Lost In Space

Started by Lady Jenn, February 26, 2014, 11:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Jenn

Thompson had a pounding headache as he slowly regained consciousness, finding himself lying on his back on the floor, staring at a golden, ornate ceiling. "That's weird," he thought to himself. "I'm sure the ceiling of the mess hall didn't look this fancy last time I checked." He sat up gingerly, wincing as he felt a sharp pain in his right arm and looking around. He was on the bridge of ship, but a quick glance told him it wasn't the one he had been on moments before.

"Hello?" he called out, unsure if there would even be anyone out there. "Someone mind telling me what the hell is going on here?"

Kevak

The words of "AAauuuuuugh! What the hell just happened!" Sounded out from behind a console.
The sound of flailing could be heard for a few minutes before stopping, and another question floated out from behind the console. "Hey, could someone give me a hand here? I'm a bit stuck."

Lady Jenn

"Gimme a second," he said, walking over to the console, finding the gap between the wall and the console so that he could open it and helping the man out. "I take it you're as confused as I am?" he asked, looking around the ship. "Oh, I'm Robert Thompson, I am...I was the engineer on the Merchant vessel the Dryad. Guessing you're not military judging by that uniform," he said, looking the other man up and down warily.

Kevak

"Nah, I'm a freelance programmer, name's Kevak I was on Govath V the last I knew and was walking back to my apartment. Nice to meet you by the way."
Kevak puts his hands to his temples and groans as his ear headset twitches. This place is giving me a headache, I can't get my bearings on any comm-net station and the whole ship is loud in the ultrasound.

(Kevak wears a sensor suite, imagine the necomimi robotic cat ears that Neuroware makes and make them more functional and put a bunch of sensors in there and an electrical hepatic nervous interface [hepatic meaning the system stimulates the nervous system, in this case with electricity in order to get the sensation of feeling from the suite.])

Lady Jenn

"I can probably get this ship to tell us where we are but I dunno if its systems are online, other than life support anyway." He went over to one of the consoles and began pressing buttons, for a moment smiling before his face went pale. "Uh, well I've got some good news and I've got some bad news."

Kevak

Kevak walked quickly over, fingers rubbing his temples. "What is it? What happened? It didn't break right?"

Lady Jenn

"Well the good news is this is definitely a human ship, took me no time at all," he said, biting his lip. "The bad news is the first thing I've discovered is we're in the Andromeda Galaxy. The best ship Earth has couldn't make that journey in less than 150 years."

Kevak

"We'll how the hell did we get here?! Also do we have a heading?"
With this said, Kevak sat down on the floor and groaned loudly. "Shut up ship! Quiet down!"

Lady Jenn

"I don't know," he said, looking through the systems with uncertainty. "It wasn't this ship, I can tell you that. This is at least fifty years old, this is well beyond its tech." He finally found the button to switch on the viewscreen. "Oh god," he said, seeing the sight of hundreds of ships scattered around them. "I'm detecting...everything from large battlecruiser class ships to personal VIP shuttles out there."

Kevak

Kevak stood up suddenly and fired off a flurry of questions.

"Can we talk to any of them? Can they hear us? Do they have a comm-net?"
"How the hell did we even get here if we are in a ship that's fifty years old?!"

He walked over to console in the corner of the room, grabbed a piece of debris, and smashed the console with it. Lights on the ship flickered slightly and then appeared to continue as normal. "Finally some quiet, figured out what was running that was blaring in ultrasound."

"Hope I didn't break anything super important from that."

Lady Jenn

"I think this ship was here already, someone or something put us here," he said. "The weirdest thing is it was powered down, it's like they were expecting someone to be here." He checked the readings. "Good luck contacting those ships, I'm getting..." he paused. "There's literally nothing, no energy signatures, no life signs, if we couldn't see the ships I'd think the computer was malfunctioning, but that's impossible...unless..." he froze. "Shit, we need to reverse right now," he said, the ship lurching backwards. "All those legends among smugglers and I'm not smart enough to realise what's happening." Just visible between the ships was an odd flourescent orb which seemed to be blinking on and off.

Kevak

Kevak falls over as the ship lurches. "Ow Fuck!"

His head begins throbbing again as the ultrasound wailing returns.

"What the hell is going on and why the hell is the sound back?! I thought I broke what was making it!"

And What legends? What is that bluish thing?

Lady Jenn

"They're called Ships Graveyards," Thompson said, staring at the screen. "At least, that's what the smugglers call them anyway, dunno if there's an official name. No-one's absolutely sure what they are, heard everything from some bizarre anomaly to some leftover weapon from a war to some kind of sentient creature. They feed off the energy of a ship, doesn't matter at long distance but there's a point where the harder you try to escape the quicker you're drained. You can imagine dying as your life support slowly fails is probably a pretty horrible experience."

Kevak

Well how the hell do we get away then?
And is it what's making that sound?

Lady Jenn

"We're fine at this distance," he said. "We were drifting towards it but luckily I figured it out while we still had energy to get away. We're safe...well, from that anyway." He winced at the shot of pain up his arm. "Okay, I think we need to figure out where the sickbay is before we do anything else."

Kevak

The sound begins slowly fading.

"Onward then!" Kevak shouts over the sound that only he can perceive.

He walks over to the door and presses the open button. Nothing happens.

"Damnit, I think it's locked, gimme a few minutes and I should have it open." Kevak says as he pries off the access panel.

A port opens in the tail Kevak is wearing and a interface jack pops out, the tail moves and connects to an interface jack.

"This may take a bit, hope you can hold out for a while."

Lady Jenn

"I should be," he said, resting against the computer console with his good arm. "Don't understand the pain though, I've not been shot so I should be fine. My body can hate me sometimes," he said with a nervous laugh.

Kevak

A high pitched beeping sound goes off for a second before a mechanical whine can be heard and the grinding of metal on metal, slowly the antiqued door grinds open.

"Could there be some internal damage?" Kevak asks as he extracts his tail from the access port.
"Lets just hope there is a sickbay on this junker." Kevak mutters.

Lady Jenn

"There will be," he said. "I've finally figured out where I know this ship from. It's the Constantine, it was the EDF flagship before it vanished while responding to a distress signal 50 years ago. I know the design partly because my brother was obsessed with it but also...my uncle was on it when the ship vanished."

Kevak

"Well maybe we can find his body and bring it back with us." Kevak said. "Wait, you know the ship's blueprint? Lead the way then. I'm just walking randomly here."

Lady Jenn

"It's a couple of floors down, for some reason they liked putting sickbay near engineering, think that might say a lot about how safe their engineering section was back in those days," he said, laughing but suddenly feeling slightly woozy.

Kevak

"Dude, you okay over there? You don't look well." Kevak says.

Lady Jenn

"I'm fine," he said, moving his hand to his arm. "Just...oh fuck," he said, moving his hand away and finding blood on it. "Uh, yeah, could we hurry up getting to the sickbay please?"

Kevak

"Yah, is there an elevator or staircase near here?" Kevak said glancing at Robert. "Um dude, you're bleeding.

Lady Jenn

"Yeah, that's why I need sickbay," he said, clenching his teeth. "There should be an elevator at the end of this hall. Besides, it might be worth looking at the last recordings of the crew, might give us a clue or two about what's happening."