledge the copies people have of it now are Pirated.

PHB2 makes it so you have divine strikers and controllers, Arcane leader's and defenders, I believe Martial controller and made sure Primal has a full gambit.

Basicly every power source has one of the character types.

Debating, since we already have one striker, I'm tossing up between wizard or Sorceror.  It'd be another striker to the group before we have defenders, I just see things I'd want to do if the game got to play out.

Correction, there still is no martial controller

Zaer Darkwail

If you want defender I have idea for eladrin fighter who uses polearm. Or eladrin swordmage who uses longsword.

Corinthi

Quote from: LordAnubis on March 19, 2009, 05:38:59 PM
No, to my knowledge the copies people have of it now are Pirated.

Incorrect, good sir. Release date was March 17th, and my hardcopy from Amazon arrived this morning. Mmmm, new book smell.

It was available at many Barnes and Nobles on Monday.

On Tuesday it'll be added to the Character Builder, for subscribers to DDI.

Avengers are Divine Strikers.
Barbarians are Primal Strikers.
Bards are Arcane Leaders.
Druids are Primal Controllers.
Invokers are Divine Controllers.
Shamans are Primal Leaders.
Sorcerers are Arcane Strikers. - Much blastier than Warlocks.
Wardens are Primal Defenders.

No new martial classes.

Astalinnon

I don't know if you guys are still recruiting or not but I'd really like to play a bard.

LordAnubis

To my knowledge we haven't filled out the party yet.

Per curiousty, how are we generating characters, point buy or an array? 

Nezahualquentzin

Either point buy or 4d6 drop the lowest.  I am steering towards point buy, but considering alloting 28 points for more heroic characters

Corinthi

Point buy is A-Ok with me, sirrah.

I'm thinking elven Avenger, good aligned, playing up the divine assassin angle with sneakiness and physical skills primary. A holy, pointy eared Ninja, if you will.

Would you be willing to wait until Tuesday for a character sheet, after the character builder is updated? I can free hand it if need be, but the tool is so very handy.

Nezahualquentzin

Definately. I was looking at starting mid to end week, next week. I am hoping that this will allow for a few more players (was hoping for a mix of lads and lasses, but we may start and add others as we go).

As for your avenger, what god were you aiming to smite holy goodness for? I'll whip up a bit about the local temple, its interaction with the surrounding Waterhavians, and its place in the heirachy of the Jewel of the North.

Corinthi

She'll be devoted to the Seldarine as a whole, although I'm picturing followers of Shevarash to have a lot of influence over training Avengers. Personally, she feels the closest to Erevan Ilesere, but keeps that close to her breast, concerned that her standing in the church could be diminished if her Elders felt she was too flippant in her faith, given her role within the organization.

She will have a /serious/ hatred of Drow and a dislike of Orcs. Not trying to warn people away from Drow or Half-Orc characters, but given her job as an assassin for the Seldarine, she'll need a stronger reason to associate with those sort of characters than an invisible PC sign floating over their heads. Even if that reason is just following them around so she can be ready to mitigate their inevitable betrayal.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, I thinked pick the first multiclass feat for warlord so I get handy daily power to help with group healing. As it is still special so I can use it twice per day (and gets better in later levels).

But would need still a leader type round us up if I pick one defender classes.

Nezahualquentzin

Good. I want you to stay true to your character and I appreciate you warning the other participants.  I don't mind seeing some inner party tension as long as it doesn't become a sole focal point.

In addition to a character sheet, I would like character backgrounds. These can be brief or verbose, but the plot hooks you leave me in your past might enrich the game that I have...which I deem as always a good thing.

Edit: I suggest playing what you enjoy. If we find ourselves needing a dedicated healer, an NPC can pick up the slack.